Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Adapting a classic:

The King grabbed a syringe from the outstretched hand of one of his nearby breakdancing bodyguards, and plunged it into the man's helpless neck.

"Now you are immune to rubella."

Jrod's lingering, echoing screams of tormented horror brought a slight smile like a crack in Obama's stony brown face as he walked into his lavish velvet-lined office and shut the door behind him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Adapting a classic:

The King grabbed a syringe from the outstretched hand of one of his nearby breakdancing bodyguards, and plunged it into the man's helpless neck.

"Now you are immune to rubella."

Jrod's lingering, echoing screams of tormented horror brought a slight smile like a crack in Obama's stony brown face as he walked into his lavish velvet-lined office and shut the door behind him.

As Jrod slunk to the floor, the blood forming a drop at his neck, he looks up at King Obama,

"At least tell me it was a Free Market developed vaccine....for the love of god, tell me the Free Market lives in this medical solution!"

King Obama cracks a grin and laughs, "No, it's a CDC developed treatment"

The tears being to roll down Jrod's cheeks....

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Disinterested posted:

Real rackets do this all the time. They substitite chaotic criminality for criminality on a schedule with an appointment.

This is literally what early feudal castellanry is - we know how to use weapons, if you give us a share we'll gently caress up all the people who keep stealing your crops.

I don't think it in the least undermines the state to think of it in this way.

I've actually had it presented to me with the logic reversed; a state isn't a really big organized crime group, organized crime is just a really weak and inefficient state competing with the one it occupies.

archangelwar posted:

Its no big deal, I just did not expect the strong reaction.

I am surprised though that JRod is taking more umbrage at the racism accusations than when you compared him to a real life parrot. You basically accused him of being fundamentally incapable of parsing language and ideas yet he fixates on the racism thing. :v:

There have been real parrots who properly assign context to words or associate words to the right objects and colors so this is unfair to parrots.

Parrots are wicked clever.

Parrots.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

There have been real parrots who properly assign context to words or associate words to the right objects and colors so this is unfair to parrots.

Parrots are wicked clever.

Parrots.

Ravens are superior.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

CommieGIR posted:

Ravens are superior.

Tools! They use tools! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Z6Mvjd9w0

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

I've actually had it presented to me with the logic reversed; a state isn't a really big organized crime group, organized crime is just a really weak and inefficient state competing with the one it occupies.

Just as valid.

This is particularly funny, because of course what would happen in libertopia is people would become incredibly vulnerable to organised crime. All of a sudden there is no effective check or restraint against large criminal organisations - they become the organisations, apart from large companies, with the greatest resources - certainly the greatest coercive resources. They also can become, in the Italian mafia sense, dispensers of rudimentary justice and law and order; a rudimentary and disordered state.

Incidentally, in Medieval Italy civil strife became so bad in some cities that one could hire a 'Podesta' from outside you city with no skin in the game to govern it, often dictatorially in order to impose order. That way you didn't try to tear down whoever was in charge because none of you would agree, and he could clear up on cash and bring his own security force with him to ensure compliance with his edicts.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Crows are also attracted to wars. Just like a filthy statist.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CommieGIR posted:

Ravens are superior.

The whole corvidae family are just the best. My local zoo has one huge raven uncreatively named Loki and 50 or so free range peafowl. One time I got to see the raven kicking seed from his food dish outside of his cage, which I just assumed his him being bored or otherwise just messing around to entertain himself. Later on while making our exit lap through the zoo I saw some peacocks eating the seed Loki had kicked out, and the raven waiting near the edge of the bars. When one peacock turned away from the cage the raven plucked one of it's shiny tail feathers. He set a trap because he wanted to steal their pretty butt-feathers. :kimchi:

I wholly believe that bird is smarter than any "great" libertarian philosopher or economist.

E: yay, birdchat!

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

CommieGIR posted:

Ravens are superior.

they are, I'm just saying parrots are still better at understanding things than jrod.

Plus Cockatoos have the super expressive head crest and loving love to dance to music.

Cockatoos are the raddest parrots.

Ravens and Corvids are really awesome too.

Birds. :toot:

I'm done

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

they are, I'm just saying parrots are still better at understanding things than jrod.

Plus Cockatoos have the super expressive head crest and loving love to dance to music.

I'm done

https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights/status/539564722761121793

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hmph! Using tools provided by a "scientific" "experiment," a state-funded one no doubt. Color me unimpressed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Not only that, they've been shown to make extremely advanced skills as far as judgement for how to solve a problem that has not been previously presented.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm surprised no one's brought up ostriches. Although to be fair to them, they don't stick their heads in the sand. Also, they're terrifying creatures.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rockopolis posted:

I'm surprised no one's brought up ostriches. Although to be fair to them, they don't stick their heads in the sand. Also, they're terrifying creatures.

Cassowary.

Living dinosaurs, complete with Utah Raptor disembowling powers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassowary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6YO2L6bFFI

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Moas, motherfuckers

3.6m tall birds that weigh 500 lbs.

They used to be hunted by 30lb eagles.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Cassowary.

Living dinosaurs, complete with Utah Raptor disembowling powers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassowary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6YO2L6bFFI

In terms of unflattering comparisons to birds, I mean.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Emus are related to cassowaries and are the only birds to have fought, and arguably defeated, a modern human army. I am not loving with you. Emus proved too difficult for the Aistrailian military (of a handful of dudes) to defeat, so they gave up.

Technically this one is a win for jrod, because when the government offered a bounty the free market succeeded where the military did not.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Thank you for this

Also for that story Who What Now

All threads should be bird threads

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I'm done

Conures will not only stand on your skull to preen your hair one lock at a time until they've done it all, but if you let them they will also pick the sleep out of the corners of your eyes with their beaks, one of the most disconcerting and yet awesome experiences I've ever had. Live dangerously, or something.

If only they didn't poo poo literally wherever they are when the mood strikes them :sigh:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yardbirds DRO engaged in dispute resolution with Shironeko DRO. El Gato Fuerte y Negro S.A., incorporated in a statist commune (still permissible under the NAP! all its inhabitants are voluntary immigrants), brings suit, armed with the results of a recent environmental study.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQd9kuXpUYU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

In The Once and Future King it's speculated that the Grey Geese are anarchists, but amusingly the geese are also rather collectivist, instead of anarcho-capitalist. Apparently this has not gone unnoticed by the libertarian community

I find it rather charming in that there is this implication that anarchism and collectivism are diametrically opposed, irreconcilably, when the language that T. H. White uses is a early 20th century understanding of the world. We know rather empirically at this point that we are social animals so the implication that we could be like the geese, if only we just stopped trying to control other so hard is amusing. The geese have no property and don't believe in it and rather effectively illustrates that anarchic-capitalist philosophy is a complete oxymoron.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 29, 2015

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

I think this article is somewhat relevant to why marginalized groups are still very much at risk; kinda branches off from the stuff we were saying about how, despite whatever progress seems to have been made, things like the Civil Rights act are still needed;

Crosspost from the pictures thread

in particular this section

quote:

Until the mid-1980s, the law made no distinction between crimes motivated by bigotry and crimes motivated by money, passion or boredom. Murder was murder; vandalism was vandalism. The term “hate crime” arose in response to what was described at the time as an “epidemic” of neo-Nazi and skinhead violence, although in retrospect it’s unclear whether any such epidemic existed. Since then, the number of bias-motivated prosecutions has steadily declined. In California, a state with close to 39 million people, hate-crime prosecutions have fallen 48 percent since 2003, with just 158 bias crimes filed for prosecution in 2012.

A majority of those charged with bias crimes do not fit the stereotype of the squinting, bristle-headed loner sporting a swastika tattoo. Researchers estimate that fewer than 5 percent are members of an organized hate group. Most are young males, either in their teens or early 20s, acting in a group. In a study of Boston hate-crime prosecutions in the early 1990s, two-thirds of the offenders were categorized as “thrill-seeking” — that is, they were groups of young people “looking for some fun” at the expense of someone they regarded as lower on the totem pole. The authors of the study found that many of these offenders weren’t even particularly biased toward their victims but were following the lead of a more biased peer.

Many hate crimes, according to Phyllis B. Gerstenfeld, a criminal-justice professor at California State University, Stanislaus, “don’t have as much to do with the victim as they do with the offender and their own insecurity — which of course is a lot of what’s going on with adolescents in general.”

illustrates exactly why the more low-key racism and bigotry that libertarians tend to demonstrate is so damaging. It's that kind of pervasive social effect that leads to hate violence, not the more overt neo-nazi skinhead poo poo, and though it seems to be in decline it still happens, and it ruins more than just the victims life, especially if the perpetrator is marginalized as well. It's why we need education funding and money put into social programs, because if the circumstances of the one kid's life had been different, he might never have done what he did to the other.

The fact that this kid only did it at the behest of another guy, a guy who got off scott free but who I think is probably the most to blame, shows this isn't something you fight with simple enforcement, which would be the only possible option in libertopia (and probably not very effectively either). And why letting subconscious racist poo poo, like what Jrod spouts, is really the bigger deal when discussing racism.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 30, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Just as valid.

This is particularly funny, because of course what would happen in libertopia is people would become incredibly vulnerable to organised crime. All of a sudden there is no effective check or restraint against large criminal organisations - they become the organisations, apart from large companies, with the greatest resources - certainly the greatest coercive resources. They also can become, in the Italian mafia sense, dispensers of rudimentary justice and law and order; a rudimentary and disordered state.

Oh okay yeah, I see what you're getting at. The Libertarian idea that we have the choice of a world without coercion is a false one, that abolishing the democratic state just means we're giving up the controls and rights and processes obtained after centuries of struggle and returning full control to militarized groups.

It's an especially strange view, because we have examples of private organizations creating and enforcing laws and order, they were called the mafia, they did not care if you gave them a bad review and told your neighbor that they're assholes, in fact other people being scared of them made their job easier, and ultimately they weren't defeated and pushed underground by freedom-loving homesteaders standing up to them and fighting for their rights, but by the might of a powerful organized state.

Even Ayn Rand of all people took one look at ancapism and was like "no, this is dumb as hell, you can't have a free market in force and coercion".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Let's Read: George Reisman's Twitter. You may remember him from

jrodefeld posted:

You have discredited yourself, Caros. Just when I thought we were getting along and having a reasonable intellectual discussion, you go off on this tangent about how everyone who is a libertarian is a "racist", but attacking George Reisman is a bridge too far.

Do you even know who George Reisman is? He is one of the most brilliant living economists and historians. His book "Capitalism: An Economic Treatise" is one of the best and most comprehensive defenses of capitalism and the market economy that has ever been written. The man is incredibly accomplished and a studious intellectual.

and this post.

Oh yeah liberals, well if male chauvanism were real, then why aren't male chauvanists falling all over themselves to save a few bucks by hiring equally-qualified women? Riddle me that, liberals.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

and this post.

Oh yeah liberals, well if male chauvanism were real, then why aren't male chauvanists falling all over themselves to save a few bucks by hiring equally-qualified women? Riddle me that, liberals.

A reminder, Reisman is Professor of Economics at Pepperdine University. And also a self-described objectivist.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

and this post.

Oh those were the days weren't they? :sigh:

quote:

Caros, if you don't do a Let's Read of that Molyneux book the next time JRodimus stops posting for a while, I'll be very disappointed in you.

First off, Jrodimus Prime is now my new name for him. Love it. Secondly I think I'll have to disappoint you. Every version I tried jumbles the poo poo out of the text when you copy paste it, and while I might be tempted to do it if it was just my observations, you can gently caress right off if you think I'm going to try and transcribe that much Molyneux.

Edit: Upon second inspection apparently the web version of it is functional. So who knows.

Caros fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 30, 2015

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
So is this the end of the JRod saga?

This is a man who hated racism so much that even though he did not wish to talk about it, he ignored all other threads in this conversation to address the few who would dare to insinuate that he or his heroes were racists.

Shine on you crazy diamond!

As far as discussing Molyneux, I just don't know man. He's just so vile and idiotic that really trying to confront his ideas is sort of like trying to shoot yourself in the head and live. He's another one who can go on and on for 30 minutes and still fail to create a cogent thought.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Someone upthread posted a link to an article that took down Hoppe's arguementation ethics, but now I can't find it and my googling is failing me. Can someone relink it or link the post, please? TIA.

VVV That's the one!

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 30, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

It should be this post from me if its the one I'm thinking of. If not it is around there anyways.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
tootin' my own horn on this one

Pope Guilty posted:

"Give me all your money or I'll kill you!"

"By making a demand, you've already surrendered your right to kill me!"

"gently caress!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Or
"Hey, give me my wallet back!"
"By engaging me in conversation, you admit that I control this wallet by right. If it wasn't mine to do with as I will, then you wouldn't have recognized my right of choice by making a request."
"Aw, damnit"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 30, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

tootin' my own horn on this one

What happens if the mugger is a moron who doesn't understand the argument and proceeds to shoot and rob the libertarian?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Who What Now posted:

What happens if the mugger is a moron who doesn't understand the argument and proceeds to shoot and rob the libertarian?

The same thing that happens when you die of lead poisoning from contaminated water or agents from your DRO rape your wife and then investigate themselves and find no wrongdoing.

You get to have the moral high ground.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I mean if you can't win a battle when you have the moral highground then you deserve whatever you get.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The libertarian moral high ground can defeat any evil-doer except actual governments.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Moral victories are objectively better than real victories.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wanted to get something clarified from a few pages back:

Smiling Knight posted:

Like most libertarians, you are utterly ignoring the context. The key reason LBJ was able to get civil rights legislation passed when literally every other attempt since reconstruction had failed was because he was able to convince the Dixiecrats using phrasing like this. In this quotation, he was speaking to his friend, Richard Russel, the Giant of Georgia and commander-in-chief of senate segregationists, who had been thwarting civil rights laws for decades. What Johnson did was use his personal relationship and "in-group" bona fides to convince southern senators that civil rights legislation was both inevitable and necessary for him, Johnson, to be elected president. He kept stringing them along, saying "if you just give me this little reform, it will give your old pal Lyndon enough support from those liberals to send him to the Oval Office. Once I'm there, you'll have someone you know to be sympathetic (because I say things like friend of the family and am from Texas) to the negro issue as President."

Of course, once he actually attained the presidency, he threw his old southern senate buddies under the bus, because for all of LBJ's flaws he did actually care about the poor and downtrodden.

Wait, that friend of the family quote that conservatives always love to bring up regarding LBJ was an actual quote? I've only seen it peddled on right-wing sites and chain e-mails, so I figured it was a typical made up conservative quote.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, that friend of the family quote that conservatives always love to bring up regarding LBJ was an actual quote? I've only seen it peddled on right-wing sites and chain e-mails, so I figured it was a typical made up conservative quote.

GulMadred posted:

The first part of your quote can be sourced easily and therefore ought to be. It was said to a group of senators who were concerned that the bill would alienate southern voters. The concluding sentence does not actually appear in the source material. It appears on page 33 of Ronald Kessler's Inside the White House and was uttered by Johnson while he was away from DC during a conversation with two governors.

It is not plausible to imagine that the entire quote was part of a single speech or conversation. Linking the two parts with ellipses is improper (by the standards of journalism or academic writing) and misleading to your readers.

The last sentence doesn't appear in any contemporary sources and first showed up in a book written by a political opponent of Johnson's twenty years after Johnson's death. So you know, totally legit therefore the civil rights act was racist and discrimination is just fine and dandy.

Edit: Also hilarious is that even taking the argument at face value, that LBJ's evil plot was to take full equality of the table by passing a toothless CRA to trick the blacks into voting Democrat because at least that's better than what Republicans will do, that still ought to imply that the moral solution would be to pass tougher civil rights laws, yet somehow nope! Apparently passing a purposely weak CRA discredits Civil Rights forever and now the only way to end racism is to go back to whites only schools and businesses!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 30, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Wanted to get something clarified from a few pages back:

I honestly thought it was real if only because LBJ is the president who talked about his "Bunghole" and his balls while ordering pants. I just assumed he was a crude motherfucker at times. The more you know I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

VitalSigns posted:

and this post.

He does realize that historically that's exactly what many captains of industry did. the entire American textile industry was basically built on the labor of unmarried women and children because they were cheaper to hire, and even today most sweatshops workers in the textile industry are women? Heck probably the only reason third world sweat shops don't enoply nothing but women is the laws of supply and demand which means that as the demand for female labor gos up eventually it becomes cheaper to just hire a man instead. That's without even getting into things like gender biased promotions, unequal pay between professions based on traditional gender roles, or any of the other factors contributing to the pay gap besides strait up paying someone less for the same work. Or is expecting someone to apply even the most basic levels of historic knowledge or reasoning before vomiting whatever comes out of there mouth to much to ask of a librarian?