Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It can be hard to really understand how many items to give people; it doesn't help that years of D&D have ingrained the idea that you have to have magic doodads, no matter how many inherent abilities you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Magic items are fun and should be distributed liberally while taking into account a player's goals for their character

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Honestly I'm starting to shower my group with magic items. Most are kinda weird or situational rather then plain power upgrades. I'm even considering taking out the Quirks system.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Honestly I'm starting to shower my group with magic items. Most are kinda weird or situational rather then plain power upgrades. I'm even considering taking out the Quirks system.

Quirks are the absolute worst idea for balancing or limiting item use. Some players will get them and be like 'gently caress, man, I want more of these improv challenges! And they come with statistical benefits?' while others will outright refuse to use magic items at all to keep their character concept. So either you get people who see them as a bonus, people who hate them enough to avoid engaging with part of the game, or people who just go 'Sure, fine, my guy has an extra pint because of dwarves, can we get back to the game?' Drop Quirks all the time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Quirks are the absolute worst idea for balancing or limiting item use. Some players will get them and be like 'gently caress, man, I want more of these improv challenges! And they come with statistical benefits?' while others will outright refuse to use magic items at all to keep their character concept. So either you get people who see them as a bonus, people who hate them enough to avoid engaging with part of the game, or people who just go 'Sure, fine, my guy has an extra pint because of dwarves, can we get back to the game?' Drop Quirks all the time.

I actually think that tempting players to refuse magic items because they don't want them to affect their character's personality is exactly the intent. Even in-character, it makes perfect sense for a person to hesitate to accept an item, no matter how powerful, if they know it will change things about who they are.

That said, it doesn't make sense for how magic works in my current campaign's setting (for most cases), so I'm not using it, and I think it makes perfect sense to use it or not entirely based on what's appropriate for the setting and the specific campaign. I might still use it for specific items, where "the item affects your personality" is an integral part of how that particular item works or the most appropriate interesting drawback for me to give it, but I definitely won't use it often.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
What I'm thinking of doing is just giving the BIG magical items a specific intelligence built for that item; bigger then the quirks, but far more rare. The rogue's magic hat that always reappears on their head in a jaunty angle whenever they think about it (no matter where they or the hat may be) won't have a quirk, but the dagger the Prince of Shadows made from stars they stole will, and it'll do more then something like "makes you look at lamps a lot"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing. I like the idea of magic items that are almost Faustian bargains: yeah, sure, they're very powerful, but they might just cost you your very identity in the process. It's the kind of thing that presents an interesting choice both in- and out-of-character and should only be used very rarely.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I straight up ripped off a terrible manga about sword ghosts and have all magic weapons not only intelligent, but they talk to the players and can be actively belligerent. The magic sword that the guys got at boltstrike pillar straight up tried to eat the Fighter's soul.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing. I like the idea of magic items that are almost Faustian bargains: yeah, sure, they're very powerful, but they might just cost you your very identity in the process. It's the kind of thing that presents an interesting choice both in- and out-of-character and should only be used very rarely.

I stick with this and limit quirks to cursed items; the great tradeoff for that is that you can make the personality shift really extreme. Realizing you weren't fighting the wandering blackguard so much as you were fighting his sword is a cool plot thing to use sometimes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I guess I'm lucky that my group loves playing the quirks, then. v:shobon:v

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Quirks are funny.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Stolze has started to quote his novel on twitter, or at least one quote from the book.

I kind of like that concept even if it was probably a joke in universe.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I like item quirks, but our games are very light hearted. My DM is pretty liberal with the treasure so shortly before out 3-4 level up most of us were one item over our controllable limit, so we were all magical messes, bickering and arguing with each other over the smallest things.

The necromancer had an item that always made him think it was too hot, the wizard had one that made them think it was too cold. They used rituals to fight over the metaphorical thermostat.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Prison Warden posted:

I straight up ripped off a terrible manga about sword ghosts and have all magic weapons not only intelligent, but they talk to the players and can be actively belligerent. The magic sword that the guys got at boltstrike pillar straight up tried to eat the Fighter's soul.

You can just say you ripped off Bleach and their idea of Zanpakuto.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I guess I'm lucky that my group loves playing the quirks, then. v:shobon:v

I think I mentioned earlier, but the reason I hate them is basically PTSD from 3.PF, where my players eventually revolted against the idea that they were playing collections of magic items instead of themselves. Having the items also forcibly overwrite your personality just feels like it amplifies that thing I and my regular group hate most about magic items.

Dec 26, 2012

I like the quirks because they give the item a little personality to go along with the effect, but I also let my players ignore them, which they frequently do.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
We didn't explicitly set out to ignore quirks, it's just that nobody cared (except for the two times the Chaos Mage got that weirdness that causes all the items to start talking).

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I think I mentioned earlier, but the reason I hate them is basically PTSD from 3.PF, where my players eventually revolted against the idea that they were playing collections of magic items instead of themselves. Having the items also forcibly overwrite your personality just feels like it amplifies that thing I and my regular group hate most about magic items.

I feel like your group must treat them as more of a hard-and-fast rule than the people I've played with. As the book says, "You are not required to roleplay quirks when you’re under the item limit. It’s purely optional." I've found they largely just provide either punchlines, or some guidance/ a start point if I, the player am unsure how my character would react to a certain situation.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The best marriage of quirk and magic item is that cloak from the book of loot that lets you teleport whenever no one's looking at you, which gives you the quirk of ending conversations by waiting until someone looks away and then vanishing.

Because if you've got a cloak like that why wouldn't you just constantly Batman people?

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Ryuujin posted:

Hmm I may have been going off the Escalation Powers fade at the end of a round when the new round begins thing, and not cumulative, to be about only one active at a time. I thought I had seen something else about it too. But I may have misread/misunderstood. If multiple could be active at the same time that would be nice, it would also help with the feeling that AC might be a bit low for a non Blurred Nemesis build. Having multiple Escalation Powers up at the same time does mean I am going to want more of them. If only one could be active at a time then I wouldn't feel the need to have much more than one or two, possibly Augmented, ones.

I expanded on and clarified (I hope) the section on Escalation Powers not stacking with themselves, thanks. I also made it clear that Escalation Powers stack with each other, which is designed to not overpower the class. For instance, the standard versions of Escalating Lethality. Might, and Vitality don't actually do anything until the escalation die reaches 2.
For the AC issue, I didn't want a nemesis with Augmented Escalating Resilience to have a "base" AC that topped off above a paladin with a shield and Bastion-- meaning 18 (with Augmented Escalating Resilience and a rare 6 on the escalation die). Also, a nemesis is probably investing in Con and/or Wis (and Dex with Blurred Nemesis) so that may give you a couple more points of AC to start with.

I am very curious about how the nemesis will play out at other tables. If anyone ends up playing one (or seeing one played), please feel free to post an impression or PM me with detailed feedback.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you backed 13 true ways, Pelgrane is sending out the Dragon Riding issue of 13th Age Monthly for free.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I like that a large part of dragon riding is getting your dragon mount to tolerate you.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Where can you buy that monthly subscription? I can't find it.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Covok posted:

Where can you buy that monthly subscription? I can't find it.

I don't think it's live yet. They say it will go up in the Pelgrane store in February.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

They also announced the price will be $25 for a year, or $3 for individual issues if you don't want to subscribe.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh hey the subscription page is up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Speak of the devil and he shall appear, I suppose.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

They also released a 13th Age soundtrack.

quote:

The 13th Age Age Soundtrack by James Semple and an array of talented musicians and composers includes:
Themes for the icons (wait – one’s missing…?)
Themes for key locations in the Dragon Empire, or ones of your own creation that have a similar atmosphere
Music for frantic chases, fierce combat, exploration, resting and remembrance
Special utility tracks – play “Chase Music” and “Escalation 0-6″ on a loop to sustain the mood for as long as you need

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I'm confused, is $25 for a year, a month, or what

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Myrmidongs posted:

I'm confused, is $25 for a year, a month, or what
It's $25 for a year, which gets you all 13 articles. If you just want to buy them individually at your leisure, then they're $3 a pop. They explained it better in the 13TW backer update.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Were backers getting this free?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Just the one with the rules for dragon riding, since that was promised in the book but had to be left out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In case people are wondering, it's eight pages counting the cover and credits page, is full-color with art, and is done in the same overall style as the main books. Pretty impressive for what's technically a side project.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

By the way, does anyone have any ideas on how to handle a character riding a horse? Or just ignore it and have them move similarly to anyone else because movement is so abstract anyway?

Covok
May 27, 2013

The rules seem sensible enough and the production values are nice. I wish, though, they put more thought into how to change encounters to deal with the additional firepower instead of telling GMs to go with what feels right, essentially. I suppose, as they say, it is hard to give exact numbers since they couldn't playtest these rules as thoroughly as they would like.

Also, am I insane or does the dragon on page four have only one arm?

Edit:

Night10194 posted:

By the way, does anyone have any ideas on how to handle a character riding a horse? Or just ignore it and have them move similarly to anyone else because movement is so abstract anyway?

They hint in the book of working on mount rules for smaller animals. It seems it's basically the same, but non-dragons are going to get things that make them better when mounted.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hey folks. My co-workers have been talking about running a DnD night, and I'm considering giving them 13th Age to try. I have some experience GMing various systems already, so I'm going to offer to GM for them. What should I know for first-time players? Should I give them sheets with mechanical stuff decided and leave unique things/relationships/etc open? What kind of composition could I have to have a decent mix of spellcasting and fighting like the "popular" conception of DnD? I have a few ideas for encounters and undead-smashing fun, but I want to solve these issues first before I get into any story planning.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Deleter posted:

Hey folks. My co-workers have been talking about running a DnD night, and I'm considering giving them 13th Age to try. I have some experience GMing various systems already, so I'm going to offer to GM for them. What should I know for first-time players? Should I give them sheets with mechanical stuff decided and leave unique things/relationships/etc open?
If you're going with pre-gens or making characters for them, then yes.

quote:

What kind of composition could I have to have a decent mix of spellcasting and fighting like the "popular" conception of DnD? I have a few ideas for encounters and undead-smashing fun, but I want to solve these issues first before I get into any story planning.
Find out what types of characters people want to play, then use that as a base for the campaign. It's not going to do you any good to make an undead-smashing game if the players actually want to go kill orcs.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Been thinking of running a Spelljammer game using 13th Age rules, since while there is a PF fan-conversion of spelljammer, running it using that or 2e D&D rules seems like it would end up more like Space Accountancy than Space Pulp adventures.
The main problem I've had so far is converting the Icon rules for use in the Spelljammer setting. Would I be losing much by dropping them altogether, or should I convert the major powers to Icons - the Orkish Armada, the Elven Imperial Navy, etc.? How much do they add to the game?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

So in my experience here's what Icons actually do:
1) The Icons the players put points into serve as a character descriptors. Someone who has a big negative relationship with the Lich King has a story for it and it says something about their characters goals. Someone who is Negative 3 Lich King and someone who is Positive 3 Priestess would probably both be 'Lawful Good' in ye olde system but their Icon relationships highlight the different ways they might go about a mission like "save this village from the sewer ghouls". Characters with relationships with the same Icon have instant common ground or instant friction to build a relationship off of.
2) The Icons the players put points into serve as setting guideposts. The reason the Lich King was the end boss of my campaign was because one PC's One Unique Thing and Icon relationships were all about that. I made the Diabolist a conflicted figure because of the different Icon relationships some PCs had with her. The Icons nobody put points receded into the background.
3) The Icon dice acted sort of as "break the rules" hero points that I let people spin a good yarn to get stuff out of. Them being specific to the Icons gave a starting point to build the story out of and guided how the help manifested, like when a Diabolist 6 let the PC summon up the Demon Princess of Magic (she owed them, it's a long story) to set right a room full of hideously alive decapitated wizards so the party could get back to their adventuring thing. Handing out magic items based off of Icon dice also gives you the Icons flavor for the item and ties the item to the character/world.
4) The Icons themselves as big stock characters and their machinations are handy shortcuts for building plots.

Edit: And I don't think there's any in core/bestiary but I sometimes give monsters powers that trigger off of what Icon relationships the target has, like I had a ghost that would force the target to roll all their Lich King dice and would curse you if any ones came up.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

PublicOpinion posted:

Edit: And I don't think there's any in core/bestiary but I sometimes give monsters powers that trigger off of what Icon relationships the target has, like I had a ghost that would force the target to roll all their Lich King dice and would curse you if any ones came up.

A good post in general, but this is really awesome.