Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Gaz-L posted:

It also fits into the show's opening voiceover: "To the city, I am someone else... something else."

Oliver's become a symbol, as the Arrow. Laurel and Roy are trying to use the same symbolism to cover for their shortcomings.

I like how we're seeing just how much Oliver was not a superhero when he came back. It's giving me a better sense of how Oliver saw what he was doing at the start of the show, and how he really did just see his late-night antics as nothing more than just another wetwork assassination mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

He's an MMA fighter but all we've seen them do is boxing.

From all those pictures she posted, Katie Cassidy might be training harder than Laurel is supposed to be.

I wanna see Laurel try to shoot in for a takedown on Brick next episode.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

DarklyDreaming posted:

From way back but:

Motherfucker I was joking when I posted that :stare:

I posted the "DJ is LOA" theory and was NOT joking about it!

bbf2 posted:

It looks like the reason Oliver goes there is because the League captured or threatened Thea (presumably to get to Malcolm).

Is it possible that the purpose of the douchey DJ guy was that he was actually a LOA plant put there to help them do that?

bbf2 posted:

Ha, well I was thinking that if that were the case, then "Douchebag DJ" wasn't actually a real person, that he was a persona of a spy/actor guy who works for the League who was only pretending to be a surfer DJ bro in order to get close to Thea because they figured that would be the sort of person she would be into.

And that would be an explanation of why he's such a caricature verging on parody, because was basically a persona artificially created to answer the question "What type of person would a stupid shallow 19 year old American girl be into?"

I hope I'm right about the second part and everything about the persona he's presented to Thea is entirely an act.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So, was he a DJ before joining the League, or was it part of his training? We need to know.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Krad posted:

So, was he a DJ before joining the League, or was it part of his training? We need to know.

"I was just a boy when I dropped my first beat. I remember what I felt: fear, that the mix was lame and the club wasn't about it. But I also felt something else: pride, that I tore the motherfucking roof off the joint."

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That scene in the Hong Kong nightclub gave me a wonderful idea. Arrow videogame, with the Sleeping Dogs engine.

Also every time Brick says anything I mentally add "you slag" to the end of it. Any role Vinnie Jones ends up in, I always do.

Oh, and Laurel will have to fake Sarah's death in front of her dad or he's just going to keep pestering her.

And finally, just finished watching this episode and OH MY GOD THE DJ IS AN ASSASSIN :ohdear:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Nanda Parbot is littered with the corpses of failed LOA candidates who submitted a mix of Sandstorm. Such paltry beats aren't fresh enough for thme Demons Head

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Please refer to him by his proper League name, الميت ماوس.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Whizbang posted:

Please refer to him by his proper League name, الميت ماوس.

:golfclap:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

McDragon posted:

That scene in the Hong Kong nightclub gave me a wonderful idea. Arrow videogame, with the Sleeping Dogs engine.

Nah man, nah. The best way to handle that would be to take a modified Shadow of Mordor, Nemesis* System and all.

*Rogue system. Rogue's Gallery?

McDragon posted:

Oh, and Laurel will have to fake Sarah's death in front of her dad or he's just going to keep pestering her.

I think she'll just wind up telling him. Something will happen that will force her to do it, and she'll need to come clean about lying to him too.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Nah man, nah. The best way to handle that would be to take a modified Shadow of Mordor, Nemesis* System and all.

*Rogue system. Rogue's Gallery?

Oh my goodness, that's even better. They'd have to tone down the violence a bit or Starling City would suddenly become a decapitation hotspot though. :v:

King of Solomon posted:

I think she'll just wind up telling him. Something will happen that will force her to do it, and she'll need to come clean about lying to him too.

And yeah, I think this is how it's probably going to go.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
She's gonna lose her mask and he'll see her.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Or lose the wig

Vvvvvv Yeah Team Arrow really needs to recruit a doctor. Some day Ollies Magic herbs aren't going to be enough

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 30, 2015

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
If she ends up in the hospital, it'll be pretty hard to explain things.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Or he'll see her on TV again and think, "Wait a second, my assassin daughter doesn't fight like poo poo."

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I'm disappointed Oliver was just better after a couple of stitches and some penicillin. I was hoping for full on Lazarus Pit magic or something. Instead we get ah, just some bandaids! That'll fix your punctured lung.

Yeah, that's kind of bumming me out. He's not coming back from the dead or anything, he just...somehow didn't die. The world's greatest assassin took away his swords, clowned on him without breaking a sweat, and then totally missed any vital organs while stabbing him right through the torso and then kicked him gently off a God drat cliff without even breaking any bones. Even in comic book world that's kind of dumb. It's not even outlandish, just lame.

Here, take some herbs and walk it off, Ollie.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They should've Miracle Maxed it* with a bottle of Lazarus Pit solution.

* - "It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Accretionist posted:

They should've Miracle Maxed it* with a bottle of Lazarus Pit solution.

* - "It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead."

Mister Miracle could have escaped it without a Lazarus Pit!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BrianWilly posted:

I actually like Laurel's plot right now and I'm looking forward to seeing it play out but man the actual dialogue they're writing for her is just...really stilted at best. I just don't get it. It's like they take the most innocuous phrases that humans should say and scramble them into clunky-sounding fake TV dialogue. A completely simple and straightforward concept like "I tried to be a hero and it just made things worse" turns into the utterly weird-sounding "I thought being Sara would make it hurt less but instead it caused more pain."

Like, gosh, I know she's trying to uphold Sara's legacy but that doesn't mean she needs to uphold Sara's cringeworthy dialogue too.

It feels odd to contrast the dialog of this show with Flash. I enjoy both of them but the dialog on Flash flows so much better. Cheesy as hell, but it feels (mostly) natural. I'm not sure how much of that is up to the writers and how much the actors.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So I wonder how Katana's kid dies. I assume he will be murdered and in grief Maseo joins the League in a sort of parallel to Malcolm.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Bruceski posted:

It feels odd to contrast the dialog of this show with Flash. I enjoy both of them but the dialog on Flash flows so much better. Cheesy as hell, but it feels (mostly) natural. I'm not sure how much of that is up to the writers and how much the actors.
Flash seems to go for more of an "aw shucks" cheesiness, while Arrow goes more for melodrama type of cheesiness. I think the first kind is easier to sell in general, and the fact that the cast is so likeable makes a lot of those lines feel more earnest. Arrow's dialogue needs a certain intensity that some of its actors can't pull off as well; on the other hand, you give those lines to someone like Barrowman or Manu Bennett and they relish them.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
http://comicbook.com/2015/01/30/arrow-uprising-photos-show-team-arrow-with-merlyn/

Some photos from next week's ep and a few details:

-Merlyn is teaming up with Team Arrow. Brick may or may not be the one who killed his wife.

-Sin apparently returns next week.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Please somebody get my a gif of Laurels rear end followed by Dig gazing "dramatically" from the intro.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

So I wonder how Katana's kid dies. I assume he will be murdered and in grief Maseo joins the League in a sort of parallel to Malcolm.

My guess is that Waller pushes against China White and he blames both of them, thus joining the League.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I feel like he'd be all hopped up on vengeance and stuff if that happened and he didn't seem to be particularly angry at anyone right now. My guess is that he probably blames himself for whatever happened. And who knows, he's such a loose cannon about things that he may well be right.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Next week's episode looks so friggin' good.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

hcreight posted:

Laurel has been perfectly fine through this whole arc and her move towards superheroics has been no more ridiculous than Roy "I have training from Oliver and YEARS ON THE STREETS" Harper's. Deal with it.

The thing I love most about this is in terms of skill and experience Roy is miles ahead of Laurel and Diggle is miles ahead of Roy. So of course, he is the one left behind for mission control.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The synopsis for "The Return" has been released

Obviously it has spoilers.

Just, wow :suspense:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am considering skipping the flashback parts altogether, I got bored by the Island towards the end, but the China flashbacks don't hold my interest at all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This is going to be so awesome :aaaaa:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Oasx posted:

I am considering skipping the flashback parts altogether, I got bored by the Island towards the end, but the China flashbacks don't hold my interest at all.

If there are parts of the show you would consider skipping, perhaps the show is not for you at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My 3 minutes are precious.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Aphrodite posted:

My 3 minutes are precious.

If I watch them how will I bitch about poo poo not making sense?!?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

GreenNight posted:

If I watch them how will I bitch about poo poo not making sense?!?

To be fair, it does seem that you only need the basic gist of what happened in China to make any connections with the current events (basically you only need to know who was who), and the events in China do seem a bit too generic and uninteresting altogether.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Oliver and Thea teaming up means that he'll get exposed soon... maybe as soon as next episode :neckbeard:

Diomedes
Dec 24, 2005
If we choose, we can live in a world of comforting illusion.
The thing that annoys me most about Oliver's surviving is that even if they weren't allowed to use Lazarus pits by name or show them, they could still have worked around that in such a way that they effectively were used without breaking the rules. It wouldn't have taken much. Maybe Maseo brings the body, Katana examines it and says "He's too far gone. You know what this requires". Maseo nods, maybe they take him into a cave or something, next thing we know Oliver is waking up, asks how cause he knows he was hosed up, Katana fobs him off and says it's not for him to know. Done. She can still give him some herbs as well, if they're so keen on them, but at least it would have been better than the ridiculous recovery he ended up making.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They didn't say they weren't allowed. In fact they've basically said yeah they exist but they aren't using them for Ollie.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ollie survived the stabbing and fall because he's a stone cold badass. That's all there is to it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

His sweet abs protected his lungs and stomach. The salmon ladder helps protect against being shanked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Nate Falls posted:

Yeah, that's kind of bumming me out. He's not coming back from the dead or anything, he just...somehow didn't die. The world's greatest assassin took away his swords, clowned on him without breaking a sweat, and then totally missed any vital organs while stabbing him right through the torso and then kicked him gently off a God drat cliff without even breaking any bones. Even in comic book world that's kind of dumb. It's not even outlandish, just lame.

Here, take some herbs and walk it off, Ollie.

I sort of thing Rhas specifically didn't mean to kill him and instead did a surgical disabling strike, knowing that Ollie didn't kill Sarah, but he had to honor his trial by combat challenge. I really hope that's the case.

I dont know posted:

The thing I love most about this is in terms of skill and experience Roy is miles ahead of Laurel and Diggle is miles ahead of Roy. So of course, he is the one left behind for mission control.

Diggle is basically the Worf of this show. He gets beat on to show how tough a bad guy is. I'd really like them to do more with Diggle, like give him some really specific skill in tactical awareness or something where his military training will really be useful. As it is, he's just guy with gun, and he ends up getting punched in the face all the time.

• Locked thread