Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You guys know you don't have to drink things you don't like, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Who do I have to blow to get a chance to try some DB Huna ?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Vertigo posted:

Let's Talk Beer 3: ISO: DBH; FT: Deepthroat

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vertigo posted:

Tampa's craigslist is going to be really fun at the end of March.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Spanish Manlove posted:

Tampa's craigslist is going to be really fun at the end of March.

yeah, but will it reach Chicago-level stupid? only time will tell...

(and i'm real sad about your avatar change, man)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, but will it reach Chicago-level stupid? only time will tell...

(and i'm real sad about your avatar change, man)

Huna '15 is pretrading at $50 because "that's what it costs" so... yeah it's gonna get worse.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

a worthy uhh posted:

Huna '15 is pretrading at $50 because "that's what it costs" so... yeah it's gonna get worse.

ugh. i'd do that if they included all the pours the ticket got them, though... i mean, really, that's loving weak. i haven't done a BA trade in ages, but i was looking though ISO:FT the other day and saw a request from a new user for a local shelf turd, so i messaged him and in our negotiations he offered three bottles of BCBS/BCBBW for $30 worth of my beer since he paid $10 per bottle. smh.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

a worthy uhh posted:

Considering what happened last year, I find pre-trades for Huna kinda amazing. Some guy on TB was offering one because he's "guaranteed" one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUIS4-58o4U

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Yeah, Huna is the one beer that I absolutely cannot get enough of. So freaking delicious.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I honestly don't mind black IPAs/CDAs/whatever. Carton's Epitome is delicious and 21st Amendment's Back in Black are two beers that I would buy more than once.

What's the big fad style for 2015? My money is on a black pilsner.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Goons, I'd appreciate your input on something:

I know some of you have done blind taste tests — can you describe the logistics?

I think I have the ID-ing system down — I'll assign each of the six beers a # (1 through 6) and probably just have each person guess which one is (as well as name their favorite and least favorite). Will probably do a flight.

But before that, though — do you cover the cans/bottles somehow? Just pour 'em all while everyone else is in another room?

E: I'm gonna moderate it. Seems easiest that way \/\/\/

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 30, 2015

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Real Name Grover posted:

But before that, though — do you cover the cans/bottles somehow? Just pour 'em all while everyone else is in another room?

yes, or get the aid of a neutral party

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Iv'e often wondered about blind taste tests... and the whole "rarity has a taste" mentality.

I would like to do two neutral pourer scenarious ...

1) Have a bottle of a crazy stout (Dark Lord, Darkness, etc... nothing with too much "give away" flavor like cinnamon/pepper of the Huna) and tell the taster that glass A is a $5 bottle of stout from a new brewery and Glass B is a $40 dollar bottle from an exclusive reserve club... and see if I get different reactions.

2) Line up 6 of the same style of beer, and have 4 be whales and 2 be very solid regular beers (Ten Fidy comes to mind) and see who wins out.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Vertigo posted:

Iv'e often wondered about blind taste tests... and the whole "rarity has a taste" mentality.

1) Have a bottle of a crazy stout (Dark Lord, Darkness, etc... nothing with too much "give away" flavor like cinnamon/pepper of the Huna) and tell the taster that glass A is a $5 bottle of stout from a new brewery and Glass B is a $40 dollar bottle from an exclusive reserve club... and see if I get different reactions.

2) Line up 6 of the same style of beer, and have 4 be whales and 2 be very solid regular beers (Ten Fidy comes to mind) and see who wins out.

Dark Lord always stands out...

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Vertigo posted:

Good idea, but here's our selection: Busch Light, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite, Old Milwaukee Light, Natural Light. We're doing this before the Super Bowl because of course.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Real Name Grover posted:

Good idea, but here's our selection: Busch Light, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite, Old Milwaukee Light, Natural Light. We're doing this before the Super Bowl because of course.

(Sadly) I could absolutely blind ID Coors, Miller, and Natty.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Wamsutta posted:

They discontinued Levitation AND Sublimely Self Reightous, yes.

.... and announced Enjoy By Black IPA.

:negative:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Wheat IPAs count at "White IPAs", right? If so, I love me some white IPAs. Mmmmmm 4 Hands Contact High.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Do we have any Euro/Belgian goons? Rumblings that 3F Framboos is going to drop any day now...

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Ubik posted:

Hell, one of the best beers I've ever had in my life is Pilsner Urquell directly off a tap in the cellar, before it ever hits the filter or pasteurizer. (IF YOU EVER SEE ZWICKEL PILSNER URQUELL, RUN TOWARDS IT AND DRINK THE WHOLE KEG)

This is absolutely true. I could spend my life down in that cellar.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

krustster posted:

Yeah I was hoping for chunks too, but it was just really cloudy. And also super tasty. Obviously it was better than Scream, just a similar sort of taste.

Peche n Brett was pretty drat pulpy, lots of peach bits floating around in it, and it was fantastic. I think Sucaba and 2009 Nemesis both had a ton of poo poo floating around in them as well. All chunks were consumed and enjoyed.

I had RJ Rockers (lol) Peachy King once (as Im-peach-ment) and it was basically a smoothie. Easily my favorite thing they've done. I might try some of the 2gal of fruit puree sitting beneath the sour I'm about to bottle. What could go wrong?

nosleep posted:

Anyone ever go to Savor? $135 is steep but I think with all the breweries attending it would be worth it. I've heard the food aspect of it is just meh, but with all the special beer available, smaller lines, and the fact that owners/head brewers are there it's worth the price tag.

http://www.savorcraftbeer.com/beer-food/participating-breweries/

I went for the first 3 years. I hate it and won't go back unless I hear they've made big changes. For the three years I went it was mostly brewers I am familiar with bringing beers I can buy. IIRC it's max 2 beers per brewery. The food is conceptually good (and the cheese/chocolate is great), but tends to be a failure as the small bites that should be warm are cold by the time they get to the tables. Then there's the price to top it off. IMO just do Savor week events if you can find something that won't be slammed. Maybe we can get a few goons to show up at the same place even, and we won't have to dress up.

Honorable mention goes to Lagunitas year 1 right after 'last call' when someone who was very probably Tony Magee (had no idea who he was at the time and I was tipsy) said that the 2 beer restriction was bullshit and took out a 5-year vertical of Gnarly Wine for a friend and me. 2-3 more people wandered up when they saw something still pouring. It was amazing.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 30, 2015

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Real Name Grover posted:

Goons, I'd appreciate your input on something:

I know some of you have done blind taste tests — can you describe the logistics?

I think I have the ID-ing system down — I'll assign each of the six beers a # (1 through 6) and probably just have each person guess which one is (as well as name their favorite and least favorite). Will probably do a flight.

E: I'm gonna moderate it. Seems easiest that way \/\/\/

If you're trying to go truly blind, have the pours done in another room. When we do blind tasting on the show, the fact that it's a 22 vs. a 750 vs. 12oz or corked vs. capped can give big hints as to what the beer inside might be. Pour in the other room and bring out "Beer #1" and get notes. Then do Beer #2. Etc.

Vertigo posted:

Removing the branding and expectations from beer can make a big difference. I'm doing a BA Stout tasting soon with kind of a mixed bunch (although being BA stouts they all have some degree of walezness) and it'll be fun to see how the less heralded stuff holds up.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChickenArise posted:

RJ Rockers (lol) Peachy King once (as Im-peach-ment) and it was basically a smoothie. Easily my favorite thing they've done.

But I'd still be better off drinking, I dunno, Killians, right?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

ChickenArise posted:

I went for the first 3 years. I hate it and won't go back unless I hear they've made big changes. For the three years I went it was mostly brewers I am familiar with bringing beers I can buy. IIRC it's max 2 beers per brewery. The food is conceptually good (and the cheese/chocolate is great), but tends to be a failure as the small bites that should be warm are cold by the time they get to the tables. Then there's the price to top it off. IMO just do Savor week events if you can find something that won't be slammed. Maybe we can get a few goons to show up at the same place even, and we won't have to dress up.

Totally with you on all that about Savor and the side events can be quite badass. I normally wouldn't recommend RFD, but I went to an event in 2012 for $50 all in with a solid lineup of limited release beer from Allagash, SN, Boulevard, DFH, and two other local places I don't remember. Stuff like Saison Brett (it was Boulevard's debut in DC), Positive Contact (was hard to get at the time) ... umm two Allagash Coolship Beers. Plus other bars like Smoke and Barrel, Black Squirrel, Scion etc all break out the good taps.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MunchE posted:

If you're trying to go truly blind, have the pours done in another room. When we do blind tasting on the show, the fact that it's a 22 vs. a 750 vs. 12oz or corked vs. capped can give big hints as to what the beer inside might be. Pour in the other room and bring out "Beer #1" and get notes. Then do Beer #2. Etc.

Removing the branding and expectations from beer can make a big difference. I'm doing a BA Stout tasting soon with kind of a mixed bunch (although being BA stouts they all have some degree of walezness) and it'll be fun to see how the less heralded stuff holds up.

Granted, everything I'm pouring will come out of a 12 or 16 oz. can; I thought about covering them all with construction paper or something, but I think the other room idea will work, too.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Real Name Grover posted:

Comedy option: all 6 are Natty Light.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
As a non-participating moderator I seriously considered throwing Stella into it just to gently caress with them, but there's probably enough difference between it and light lagers to notice.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

a worthy uhh posted:

Do we have any Euro/Belgian goons? Rumblings that 3F Framboos is going to drop any day now...

Shelton Brothers will be importing some bottles. Good luck tracking some down though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

a worthy uhh posted:

Thanks for the heads up

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Spuckuk posted:

Thanks for the heads up

No problem, send me one as a thank you.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Sunday Feb 1 is Int. Gruit Day, so CBC, Mystic and Eagle Earth all brewed collaborative gruits. And Mystic will be tapping a couple kegs of their one off gruits tomorrow. Their festival collab has honeybush, schizandra berries, wormwood, hyssop, honey, and dogwood berries. Tomorrow I drink every gruits.

Can Gruit be the 2015 trend please?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ChickenArise posted:

I had RJ Rockers (lol) Peachy King once (as Im-peach-ment) and it was basically a smoothie. Easily my favorite thing they've done. I might try some of the 2gal of fruit puree sitting beneath the sour I'm about to bottle. What could go wrong?

This is how Avery Lilikoi Kepolo is but with passion fruit puree and it's one of my favorite beers of all time.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Shabadu posted:

Sunday Feb 1 is Int. Gruit Day, so CBC, Mystic and Eagle Earth all brewed collaborative gruits. And Mystic will be tapping a couple kegs of their one off gruits tomorrow. Their festival collab has honeybush, schizandra berries, wormwood, hyssop, honey, and dogwood berries. Tomorrow I drink every gruits.

Can Gruit be the 2015 trend please?

Nope, it's Radlers. Sorry.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChickenArise posted:

Nope, it's Radlers. Sorry.

I'm into it. I'd pay lots and lots of money to Off Color if they just released their radlers in bottles.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

I'm into it. I'd pay lots and lots of money to Off Color if they just released their radlers in bottles.

I'd drown myself in that, Lilikoi Kepolo, and Live Oak Hefeweizen if all 3 were widely released/distro'd.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

air- posted:

I'd drown myself in that, Lilikoi Kepolo, and Live Oak Hefeweizen if all 3 were widely released/distro'd.

They're canning Lilikoi Kepolo. Seriously. So fuckin amped, hope they do a decent release of it so I can buy enough to last me the summer.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

wattershed posted:

They're canning Lilikoi Kepolo. Seriously. So fuckin amped, hope they do a decent release of it so I can buy enough to last me the summer.

At the last Firestone Walker Invitational, a few friends and I got our tasters filled probably 4-5 times of Lilikoi while waiting for Rufus Corvus to pour. With all the big BA beers, Lilikoi was perfect to break that chain and enjoy on a warm day. I can't wait to buy a ton and drink it all summer.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
That's great news. They sent some here for a tap takeover and I enjoyed the leftovers. It's crazy how over the last ~10yrs I've gone from 'fruit beer is ok sometimes i guess' to 'fruit beer isn't very good' and now to 'give me more fruit beer ASAP'

Apache
May 11, 2004

a worthy uhh posted:

I'm wondering what I could get for a 4 year vertical since I've still got a bunch of 13s and 1 each of 12 and 14 either in a trade or cash in late March after I get my four bottles of 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So Chicago trip report #2, I know some of this will be repetitive based on my last post, but I want to gather some thoughts.

Went over to Revolution to have a quick beer before Goose Island. Had Coffee Eugene and Fist City. Coffee Eugene is one of the best coffee beers I've ever had. Super creamy with prominent earthy roasted coffee and a cocoa powder backing. Fist City is a clean pale ale with a light floral and citrus presence. Drinkable as heck. The brewpub is nice, it sort of has a log cabin feel though that's a bit weird for a city, but definitely cozy.

Went to a place called Emporium right after and they had nothing but cans, various games like pinball, pool and air hockey. It was really cool that they had a permanent food truck inside of the building. It was also huge in there, at least huge compared to any bar I've been to in Philly. Actually, it seems like everywhere in Chicago is larger than Philly based on where I've drank in both places.

Went to Goose Island and the beer was excellent. Had a 12% BBA winter warmer that was prominent with barrel, booze and fruity undertones, some toffee/caramel flavors along with it. I then switched to a 2.8% Berliner which was pretty phenomenal. Everyone who tried it agreed that it was a drat good beer. Lastly I finished with a sample of their coffee porter which I thought was good as well, not as savory as Coffee Eugene but with a sharper coffee profile. I met crazyfish and LeafHouse, super great dudes would meet again and would suggest anyone in town to grab a beer with them!

Last night I went to a local bar called Blarney Stone where I got pretty hammered without realizing it thanks to "Not Your Father's Root Beer" which is a 20% abv hard root beer. I'm pretty sure the person who invented it did so solely to get people hosed up beyond belief without realizing it. I ordered 6 ounces and could have drank it like root beer. I had 5 Rabbit's Ponche which I think was like a BBA cider/barleywine hybrid? I dunno but it had light tart cherry, some cider, with caramel and toasty malts, nice beer for sure. Une Arre Airing of Grievences was a nice sort of Belgiany stout with a chocolate presence. Then I ended with a Three Floyds Dreadnaught and a Gumballhead.

So far I've loved the places I've gone to and the beer has been great! I'm going to try to make it to Three Floyds tomorrow around lunch before my flight leaves and will be going out tonight. I'll report back once I'm in NJ!