Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would get together some money and buy whatever car qualifies, but it has to be something you wouldn't otherwise try. Might I suggest an AMC Eagle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm getting $1 back on my tax return. Everyone else I work with is getting $1200 or more.

I hate everything.

I owe massachusetts a dollar somehow

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Drag that out as long as possible.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would get together some money and buy whatever car qualifies, but it has to be something you wouldn't otherwise try. Might I suggest an AMC Eagle?

yeah I have like $1800+ however much I get back from RMAing the car parts for my e30 that I never had a chance to install but christ it hasn't even been 2 weeks yet

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Buy Sperg's car and drive the rust off of it.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

http://www.itv.com/news/west/story/2015-01-29/yellow-car-spoils-the-view-for-snappers/

Holdbrooks and the rest of the hot hatch thread needs to get over there and set up a lovely 'colors of autumn' collection on this street. I think the residents would love it!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Wally Joyner posted:

Buy Sperg's car and drive the rust off of it.

nope i'm gonna buy a 32 year old diesel m-b instead

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Keepin' it Bavarian.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

A thousand times this, kick cancer's rear end.

I've kicked the idea around of doing this a few times but it seems like the ROI in terms of time might be mind-boggling. How did you keep track of all of it, or did you shove it all in a shoebox and enter it all in at the end of the year?

*not giving tax, legal or financial advise*

I have an ex that is a tax lawyer and she said credit card statements that list the business name, date, and location can be used as primary proof, the actual receipts are retained as backup. For the physical receipts, it was a matter of shoving receipts into a shoebox, then once a month putting them in date order and clipping them together.

I use my Discover card for all personal expenses. Discover gives me 18 months of detailed records, downloadable to an Excel file. It then becomes a matter of filtering out payments, non-taxable services, etc. Then splitting the location from the business name text. Then looking up the tax rates for each city/state combo. Then calculating how much of each item was tax. It took like 20 minutes. The hardest part was filtering out services -- some stores tax services, some don't. For example, my dry cleaner charges tax, the company that washes my car in the winter does not. Gas stations are tricky, so I made a point of buying gas to the nearest whole dollar and making sure when I bought soda or whatnot from inside that it didn't round to the nearest dollar.

I figured it would be a good year to try this method since the IRS is so shortstaffed :haw:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

http://www.itv.com/news/west/story/2015-01-29/yellow-car-spoils-the-view-for-snappers/

Holdbrooks and the rest of the hot hatch thread needs to get over there and set up a lovely 'colors of autumn' collection on this street. I think the residents would love it!

I'm in. People will whine about anything these days.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Eh, I have a love/hate relationship with tax time. I'm pretty conservative on my withholdings so I typically get a decent refund, which is nice. I hate that one of my banks waits until the last possible minute to actually send out my tax forms, so I typically spend a month waiting around for that one form to be available before I can properly file. Wisconsin can blow me for taxing my income earned out of state when I was not a resident some years ago which ended up resulting in me owing Wisconsin about $1500.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Wally Joyner posted:

Keepin' it Bavarian.

Mercedes is Swabian. You just did the German equivalent of calling a Southerner a Yankee.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So I just signed a job offer after more than a year of searching.

Tomorrow I get to go in and quit, which is going to be awkward.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I've always hated putting in my notice because I always bust my rear end everywhere I work, and everyone's always super let-down when they find out I'm leaving. When I was offered my current position, I was nervous all day about giving the HR Director my notice (for a dumb bullshit job that I absolutely hated), and when I finally did he threw a hissy-fit, deactivated my swipe card and walked me out the front door. Whatever, two weeks of vacation for me.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Congrats! I got a call Monday from a company I turned down (due to terribly wrong promises/misleading current company who bribed me to stay) asking if I would be interested in a even better position! I can't wait to leave this place. I'll be amazed if they don't just walk me out the door.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

the spyder posted:

Congrats! I got a call Monday from a company I turned down (due to terribly wrong promises/misleading current company who bribed me to stay) asking if I would be interested in a even better position! I can't wait to leave this place. I'll be amazed if they don't just walk me out the door.

Everybody in AI getting new jobs it seems. I am just waiting for my customary interview now.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
So I just added a bunch of you jerks on FB becaus I'm bored at work and my feed is lame. Add me if you want, and expect pics of orange things.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
A "special" cat has made my back patio it's home tonight. She's skin and bone, the most affectionate thing I've ever seen (seriously affectionate), and mostly blind. She can sense difference in light changes up close but that's about it as far as i can tell. Her facial structure is a bit off too, it's hard to explain and I'll post a picture later but like her cheek bones are pushed forward slightly. It breaks my heart but I already have three cats and honestly can't take another one in. Ugh I don't know what to do.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Holdbrooks posted:

Everybody in AI getting new jobs it seems. I am just waiting for my customary interview now.

Keeping mine, but they just promoted me to a supervisory role. Let's see how much stress it takes to ruin it for me. :)

Holdbrooks posted:

So I just added a bunch of you jerks on FB becaus I'm bored at work and my feed is lame. Add me if you want, and expect pics of orange things.

Added. I am a fan of orange things.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 30, 2015

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Holdbrooks posted:

For Pharmacy Manager or are you going to go off the rails and become a Willow analyst? :3:

Or I guess you could go into direct patient care with Anti Coag or something :)

On the tax chat topic I just finished mine and my refund is going to be big enough that it's got me thinking I should really adjust my W4 since Mat Jr is due 2/11 and our government is pretty nice to breeders like myself. I don't need them holding TOO much of my money.

Liquid Communism posted:

Keeping mine, but they just promoted me to a supervisory role. Let's see how much stress it takes to ruin it for me. :)

Added. I am a fan of orange things.

:hfive: fellow new supervisor. Do you think HR will have issues if I jokingly yell 'Everyone is fired!"? :)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Holdbrooks posted:

I wish I could get a new job. :/ Just finished at Trade school and heading into college, and the Tech center has been pretty much useless compared to what they said they'd do.

Enrollment: "Oh sure, we'll get you placement right out of school! We work with contractors in the industry!"
Teacher: "Well you can apply here, here and I found this place..."
Me:"Ok, who specifically should I email, who's your contact and are you going to recommend me?
Teacher: "...."

Oh well, least I have college to look forwards to again.

E. Sent a request, my feed needs Orange in it.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 30, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'm not leaving my job any time soon.

I did get a decent refund but its going all towards wedding stuff.... But hey if I didn't spend it on our future I would piss it away on something stupid!

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Mat_Drinks posted:

For Pharmacy Manager or are you going to go off the rails and become a Willow analyst? :3:

Or I guess you could go into direct patient care with Anti Coag or something :)

My other hospital wants me to come back and start an ER program for pharmacist there. So it will be a more clinical job than me current pediatric gig and direct patient care at the bedside which will make use of the doctorate that I got. So I'm pretty excited to do it but not sure if they can make it worth while to commute 600 miles a week until I hire another person to work with me and go to a 7 on 7 off rotation again.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm not leaving my job any time soon.

I did get a decent refund but its going all towards wedding stuff.... But hey if I didn't spend it on our future I would piss it away on something stupid!

liiiiiike the old bike in my garage?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Holdbrooks posted:

My other hospital wants me to come back and start an ER program for pharmacist there. So it will be a more clinical job than me current pediatric gig and direct patient care at the bedside which will make use of the doctorate that I got. So I'm pretty excited to do it but not sure if they can make it worth while to commute 600 miles a week until I hire another person to work with me and go to a 7 on 7 off rotation again.

That sounds pretty drat good, but wow what a brutal commute.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015

Mat_Drinks posted:

That sounds pretty drat good, but wow what a brutal commute.

Yeah I did it for two years working overnights to get hospital experience to move down to the university. But it's not that bad it is all interstate and 4 turns from the house and only takes me 45 min to get there vs the 35 it that takes to drive through town to the university hospital.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I'm trying to stop spending on cars and pay off consumer debt. Good god it's boring. All I do is eat and get drunk and watch netflix. Every time I do laundry it reminds me that another week has gone by where I didn't do anything except get a little more financially secure.

Oh well, did my taxes, getting $500 from the feds, dunno about state yet. Around $6000 to go. If I completely stopped eating out and drinking, and had no surprise expenses I could pay it off in 4-6 months. But then I'd be even more bored than I am now. I don't even want to work on my cars because all I do is think of ways to spend money.

Sigh. I hate trying to be a grown-up.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Just found a rounding error in our company's time tracker database, apparently I still need to account for 7E-15 hour's work.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Don't blame the computer for the fact that you've been slacking off for 25 picoseconds. That's nearly half a picominute! Time is (infinitesimally small) money, friend.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

MrChips posted:

Mercedes is Swabian. You just did the German equivalent of calling a Southerner a Yankee.

Its a good feeling, this one is.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Don't blame the computer for the fact that you've been slacking off for 25 picoseconds. That's nearly half a picominute! Time is (infinitesimally small) money, friend.

Every little helps!

After a hosed up January, things are finally looking up: got paid yesterday, woken up this morning by a phonecall from a client who wants to throw another £1k at me. At this rate I might actually be able to afford a car by the end of the year.

wherein I will make terrible choices and entertain the AI bloodgods

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Just changed the oil on the Ion. It was halfway between the add and full marks on the dipstick.

Uh.. that oil filter has seen better days. Wix filter at that. But given the fact it's seen about 8k miles, okay, I can expect it to deform a little bit.

This... this doesn't look good, does it? :ohdear:

That was about 4.5 quarts of Mobil 1 high mileage 5W30 with about 8k (capacity is 5 quarts). I've never seen that kind of sheen on oil unless metal poo poo is contacting metal poo poo. :suicide: The engine sounds brand new though, so I'm just going :wtc: at the moment and hoping the high mileage oil washed a bunch of poo poo out of the engine. It's always seen Mobil 1 of some sort since the first time I changed the oil (I've put 42k on the car, it had fresh unknown oil in it when I got it, so I changed it after I'd put 2k on it).

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've kicked the idea around of doing this a few times but it seems like the ROI in terms of time might be mind-boggling. How did you keep track of all of it, or did you shove it all in a shoebox and enter it all in at the end of the year?

Personally, I've started keeping track of miles driven for work, and I keep track of every fillup. I figure at the end of the year, I can do maths to figure out an average MPG for the year, then average out what I spent per gallon on gas, then use that to average out how much of my money went to fuel. Then figure out how much of a percentage of my driving was spent at work, and use that to figure out a percentage for all other expenses on the car (oil changes, tires, etc).

I should have done that last year; over 20k miles (which would have put me far over the IRS standard deduction just on miles alone), but I didn't document how much was work or personal. I actually found a mileage tracker logbook at Walmart for a few bucks at the beginning of the year, and it had a spot to enter the mileage at the beginning of the year.

torpedan posted:

That's pretty spiffy using natural gas as a base stock and makes it more of an actual synthetic than the highly refined products. Honestly, if they get the desired base stock it really does not mater the process unless there is a glaringly obvious reason to choose one process over another.

Filter wise, Fram makes everything from filters which are a absolute crap to products which start to compete in higher end market segments. The biggest reason I avoid their products is that product quality can vary significantly from one manufacturing location to the next. At least with a cartridge filter you can do a quick visual and see if there are any major issues (both before you install it and after you remove it.)

I opened the box the filter was in before purchase, and noticed it actually includes a new O-ring for the filter housing - something even the OEM filter doesn't include. Fram got a really bad reputation for using cardboard endcaps within their canister filters, but this one looks to be on par with the Wix filter I currently have, and better than the OEM filters.

Their lineup seems to be "Extra Guard" (the crap, box claims good for 5k, claims 90% filtration), Tough Guard (what I bought, and the box claims it's good for 10k, claims 99% filtration), Ultra Synthetic (also claims 99%), and "High Mileage", which mentions nothing about filtration efficiency, just claims to include "additives" (if I wanted extra additives, I'd add them myself). Their packaging claims a typical oil filter filters at 80% efficiency - the $3 Purolator filter Walmart sells claims 97%. Except they don't list a Purolator for my engine, but they do list one for the Saturn Ion Red Line (which uses the same AC Delco and Fram filters as my car :confused: ).

Wal-Mart sells AC Delco filters, but the last one I used came apart when I removed it. I used a Wix (Napa Gold) filter during my last oil change. The Blackstone analysis should be interesting on this one.

I'm half tempted to go change the oil right now. It's fairly nice out right now, and the car is parked on the curb. Should take all of 10 minutes, including collecting a sample for Blackstone.

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm getting $1 back on my tax return. Everyone else I work with is getting $1200 or more.

I owe $262, and make slightly above minimum wage. :rolleyes:

I'm half tempted to just say gently caress it and let them take it out of next year's refund - the interest and penalties shouldn't be too bad, and may be less than the fees to set up a payment plan. I got hosed hard by Pizza Hut, they set up my withholding all sorts of hosed up. IIRC i selected my withholding as 1 or 2, and by my math, they set it up as 4.

fjelltorsk posted:

quick story to illustrate. In the locker room at the firehouse i used to have two tennis balls hanging in small net on my locker. i used them as a stress relief if we had a bad gig. when i got back from the hospital after having one of my testicles removed, there was only one ball left... i guess to illustrate my now short stacked scrotum. i laughed so hard i had to change underwear

I'm laughing my rear end off just picturing the missing tennis bal, but I would have made sure there was a way to play this song when you opened the locker.

(also, kick the poo poo out of this cancer poo poo, k?)

SouthsideSaint posted:

They are also notorious for leaking at the axle seals. Mostly the inner one behind the engine. But saturns have always leaked from valve covers....ALWAYS!!!

:ssh: It's not a real Saturn, it's a badge-engineered Chevrolet Cobalt. Mechanically it's identical to a Cobalt, except for the clutch master cylinder. Same L61 Ecotec 2.2, same Getrag F23.

Axle seals aren't leaking, even though it's 9 1/2 years old (by build date) and with 108k. Even on the original CV joints, boots aren't ripped or anything. I'm sure if the axles ever come out, it'll need new seals at that point - I just assume that anytime I remove an axle at this point.

Goober Peas posted:

*not giving tax, legal or financial advise*

I have an ex that is a tax lawyer and she said credit card statements that list the business name, date, and location can be used as primary proof, the actual receipts are retained as backup. For the physical receipts, it was a matter of shoving receipts into a shoebox, then once a month putting them in date order and clipping them together.

My pops is a CPA, and deals with this on a daily basis.

I just fired him an email asking what I need to keep in terms of receipts. As of this year, I'm keeping pretty solid records, including miles driven for work (found a little booklet at Walmart that lets you log miles driven per day for work, starting/ending odometer per day, etc), so I figure I'm going to scan anything except fuel receipts (I enter those into Fuelly, and the majority of my fuel purchases are on my Walmart card due to the 5c/gal discount). I buy all of my oil change stuff at WalMart, misc other parts are from Autozone if I need them right now (otherwise it's Rockauto or Amazon, in which case pulling a receipt is just a matter of going into my email). I keep track of beginning and ending miles per shift every day, along with a starting odometer reading for the year.

If I need to actually keep fuel receipts, then I guess I'll start scanning those. I have tons of room between Dropbox (14 gigs), OneDrive (25 gigs), and Box.net (25 gigs), and have them set up to mirror each other.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

the spyder posted:

Liquid Communism posted:

Congrats on the jobs and promotions, good way to start out the new year. My job title hasn't changed in the past 5 years other than going from engineer level 1 to level 3 or 4 but they keep assigning me more things to take care of. Oh well, should be a nice bonus this year.

Last weekend I got a automated call from Comcast saying I was nearing my data limit...I didn't know I had a data limit. I guess my plan includes 300GB of data a month and I was at 285GB used or something. Told the roommates and was turning off the modem from ~9pm to 4pm since I'm not using it during that time. Looks like Sister in Law couldn't live without her movies/shows during the day so was turning it back on, got another call last night that I had hit my cap. WTF would cause my data usage to jump that much? I'm guessing she's downloading poo poo but what other reasons could there be?

Pretty big usage jump over the past few months.

Using the data are a raspberry pi (need to see if something is running?), nest thermostat, media pc that's been off for 3+ months, several phones, my laptop and their computer.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I get to the shop at 7 and my PM says to go add 3 new data drops to a building and that our boss would meet us there to go over the scope and job. We get there and he says he won't be able to make it and the in-house IT guy at this place is out today. So we are talking to the receptionist and she says there are 16 new drops to be added. She doesn't even know where the server room was so I'm walking around now trying to find it. Not to mention my PM told me to load up the truck with CAT5e plenum but the scope calls for CAT6 everywhere smh. TGIF.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NitroSpazzz posted:

Last weekend I got a automated call from Comcast saying I was nearing my data limit...I didn't know I had a data limit. I guess my plan includes 300GB of data a month and I was at 285GB used or something.

I've nailed over 1TB just on my PC alone, in just a few weeks.

300GB would be very hard for us to budget, seeing as there's 5 PCs in the house, 4 TVs with either Rokus or similar attached (basically nonstop Netflix and Amazon Prime), and one PC that may or may not be dedicated to :filez:. Plus my PC serves up my media collection to my phone, laptop, tablet, etc whenever I'm bored and not at home.

And as much as I pay for our internet, I would turn into about 20 poo poo flinging monkeys parked in front of the telco CO if my ISP told me I'd broken some unspoken data limit.

edit: E/N, stepdad has flipped his poo poo again - he's shouting at my mother for "turning Sean <me> against him". :confused: I think it's because I changed my Amazon password overnight, he ordered a bunch of poo poo on my account, didn't bother changing the payment method, and overdrafted my checking account by over $300 (before fees, and my credit union doesn't waive overdraft fees, period), and it'll be well over $1000 after fees since I have stuff like a car payment, credit card payments, insurance payments, etc all scheduled to hit today (my direct deposit paycheck is $330). Trying to get ahold of my old roommate to see if I can crash with him for the next week. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 30, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

some texas redneck posted:

I've nailed over 1TB just on my PC alone, in just a few weeks.
I looked into it a bit more, looks like HD stream is around 3gb/hr and SD is 1gb/hr from Netflix/Amazon/Hulu. Isn't out of the quesiton at all that she watched more than 3 hours of streaming each day lounging around the house "looking for a job". Guess I'll just lock down the router a bit and be done with it.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

And as much as I pay for our internet, I would turn into about 20 poo poo flinging monkeys parked in front of the telco CO if my ISP told me I'd broken some unspoken data limit.

Don't worry, data caps are coming.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

edit: E/N, stepdad has flipped his poo poo again - he's shouting at my mother for "turning Sean <me> against him". :confused: I think it's because I changed my Amazon password overnight, he ordered a bunch of poo poo on my account, didn't bother changing the payment method, and overdrafted my checking account by over $300 (before fees, and my credit union doesn't waive overdraft fees, period), and it'll be well over $1000 after fees since I have stuff like a car payment, credit card payments, insurance payments, etc all scheduled to hit today (my direct deposit paycheck is $330). Trying to get ahold of my old roommate to see if I can crash with him for the next week. :sigh:

what in the gently caress?!

I would live in my car before I would put up with that poo poo. drat, dude, that sucks.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

kastein posted:

what in the gently caress?!

I would live in my car before I would put up with that poo poo. drat, dude, that sucks.

Agreed. That's just a lovely situation. Get your poo poo in order ASAP and GTFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

LloydDobler posted:

I'm trying to stop spending on cars and pay off consumer debt. Good god it's boring.

Sigh. I hate trying to be a grown-up.

I hear you. I decided no more car poo poo till the credit cards are paid off. I kinda figure I'm always going to be in some form of debt and as long as its just mortgage, student, and a small car loan I'm fine with it. I figure you can't take money or possessions to the grave but I want to have some form of fun in life.

Life is to god drat short to be a miser and not enjoy life. Especially seeing all the goons getting cancer and my industry has a higher rate of cancer and early death, I might as well enjoy it.

• Locked thread