Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

dissss posted:

I'd try using Nine as your EAS client - it is an entirely separate implementation so shouldn't be affected by whatever LG has broken.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Gmail 5 uses its own Exchange Services app. (You'll have to download it from APK Mirror since you're not on a Nexus.)

Nine has the luxury of your work can't pave your phone remotely, just the Nine Exchange section.

thanks guys. I'll give the new Gmail a shot first. I refuse to pay for Nine myself and it'll be like pulling teeth to get the company to do it. The remote wipe won't be an issue cause the only way it'll happen is if me or someone in my department does it.

I can't wait till this phone/version is rooted, I miss titanium backup a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

This weekend, I was taking some pics using the Google Camera. I noticed an HDR option, and when I tapped it, it disabled the flash. Any time I take I picture, I get a pop up error that says:

Camera error
Can't connect to the camera.

Tapping OK closes the camera. At first, I thought it wasn't taking pictures, but I found that it is. Any idea why it's doing that?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Try a force close/clear cache?

That did it. Ty.

Cool app.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

This weekend, I was taking some pics using the Google Camera. I noticed an HDR option, and when I tapped it, it disabled the flash. Any time I take I picture, I get a pop up error that says:

Camera error
Can't connect to the camera.

Tapping OK closes the camera. At first, I thought it wasn't taking pictures, but I found that it is. Any idea why it's doing that?

What phone is this happening on?

Either way, clear data on the camera through the app settings.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Skeezy posted:

This question comes up as often as the best Podcast app.

The official Twitter app isn't terrible nowadays but you'll be at the mercy of promoted posts and stuff like that. Fenix is a very good 3rd party app that works, only costs a buck. Probably your best bet is Fenix, it has a material redesign in the works and has all the fancy features that you'd want.

Plume is a bummer because it really was one of the best Twitter apps for a while but ever since UberMedia bought them up it's turned to poo poo. Every update has some issue or another and it's weird because it's something other Twitter apps don't suffer from.

It's garbage. Cool for those countries or whatever but you're really better off using the mobile site if you're deadset against using the app.
Thanks (and thanks to everyone else talking Twitter apps), I'll give Fenix a go. Would've checked the thread before asking but, you know, it's 660+ pages long and it's not in the OP. I have an undying hatred for promoted posts and ads in general or I'd consider the official app, but also having a dark skin is nice.

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
Does hangouts handle group messaging well? Also, will I be able to send MMS without it being compressed , because I noticed that stock messaging app compresses pictures when sending.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Getimmaaw posted:

Does hangouts handle group messaging well? Also, will I be able to send MMS without it being compressed , because I noticed that stock messaging app compresses pictures when sending.

Yeah hangouts handles group messaging fine. As for the pictures being compressed; that's more of a carrier thing than an app/phone thing.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I suddenly realized my gmail hasn't been syncing in the background for about a week. I've checked everything I know to check, but it seems I have to manually do it or nothing is happening. Nexus 5, latest everything. Help?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Anyone have a good app to find wakelocks for a galaxy note 2?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Someone on reddit found out that if you have an LG phone, there is a hidden non-root permission manager like xprivacy:

quote:

I just found out using this app that the LG G3 has a hidden menu where you can control app permissions without root.

Using any app or launcher that can create shortcuts to app activities, scroll down to settings, and find the access lock activity, and make a shortcut. Here's what it looks like

The Permission Manager is built in to LG's software, it isn't part of Activity Launcher, which is only used to gain access.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Someone on reddit found out that if you have an LG phone, there is a hidden non-root permission manager like xprivacy:
Holy poo poo the fonts in the screenshots on that app:

Edit: FYI this should be visible if your launcher can go through activities to set shortcuts. I know Nova can, I assume others do.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 28, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Holy poo poo the fonts in the screenshots on that app:

Every girl I've ever seen with a Samsung Galaxy phone has it set to look like that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Every girl I've ever seen with a Samsung Galaxy phone has it set to look like that.

Same.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Many years ago, I had a folder app that let me drag and drop apps into folders directly, just like you would on a Windows desktop. I haven't been able to find one to replicate that behavior, the one I have now forces you to go into the folder app and manually select your apps from a list to be placed into a folder.

Can't remember what the drag-and-drop one was called. Anyone know of one that works like that?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I hope they bring the UI from Messenger over to Hangouts at some point. The green has gotten stale but until Ting stops metering SMS I'll need to stick with hangouts to communicate with practically my whole family, who are all on Ting. Being on Cricket I couldn't give a gently caress how many texts I send, but it matters how many they receive.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

regulargonzalez posted:

Many years ago, I had a folder app that let me drag and drop apps into folders directly, just like you would on a Windows desktop. I haven't been able to find one to replicate that behavior, the one I have now forces you to go into the folder app and manually select your apps from a list to be placed into a folder.

Can't remember what the drag-and-drop one was called. Anyone know of one that works like that?

Im either misunderstanding, or this is built into most launchers. Both stock google and nova launcher create a folder when you stack app icons atop each other.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

deong posted:

Im either misunderstanding, or this is built into most launchers. Both stock google and nova launcher create a folder when you stack app icons atop each other.

Ah I should have clarified: that's true, but I hate the little box with mini-icons and would rather have a plain "manilla folder" style icon or, even better, allow me to choose my own icon. Maybe this is possible with launcher-style folders but if so, I can't figure it out.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Same. Plus one guy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Ah I should have clarified: that's true, but I hate the little box with mini-icons and would rather have a plain "manilla folder" style icon or, even better, allow me to choose my own icon. Maybe this is possible with launcher-style folders but if so, I can't figure it out.
I'd imagine most third-party launchers allow you to use whatever icon you'd like for a folder. I know Nova does.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

regulargonzalez posted:

You can do this with Folder Organizer but it's a bit of a pain - can make custom folders for categorized apps but sadly no drag and drop.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Might have finally found a replacement for Gentle Alarm with Life Time Alarm Clock. Looks to have all the features of Gentle Alarm, installed it today and will be trying it out. If this works out I can finally upgrade my S5 to Lollipop.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 29, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

Might have finally found a replacement for Gentle Alarm with Life Time Alarm Clock. Looks to have all the features of Gentle Alarm, installed it today and will be trying it out. If this works out I can finally upgrade my S5 to Lollipop.
It doesn't have a true pre-alarm, it just plays the pre-alarm tone for all thirty minutes until the main alarm kicks in.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

LastInLine posted:

It doesn't have a true pre-alarm, it just plays the pre-alarm tone for all thirty minutes until the main alarm kicks in.

I think I was able to configure the length of the pre-alarm, I'll find out tomorrow how well it works.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

I think I was able to configure the length of the pre-alarm, I'll find out tomorrow how well it works.
If you can that's a change from when I tried it. I even mentioned that to the developer (who seems like a real douchebag for unrelated reasons) and he was pretty explicit about that being intended behavior and that he wouldn't consider changing it.

His reasons for it were particularly baffling to me as he said that he wanted to avoid an overly complicated settings pane which makes sense until you go through the settings panes in that app. They're a complete clusterfuck in terms of where things are and how many options there are for everything that it would seem to be that if you're going to commit to "an option for everything" then by god everything should have an option. The fact that he considered what was there to be "simplicity" (his words) then I figured I'd have more problems with design direction down the road.

Re-reading our correspondence, I see that another thing it lacked was a declining snooze which while I don't need it often is really important those times when I do need it. And his suggestion regarding the pre-alarm was to "[set] an alarm 30 minutes before your regular alarm, setting it to a pre-alarm tone, and going down to the bottom of the settings and choosing 'maximum ring time' of 10 minutes." Uh... no.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

With Nova, stick a Folder icon on your device. Set up all your folders however you want them (put whatever apps you want in them). Long press on the folder, and select Edit from the menu that pops up. Tap on the icon to the left of where you name the folder, use the Gallery to find the Folder icon you put on your device, tap OK on the Crop Image screen, tap the check mark in the top left corner of the Edit Folder screen, and you're done.

The only downside is that you have to manually do it to each folder you make. AFAIK, it can't be done en massé, unless you install a theme that uses the folder icon you want.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
My mom's galaxy s4 mini doesn't play nice with Google fit. It works fine as a step counter, but it doesn't seem to want to record walking or cycling activities. I checked everything I can think of, location sharing is enabled, GPS is enabled, etc. Nothing. Anyone has any idea why this might be?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

LastInLine posted:

If you can that's a change from when I tried it. I even mentioned that to the developer (who seems like a real douchebag for unrelated reasons) and he was pretty explicit about that being intended behavior and that he wouldn't consider changing it.

His reasons for it were particularly baffling to me as he said that he wanted to avoid an overly complicated settings pane which makes sense until you go through the settings panes in that app. They're a complete clusterfuck in terms of where things are and how many options there are for everything that it would seem to be that if you're going to commit to "an option for everything" then by god everything should have an option. The fact that he considered what was there to be "simplicity" (his words) then I figured I'd have more problems with design direction down the road.

Re-reading our correspondence, I see that another thing it lacked was a declining snooze which while I don't need it often is really important those times when I do need it. And his suggestion regarding the pre-alarm was to "[set] an alarm 30 minutes before your regular alarm, setting it to a pre-alarm tone, and going down to the bottom of the settings and choosing 'maximum ring time' of 10 minutes." Uh... no.

The pre-alarm is now adjustable and the fade-in can be set to a max of 5 minutes, I messed up and had it set to ten seconds which was a little unpleasant this morning. The most disappointing part was that the challenges are really easy/basic and it's only triggered when you dismiss the alarm (I prefer to have it for each snooze).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

The pre-alarm is now adjustable and the fade-in can be set to a max of 5 minutes, I messed up and had it set to ten seconds which was a little unpleasant this morning. The most disappointing part was that the challenges are really easy/basic and it's only triggered when you dismiss the alarm (I prefer to have it for each snooze).
Can you have a declining snooze? I know there are other safeguards to offset it but all of them are more unpleasant to me than declining snooze.

Man, I wish Tunga would get off his rear end and develop an alarm clock app! ;) (Also make a good Material Forecast.io weather app while you're at it.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone got the new MS Office running on a phablet yet? I'm trying to get it onto my OPO running at 300 DPI but the Store won't let me and I can't find the apks anywhere.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Man, I wish Tunga would get off his rear end and develop an alarm clock app! ;) (Also make a good Material Forecast.io weather app while you're at it.)
:effort:

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

(Also make a good Material Forecast.io weather app while you're at it.)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samruston.weather

?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Can you have a declining snooze? I know there are other safeguards to offset it but all of them are more unpleasant to me than declining snooze.

I don't think you can do declining snooze unless I'm missing an option somewhere.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

He said he doesn't like that.

Of course, he's the wrongest of the wrong, but what can you do?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Microsoft announced they deployed Outlook for Android (different than OWA for Android). If you have Nine, keep it - it's better than stock but nowhere near as good as Nine.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I got a Moto X2 yesterday and I just want to ask real quick: Are there any good boxing timer apps (an interval-based workout timer app with timers for rounds and rest periods)?

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

I spent forever going through all of the apps looking for a functional player for MP3/M4A/FLAC over SMB/CIFS network shares, and found this, which isn't listed on the Play store for some reason: http://www.appjenny.com/Android/App/com.ottava.concerto

Dead simple and works perfectly with everything except high-resolution (above 48kHz) FLAC--ArmAmp and Neutron can stream them, though. (Since Android is limited to 16/44 it's kind of pointless, anyways.) Soumi and XenoAmp play standard-rez through the system renderer but their impossible interfaces are clearly designed by autists.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

He said he doesn't like that.

Of course, he's the wrongest of the wrong, but what can you do?
Actually I'm in a beta group for a Material weather app called Simple Weather that is 100% Material but despite it using Forecast.io, out doesn't really the feature the hyperlocal aspect the way I need so I'm still using Arcus mainly. I really can't do without "rain is starting in five minutes, put the top up, dumbass" warnings.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I've been through just about every apparently great keyboard there is, before finally settling on the google one. I was about to ask why the heck it won't let me use horrible words and then I accidentally found an option hidden away (while looking for options in google search) that automatically stops swear words! THOSE FUCKERS!

anyway I've used flexsy, and swype, and swiftkey. Is there nothing better?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I've been through just about every apparently great keyboard there is, before finally settling on the google one. I was about to ask why the heck it won't let me use horrible words and then I accidentally found an option hidden away (while looking for options in google search) that automatically stops swear words! THOSE FUCKERS!

anyway I've used flexsy, and swype, and swiftkey. Is there nothing better?
There's certainly nothing that is such a great compromise between SwiftKey and Swype.

vv And likewise the next word prediction sucks on Swype compared to Google or SwiftKey.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

There's certainly nothing that is such a great compromise between SwiftKey and Swype.

The Swype feature in SwiftKey really sucks when compared to Google or Swype proper. Depends on if you actually use it I guess.

• Locked thread