Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
MSNBC just went over a bunch of polling that shows the Tea Partiers like Romney a lot more than Jeb, so that may be pushing him into a run. No word on the dozen other candidates that will run to Romney's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

Romney's out (according to Hugh Hewitt who got this email).

..... THE END?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

drat it, Romney. You're ruining it for us.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

drat it, Romney. You're ruining it for us.

How we will manage to find amusement in the Republican nomination process now???

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

How we will manage to find amusement in the Republican nomination process now???

I don't want amusement. I want ~*chaos*~.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Huh. Mark Haleprin over at Bloomberg stacked up a bunch of evidence that he's probably running ( http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/features/2015-01-30/why-mitt-romney-thinks-he-can-win-and-jeb-bush-can-t- , with some commentary here: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal-a/2015_01/mitt_edges_up_to_the_starting053943.php ). OTOH, one of Romney's key campaign figures (the guy who ran his Iowa operation) just signed on with Jeb ( http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal-a/2015_01/smalltime_businessman_snags_ke053944.php )

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Pinterest Mom posted:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is extremely my poo poo.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Hahaha, Michael Steele is one of the five people competing and he compared the randomized draft to 2010 when basically someone giving him a card that says "Sorry, you got Christine O'Donnell this time around." This is kind of gold.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Goddamnit. All that for nothing. What a tease. I was really looking forward to Mittbot 3.0: This Time It's Personal

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I honestly feel bad for Romney, I could feel how badly he wanted to be a U.S. President, I don't think I've ever wanted anything that much.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
So I guess it's Jeb, then.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

John Dingell on Willard's announcement

https://twitter.com/JohnDingell/status/561192030316298241?s=09

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

baw posted:

So I guess it's Jeb, then.

I'm thinking Rick Perry will try to take the "respectable candidate" tack and then we get to watch him campaign while dodging felony charges.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Syjefroi posted:

Hahaha, Michael Steele is one of the five people competing and he compared the randomized draft to 2010 when basically someone giving him a card that says "Sorry, you got Christine O'Donnell this time around." This is kind of gold.

Can't help liking that dude.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
What a letdown. I guess we need to change the title of this thread, then.

Romnedämmerung?
Romneygeddon?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

While I think this was too good to be true, I believe we really do deserve a late re-entrant Mitt coming back in at the worst possible time. Like how it became mitt last time once everyone got anointed and then had their scandals play out one by one.

Mitt can still be in itt.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

^^^^ Beaten, but I got art.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
What grim night follows this acrid sunset?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Joementum posted:

Romney's out (according to Hugh Hewitt who got this email).

..... THE END?

I'm actually stunned. Or rather I would actually be stunned if Mitt really did not run. As silly as it is to run a loser again, I had him pegged for the nominee.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Romney kneecapped a ton of goons' hopes for a comedic GOP primary, it seems :sigh:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Actually, a Romney-inevitability might have toned down the primary fight. If it's an actual open field we might get to see some real fights. I don't think Jeb has nearly as strong of a hold on the nomination as Romney would have.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

Mr. Romney said he believed he could win the nomination, but he expressed concern about harming the party’s chances to retake the White House. “I did not want to make it more difficult for someone else to emerge who may have a better chance of becoming the president,” he said.

He added that it was “unlikely” that he would change his mind.

"unlikely"! The dream is still alive as long as we have hope :unsmith:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
NYTimes reporting that Romney is meeting with Chris Christie tonight.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/u...WT.nav=top-news

quote:

Early word of Mr. Romney’s decision sent waves through the Republican donor world early Friday, as Romney aides began to telegraph the news to donors and other staff members and strategists. Some donors immediately began calling representatives of other potential candidates, such as Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey, to discuss offering their support.

Mr. Romney’s announcement started a day of reckoning with his would-be rivals. He is scheduled to have dinner with Mr. Christie on Friday evening, according to two people with knowledge of his schedule, suggesting that Mr. Romney may be considering throwing his support, and that of his own political operation, to Mr. Christie. The two men are friendly, and Mr. Christie, along with Mr. Bush, was a main rival of Mr. Romney for the favor of the Republican establishment.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

This needs to be in every post.

Now that mittens is gone, does it make Christie v Jeb even rougher as they jockey for the least insane but viable conservative.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Jeb's camp must be ecstatic, Romney was the only one that could throw a big enough monkey wrench into his campaign. Now we have to hope that Jeb's campaign implodes on its own.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pron on VHS posted:

I honestly feel bad for Romney, I could feel how badly he wanted to be a U.S. President, I don't think I've ever wanted anything that much.

I don't think Romney wanted to be president so much as Ann Romney wanted to be First Lady.

I'm also personally unconvinced that he's out entirely. He might be angling for VP instead of the big chair.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I don't think Romney wanted to be president so much as Ann Romney wanted to be First Lady.

I'm also personally unconvinced that he's out entirely. He might be angling for VP instead of the big chair.

If he wasn't 67 I'd honestly believe that he's trying to pull a Nixon by playing losing-king maker in 2016.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

QwertyAsher posted:

I'm thinking Rick Perry will try to take the "respectable candidate" tack and then we get to watch him campaign while dodging felony charges.

As a Texan, I look forward to this song and dance immensely. Every time Perry opens his mouth, all the other nominees have to do is mention that Perry is being investigated for felony charges. They can even change their tone if they think the audience is more interested that Perry did something wrong or if he got caught. All the while investors will be avoiding Perry like the plague, giving Perry a tiny warchest, and he'll have to schedule events around his court dates.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mitt Romney is not angling for the VP spot, jesus.

If he's holding out hope, it might be as the consensus compromise choice for a ~~brokered convention~~.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

If he's holding out hope, it might be as the consensus compromise choice for a ~~brokered convention~~.

Oh please, please, please, oh please :pray:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Excellent work on the thread title, by the way. I almost didn't notice.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am sad Romney isn't running again. It is so much fun making fun of him, he is a great target.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

Skips the primaries, lets them go to their logical extreme insanity, avoids all the poo poo slinging and at the end of the line swoops in and "rescues" the Republican party?

That actually makes a lot of sense.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I like that he said by focusing on the message of making the world better for the poor. He didn't actually say focus ON making the world better for the poor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pinterest Mom posted:

My guess is that the big donors just weren't there.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
"I think I'm be the best candidate, but I'm ducking out in the hopes that somebody better comes along." Pretty empty letter to be a capstone of such a troll. Sure, the guy who wasn't actually the White Horse is bowing out to put his money on a dark one.

What information would have come in that could have changed his mind? Donors? When he says his camp thought it looked promising and the money was lining up, that seems believable. It just seems such a random about-face.

Pinterest Mom posted:

~~brokered convention~~

Can't even let myself hope, I've been trolled too hard today.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My guess is that the big donors just weren't there.

Yeah, he spent three weeks talking to all the important people and concluded he would lose, and badly. Invisible primary at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am guessing that this was decided last week when Bush and Romney met up. They probably hashed out what donors where with which person and how they would compare. Romney has to realize that both he and Bush are going after the same sub group of Republicans.

Now, Romney can sell off his influence (and donors) to the highest bidder. I am guessing that Romney will meet with Christie and other candidates in the coming weeks. I initially thought VP push but I now I think he would see that as beneath him. He could be looking for a prominent role though in an upcoming administration.

• Locked thread