Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mycroft Holmes posted:

The Death Star is basicly the F-35.

it all makes sense.

sheev and the imp military didn't even want it i bet, but military procurement went buck wild, who could resist a project where you can spread building the systems for a whole artificial PLANET out over all your space congressional districts. death star? more like JOB STAR

and that is why the senate had to be disbanded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
http://www.kolumbus.fi/jedi.akatemia/KARS%20AU.bmp

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Dyna Soar posted:

there's no specific thing as i've never read any of this poo poo. basically what makes me cringe is that such a thing as a star wars EU exists in the capacity it does and that so many ppl obsess over it

Well that, and the fact that people over the age of 15 somehow think it's good and get really, really angry when Disney decides to reboot it because there's no loving way you could make a movie after ROTJ with the huge convoluted mess that the post-ROTJ EU is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The best part is that George ignored the book canon whenever it suited him anyway.

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well that, and the fact that people over the age of 15 somehow think it's good and get really, really angry when Disney decides to reboot it because there's no loving way you could make a movie after ROTJ with the huge convoluted mess that the post-ROTJ EU is.

That doesn't make me cringe. That single moment, when millions of nerd voices cried out in terror made the whole drat thing worthwhile. That and those "Ask a Sith" threads.

Heck, it still makes me smile. Boba Fett is dead. He fell in the loving Sarlaac and there's nothing anyone can say otherwise. Finally, after two decades of that poo poo we get a break.

I know they're going to do that poo poo all over again, I know. They'll probably make a loving movie about him getting out of that loving pit but for now he is loving dead.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

freethought posted:

That doesn't make me cringe. That single moment, when millions of nerd voices cried out in terror made the whole drat thing worthwhile. That and those "Ask a Sith" threads.

Heck, it still makes me smile. Boba Fett is dead. He fell in the loving Sarlaac and there's nothing anyone can say otherwise. Finally, after two decades of that poo poo we get a break.

I know they're going to do that poo poo all over again, I know. They'll probably make a loving movie about him getting out of that loving pit but for now he is loving dead.

I mean I'm pretty glad they decided to dump the EU wholelsale and I've been saying that for years. Boba Fett should stay dead but he's not going to and the expanded universe is still being run by the same people so it probably won't be long before they completely poo poo it all up again.

Like seriously, removing 30 years of convoluted continuity and dumb storylines feels like we've just removed a gigantic tumor.

That said, Rebels isn't amazing but it's pretty okay and the first issue of the marvel star wars comic was pretty decent so maybe star wars can be okay for a while and not completely poo poo for the first time since like 1996.

Also we all know popular characters like Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn are gonna come back somehow. I'm willing to bet you money.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
lol if you guys think disney isn't gonna make a trilogy of boba fett movies

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
booba feet sells too many tous to be dead

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
For Bobba Fett to work in New EU or a movie is to start with a monologue of 'I fell in, but I didn't die... '

Problem solved.

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

beanieson posted:

Oh believe me, I know. That's why I intend to cherish this time we've been given. I feel like none of it was ever real. Just me and my old VHS tapes. That's all there is now. I feel like I can even forget about them.

Tomorrow will be very much like yesterday so lets just enjoy today.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

beanieson posted:

This is my unironic desire

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

freethought posted:

He isn't dead. He is alive in the sarlacc. In its belly Fett will find a new definition of pain and suffering as he are slowly digested over a thousand years.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

This is my unironic desire

as long as its cool boba fett and not lame boba fett, then same

also imo, its completely sensible to me that fett could survive the sarlacc pit. i loving hope we get a scene of him jet packing the gently caress out of that toothy maw :getin:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

pengun101 posted:

He isn't dead. He is alive in the sarlacc. In its belly Fett will find a new definition of pain and suffering as he are slowly digested over a thousand years.

I hope episode 7 opens with Boba Fett clawing his way out of the sarlacc before being knocked back in when Admiral Thrawn and Dash Rendar trip over each other and fall in with him.

Maybe Thrawn yells something about having never seen a sarlacc painting so he doesn't know how to fight them.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i hope boba fett has his original voice and not that maori bullshit

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

freethought posted:

Tomorrow will be very much like yesterday so lets just enjoy today.

This sentence is too good to be trapped in the Star Wars Expanded Universe thread

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Corporate Kane posted:

i hope boba fett has his original voice and not that maori bullshit

I hope they keep the original actor as well

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

pengun101 posted:

Dude, the first four words.

Pastry of the Year posted:

This sentence is too good to be trapped in the Star Wars Expanded Universe thread

It sounds good but when you realise I was writing about a man dressed up as a space knight who fell into a giant deadly vagina, then someone wrote that he got out of the giant deadly vagina and then someone else said that's not true and how we're all now sitting around waiting for him to once again be extricated from the giant deadly vagina, it doesn't seem so profound.

Now that is a loving Star Wars EU sentence.

freethought fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 30, 2015

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

TK-42-1 posted:

*pushes glasses up nose*

Actually that isn't the actor that was just a stand-in...

:smug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

david... posted:

Jeremy Bulloch (the actual actor) must have only been on set for a few days for each of the films that Boba Fett appeared in and the lines were re-recorded by some other guy but he's still pretty much made a career out of appearing at fan conventions ever since.

Let's check in on Jeremy and see how that's working out for him ...

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Jeremy Bulloch (the actual actor) must have only been on set for a few days for each of the films that Boba Fett appeared in and the lines were re-recorded by some other guy but he's still pretty much made a career out of appearing at fan conventions ever since.

That's almost as depressing as those posts from that goon who unknowingly ran into Jake Lloyd as an adult.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Jake lloyd is the gayest darth vader in a world where hayden christiaansen played,vader twice lol

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Has anyone ever played sabacc? I figure some nerd worked out the rules with an actual deck or computer program. The more depraved Star Wars nerds wouldn't be able to keep their hammy hands away from it.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Has anyone ever played sabacc? I figure some nerd worked out the rules with an actual deck or computer program. The more depraved Star Wars nerds wouldn't be able to keep their hammy hands away from it.

Wasn't it in the first KOTOR game? There was some kinda gambling mini game in there.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder how often he's asked to retell the tale of seeing carrie fishers titty

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I tried playing it in KOTOR ONCE. Then I wondered why the hell I was playing card games when I could be shooting up some siths with my pew pew laser guns.

Some one kinda figured out so you could play it with a deck of cards though:

http://www.pagat.com/invented/sabacc.html

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://theculturalgutter.com/science-fiction/in-a-galaxy-far-far-away.html

The Lando books sound fun!

quote:

Lando Calrissian enters an underground cathedral, one constructed to force a feeling of awe in a person, one with polished floors meant to force a person to take small steps, precariously balanced, with no choice but to contemplate the power of gods and subservience of man. Lando reacts by taking a running start and sliding across the floor as he shouts “Wheee!”

L. Neil Smith is nearly as strange as one of the characters he might put in these books. An early member of the Libertarian party and an outspoken member of the libertarian futurist movement (which has been responsible for a number of amazing, if slightly crackpot, ideas, like building a futuristic sea city, a dream that served in many ways as the basis of the setting for the video game BioShock). He’s run for political office a couple of times but never achieved much success. Apart from his work on the Lando adventures, his best-known series is about an alternate-reality America where sound libertarian-futurist principles form the basis of the government. His libertarian beliefs don’t manifest too much in the Lando books, though they perhaps explain Lando’s irreverence in the face of that which is supposed to cow him into worship; and why Smith was a little more willing to address real-world politics in his books than was at the time common in Star Wars material.
One of the problems with Star Wars‘ position in modern pop culture is that so much fun is drained out of it. Pedantic bickering about canon, trivia one-upmanship, snide and condescending dismissal of others for “not knowing enough,” these things force into the back seat the actual point of Star Wars: sitting back with some space pulp and just enjoying yourself. These goofy, charming books are the perfect antidote to taking things a little too seriously. Lando makes for such an affable hero, unwilling to take anything too seriously. Even the fact that he saves two ancient, hyper-intelligent alien races from extinction doesn’t make him the least bit self-centered or self-important.
Like the Han Solo adventures, Lando’s trilogy can easily be consumed over the span of a couple of days. They are excellent companions and continue to turn the Star Wars universe into something more substantial than just a bunch of rebels fighting a bunch of Imperials. Hitching a ride on the Falcon with captains Solo and Calrissian is like going on a sight-seeing tour of a galaxy much more diverse and complex than we ever see in the movies, one populated by con men and space riverboat gamblers, heroes and janitors and shamans and wizards and folks just trying to make a living. We never find out how Lando and Han met and became friends, but that’s not important. There are cigars to be smoked, formal wear to be properly fitted, and jokes to be cracked at the expense of those who, unlike Lando, are obsessed with their own power and importance.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Jace Madan posted:

I tried playing it in KOTOR ONCE. Then I wondered why the hell I was playing card games when I could be shooting up some siths with my pew pew laser guns.

Some one kinda figured out so you could play it with a deck of cards though:

http://www.pagat.com/invented/sabacc.html

In the defense of pazaak, KOTOR was produced in a time when every RPG had to have a minigame like that. It's also entirely skippable if I remember (unlike blitzball, which I think you're forced to play through at least once to progress the game) and I never felt the game hits you over the head with it. I think it's there if you want to pretend to be Han Solo going to bars gambling money on cards.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

burritolingus posted:

In the defense of pazaak, KOTOR was produced in a time when every RPG had to have a minigame like that. It's also entirely skippable if I remember (unlike blitzball, which I think you're forced to play through at least once to progress the game) and I never felt the game hits you over the head with it. I think it's there if you want to pretend to be Han Solo going to bars gambling money on cards.

Oh yeah, i forgot it was called something different in KOTOR. But yeah, it was skippable.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

those minigames were the best part and new games that don't have them are bad

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Jace Madan posted:

Oh yeah, i forgot it was called something different in KOTOR. But yeah, it was skippable.

Maybe the swoop tracks. Pretty sure you had to do at least one for the plot.

Chill la Chill posted:

those minigames were the best part and new games that don't have them are bad

TOR doesn't have pazaak or swoop racing, but it has other minigames and things to do.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

the guy from the force unleashed should've taken a breather and just played some card games with some stormtroopers every now and then to unwind

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

burritolingus posted:

Maybe the swoop tracks. Pretty sure you had to do at least one for the plot.

TOR doesn't have pazaak or swoop racing, but it has other minigames and things to do.

Yeah, you had to do a swoop race on Taris, further solidifying it as one of the most awful locations to ever appear in an RPG.

Wasn't Pazaak just Blackjack but it was 20 and you had your own deck? Basically like Blackjack but utter bullshit instead.

Now Triple Triad, that was a pretty decent little card game.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i remember in the 90s i think somebody made a sabacc program for the pc

probably lost to teh sands of time

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fetus Tree posted:

i remember in the 90s i think somebody made a sabacc program for the pc

probably lost to teh sands of time

I had it and I played it. Wasn't too bad, and certainly satisfied young me's craving for horrible Star Wars minutiae

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

david... posted:

*pushes glasses up nose*

:smug:

*pushes glasses into frontal lobes*

Isnt that was the actor hired for the 97 Special Edition's not theoriginal 80s actor.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
*pushes glasses up butt*

Mmm

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fetus Tree posted:

*pushes glasses up butt*

Mmm

One Sith One Cup. I saw that video, I did not enjoy it.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

TK-42-1 posted:

Chomo Fett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Don't want this thread to die.

Incase some of you don't know, GOG has released most of the best star wars games this past couple of weeks.

I grabbed empire at war so far. Had a new egg gift cert so i ordered a joystick. Will soon be playing TIE Fighter and Xwing Alliance.

• Locked thread