Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Devian666 posted:

Alright so say he bought 72 ounces of silver right now at $20 that would cost $1440.

To pay for the $1000 of interest per month on $50k he would need a profit on the silver of $12k.

He'll be in the money if the price of silver goes up to about $187 per ounce. I can't see how this would go wrong. :shepface:

Except he's buying some every month so his average cost price is going to go up along the way as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
$50k of CC debt is so retarded. If the cards have a minimum of 3% he'll need to pay $1500 per month. That's crazy as that would be my entire mortgage payment for my house and this guy needs to pay at least that every month unless some of the cards have a 5% minimum.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Devian666 posted:

$50k of CC debt is so retarded. If the cards have a minimum of 3% he'll need to pay $1500 per month. That's crazy as that would be my entire mortgage payment for my house and this guy needs to pay at least that every month unless some of the cards have a 5% minimum.

Depends on where you live though.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Nope! No matter where you live, $50k of credit card debt is loving dumb.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

slap me silly posted:

No matter where you live, $50k of credit card debt is loving dumb.

The current thread title is super accurate but this is a good one if you're in a changey mood.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

slap me silly posted:

Nope! No matter where you live, $50k of credit card debt is loving dumb.

Especially when I'm borrowing $280k for the same repayment rate and I get a heap of tax write offs. Credit card debt is a very retarded thing.

In fact one of my friends who worked in the credit card application processing section of a bank could see people destroying their finances with credit cards. Others who worked there didn't see it the same way as him as they knew the rules and would apply for more credit cards to spend that free money.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I had a client in his 60's who wanted to sell all his investments and buy only metals ETFs. Besides being a horrible idea, I can't imagine my compliance departments reaction - not to mention any other state or federal regulating body. If he had been dead set on that I would have had to tell him to take his accounts elsewhere.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

th vwls hv scpd posted:

You only get that write off if you use a personal vehicle for work. If you are required to be on-site at the start of the day, you can not write that off. Only mileage between locations while working.

It's still a good metric for evaluating your personal cost of operating a car, even if you aren't claiming it on your tax returns.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Powerlurker posted:

It's still a good metric for evaluating your personal cost of operating a car, even if you aren't claiming it on your tax returns.

Point taken. I've only been able to write some mileage off for a year. Where I live, a vehicle is a necessity. While I would like to take a bus to work, I both work and live in the wrong areas of town to be able to do so.

I can't fathom not having a car here, so I just look at it as a necessity and try to keep the expenses low.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Actually if you can afford to spend 7 years with poo poo credit and dealing with debt collectors, buying a poo poo ton of gold or silver on your credit card, burying it until the SoL expires, and then digging it up and selling it would get you lots of money.

I don't know if you could realistically call it "good" with money.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Delta-Wye posted:

This thread is full of econ101-level analysis. Laffer would be proud!

First, assume a perfectly spherical economy in a vacuum...

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone doesn't understand credit cards

https://www.change.org/p/j-p-morgan-chase-co-auto-pay-option-for-amount-other-than-the-minimum-due-or-full-balance

quote:

LETTER TO
JPMorgan Chase

Auto-pay option for amount other than the minimum due or full balance

This company's online auto-payment options are a racket! They limit you to the option of paying the minimum due or paying off the card entirely. Many people do not have the immediate funds available to pay the full card balance at one time, but paying only the minimum due every month ensures that Chase will have me roped into making payments to them for years to come. Their solution to this problem, I suppose, is that you can make one time payments each month. This, of course, is to trap you, because with busy schedules, they know you will forget to make a payment on time here or there and then they'll get you in late fees and raised rates. They need to allow the "pay other amount" option so customers can pay an amount higher than the minimum due, but lower than the full balance instead of trying to hold us under their thumb!

Caitlin Vallee
Norcross, GA

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'm the guy held under the thumb of the bank even though I chose to borrow money from them.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Couldn't he just go on and manually add a payment any time he wanted? Or call? That's being lazy.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

... whereas when you drive you're pretty much stuck staring at the road for the entire time you're in the car.

If only this were true, and we didn't need cellphone/distracted driving laws.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Knyteguy posted:

Couldn't he just go on and manually add a payment any time he wanted? Or call? That's being lazy.

Yes.

She's complaining about forgetting about paying bills/debts. It's a classic scenario for those who have so many different debts that they struggle manage them. She's probably in financial trouble given that she basically says she can't pay the entire credit card bill each month. She's seeking to blame the bank for her financial mismanagement.

e: for gender.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 30, 2015

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Fidelity Billpay used to be too stupid to pay the credit card statement balance, resulting in your only options being the minimum payment or a fixed amount that you type in. For all I know they still have that problem, I stopped using it because of that.

That person should really set up an automatic payment for the minimum, and then they can log in whenever and make an additional manual payment. At least if they forget it would still get paid.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

I'm the guy held under the thumb of the bank even though I chose to borrow money from them.

Sure you have a point, but it's not like banks have ever been known to go out of their way to structure everything about bank accounts and credit cards against the consumer in order to maximize fees and interest, no siree

Deep 13
Sep 6, 2007
"Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's WORK OUT"
To be fair, my credit union does the same poo poo (you just enter in the statement balance manually), but my accounts through the big banks all have statement/current balance options to preselect. This did at least spur me to write my credit union and ask that they include this feature.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Sure you have a point, but it's not like banks have ever been known to go out of their way to structure everything about bank accounts and credit cards against the consumer in order to maximize fees and interest, no siree

Well yes but complaining about how "hard" it is to remember to pay your credit card bill these days it really reaching. Between putting a check in the mail, paying by phone, website, or app it's never been easier.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

nickutz posted:

Well yes but complaining about how "hard" it is to remember to pay your credit card bill these days it really reaching. Between putting a check in the mail, paying by phone, website, or app it's never been easier.
If I'm going to pay a bill I demand the ability to do so while naked in bed.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I get that every day at work. "I forgot to pay so the evil company cancelled my policy AND wanted me to pay a reinstatement fee AND wanted me to pay last months premium that I never paid! THE NERVE OF THE EVIL COMPANY". Consequently they are the same people likely to reject automatic payments because ~reasons~, then flip out when their bills are late.

I may have brought this up before, but I'll say it again, being paid in cash and refusing to use a debit card is Bad With Money. If you pay your bills on a prepaid card that you have to go to the bank/store to put a lousy $11.99 on it to pay an important bill, you should really just have it deposited into a free account. poo poo, isn't' Google Wallet completely free and allows you to make Mastercard backed transactions?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Jastiger posted:

I get that every day at work. "I forgot to pay so the evil company cancelled my policy AND wanted me to pay a reinstatement fee AND wanted me to pay last months premium that I never paid! THE NERVE OF THE EVIL COMPANY". Consequently they are the same people likely to reject automatic payments because ~reasons~, then flip out when their bills are late.

I may have brought this up before, but I'll say it again, being paid in cash and refusing to use a debit card is Bad With Money. If you pay your bills on a prepaid card that you have to go to the bank/store to put a lousy $11.99 on it to pay an important bill, you should really just have it deposited into a free account. poo poo, isn't' Google Wallet completely free and allows you to make Mastercard backed transactions?
It is normally the wealthier people that have the time/inclination/know-how to seek out better value financial products while the poor have every last cent sucked away by predatory financial products and services.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You're not wrong, but a lot of the people who have opted out of traditional banking were really forced out by banks that trick people into things like BS overdraft protection. These are pretty bad decisions but just imagine raising a kid on two part time jobs with no checking account because you were blacklisted for a mistake you made years ago. If you've only lived hand to mouth, the obvious path isn't really so obvious.

Back to making GBS threads on retail managers in new Chevy Tahoes please.

e: f,b

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cowofwar posted:

It is normally the wealthier people that have the time/inclination/know-how to seek out better value financial products while the poor have every last cent sucked away by predatory financial products and services.

https://www.rushcard.com/

gently caress Russell Simmons forever

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: :eyepop:

Oh I get WHY it happens. Just saying it's still bad with money to not do it. Doubly so to have it and not do it on purpose.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Do you realize that millions of people cannot get a regular "free" bank account even if they want one? Reasons for this range from bad credit to being blacklisted for previous account closures to being in the US undocumented/illegally. There are entire empires of services clamoring to nickel and dime the "unbanked", these fee-based debit cards for people paid in cash chief among them.

Google Wallet is entirely free to use - as long as you have a checking account. Otherwise it's a 3% transfer fee to fund.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

EugeneJ posted:

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/tips/prepaid/russell-simmons-suze-orman-fight/

RushCard Annual Costs:

Minimum* Annual Cost: $191.40
Expected** Annual Cost: $358.20

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Honestly, the US should just go through with Elizabeth Warren's plan of turning the Postal Service into a check cashing, money storing service. In Switzerland this is essentially the norm, and even when a very tiny percentage of the people here used plastic to pay for anything almost 100% of the people carried their "Post Card" which was just a debit card linked directly to their Post Account. You either cashed your checks and got cash at the Post Office, or just had the money deposited right into the account. No overdraft fees, no really advanced investment options (although eventually Die Post eventually became Post Finance and became a really bank in 2013), just a place that holds your cash.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Honestly, the US should just go through with Elizabeth Warren's plan of turning the Postal Service into a check cashing, money storing service. In Switzerland this is essentially the norm, and even when a very tiny percentage of the people here used plastic to pay for anything almost 100% of the people carried their "Post Card" which was just a debit card linked directly to their Post Account. You either cashed your checks and got cash at the Post Office, or just had the money deposited right into the account. No overdraft fees, no really advanced investment options (although eventually Die Post eventually became Post Finance and became a really bank in 2013), just a place that holds your cash.

In Japan the post office is essentially a bank. Works pretty well. Some branches are even open on Sunday?!

roflcopter thief
Nov 22, 2007
¿por que no te callas?

Rudager posted:

Except he's buying some every month so his average cost price is going to go up along the way as well.
I think the best part is how he's buying physical bullion. Then again, the concept of an ETF is obviously light-years beyond this guy.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Jastiger posted:

PRO INSURANCE TIP: Most insurance companies won't insure a salvage vehicle, or if they do, they charge you MORE for it.

I can't even begin to tell you how wrong this is.

Folly
May 26, 2010

DJCobol posted:

I can't even begin to tell you how wrong this is.

What kind of insurance are we talking about?

I bet you're right that they're required to offer liability coverage in every state regardless of the type of title. But collision and comprehensive could go a lot of ways, given that the value of the vehicle won't be as easy to establish. But hopefully, if you're buying a salvage titled vehicle, you weren't planning on needing those anyhow.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
e: oh I stole this from the YNAB thread I thought it was from GBS.

Teeter posted:

Probably easier than buying 365 pairs of underwear in bulk.

https://meundies.com/products/The-365-Pack

Must be nice to never wash underwear, ever. Wear it once and burn it.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 30, 2015

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

That actually doesn't seem like a bad deal for someone who can't get a basic checking account. $4 up front and $8 month gets you a serviceable bank account substitute offering a debit card and a network of free ATMs. What am I missing?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Knyteguy posted:

e: oh I stole this from the YNAB thread I thought it was from GBS.

I have underarmour underwear that is over 10 years old. I find it hard to believe that anyone would buy this.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Folly posted:

What kind of insurance are we talking about?

I bet you're right that they're required to offer liability coverage in every state regardless of the type of title. But collision and comprehensive could go a lot of ways, given that the value of the vehicle won't be as easy to establish. But hopefully, if you're buying a salvage titled vehicle, you weren't planning on needing those anyhow.

My last 2 cars have been salvage title cars, and I've had 5 insurance carriers (State Farm, Progressive, Nationwide, Liberty Mutual, & Geico) in 2 different states and none of them have batted an eye at either comprehensive or full coverage insurance.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TLG James posted:

I have underarmour underwear that is over 10 years old. I find it hard to believe that anyone would buy this.

I worked at a restaurant with this super goony fat guy who didn't wash and rewear underwear.
He said he was allergic to detergent or something (but it wasn't bad for normal clothes) and had to wear and toss. It was too expensive to do every day, so he'd go 2-3 days in between replacements.
I mean, you can hand wash with Woolite or something, right?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I mean if you have that big of a problem, a Dermotologist would recommend a specific brand you can use I'm sure.

Or just throw them in the washer with a capful of bleach and nothing else.

EDIT: Actually, loving just going through a hot wash cycle is preferable really.

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
You can buy detergent specifically for babies that is free of absolutely any harsh chemicals so they don't get rashes. My wife and I figured out pretty quickly that stuff like ALL Free & Clear was essentially the same thing for half the price. But yeah, even just dipping them in boiling water for 30 seconds would be preferable to throwing them away and buying new ones (after wearing them for 3 days straight :barf:)

• Locked thread