Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Veskit posted:

I've used up my free ones months ago so I'll have to request all 3 credit agencies and pay to have the report i guess then file the disputes online. Still cheaper than 3 certified mailings though and probably better.

Go to each credit reporting agencies website and find the "file dispute" link. You don't have to pay for your report to file a dispute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

ladyweapon posted:

Go to each credit reporting agencies website and find the "file dispute" link. You don't have to pay for your report to file a dispute.

I paid a dollar to get all 3 reports just to see what each agency is reporting to begin with. One already had the debt entirely cleared so that's pretty awesome. It's really neat to see your Credit score rise 100 points in a week with one agency.

Also is closed different than removed?

Holy poo poo experian hates money and won't let me get a credit report from them :shrug:

Veskit fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 11, 2015

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Yes, closed is different from removed. Closed just means the account isn't open. I have lots of closed accounts in good standing on mine. If it had been removed you wouldn't see it at all. :)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

spinst posted:

Yes, closed is different from removed. Closed just means the account isn't open. I have lots of closed accounts in good standing on mine. If it had been removed you wouldn't see it at all. :)

I figured because it's removed from equifax but still there with trans and experian. They'll get there soon enough.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Fun stuff. At this point my father in law, mother in law, and workplace are all receiving calls from debt collectors post cease-and-desist.

Anyone have a good student debt lawyer? The one I've been dealing with is moving extremely slowly (e.g. I keep feeding them updates and they don't even respond)

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

revmoo posted:

Fun stuff. At this point my father in law, mother in law, and workplace are all receiving calls from debt collectors post cease-and-desist.

Anyone have a good student debt lawyer? The one I've been dealing with is moving extremely slowly (e.g. I keep feeding them updates and they don't even respond)
Sounds like you're on your way to making money off of a student loan! FDCPA violations are very much winnable.

I don't have a recommendation for a lawyer, Ramsey has a referral form on his site to a lawfirm to go after people who do FDCPA violations, for free (likely a % of fines assessed?), that may be worth a shot. https://www.daveramsey.com/recommends/fair-debt/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Has anyone had success using a goodwill letter to Sallie Mae to get rid of late payment notifications on their credit report? I've had my loans settled for 2 years now and I'd love it if those negative marks were removed

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Thank you everyone! Only 2 left to deal with. I'm so loving relieved now! I also think I have the whole process down so I'm happy this is all coming to a close. Now my worst case scenario is having to pay in full the 650 bucks, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.
I got a letter/bill from a collection agency for something I defaulted on in 2002. Obviously it's way past the time they're allowed to collect but I'm unsure of how to handle it. The original creditor was Kay Jewelers. Can I call them to ask for proof of how old the debt is and send it to this collection agency? Will they go away after that? And why are people still selling this 5-6 years too old to collect on debt?

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

apathetic JAP posted:

I got a letter/bill from a collection agency for something I defaulted on in 2002. Obviously it's way past the time they're allowed to collect but I'm unsure of how to handle it. The original creditor was Kay Jewelers. Can I call them to ask for proof of how old the debt is and send it to this collection agency? Will they go away after that? And why are people still selling this 5-6 years too old to collect on debt?

Just ignore it. Don't respond at all.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Scenty posted:

Just ignore it. Don't respond at all.

Will it show up anew on my credit? And if so, do I just dispute it through the bureau(s)?

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

apathetic JAP posted:

Will it show up anew on my credit? And if so, do I just dispute it through the bureau(s)?

Nah it won't show up again unless they try and change the date of the original debt, which is very illegal. Junk debt buyers will purchase really old debts and send out those letters, hoping to scare people into biting. I get them all the time and just put them in the shredder. Legally there is absolutely nothing they can do.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Scenty posted:

Nah it won't show up again unless they try and change the date of the original debt, which is very illegal. Junk debt buyers will purchase really old debts and send out those letters, hoping to scare people into biting. I get them all the time and just put them in the shredder. Legally there is absolutely nothing they can do.

That's a relief. Thanks!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I've got a few questions.

First: if you've sent off a debt confirmation letter and the response from the collector doesn't answer all of the verification questions, what then? For example, they answer what the debt is for and why they say that you owe it but don't give proof that they're the owner of the debt

Second: if you've been contacted by collectors and know that the debt is yours but they haven't reported it to the credit bureaus and it is not showing up on your credit report, what's the best way to negotiate with the collector to pay but keep it off of your credit report?

Third: if you've never been contacted by collectors and nothing is showing up on your credit report but you know that you owe for a debt, how can you find the debt?

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 19, 2015

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

So I came home today to find 5 letters in my mailbox, two of them being new and better CC offers (not touching them)

HOWEVER, 3 of the letters were 2 letters from Transunion saying that they have removed all the debts because they were unable to verify the debt, and the last letter was one from NCO Alliance one with a bill for the total amount that had just been removed with words about garnishing wages and all that jazz. So i'm fairly certain this is illegal, but uhhhh, now what? loving no idea what steps to take. I have a feeling this is going to involve a lawsuit at this point but hell if I know anything about suing things... or people.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

The Mandingo posted:

Third: if you've never been contacted by collectors and nothing is showing up on your credit report but you know that you owe for a debt, how can you find the debt?
Contact the party to whom you owe money. That would be the first step. If it was a medical bill related to a hospital trip, contact the hospital for a billing statement and listing of all 3rd party providers who worked on you.

Hugbot
Mar 10, 2006

The Mandingo posted:

I've got a few questions.

First: if you've sent off a debt confirmation letter and the response from the collector doesn't answer all of the verification questions, what then? For example, they answer what the debt is for and why they say that you owe it but don't give proof that they're the owner of the debt

Second: if you've been contacted by collectors and know that the debt is yours but they haven't reported it to the credit bureaus and it is not showing up on your credit report, what's the best way to negotiate with the collector to pay but keep it off of your credit report?

1: send them a certified letter within 30 days saying you dispute the debt. Use section 809 of the FDCPA as a guide.

2: someone already said this, but contacting the agency might be your best bet.

3: I don't know why you'd open this can of worms, but you could try contacting the original creditor. If it's not reporting and nobody's trying to collect it, you're probably best off waiting it out past statute.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Hugbot posted:

1: send them a certified letter within 30 days saying you dispute the debt. Use section 809 of the FDCPA as a guide.

Thanks to both of you for your response. To clarify #1 a little bit more, it's a typical medical bill that fell through the cracks. I had an outpatient surgery and paid off the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and the hospital (mostly). About a year later I got a voicemail from the debt collector, so I called back and got their address and asked what the debt amount was and where it was from. I did not admit to owing the money, I simply said I would be in contact with them through the mail. I sent a debt validation to them via certified mail with delivery receipt, a typical DV form letter that demanded: what the money was for, how they calculated the amount own, copies of my agreement to pay, who the original creditor was, proof that the SOL hasn't passed, proof that they're licensed to collect the debt, and their license numbers.

They responded by sending me the agreement I signed with the hospital and an itemized invoice showing what I still owed the hospital, but no proof that the SOL hasn't passed (it hasn't), no proof that they're licensed to collect, or their license number. They did say "Any additional information can be obtained by contacting the hospital at XXX-XXX-XXXX (or) Hospital's address here."

I know that I owe the money, and I'm pretty sure that they're legitimately the collector for it, but they didn't provide me with everything I asked for in the DV. That's why my question was "what then?", because I'm not sure what my next step is. Should I just offer to pay in full if they agree to not report it to the CRAs?

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 20, 2015

Hugbot
Mar 10, 2006

The Mandingo posted:

They responded by sending me the agreement I signed with the hospital and an itemized invoice showing what I still owed the hospital, but no proof that the SOL hasn't passed (it hasn't), no proof that they're licensed to collect, or their license number. They did say "Any additional information can be obtained by contacting the hospital at XXX-XXX-XXXX (or) Hospital's address here."

I know that I owe the money, and I'm pretty sure that they're legitimately the collector for it, but they didn't provide me with everything I asked for in the DV. That's why my question was "what then?", because I'm not sure what my next step is. Should I just offer to pay in full if they agree to not report it to the CRAs?

Here is some NOT ATTORNEY inside baseball advice that is definitely not legal advice and you should not take it as such:

Really, them having the agreement and invoice is going to be the clincher. You can send them a dispute letter but things like SOL and their license information are readily obtainable. The big gambit many people (successfully) utilize with disputes is that the agency doesn't actually have any original documents, and may not be able to get them if the debt is old or the chain of title is more than a couple companies long. And since so much debt is bought and sued close to statute, a dispute letter can run out the clock in many cases. For yours, it will literally take the agency about five minutes of work to generate a tailored letter with the remaining information.

IMO it won't accomplish anything substantial for you to keep pushing the dispute unless there is a legitimate grievance with the bill or you're trying to bait an FDCPA/HIPPA violation or something. The agreement and invoice are almost certainly enough to sink you if you end up getting sued. Don't get sued.

You can ask about PFD but as stated earlier in the thread, agencies are not supposed to do them. Many agencies don't even report to begin with, though. If you want to make an inquiry you should just ask them first if they report to CRAs. If the answer is yes, then ask about PFD. Never admit to actually owing the money. Then lowball the poo poo out of them if you want to pay the bill.

I don't do medical debt at work, so beyond "start way low" I can't really speculate on a percentage estimate for negotiation. The debt is worth more the closer to the OC it is, but on the other hand hospitals brutally overcharge for everything, so who knows what your bill is actually worth to the hospital.

How much is the outstanding balance, anyway?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Hugbot posted:

Here is some NOT ATTORNEY inside baseball advice that is definitely not legal advice and you should not take it as such:

Really, them having the agreement and invoice is going to be the clincher. You can send them a dispute letter but things like SOL and their license information are readily obtainable. The big gambit many people (successfully) utilize with disputes is that the agency doesn't actually have any original documents, and may not be able to get them if the debt is old or the chain of title is more than a couple companies long. And since so much debt is bought and sued close to statute, a dispute letter can run out the clock in many cases. For yours, it will literally take the agency about five minutes of work to generate a tailored letter with the remaining information.

IMO it won't accomplish anything substantial for you to keep pushing the dispute unless there is a legitimate grievance with the bill or you're trying to bait an FDCPA/HIPPA violation or something. The agreement and invoice are almost certainly enough to sink you if you end up getting sued. Don't get sued.

You can ask about PFD but as stated earlier in the thread, agencies are not supposed to do them. Many agencies don't even report to begin with, though. If you want to make an inquiry you should just ask them first if they report to CRAs. If the answer is yes, then ask about PFD. Never admit to actually owing the money. Then lowball the poo poo out of them if you want to pay the bill.

I don't do medical debt at work, so beyond "start way low" I can't really speculate on a percentage estimate for negotiation. The debt is worth more the closer to the OC it is, but on the other hand hospitals brutally overcharge for everything, so who knows what your bill is actually worth to the hospital.

How much is the outstanding balance, anyway?

Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful. I've been trying to contact the hospital to find out of this collector is handling assigned debt or purchased it from them. I don't know if that will make a difference, but I'll update here when I find out. This particular example was just one of the medical bills I have, but it is only around $300.

My wife has another medical bill for about the same amount, but it is near the end of the SOL (I live in Texas, 4 year SOL), which will be March this year. If it goes pas the SOL I know she/we can no longer be sued for the amount, but is there anything I can do to get it off of her credit report? PFD for this one? Dispute with the CRAs after it's past the SOL?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I got a debt collection notice sent to my brother for a t-mobile account I had closed. T-mobile for some reason is unable to prorate charges and so expected me to call them back and pay them additional money a month after I had closed my account and paid my current balance in full. Of course, they didn't tell me this when I was cancelling with them. Further, the only reason I have to believe this is a theory from the debt collector I got on the phone. I no longer live in the US and my brother doesn't check his mail regularly like he should, so I got a debt collector trying to collect $35 from me and was not aware until well after a month had passed. Not much, but I refuse to pay a debt I'm not sure I even owe. I called and asked the debt collectors for some documentation of the debt (what it came from, why I owed $35 for an account I closed and paid in full, etc.) and they told me they could produce no such evidence. What is my next step here? Do I send them a letter telling them to give me evidence of the debt or buzz off? Can I even do that at this point? I gave them my new address in France, so it's not like I've just gone and disappeared on them, and I told them on the phone I'd happily pay the debt once they've produced some evidence I owe it.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 23, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Google debt verification letter. Send one of those. They have to prove your debt is yours.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Condiv posted:

I got a debt collection notice sent to my brother for a t-mobile account I had closed. T-mobile for some reason is unable to prorate charges and so expected me to call them back and pay them additional money a month after I had closed my account and paid my current balance in full. Of course, they didn't tell me this when I was cancelling with them. Further, the only reason I have to believe this is a theory from the debt collector I got on the phone. I no longer live in the US and my brother doesn't check his mail regularly like he should, so I got a debt collector trying to collect $35 from me and was not aware until well after a month had passed. Not much, but I refuse to pay a debt I'm not sure I even owe. I called and asked the debt collectors for some documentation of the debt (what it came from, why I owed $35 for an account I closed and paid in full, etc.) and they told me they could produce no such evidence. What is my next step here? Do I send them a letter telling them to give me evidence of the debt or buzz off? Can I even do that at this point? I gave them my new address in France, so it's not like I've just gone and disappeared on them, and I told them on the phone I'd happily pay the debt once they've produced some evidence I owe it.

I don't have an answer, but speaking of tmobile are they bad for this poo poo? My husband suddenly had a 90 dollar debt originating from t mobile pop up on his credit report. We have a current account [that we are never late on] with tmobile and have had the account for more than 5 years.

Edit: apparently I don't know smilie codes.

Scenty fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 23, 2015

Hugbot
Mar 10, 2006

The Mandingo posted:

Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful. I've been trying to contact the hospital to find out of this collector is handling assigned debt or purchased it from them. I don't know if that will make a difference, but I'll update here when I find out. This particular example was just one of the medical bills I have, but it is only around $300.

My wife has another medical bill for about the same amount, but it is near the end of the SOL (I live in Texas, 4 year SOL), which will be March this year. If it goes pas the SOL I know she/we can no longer be sued for the amount, but is there anything I can do to get it off of her credit report? PFD for this one? Dispute with the CRAs after it's past the SOL?

This hasn't been sued yet, right? You can look at your demand letter and it should name the current creditor as well as the agency that's trying to collect on behalf of the creditor. If it's already in suit, and the hospital is the plaintiff, then the hospital still owns the debt. If some other company is listed as plaintiff, they bought the debt.

My firm's clients don't report so I don't have any idea about the second part. Be extremely wary of making any payment whatsoever on past-SOL debt. If your balances were higher I'd probably recommend you get an attorney to negotiate a tiny lump sum + PFD if possible, but you might not end up saving any money going that route over a couple small bills.

I dunno about disputing it either, it's probably verifiable.

Hugbot
Mar 10, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

Google debt verification letter. Send one of those. They have to prove your debt is yours.

This. Make sure you send it certified or whatever they do over in France and save all the pertinent delivery information. Getting a DVL from no-poo poo France will make some legal assistant's day.

Keep in mind sending this letter would probably cost nearly as much as just paying T-Mo, but I understand the principle of the matter is at stake.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay i'm going to ask in here now, I have a oustanding debt with AT&T and ECA or whatever theyre called for $812. They want to settle for like $550, but it gets expunged from my record in November 2015.

" Status Details: This account is scheduled to continue on record until Nov 2015. "

Would it be more beneficial to my already weak credit score (617) to pay it off or just wait until November and have it written off?

BouncingBuckyBalls
Feb 15, 2011

Abu Dave posted:

Okay i'm going to ask in here now, I have a oustanding debt with AT&T and ECA or whatever theyre called for $812. They want to settle for like $550, but it gets expunged from my record in November 2015.

" Status Details: This account is scheduled to continue on record until Nov 2015. "

Would it be more beneficial to my already weak credit score (617) to pay it off or just wait until November and have it written off?

Are you planning on any large purchases like a car or house where you will need to take out a loan before November? If not you are less than a year away from having the debt removed so don't bother with it.

If you are planning on a big purchase, are they offering on settling for a payment for deleting the debt? If they are not offering to take a payment for deleting the debt and you are not going to take a big loan out by November you do not have to pay it off.

This all depends on whether you need to take out a loan within the next ten months or not. If you are not planning on a big purchase then you can let it slide away without paying.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks man. I was debating on if but I can wait. They did the scummy thing of reporting the debt as starting in 2012 although its from 2007 so I opened a complaint with the CFPB.

The other thing I have on my bad record are some old student loan debts that have all been transferred to another lender that I am paying now, but there's no information as to when they'll disappear :/. And when I was younger I paid a few settlements but didn't know about paid for delete so those are on there until 2016 and 2017...anyways to get those off?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Abu Dave posted:

And when I was younger I paid a few settlements but didn't know about paid for delete so those are on there until 2016 and 2017...anyways to get those off?

Dispute them and hope the people you settle with don't respond in time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Does a defaulted student loan drop off after 7 years of being opened or the first month of non payment? They've since been settled and closed but I'm kind of in the same situation of wondering when they come off my record

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
7 years from the date of last activity.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

revmoo posted:

So if the company keeps opening and then defaulting my loans it is actually resetting the clock?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yes but re-aging accounts is illegal. They can do it for a number of reasons, such as a promise to pay by you, but if they just do it then it's a violation IIRC.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm pretty sure it's 7 years from default regardless of promise to pay or even actual payments.

They CAN remove the default, which changes things, but you can't have a default and then reage.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
How do you prove reaging? I think my only collection account did that. I paid in full in early 2011, and have a letter to confirm, and it shows up as last activity sometime in 2013... I can post a screenshot tonight.

E: Had a couple extra min and pulled my every-4-month report, this time from TransUnion. TransUnion shows it will drop off 3/2015, so I guess I have no complaints. Here's what it showed, note the Date Updated is 4/19/2013. I guess I am good to go?

VVVV To your guys discussion, based on what my pic shows, I think its ~7yrs from when it entered collections, not when it was PIF or last updated.. I know little about that though, hence why I am here!

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 30, 2015

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

revmoo posted:

Yes but re-aging accounts is illegal. They can do it for a number of reasons, such as a promise to pay by you, but if they just do it then it's a violation IIRC.

Hmm this changes how I look at my reports.

LorneReams posted:

I'm pretty sure it's 7 years from default regardless of promise to pay or even actual payments.

They CAN remove the default, which changes things, but you can't have a default and then reage.

I'd love to know if this is true. I've NEVER said "yes I will pay this loan back" to a caller before, but if this is the case I'd love to know for the impending letter from a lawyer I will get on a loan.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

revmoo posted:

I don't think this is correct.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Sub Rosa posted:

I don't think this is correct.

I thought it was 7 years from when the debt first defaulted...

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I sent a dispute in, ECA replied almost instantly, but with something like "We can't find your account, please call us." I'm pretty sure it's a bluff considering they sent me a form in the mail and the dispute agency has the information, so I disputed it again. Am I paranoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Abu Dave posted:

I sent a dispute in, ECA replied almost instantly, but with something like "We can't find your account, please call us." I'm pretty sure it's a bluff considering they sent me a form in the mail and the dispute agency has the information, so I disputed it again. Am I paranoid?

No that's awesome, save the letter and dispute with CRA, you now have solid proof the item is not yours. If they confirm with the CRA, then depending on how they worded it with you it's the easiest violation in the history of violations.