Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

New Leaf posted:

Two years is when she would have taken the job at my company, so that's entirely possible. Three years ago she was making peanuts compared to what she's making now, so that may have an effect. Also, my memory is flawed- the house purchase went on last year's taxes, but we purchased the house in 2013.

That said, the only question on TurboTax that I didn't recognize or know how to handle from last year was something regarding "points" as it applies to our mortgage. I had the online 1098 (?) that I was working from but it didn't mention points at all. Our mortgage is through Wells Fargo if that makes a difference. I had no idea what they were talking about, so since it gave me a "none of the above" option I ran with it. I figured if I was supposed to know what points were I would know. Would that make a big difference?

Yeah sounds like your withholdings weren't set up right when she started the new job. If you're withholding too little and she's making more money, it's not surprising at all that you owe.

Points are money you pay upfront as part of closing costs to lock in a lower interest rate for the duration of the mortgage. It is deductible the year you paid it as part of mortgage interest.

If you don't know what they are, chances are you didn't take any when you took out your mortgage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

potatoducks posted:

Nah, nothing like that. I use it all the time for work related purposes, but usually on nights and weekends.

The "few minutes" just refers to what I make sure I do immediately before I leave in the morning and immediately after I get home in the evening in order to bracket my driving.

Ah, that makes it sound much less like a scam. The original post made it sound like you had a spare room in your house and wanted to do the bare minimum to make it count as a home office for tax purposes.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

potatoducks posted:

Yeah I think you're presuming a level of arrogance here that doesn't actually exist. Don't get too excited.

The bottom line is that things are vague. I've asked these questions in a few different places and responses have ranged from "I don't think that flies" to "Yeah that should work."

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to consult a tax professional to see whether I qualify, and if not, what new administrative things I have to do in my home office to make sure that I can 100% get my deduction in the future. I have a feeling that I can see 10 different CPA's and get 10 different responses, but what can you do?

Nah, nothing like that. I use it all the time for work related purposes, but usually on nights and weekends.

The "few minutes" just refers to what I make sure I do immediately before I leave in the morning and immediately after I get home in the evening in order to bracket my driving.

Your situation sounds similar to example 3 in pub 587, so I guess if that's an accurate description of your activities, you should be OK. As long as you aren't using that office for gaming, sex dungeons, reading for enjoyment, that sort of thing when you're not working.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

New Leaf posted:

Two years is when she would have taken the job at my company, so that's entirely possible. Three years ago she was making peanuts compared to what she's making now, so that may have an effect. Also, my memory is flawed- the house purchase went on last year's taxes, but we purchased the house in 2013.

Oh, I thought your income had basically stayed the same for the whole period. If your wife got a significant raise right when it started happening, then that is almost certainly the problem. It is very common for couples making decent/good money, where they are fairly equal in income to eachother. The reason it happens is because the federal tax brackets stop doubling perfectly for married couples after the 15% bracket. They refer to this as the "marriage penalty". I.E.:

code:
10%            $0 to   $9,075           $0 to  $18,150
15%        $9,076 to  $36,900      $18,151 to  $73,800
25%       $36,901 to  $89,350      $73,801 to $148,850
28%       $89,351 to $186,350     $148,851 to $226,850
33%      $186,351 to $405,100     $226,851 to $405,100
35%      $405,101 to $406,750     $405,101 to $457,600
39.6%    $406,751+                $457,601+
Personally, I gave up on the W9 worksheet a long time ago and I just have a fixed amount withheld from my paycheck. But in theory, you should be able to both redo the W9 correctly with your married status/incomes and it should fix it.

Droo fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 30, 2015

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Droo posted:

If I were you, I would dig out your two W2 forms from 2012 (was that the last year you didn't owe?) and compare them to now. If you suddenly owe money AFTER buying a house, then something either changed or something is wrong. I would guess that you or your wife changed withholding exemptions like 3 years ago and just forgot about it, and that would be really obvious by comparing your W2 forms for the last few years.

Another option is to take both 1040 forms and compare them. That would let you see which lines changed, rather than just comparing the last line on each form that lists what is due.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Droo posted:

Oh, I thought your income had basically stayed the same for the whole period. If your wife got a significant raise right when it started happening, then that is almost certainly the problem. It is very common for couples making decent/good money, where they are fairly equal in income to eachother. The reason it happens is because the federal tax brackets stop doubling perfectly for married couples after the 15% bracket. They refer to this as the "marriage penalty". I.E.:

code:
10%            $0 to   $9,075           $0 to  $18,150
15%        $9,076 to  $36,900      $18,151 to  $73,800
25%       $36,901 to  $89,350      $73,801 to $148,850
28%       $89,351 to $186,350     $148,851 to $226,850
33%      $186,351 to $405,100     $226,851 to $405,100
35%      $405,101 to $406,750     $405,101 to $457,600
39.6%    $406,751+                $457,601+
Personally, I gave up on the W9 worksheet a long time ago and I just have a fixed amount withheld from my paycheck. But in theory, you should be able to both redo the W9 correctly with your married status/incomes and it should fix it.

Yeah I'm going to have to fiddle with something at work so this doesn't happen again. I'm clueless when it comes to this sort of thing, do I just need to talk to HR about updating our forms so we don't get hosed next year? So I just need to have them hold like $40 a check or something?

And really, when I say huge raise, it's huge to use. We aren't rich folks, but for our area, we're doing pretty well. We're in suburban NC, and the average household income for our town is $47k according to Wikipedia, and our household income is over $60k. She went from a $10 an hour, 35 hours/week vet tech job to a $30k receptionist position, so it makes a huge difference to us. Peanuts to some of you I'm sure... But that said, having to shell out $1200 is pretty devastating right now..

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

New Leaf posted:

So I just need to have them hold like $40 a check or something?

$1200 is $50 per check, but yeah, that's the basic idea. Of course, you could just put that $50 in the bank instead of having the government hold on to it. You owe the taxes you owe, the details of when you pay them is less relevant.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

smackfu posted:

$1200 is $50 per check, but yeah, that's the basic idea. Of course, you could just put that $50 in the bank instead of having the government hold on to it.

Too much temptation involved there..

Edit: Okay gently caress the Federal form. I've been claiming "1" for years since nobody can claim me as a dependent. Where the hell does it say you can put 0? I didn't realize you could just 0 out the whole thing and be done with it.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 30, 2015

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

At about 60k total income, something seems odd. How much did you have withheld total for 2014?

Even with no deductions at all (401k, HSA, etc) your federal income tax owed on $60,000 should only be $5,047.50. It seems weird that they could have underwithheld $1200 on that.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My return didn't change much since last year, but Turbotax is giving me $1000 less in sales tax deduction. Did those rules change or something?

Edit: Grah, never mind, it's because I bought a car last year.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 30, 2015

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

potatoducks posted:

Yeah I think you're presuming a level of arrogance here that doesn't actually exist. Don't get too excited.

The bottom line is that things are vague. I've asked these questions in a few different places and responses have ranged from "I don't think that flies" to "Yeah that should work."

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going to consult a tax professional to see whether I qualify, and if not, what new administrative things I have to do in my home office to make sure that I can 100% get my deduction in the future. I have a feeling that I can see 10 different CPA's and get 10 different responses, but what can you do?

Bottom line - if you're in AMT all of those costs are disallowed anyways, so you might be doing a whole lot of work for nothing.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I started a new job where I commute via public transit. My employer isn't able to provide me with a pretax transit pass because of "reasons". If I save ticket stubs and receipts is that something I can deduct? Are parking costs for parking at the transit stops deductible?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Massasoit posted:

I started a new job where I commute via public transit. My employer isn't able to provide me with a pretax transit pass because of "reasons". If I save ticket stubs and receipts is that something I can deduct? Are parking costs for parking at the transit stops deductible?

No. Your lazy employer needs to get off their rear end and offer the plan.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Droo posted:

At about 60k total income, something seems odd. How much did you have withheld total for 2014?

Even with no deductions at all (401k, HSA, etc) your federal income tax owed on $60,000 should only be $5,047.50. It seems weird that they could have underwithheld $1200 on that.

Assuming you are asking for "Federal income tax withheld" box on both our W-2's added together, $4070.95

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I switched jobs midway through this year and I haven't gotten my old employer's W2 yet even though they mailed them out a week ago. I've tried calling their payroll office multiple times and I always get their voicemail and no one returns my messages. I'd go in person but I've since moved states. I'm starting to worry my W2 didn't get forwarded from my old address and now some random person has my important documents.

Where do I go from here besides calling payroll every day till they answer their drat phone?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Bisty Q. posted:

No. Your lazy employer needs to get off their rear end and offer the plan.

They said the cost of implementing this for one employee was too much to do. Meanwhile I'm out $3600/year for transit. I work in a different location than the rest of the company and am the only one from a staff of 70 that uses public transit.

I asked if they could just deduct the amount and give it to me on a debt card or something but they said it would be to expensive to set up and they couldn't just do it for be because it would "look suspicious".

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
So, if the deadline for an employer to get W-2s in the mail is January 31st and they don't do it they are subject to penalties. How does the IRS know that an employer is late? Does an employee have to snitch? And if that employee was the only one to ask a few times at the end of January when the W-2s might be coming, it'll be pretty obvious who did it? My boss asked me today (January 30th) if I'd mind swinging by Office Depot on my lunch break for her to pick up some W-2 forms. Technically they are not late yet, but I mean.... I'm not real confident it will be done in time, legally.

This happens every drat year, my bosses are the most last-minute people in the world. Every year for their own taxes they file an extension and then wait until the night of October 14th to start theirs. I don't particularly care about their tax stress, but I do get jealous of my friends posting about their tax returns on Facebook and I haven't gotten step 1 yet. I just wish they'd have something bite them in the butt just once, so that on January first they start thinking about things, instead of looking up on January 30th, April 14th, October 14th, etc and going "Oh, heavens! I've just been so busy! Oh me, oh my!"

Sorry kind of E/N, just irritated today.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just so you don't think I'm crazy - I pulled up the W4 form for 2015:

The worksheet at the top says that if you're single, can't be claimed as a dependent by someone else, have one job, and take the Standard Deduction - 2 allowances is indeed the correct number to claim on your W4

EDIT:

Here's a great withholding calculator that allows you to specify both state and federal allowances to see what your paycheck would be if you changed them:

http://www.paycheckcity.com/cointuitonlinepayroll/netpaycalculator.asp

And a good article about maximizing your takehome pay by adjusting your allowances:

http://theflounce.com/tax-withholding-get-paycheck/

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 31, 2015

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

devilmonk posted:

My wife got a fellowship for phd research, half of which was a paid to her last year and the other half this year. It is my understanding that the fellowship money is taxable if it was spent for things such as room/board or travel, and the the only non-taxable bits are what was spent on tuition or books, etc.
The problem is that I didn't know this until yesterday. We haven't kept track of exactly where that money went, i.e. whether we paid for this or that book from "fellowship money" or "my job money" or whatever. I want to pay what I should, but I guess the question is whether or not the fellowship granting body (a major university in this case) reports the fellowship to the government (federal/state) and if/how I should go about reporting it as income.

edit: For what it's worth, the fellowship granter didn't send any sort of W-2 type form

Any advice on this?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

New Leaf posted:

Assuming you are asking for "Federal income tax withheld" box on both our W-2's added together, $4070.95

I think you're running into the problem of having tax withheld at the lower Married rate, while both you and your wife make similar amounts of money. It was discussed previously how the Married rate is based on the 1950s paradigm of a married couple where there was only one breadwinner for the family. Thus, if both you and your wife are withholding at the Married rate, they're withholding on the assumption that you each get the full $12k MFJ standard deduction ($24k assumed deduction between the 2 of you from your W-4s), when in fact you're sharing it. So there's about $12k of income not having taxes withheld on, which is why you owe money. You can always change it on your W-4 form to withhold at the Single rate even though you are married.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

drat Bananas posted:

So, if the deadline for an employer to get W-2s in the mail is January 31st and they don't do it they are subject to penalties. How does the IRS know that an employer is late? Does an employee have to snitch? And if that employee was the only one to ask a few times at the end of January when the W-2s might be coming, it'll be pretty obvious who did it? My boss asked me today (January 30th) if I'd mind swinging by Office Depot on my lunch break for her to pick up some W-2 forms. Technically they are not late yet, but I mean.... I'm not real confident it will be done in time, legally.

This happens every drat year, my bosses are the most last-minute people in the world. Every year for their own taxes they file an extension and then wait until the night of October 14th to start theirs. I don't particularly care about their tax stress, but I do get jealous of my friends posting about their tax returns on Facebook and I haven't gotten step 1 yet. I just wish they'd have something bite them in the butt just once, so that on January first they start thinking about things, instead of looking up on January 30th, April 14th, October 14th, etc and going "Oh, heavens! I've just been so busy! Oh me, oh my!"

Sorry kind of E/N, just irritated today.

Just FYI since the 31st is a Saturday the deadline is technically Monday the 2nd :v:

devilmonk posted:

Any advice on this?

Money is fungible, it is literally almost impossible in most cases to say where a specific dollar spent came from. Assume all of the fellowship is taxable to start with and subtract out the qualifying expenditures, from whatever source. The net result at the end is the taxable amount.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I switched jobs midway through this year and I haven't gotten my old employer's W2 yet even though they mailed them out a week ago. I've tried calling their payroll office multiple times and I always get their voicemail and no one returns my messages. I'd go in person but I've since moved states. I'm starting to worry my W2 didn't get forwarded from my old address and now some random person has my important documents.

Where do I go from here besides calling payroll every day till they answer their drat phone?

Most W-2 envelopes have "address service requested" printed on them, meaning they don't usually get forwarded and instead get returned to the sender. Not much to do other than continue to try and get ahold of them, unfortunately.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

furushotakeru posted:

Most W-2 envelopes have "address service requested" printed on them, meaning they don't usually get forwarded and instead get returned to the sender. Not much to do other than continue to try and get ahold of them, unfortunately.

I guess I'll keep calling them. This is super annoying. I have everything I need to do my taxes except this one W2.

Is there any law preventing me from having someone who still works there walk down to payroll and be like "hey send this W2 to this address" on my behalf? Because that's looking like my next step.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I guess I'll keep calling them. This is super annoying. I have everything I need to do my taxes except this one W2.

Is there any law preventing me from having someone who still works there walk down to payroll and be like "hey send this W2 to this address" on my behalf? Because that's looking like my next step.
A law from asking someone to do something? Really? Just do it... #Murika!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

I'm assuming there are some privacy laws preventing people from changing the address on important tax documents that aren't theirs, but you never know.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm assuming there are some privacy laws preventing people from changing the address on important tax documents that aren't theirs, but you never know.

Not a law against someone walking over to payroll and handing them a phone so you can talk to them, though.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

Here in Oregon, it's employment law that the employer needs to provide a paystub showing total year-to-date info....such as gross pay and withholdings. We tend to also focus on the employees being handed this information and them just tossing it out.

Save your paystubs, people.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

AbbiTheDog posted:

Here in Oregon, it's employment law that the employer needs to provide a paystub showing total year-to-date info....such as gross pay and withholdings. We tend to also focus on the employees being handed this information and them just tossing it out.

Save your paystubs, people.

I do have a whole file of old paystubs but I think they converted to online only before the end of the year last year and I can't access it since my employee account was nuked when I stopped being an employee. I can take a look though.

furushotakeru posted:

Not a law against someone walking over to payroll and handing them a phone so you can talk to them, though.

True. I might do that this week if they continue to not answer their phone or return messages.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

potatoducks posted:

I'm inclined to agree with the other fellow. Doctors can be a bit....difficult.....to deal with, especially in fields where they think their medical smarts translates to they know everything about every topic they lay their hands on.

We refer to M.D. as "Me, Doctor."

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

AbbiTheDog posted:

Bottom line - if you're in AMT all of those costs are disallowed anyways, so you might be doing a whole lot of work for nothing.

I'm inclined to agree with the other fellow. Doctors can be a bit....difficult.....to deal with, especially in fields where they think their medical smarts translates to they know everything about every topic they lay their hands on.

We refer to M.D. as "Me, Doctor."

I'm just going to combine the above since they quote the same post.

I didn't hit AMT last year, but yeah that's definitely something to take into consideration.

I agree, physicians as a whole are useless blowhards paid good money to participate in the circlejerk that is modern medicine. They often make poor financial decisions too. I'm just here for some tax facts though, and it seems like the general consensus is to pay for some professional guidance. Definitely not too arrogant to do that.

On a different note, if I have both a 1099 and a W2, can I not bother with estimated tax payments if I just withhold more on my W4?

Also, as en employee, can you in effect give yourself an interest-free loan by not withholding any taxes in the beginning of the year and sending your entire paycheck to the government at the end of the year?

Similarly, if you're self-employed, do your estimated taxes have to be in equal installments? Or can you just pay everything in the fourth quarter without incurring any penalties?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yes, you can just withhold more on your W4. No to the others- you will owe a penalty unless you pay tax on the money as it is earned, either with each paycheck or by the quarterly estimated tax deadlines.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc306.html

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 31, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
What proof does a business have to provide to the IRS regarding sending of W2's? One of my gf's old employers is requiring she picks it up in person like the rest of the employees do...

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Okay, so I'm going through pub 560 to try and figure out what my husband and I can contribute to our solo 401ks. We got married last year so this is my first time doing it with two people. We run a publishing company together, and the only differences between the two of us is: I paid $9,219 in tax already for last year's estimated SE taxes, and I already contributed my $17,500 max to my trad IRA through my traditional job.

So far, so good. I'm trying to figure out how to max our contributions. From what I figured, he can contribute $17,500 and we can both contribute 20% of net profits as the "employer". But it doesn't seem to come out that way and I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Our estimated net profit right now is 146710 after other deductions.
20% of profits should be .2*(146,710) = 29,342

If I put all of the profit over on his column, it works out fine. He gets an additional 29,342 possible contribution. But if I split it up half and half (or any other way, really, that has numbers over on my side), we end up with a contribution limit of 27,498 total between us. Is that due to the SE tax payments I already made? Should I just use the smaller number as the contribution limit then?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I know for SEP IRA's you had to deduct 1/2 of self employment tax from the earnings first, and then take the percentage. It gets a little wonky since your income is over the self employed max, but the difference looks about right to me. I.E.:

$146,710 - ($117,000 * 6.2%) - ($146,710 * 1.45%) = $146,710 - $7,254 - $2,127 = $137,329

$137,329 * 20% = $27,466

It's not the exact same number you are coming up with, but only $32 off of what you said.

toben
Aug 23, 2007
Last year I moved a rent house in my personal name into an LLC I own with my wife.

Do I just copy over the existing depreciation to my LLC and remove everything from my personal taxes or is there anything else?

Do I need to show a sale from myself to my LLC?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

toben posted:

Last year I moved a rent house in my personal name into an LLC I own with my wife.

Do I just copy over the existing depreciation to my LLC and remove everything from my personal taxes or is there anything else?

Do I need to show a sale from myself to my LLC?

Which state do you live in?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Hi all, ACA related question here. My apologies if it's been covered already.

My wife and I were legally wed in November 2014. We have been living together since 2007. I am MFS (using H&R Block's site) since she has no income. If I'm reading this right I cannot claim her as a dependent but I still owe a penalty for her not having health care last year? I'm not trying to weasel out of anything but I'm hesitant to enter the return as I have it because I feel like I'm missing something. I added her to my employer's coverage shortly after we were wed (3-4 weeks later, during open enrollment). If she is not legally a dependent how am I responsible for her part in ACA? Especially before we were married? That's like having to pay a penalty because one of your roommates is uninsured as far as I can tell.

Can I still file single or is that illegal?

toben
Aug 23, 2007

AbbiTheDog posted:

Which state do you live in?

I live in OK.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Panty Saluter posted:

Hi all, ACA related question here. My apologies if it's been covered already.

My wife and I were legally wed in November 2014. We have been living together since 2007. I am MFS (using H&R Block's site) since she has no income. If I'm reading this right I cannot claim her as a dependent but I still owe a penalty for her not having health care last year? I'm not trying to weasel out of anything but I'm hesitant to enter the return as I have it because I feel like I'm missing something. I added her to my employer's coverage shortly after we were wed (3-4 weeks later, during open enrollment). If she is not legally a dependent how am I responsible for her part in ACA? Especially before we were married? That's like having to pay a penalty because one of your roommates is uninsured as far as I can tell.

Can I still file single or is that illegal?

Not addressing anything else, but yes, it's illegal to file as single if you're married as of 12/31 on the tax year.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, by the nature of being a bartender, my tax return has pretty much disappeared. 2 years ago, I only got back $50. Last year, I had to pay $500. I roughly did my taxes real fast on TaxACT and it says I owe $1,500. That seems crazy high to me. I claimed $30k for my income this past year. I think last year I claimed around $18k (we had to claim what we actually made this past year at my work instead of undercutting it). There was only a couple of pay checks I got that had any money on it (about $5-$6). Almost all of my paychecks are Zero.

I'm not a dependent and I don't have any dependents. I signed up for Obamacare before the deadline in December. I'm not a student....does this sound right?

There's no way I can pay $1,500 within a couple of months :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, that sucks. You were in the 15% bracket both years, meaning your total tax bill should be about $1800 higher this year compared to last year (15% of the difference of $12000). Did your work withhold any tax?

IRS will let you pay it off monthly instead of all at once, http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Payment-Plans-Installment-Agreements. It costs a little more.