Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

They'll never stop making those shows. They're pretty much perfect reality TV. Cheap as hell to make since they pay the "actors" almost nothing and soak up subsidies from governments, and trade, travel and real-estate associations. Each episode is a tiny, self-contained story in which the audience gets to laugh at/hate/judge/envy/sympathize with total strangers and their expensive/unique/exotic property purchases. A property bubble collapse just means they need to change shooting locations for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Saltin posted:

For me, the best part about the correction will be the end of these loving dipshit shows.

It'll just swing to Reno shows.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My wife should start a home reno show called "And Now You're Stuck With It." A show where she goes and redoes all the lovely "it only needs to last 6 months" Reno's that home flippers bodge together while practically living out of suitcases in their 'primary residence'.

She's got a good 'I don't care if your life is ruined this is what needs to loving happen' attitude and the ability to ignore crying, even in public/on camera.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
On this episode of "And Now You're Stuck With It" we jack up a house and replace a foundation that was further damaged by house flippers that ignored it in favor of installing a water sprinkler system themselves and opening up a sinkhole under their footings!

Before that, let's tell the home owners that the job will cost at least 40 thousand dollars and they're both going to have to delay retirement a decade.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
if a $40,000 bill will delay your retirement by a decade, you're going to have one lovely broke-rear end retirement

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

James Cheng just got his poo poo pushed in by some nimbys. A loss for this gently caress face is a victory for all.

Where were these guys when the equally disgusting Telus Garden was being proposed?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/2015/01/planned-changes-assets-eligible-collateral/

In other words, the BoC is going to let commercial banks borrow money from the BoC using residential mortgages as collateral. tl;dr you, dear taxpayer, are now more on the hook for someone else's mortgage

Canadians banks much more responsible than poorly run US banks.

Now excuse me while I go loan out some more money backed by already existing debts.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

Jesus, gently caress. That's exactly what McCain said just before the American economy took a nosedive in 2008.
It's also exactly what Harper said just before Canada went into recession in 2008.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

THC posted:

Where were these guys when the equally disgusting Telus Garden was being proposed?

Either lining up for the pre sale or strung out on bad junk in the vag occupy camp

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Cenovus cut another $700m off their capital expenditures budget.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

:getin:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rime posted:

thousands of layoffs and billions of dollars in capex cut will not affect a vibrant diverse economy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

LemonDrizzle posted:

if a $40,000 bill will delay your retirement by a decade, you're going to have one lovely broke-rear end retirement

No poo poo.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

My wife should start a home reno show called "And Now You're Stuck With It." A show where she goes and redoes all the lovely "it only needs to last 6 months" Reno's that home flippers bodge together while practically living out of suitcases in their 'primary residence'.

She's got a good 'I don't care if your life is ruined this is what needs to loving happen' attitude and the ability to ignore crying, even in public/on camera.

Funny and sad you mention this. The house down the road from my parents was bought last week and it being totally gutted in what I can only assume is some knobs flipping venture.

Its a 37 year old bungalow in north loving Barrie.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Companies like Syncrude also announced that they will cut dividend payments this year.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Saltin posted:

For me, the best part about the correction will be the end of these loving dipshit shows.

In 2007, in America, HGTV had both "Flip This House" and "Flip That House," as distinct TV shows.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Furnaceface posted:

I still have no idea where this idea of needing ridiculous amounts of space for kids comes from. I grew up just fine in a 3 bedroom bungalow that at one point had 7 people living in it. You find space, privacy is still a closed door away, and frankly it helped teach me how to not be a hoarder or big spender because there just wasnt room for a bunch of crap I would use once or never at all. Just make sure the kids have the tools and they will make due with the space provided. I turned out just fine. :colbert:

Yeah, this needing space for spouses to spit in separate sinks just doesn't due.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
What person doesn't want to mix their spit with their partner's?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Rime posted:

i really hope this means i wont have to sit through their lovely attempts at brainwashing before i see a movie now

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RBC posted:

i really hope this means i wont have to sit through their lovely attempts at brainwashing before i see a movie now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0vYTFve7tA

Since poo poo like the oil sands is something that should be listed as a nation's accomplishments

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I loving hate that commercial so much

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I loving hate that commercial so much

Turning pristine wilderness into Mordor is a great accomplishment compared to landing on the moon or a transcontinental railroad.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

Turning pristine wilderness into Mordor is a great accomplishment compared to landing on the moon or a transcontinental railroad.

It pisses me off doubly that those motherfuckers aren't taxed harder

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It pisses me off doubly that those motherfuckers aren't taxed harder

I like how the ad shows pristine forests, even though the whole oil sands process ends up turning the landscape into Mordor.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

etalian posted:

nevermind groundbreaking environmental or medical research, we've got this poo poo just lying around in the mud!!!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Last time I watched the show (these episodes in particular), I was suffering from a cold so perhaps you're valid on the fakery part. Nonetheless, my point stands that these shows are awful.

No it absolutely is. I met the couple from one of the episodes in the city I live and a) you have to have closed on the house you want before the show airs b) they pick houses for you so in her case the other two homes were in neighborhoods they had never considered and c) they changed her husbands job because ??? The only reason to watch these shows is to get a rough idea of what homes look like in different parts of the world and kind of sort of what they might cost, maybe.

Edit: Also that people from Ohio are goddamn awful.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Barudak posted:

that's racist

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cibc-confirms-job-cuts-1.2937263

quote:

CIBC has decided to "selectively reduce a number of positions," the bank confirmed in an email to CBC News Thursday evening.

Spokesman Kevin Dove did not specify which jobs would be cut or how many, but an article published Thursday on the Wall Street Journal website said "more than 500 jobs" would be cut, citing anonymous sources.

Good. Burn all bankers.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Barudak posted:

The only reason to watch these shows is to get a rough idea of what homes look like in different parts of the world and kind of sort of what they might cost, maybe.

These are the two reason (in rough priority order too) for why I occasionally watch House Hunters and its international version.

Oh hey, Kathmandu homes are sort of neat.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

JawKnee posted:

nevermind groundbreaking environmental or medical research, we've got this poo poo just lying around in the mud!!!

gently caress IT companies, biomed, drug companies, manufacturing, aerospace, we just need a holes and houses economy.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
The Capital Adequacy Ratios are a surprisingly readable document explaining how banks' capital is regulated and what will happen if banks are unable to maintain minimum capital requirements.

One thing that's sort of been tossed around is that capital requirements beyond the minimum capital requirements are based on risk-weighted assets (in many cases, the risk is assessed by the bank).

A couple things that interests me about that are:
  • The 2.5% capital conservation buffer plus the 1% domestically significant bank buffer were judged to enough of a buffer against all extreme loss events in the past 25 years, and
  • Canadian banks were judged to be safer because of their relative reliance, compared to other international banks, on retail banking activities.
Can someone more knowledgeable than me comment on what would happen if these assumptions are incorrect? That is, if retail banking has more risk than expected, or if judging extreme loss events based on the past 25 years is too small a timeframe?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

You know drat well its going to be the tellers, clerks, and cleaners being let go. The bloat at the top is never where cuts start despite that being the biggest source of lost income for almost every business.

I cant remember if CI posted this or not, but my friend sent me the link and I got a good laugh: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/26/house-prices-canada-toronto-alberta_n_6547972.html

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Not my loving problem

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

LemonDrizzle posted:

For house flippers facing this situation, it isn't just repairs they're having to face, it's being upside down on one, sometimes two mortgages on houses that are in need of serious repairs if they're going to hold them long term as well as no retirement planning other than flipping houses for ever.

I bet a lot of people with million dollar mortgages in Vancouver will be staring down an extra 10 years of work if they don't dump their houses before the bottom really drops out.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

EvilJoven posted:

This is basically what Mike Holmes' shows are. Pointing out how terrible almost all contractors are then fixing their poo poo so families aren't completely hosed.

I used to install security systems and couldn't believe the stuff I saw in places like Surrey. Like Indian slum-style electrical wiring knots in brand new single family home construction.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Reverse Centaur posted:

This is basically what Mike Holmes' shows are. Pointing out how terrible almost all contractors are then fixing their poo poo so families aren't completely hosed.

I used to install security systems and couldn't believe the stuff I saw in places like Surrey. Like Indian slum-style electrical wiring knots in brand new single family home construction.

Can you call out some of the poo poo contractors for us as a public service?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
I love the "turning pristine wilderness into mordor" line

Have you fuckers ever driven around Fort Mac and seen your "pristine wilderness?" It's hardly some shining wilderness which is being converted to a smoke and tar filled landscape. Really wish I had taken some pictures of the landscape while I was up there.

e: I'm not saying that they're doing a swell job at environmental reclamation, but saying they're destroying pristine wilderness is a bit :ironicat: based on what I would term favourably as a bog.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Baudin posted:

Have you fuckers ever driven around Fort Mac and seen your "pristine wilderness?" It's hardly some shining wilderness which is being converted to a smoke and tar filled landscape. Really wish I had taken some pictures of the landscape while I was up there.

"pristine wilderness" /= beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Baudin posted:

e: I'm not saying that they're doing a swell job at environmental reclamation, but saying they're destroying pristine wilderness is a bit :ironicat: based on what I would term favourably as a bog.

lmao