Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
i would like that but they dont use it at my job

and yeah its annoying theyre redoing the whole thing wtf is that about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

Enjoy relearning it when 2.0 comes out

lol

as retarded as 2.0 is going to be the changes totally make sense. it's just that once you make explicit all the moron magic going on behind the scenes in angular it becomes transparent how stupid and convoluted it is.

oh and by the way the team is also working on a JS+ language (AtScript) which is a super set of TypeScript but I guess they are also at the same time coding everything in ES6 and cross compiling it to ES6. don't worry though you can totally just write your code in ES5 I'm sure it will be fine and not stupid and painful.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

MononcQc posted:

Right, but when you see that merge conflict, you tell the guy "rebase your branch" and then they have to fix it on their own and bring it to a mergeable point without loving up with trunk/master or anything and the final result isn't full of merge conflict resolutions when you get to review it.

I started everyone out with "no resets!" and "no rebases" because, welp, people don't get what 'push' does, and history rewriting is a pain.

Now that I've explained LOCAL resets are ok, I'm wondering about rebase or not. On the one hand I really want them to push often so we don't lose code, which has already happened! OTOH if they can rebase into a big ole squashed hunk-of-work, that's also sweet, and easier to revert just that commit versus a range of commits.

Should I start expecting people to do a end of day rebase before a push or something?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

which javascript framework is the one that's totally rewritten every three months?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
angular

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

which javascript framework is the one that's totally rewritten every three months?

all of them

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is there some website I can forward to devs that are being introduced to real source control for the first time, "Explain like I'm 5" style? I really like this for explaining workflows in general but even the explanations on that page is too complex for some of these people.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Space Whale posted:

I started everyone out with "no resets!" and "no rebases" because, welp, people don't get what 'push' does, and history rewriting is a pain.

Now that I've explained LOCAL resets are ok, I'm wondering about rebase or not. On the one hand I really want them to push often so we don't lose code, which has already happened! OTOH if they can rebase into a big ole squashed hunk-of-work, that's also sweet, and easier to revert just that commit versus a range of commits.

Should I start expecting people to do a end of day rebase before a push or something?

Not really. If they're working fine as they are and you fear they'll gently caress it up, keep them doing good work that works.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

:laffo:

quote:

We are an entertainment company that has started an expansion into Video Games. We are seeking interns for our new department. Our goal is to create the next generation of video games. Do you have the right stuff to be a part of our team?

If you are looking for a real opportunity to cut your teeth on a real project that has a lot of potential for growth.

We're looking for people that are able to learn our main game engine within 2 weeks of starting. The game engine that we are using is OpenSimulator. The game engine is in C# and the viewer for it is in C++. The game engine is in Alpha and needs to have odds ends fixed and cleaned up.

You must be able to learn everything quickly and independently. We will provide reference information. You'll need to be able to compile a program in OSX, Windows and Linux.

We are looking for someone who has experience with Joomla, html, CSS, Java, networking, C#, C++, lsl, ossl, MySQL, OSX, Irrlicht, Panda 3D, PhysX, Windows server, Linux Ubuntu and Ruby is a plus.

We want someone who understands the long term goal and wants to be a part of it and is ready to jump right in and go. Time is of the essence. The quicker this gets going the quicker that you move up.

We meet in Facebook through out the day. You must be able to read and respond to requests. We will meet formally once a week for catchup sessions in the program and once every two weeks for full meeting.

This is an internship with a lot of potential for growth. You must be very dependable, independent, honest and hard working. Some of the qualities that we are looking for include someone that is ambitious, imaginative, self starter and highly motivated.

Again this is an internship position and the length will depend on how long you take to work on the projects and prove that you are willing to go that extra mile. Once the internship has concluded and you made it to the end you will be a full time employee.

There is no time limit. It all depends on how fast you and how well you can get the job done. If you start discussing how much and how soon you will be paid then you are not the right fit for us. This is about dedication and drive.

we are making video game. you must have experience with every technology ever. also you must know linux, mac, and windows. no we won't pay you, if you want money gently caress off.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Luigi Thirty posted:

we are making video game. you must have experience with every technology ever. also you must know linux, mac, and windows. no we won't pay you, if you want money gently caress off.

:lol: an intern that literally is doing all the work? nice business model.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

every part of that is funny.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The "If we pull this off, we'll eat like kings." edition of The Far Side comes to mind.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MrMoo posted:

isn't this the startup business model? :supaburn:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

MrMoo posted:

nice dol violations

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

aw drat

i have experience writing game engines that use Joomla, html, CSS, Java, networking, C#, C++, lsl, ossl, MySQL, OSX, Irrlicht, Panda 3D, PhysX, Windows server, Linux Ubuntu but not Ruby

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the drama continues: now they've gone from "WE WANT TO HIRE YOU RIGHT NOW" to "oh sorry hiring freeze" to "hey uh are you still available for this position :ohdear:" in the space of a month???

quote:

this place is run by clowns

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 30, 2015

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
"toolsVersion: Selected MSBuild tools version is not supported by selected MSBuild version"

gently caress why is this so hard

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

Right, but when you see that merge conflict, you tell the guy "rebase your branch" and then they have to fix it on their own and bring it to a mergeable point without loving up with trunk/master or anything and the final result isn't full of merge conflict resolutions when you get to review it.

i prefer the continuous integration approach

everyone works from the same branch and merges/commits frequently. if your commit breaks the build, a big red light turns on and then there's peer pressure to fix your poo poo

your approach is more 1:1 -- i go find an offender on release day and tell him to go gently caress himself. that would work, but it's not how i like to get things done

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i prefer the continuous integration approach

everyone works from the same branch and merges/commits frequently. if your commit breaks the build, a big red light turns on and then there's peer pressure to fix your poo poo

your approach is more 1:1 -- i go find an offender on release day and tell him to go gently caress himself. that would work, but it's not how i like to get things done

we have jenkins set up to run on all commits that get pushed up to the repository and if any of the builds break it sets a big red flag in the code review

we also dont have as many tests of all kinds as id like, but they're coming

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fritz posted:

we have jenkins set up to run on all commits that get pushed up to the repository and if any of the builds break it sets a big red flag in the code review

we also dont have as many tests of all kinds as id like, but they're coming

yeah naturally i have this now

the problem is that of course the tests pass in your feature branch. issues arise when you actually go to merge back to the release branch. then things get sticky

i would like use CI to create a social norm around merge-early merge-often, and pushing people away from feature branching is a step in that direction

but oh well

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i'm jealous of you guys that have ci setups and have a standardized development process

every one is our projects are literally 3-5 month sprints with a team of 1 pm, 1 sr dev, and 1 jr dev. we might get a ba as well if we're unlucky

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DaTroof posted:

just put the joke in the answer to one of your questions. no one will ever see it again

:newlol:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Blinkz0rz posted:

3-5 month sprints

hm

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Blinkz0rz posted:

3-5 month sprints

these are called "marathons"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Space Whale posted:

when i am working on a feature branch i rebase it down to one commit and then just cherry-pick it into master

i probably shouldnt be doing that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

when i am working on a feature branch i rebase it down to one commit and then just cherry-pick it into master

i probably shouldnt be doing that

why would you do this

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

why would you do this

people i work with like to do a squash merge, but i'm not sure why and i've never bothered to ask

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Blinkz0rz posted:

3-5 month sprints

snorted derisively irl

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I think it's because reverting a range, even if it includes HEAD, is just hard, and a big squashed commit is more easier.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

rotor posted:

snorted derisively irl

Whilst snorting I

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

trap sprung on all these agile fools

but seriously, i was talking about 1 shot projects that run for 3-5 months and then end

no time or staff to build any kind of appreciable infrastructure even though it would help all of our projects down the line. also, can't do anything that's not project related because god forbid we're not billable to a client.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Blinkz0rz posted:

trap sprung on all these agile fools

but seriously, i was talking about 1 shot projects that run for 3-5 months and then end

no time or staff to build any kind of appreciable infrastructure even though it would help all of our projects down the line. also, can't do anything that's not project related because god forbid we're not billable to a client.

Update your resume.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

yeah i should

unfortunately i'm a bit of a polyglot programmer without much specialization. i've written decent software in p much every major language out there but i can't write much code without access to documentation.

i think i'm gonna start really diving into c# or java. probably c#. what do you guys think?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

You're significantly more qualified than you think you are, go apply for something

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
c# and java are only worth using if you want the best tools, languages, frameworks, and the most money.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Blinkz0rz posted:

i think i'm gonna start really diving into c# or java. probably c#. what do you guys think?

both are good choices. go c# if you only want to work on windows, java if you want to do linux stuff as well.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

oh yeah, i've also been spoiled like gently caress by the "mission" of my current company

all the postings i see out there are for creating tooling for marketing platforms and it disgusts me

i wrote software that directs malaria spraying efforts in africa. the code i've written has literally saved lives. i don't want to work for a company that exists to make advertising easier

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

also what are good resources for learning advanced concepts in either c# or java? stuff that's really specific to either of the languages

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Shaggar posted:

c# and java are only worth using if you want the best tools, languages, frameworks, and the most money.

This but only c#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

also what are good resources for learning advanced concepts in either c# or java? stuff that's really specific to either of the languages

'clr via c#'

• Locked thread