Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I played SoM after playing Seiken Densetsu 3 and was really annoyed at the combat and run system in SoM so I stopped playing it. Much later I went through the whole game and was still really annoyed at the combat, but in addition to not liking the charging system for attacks I also learned that the best way to use spells is unintuitive spell chaining that also just feels really dumb when you're doing it.

Also as a child I remember seeing people say the story was one of the best things about SoM and the time I actually did beat the whole thing I found the story extremely uninteresting. I couldn't really give a poo poo about any of the characters and the whole game just felt like walking through dungeons and not really actually accomplishing anything until the game just ends. Like I think it's cool and all that it led to SD3 which I actually like but I just didn't think it was particularly fun. I wouldn't even mind the story at all since I think RPGs in general have dumb pointless plots, but I really didn't like the combat in SoM (and by extension Secret of Evermore). Having to hold a button as 8 bars fill up one at a time to use your charged normal attack seems just terrible to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Anyone care to recommend a playthrough of Lords of the Fallen to watch? I don't think I want to play it myself but I'd like to have an idea of what the game is like before Bonfireside Chat gets to it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

HMS Boromir posted:

Anyone care to recommend a playthrough of Lords of the Fallen to watch? I don't think I want to play it myself but I'd like to have an idea of what the game is like before Bonfireside Chat gets to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xXw94OJ54M

If you care about spoilers, don't watch it obviously.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ultima66 posted:

I played SoM after playing Seiken Densetsu 3 and was really annoyed at the combat and run system in SoM so I stopped playing it. Much later I went through the whole game and was still really annoyed at the combat, but in addition to not liking the charging system for attacks I also learned that the best way to use spells is unintuitive spell chaining that also just feels really dumb when you're doing it.

Also as a child I remember seeing people say the story was one of the best things about SoM and the time I actually did beat the whole thing I found the story extremely uninteresting. I couldn't really give a poo poo about any of the characters and the whole game just felt like walking through dungeons and not really actually accomplishing anything until the game just ends. Like I think it's cool and all that it led to SD3 which I actually like but I just didn't think it was particularly fun. I wouldn't even mind the story at all since I think RPGs in general have dumb pointless plots, but I really didn't like the combat in SoM (and by extension Secret of Evermore). Having to hold a button as 8 bars fill up one at a time to use your charged normal attack seems just terrible to me.

Somewhere between SD3 and Secret of Mana is an incredible game. Like SD3's customizable party/stats and class system and stuff with Secret of Mana's slightly less snap-to-grid combat and everybody getting more spells sooner (my biggest issue with SD3 is that everybody is boring until their 2nd job and a majority of them are boring until their 3rd, at which point the game is basically over). And of course three-player compatibility, which for some reason SD3 didn't have.

Alas,

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I can't wait to hear IT's thoughts on this.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/valve-s-economist-may-become-greece-s-new-finance-minister-fear-the-hat-event-horizon

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

On one of the WOFF episodes, one of the hosts claimed that, while he couldn't make a good argument whether dear esther was a game, he could certainly make a good argument that it's a better game than most sandboxes.

Did you ever walk us through that reasoning, and if so what episode?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
CSGO and Dota are still running wild in terms of hats.

TF2 hats on the other hand are very much on the decline. It's why I don't pay nearly as much for tf2 stuff, especially unusuals, anymore. Unusuals have fallen off precipitously, the portent foretold in the early days of trading that unusuals would become so common as to lose value has finally started to come to pass. TF2 has largely moved on to a "smaller, more" mindset rather than "that one big unusual" one. Low-end stuff like basic hats, stranges, killstreak items, etc still sell relatively consistently, while top-tier unusuals and rarities have become incredibly hard sells.

Adding lots of new effects for unusuals definitely harmed their value, too. When it was just "on fire, or glowing, or surrounded by flies" it was easy to keep track of what and how much. Now you've got like 30 different halloween effects, a circling duck unusual effect, robot unusual effects, and other weird limited-time effects making everything all weird.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 27, 2015

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

When it was just "on fire, or glowing, or surrounded by flies" it was easy to keep track of what and how much. Now you've got like 30 different halloween effects, a circling duck unusual effect, robot unusual effects, and other weird limited-time effects making everything all weird.

Video Games!

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

I remember reading his blog ages ago and thinking it was supprisingly lefty, nice for him

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

double nine posted:

On one of the WOFF episodes, one of the hosts claimed that, while he couldn't make a good argument whether dear esther was a game, he could certainly make a good argument that it's a better game than most sandboxes.

Did you ever walk us through that reasoning, and if so what episode?

I don't remember saying that so I'm not sure it was me. I've talked about gameness being a scale rather than a binary before and how Dear Esther is a game but is really close to the narrative/poetry end of the spectrum. I also don't like sandbox games much. :iiam:

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
That doesn't sound like something I would say. I think Dear Esther is a fantastic game that moved me emotionally, but there's nothing to be gained from making that comparison. They're doing very different things.

If it was me, then it's likely that I found a very inarticulate way to say "The experience of playing Dear Esther has stuck with me more than most open world games I've played."

That said, I enjoy a good open world game, so :iiam:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
"Game" is a family resemblance concept anyway.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Vosgian Beast posted:

"Game" is a family resemblance concept anyway.

I'm of the institutional theory. If it's presented as a game, and accepted by at least some of its audience as a game, it's a game. It's kind of silly to need to further dissect whether it's a game from there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I remember reading a fake Toad interview in a game magazine, I don't know if it was in EGM but then that begs the question of "why did multiple magazines conduct fake interviews with Toad?" All I remember is that Toad professed to being a strict carnivore, since he is a vegetable and all.

Also the entire Super Mario Bros movie is on Youtube, but I've not been brave drunk enough to sit down and watch it since discovering. Also if we're getting Benedict Cumberbatch as Waluigi in the sequel, who's Wario?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Toad is canonically Mojo Nixon, who if you don't have your store could use some fixin'.

Also nice Lynchian crossfade in the spoilers section of the Twin Peaks rewatch.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Al! posted:

I'm of the institutional theory. If it's presented as a game, and accepted by at least some of its audience as a game, it's a game. It's kind of silly to need to further dissect whether it's a game from there.

Woah, we're never gonna No True Scotsman ourselves into gamergate nirvana with that attitude!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Also the entire Super Mario Bros movie is on Youtube, but I've not been brave drunk enough to sit down and watch it since discovering.
If you can get through more than about 20 minutes of that, you're more tolerant of boring-rear end garbage than I am. I saw that butt of a movie in the cinemas and it might have been the first time I left a movie with that "I wish I liked that" feeling.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

The Super Mario Bros. Movie rules actually.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Mario Bros. Movie is not a good film but it's definitely not boring or unwatchable so I don't really understand that sentiment. I actually think it's worth watching at least once just because it's so loving weird. I will never forget that movie, ever.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

I enjoy it, it's fun and funny and camp. I also love that the directors clearly had their own ideas for a movie and then shoehorned them into a Mario movie.

Edit: by extension, I love how this generated this weird dynamic of including so many elements of the games but distorting them so much that they're no longer what they represent. Its a fascinating adaptation for sure.

forpush fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 29, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Also for years I couldn't get John Leguizamo and Jon Lovitz untangled in my head, so whenever people talked about the Mario Bros movie I would look at Lovitz and think "drat, Luigi really let himself go"

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

fruitpunch posted:

I enjoy it, it's fun and funny and camp. I also love that the directors clearly had their own ideas for a movie and then shoehorned them into a Mario movie.

Edit: by extension, I love how this generated this weird dynamic of including so many elements of the games but distorting them so much that they're no longer what they represent. Its a fascinating adaptation for sure.

It's also worth considering the clear disdain they had for it. It's exactly what you get when you make a movie about "some dumb poo poo my kid is into".

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Mario Mario and Luigi Mario

I like that movie.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

The Mario Bros. Movie is not a good film but it's definitely not boring or unwatchable so I don't really understand that sentiment. I actually think it's worth watching at least once just because it's so loving weird.
Everything until they finally get into the "Mushroom Kingdom" or whatever they call it is stone-cold boring as poo poo. It's not even lovely in a weird way, it's just terrible. I remember the stuff after that being dumb in at least an interesting way, but on rewatch I just couldn't make it through the chest-high garbage that starts the movie.

I def. recommend at least trying to watch it once though.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Mario Mario and Luigi Mario

I like that movie.

"No woman can resist a Mario" - Mario, Super Mario Bros.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Man, I decided to look up Samantha Mathis and see what she's been doing since Super Mario Bros. She apparently managed to one-up that for being in poo poo movies - she was in Atlas Shrugged Part 2: The Free Market Already Spoke Last Time But gently caress Them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Randallteal posted:

"No woman can resist a Mario" - Mario, Super Mario Bros.

Big Bertha down at the Boom Boom Bar!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Captain Invictus posted:

Big Bertha down at the Boom Boom Bar!

Super Mario Bros. has a lot of Dennis Hopper chewing scenery and being a weirdo, so it can't be all bad.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 29, 2015

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Edit: Double post

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fruitpunch posted:

Exactly this. Its a perfect realisation of someone being told all the main aspects that make up the series and then being asked to make them into a film with no context. Don't get me wrong, it's a terrible movie but as a fan of the series it's almost required viewing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If trainwrecks can simultaneously be masterpieces, then Super Mario Bros is a masterpiece on another level.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
The Mario Bros. movie is actually a fascinating case study on how not to make a movie. The director was a husband and wife team who constantly fought and were control freaks with bad communication skills. At some point I believe the studio locked the out of the editing room.

Hopkins and Leguizamos were reported drunk as skunks most of the time, culiminating in Hopkins injuring Leguizamos in a car scene. Hopkins said in an interview that the movie was the thing he regretted most.

It cost ~40 million to make and opened at ~8 million, eventually making ~20 million. Nintendo has yet to license another film.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
At least Troll 2 has redeeming qualities and didn't cost 40 million. And "Best Worst Movie" is a really amazingly compelling documentary.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

coyo7e posted:

At least Troll 2 has redeeming qualities and didn't cost 40 million. And "Best Worst Movie" is a really amazingly compelling documentary.

Apparently the Blu-Ray release of the film has an hour-long documentary on the production too, which I would love to see.

Looking up the directors I never knew they were the Max Headroom people. Crazy!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Ulta posted:

The Mario Bros. movie is actually a fascinating case study on how not to make a movie. The director was a husband and wife team who constantly fought and were control freaks with bad communication skills. At some point I believe the studio locked the out of the editing room.

Hopkins and Leguizamos were reported drunk as skunks most of the time, culiminating in Hopkins injuring Leguizamos in a car scene. Hopkins said in an interview that the movie was the thing he regretted most.

It cost ~40 million to make and opened at ~8 million, eventually making ~20 million. Nintendo has yet to license another film.

Actually, a relevant read: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/interview_rocky_morton_on_the_chaos_of_directing_the_super_mario_bros_movie

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hakkesshu posted:

The Mario Bros. Movie is not a good film but it's definitely not boring or unwatchable so I don't really understand that sentiment. I actually think it's worth watching at least once just because it's so loving weird. I will never forget that movie, ever.

this is a good post, which i agree with, tremendously!!!!

super mario bros is a pretty great bad movie and is infinitely better than basically every other videogame movie by dint of the fact that it isn't incredibly dull in addition to being a bad film by critical standards (a category which encompasses every videogame film to date)

mortal kombat annihilation is also fun because it looks exactly how you'd expect a thousand dollar budget fan film sequel to mortal kombat would look

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Now that it's been revealed that Chris has never seen the Mario Bros movie, I think they are obligated to record them all watching it, or at least Chris and someone else, for the reactions of someone going in blind. It should be great.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zombies' Downfall posted:

super mario bros is a pretty great bad movie and is infinitely better than basically every other videogame movie by dint of the fact that it isn't incredibly dull...

Only after they get to the kingdom. That opening chunk is so drat slow.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I listened to the DS retrospective episode of Retronauts last night and oh man that was a great handheld. That one person was annoying as hell. Like when the Zelda games were brought up near the end she just butts in with "THEY ARE BAD" and that's the extent of her criticism. One of the other dudes was like "phantom hourglass was OK..." "No, it was awful!"

And then one of the other dudes called Beyonce a fake gamer girl because rhythm heaven was too hard. Man, rhythm heaven ain't that hard. I've shown it to plenty of non gaming buddies of mine and they all loved it and definitely beat more than the first few levels.

Yeesh. Anyway, WOFF should do a DS episode, since they are the other retrocast I know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Stan Taylor posted:

I listened to the DS retrospective episode of Retronauts last night and oh man that was a great handheld. That one person was annoying as hell. Like when the Zelda games were brought up near the end she just butts in with "THEY ARE BAD" and that's the extent of her criticism. One of the other dudes was like "phantom hourglass was OK..." "No, it was awful!"

The truth hurts sometimes. Going back to the same dungeon repeatedly with the payoff being "oh boy now I can get to the bottom of this shithole in half the time" blew rear end.

• Locked thread