Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I just set my dining room to be engraved and went to do something else, and when I check in on it the entire thing is made up of random ASCII symbols rather than the nice engraved stone tile.

Using the newest LNP with the spacefox tileset. Please tell me there's a fix and that this is a known problem with 40.24 or something. Changing to a different tileset didn't help.

VDay fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I think there's a "hide engravings" designation. In one of the inits there's a toggle for whether engravings start hidden or not. They must forgotten to switch it on.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Go to your init.txt and change [ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:NO] to YES.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yup that seems to have been it, thanks guys.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
So I have 113 built bedrooms with a bed/door. Additionally I have a barracks with 8 beds. I only have 74 dwarves. Why are some dwarves refusing to claim one of the dozens of open rooms, or even the barracks beds, and just sleeping on the floor? Never seen this happen before. It's not a big deal, I'm just wondering what's up.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Are they hunters? Are they military? I think there might be a "sleep in room/don't sleep in room" order for the military and hunters are weird in various ways.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I have military dwarves set to sleep in the barracks (and they do), but the "sleep on the floor" dwarves are anything. Only two of them are hunters and they have beds.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Well you can "Q" and cursor around to see which dwarves have claimed which beds, going on the theory of multiple rooms claimed per dwarf. There's probably a better explanation though... something about dwarves being forbidden from claiming a room(bed) for some reason.

And if you do happen to find duplicates, just (f)ree bed to reset the room and let them claim it again. You might even just free all the beds and see what happens as they reclaim their rooms organically.

Malcolm fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 30, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Are they sleeping on the floor in a designated dormitory that just doesn't have any beds in it?

I know there have been issues where dwarves would just sleep in the nearest available sleeping place and ignore the fact they had rooms, maybe it's something like that?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Are those 74 dwarves including children? Those fuckers claim rooms.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
While it seems the military interface is unchanged since df2012, there now exist different problems with getting dwarfs to equip and use uniform items.

That military setup tutorial is going to have to wait 'til I figure out why my farmer, who has never had any hauling duties, woodcutting, or military service, keeps running around with a battle axe and my archers train everything super slow. Melee dwarfs are easy as pie, at least (when their weapons are not being stolen by other dwarfs). It feels like the rate of experience gain for drills and sparring has gone up considerably since the last major release: you can turn brand new recruits into proficient weapon and armour users within a few months just by having them train together.

Once the uniform woes are figured out, I will set out to see if we can convince marksdwarves to use axes again.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Dwarves have no multiple rooms claimed. There's literally 40+ designated bedrooms doing just nothing, claimed by nobody and still dwarves are choosing to sleep on the floor on a z-level that has no bedrooms, no barracks, no hospital and no dormitory.

It's really weird. I guess I'm just going to chalk it up to a bug because it's not a super big deal, just really odd.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Dwarves have no multiple rooms claimed. There's literally 40+ designated bedrooms doing just nothing, claimed by nobody and still dwarves are choosing to sleep on the floor on a z-level that has no bedrooms, no barracks, no hospital and no dormitory.
Are they assigned to a Burrow? Or, somewhat equivalently, is there a military alert in-effect?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I've said it before - letting dwarves choose what they're wielding and wearing always ends poorly. Partial matches=true and ambiguous criteria make for a wiiiiiide range of interpretations for "metal armor".

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

It's really weird. I guess I'm just going to chalk it up to a bug because it's not a super big deal, just really odd.

Manually assign them to a specific dwarf?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
The caravan just arrived and I tried to move my fancy cuisine to the depot to trade. But on the depot screen no prepared meals appear for trading! In fact, no foodstuffs of any kind. Wow, I think, is this a new feature in 40.24 where after you sell 10K worth of rapidly spoiling fish & egg roasts the mountainhome gets tired of your crap and refuses to take it next year? Maybe it's a bug, or a new plugin in DFHack?

Mandates: Export of barrels Prohibited

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

They don't have a category. Select the "literally loving everything" category and filter down to biscuits or roasts or whatever it is you've been baking. Totems and mugs suffer from the same thing when they're not stored in bins.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Easier method: search for, "prep", select as many as desired

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I did both those. The root of the problem is hidden behind the spoiler in my post, I wasn't asking for help, just posting a somewhat interesting event that looked like a bug but really wasn't.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah that one gets me all the time, too.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

My old computer could barely reach 20 FPS when running a 100-year old fort with a population of 120 dwarves. I just opened the same fort on this new computer and it had no problems maintaining a steady 100 FPS :getin:

Now I just have to wait for Toady to calm down with his massive feature spree before I get invested in fortin' again :sigh:

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Neurion posted:

My old computer could barely reach 20 FPS when running a 100-year old fort with a population of 120 dwarves. I just opened the same fort on this new computer and it had no problems maintaining a steady 100 FPS :getin:

Now I just have to wait for Toady to calm down with his massive feature spree before I get invested in fortin' again :sigh:

If I were a betting man I'm guessing the "Tavern and Temple" features kick he is on right now is the start of a two year development cycle that ends with the workshops we currently know and love getting removed for "Locations" similar to zones that need to be stocked with built items and furniture before that "Location" can be used.

Get the starter that's out now and go to town!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grevlek posted:

If I were a betting man I'm guessing the "Tavern and Temple" features kick he is on right now is the start of a two year development cycle that ends with the workshops we currently know and love getting removed for "Locations" similar to zones that need to be stocked with built items and furniture before that "Location" can be used.

Get the starter that's out now and go to town!

Everyone knows the only thing better than the military interface is figuring out how to set up a hospital, so I can't wait for DF2016.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Is there a way to not have my dwarves eat seeds? I have them set to not be cooked with in the Kitchen status menu, and have like 200 lavish roasts just sitting there but my idiot dwarves keep eating all the god drat seeds.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I tried to have a dwarf bring a cage with an animal in it to the trade depot, instead he dumps the cave crocodile out of the cage and drags the empty cage up to sell. Stupid bastard got both of his legs bitten off and slowly bleeds to death.

Meanwhile, the worthless peasant Urist McSteveIrwin wrestles the poo poo out of the cave crocodile and somehow snaps its neck and only suffers minor bruises.

I love this game sometimes :allears:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Mystery Prize posted:

I tried to have a dwarf bring a cage with an animal in it to the trade depot, instead he dumps the cave crocodile out of the cage and drags the empty cage up to sell. Stupid bastard got both of his legs bitten off and slowly bleeds to death.

Meanwhile, the worthless peasant Urist McSteveIrwin wrestles the poo poo out of the cave crocodile and somehow snaps its neck and only suffers minor bruises.

I love this game sometimes :allears:

Glad to know some things never change.

http://threepanelsoul.com/2008/05/12/on-trade-goods/

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
My clever plan to break the first small goblin siege by stationing an impromptu hunter squad on the walls surrounding my surface entrance just rapidly went to poo poo. They massacred the first goblin squad with a shower of copper bolts, but ran out of ammo before finishing the second squad. Then, instead of running to get more bolts, they jumped off the walls. Half of them fell short and promptly drowned in the moat, the other half broke their legs in the fall before narrowly beating the remaining goblins in a cripple-fight :iit:

Time to draft more :airquote: volunteers :airquote: and add an outer layer of fortifications to my walls.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Shameful apricot-lover Herbalist status: scared by kobold when picking fruit, kicked over the stepladder scrambling up and remained stuck in tree for a few weeks until relieved by the woodcutter

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trees are dangerous and should be beds instead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I see the story-generation aspect of Dwarf Fortress still works.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I had an elven acolyte visit (modified it to have trading responsibilities) and poked at it with gui/gm-editor for kicks.

He was a Grandmaster Liar and Flatterer. :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Getting back into this after a while (last time I played TWBT was sort of limping along and we were still waiting for dfhack to recover fully from 0.40). What's the best tutorial to go through and refresh everything? Anything new for DF2015?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148180.0 posted:

Now it begins! You may have thought we were giving up, or just fixing bugs for the rest of the foreseeable future. Well, we're back with more content full of meticulously researched detail! Musical instruments and procedurally-generated art forms are next. Then tabletop games for your dwarves to play! Then artifacts and magic! I would say that you were being spoiled with all this extra junk, but you come through with generosity every time! All you have to do is trust us, and you will be rewarded with ten-fold-fun!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Weaponsmith cancels Forge Adamantine Battle Axe: interrupted by Dungeons & Dragons.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is an rng table. It menaces with spikes of gently caress you and pain.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Magic? That should be interesting. Hopefully it'll be suitably Toady-esque in implementation and details.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No no, it's Magic, as in the gathering.

Completely randomized.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

SynthOrange posted:

No no, it's Magic, as in the gathering.

Completely randomized.

Insert WotC R&D department joke here.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

How to win at hunting:

1.) order 10 barrels of giant cave spider venom from back home
2.) dunk ye metal bolts into spider juice
3.) behold ye deer fall over in paralysis
4.) unleash ye expensive elven import hunting jaguars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Wait, we can use venom now?