Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah the cliff hanger made you realize how much deep poo poo Gotham is in

I'm so glad I started reading Batman and Batman Eternal. I think both books have been incredibly strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So Batman #38

I'm sorry but the new reveal about the Joker is incredibly stupid. I'm also tired of Gotham being in the brink of destruction every third day.

Hell of a work by Capullo though.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I caught up on the Joker arc on a whim and I have to say I'm very disapionted they used time travel to steal my idea to make the Joker an immortal driven insane by living to long that I had when I was fourteen so Batman could use his bat-wolverine claws on him and not break the no kill rule. They could have killed Hitler instead.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So Batman #38

I'm sorry but the new reveal about the Joker is incredibly stupid. I'm also tired of Gotham being in the brink of destruction every third day.

Hell of a work by Capullo though.

Sorry it wasn't realistic enough for you.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Senor Candle posted:

Sorry it wasn't realistic enough for you.

Is less about being realisti and more about the notion of Gotham being threatened has become stale under Snyder. We've had the Owls, Joker's rampage on DOTF, Zero Year, whatever mess is happening on Eternal.

That while not a lot, is pretty much once a year that combined with Snyder knack for long stories makes it feel like is happening one after other (that is how the reader is getting the stories)

Add that explaining Joker's constant cheating of death is unnecesary and takes away part of what is so appealing of the character: Just a mysterious twisted and sick guy that raises havoc because it amuse him (Is like they suddenly revealed that Bruce's intelligence is a superpower or something)

The fact Snyder's hinting for finally revealing Joker's true origin doesn't fills me with confidence either.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that DC is probably not going to make the Joker an immortal. I'd wait until it actually plays out before you make a judgement on that.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
This is probably one of Snyder's shorter stories actually, thanks to Convergence giving him a deadline of March while Endgame began in October.

Snyder already said in an interview with CBR that this would definitely be his last Joker story and there are rumors floating about that he might either kill off Joker or Alfred. Apparently he wanted to kill off Alfred once, but because Damian's death happened at the same time it'd be emotional overkill.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Senor Candle posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that DC is probably not going to make the Joker an immortal. I'd wait until it actually plays out before you make a judgement on that.

At this point I believe DC willing to do anything. Specially with the current direction the Batman offices have.

Hopefully this whole thing will be a fake out at best, forgotten at worst but in the meantime it has soured me on Endgame.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

At this point I believe DC willing to do anything. Specially with the current direction the Batman offices have.

Hopefully this whole thing will be a fake out at best, forgotten at worst but in the meantime it has soured me on Endgame.

I'm enjoying it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd be totally satisfied if the "the Joker is literally the devil" thing from the first issue ended up being true. Cause he basically is anyway.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I like that Snyder has been the first writer to really shake up the established Batman mythos. Court Of Owls introduced a totally new and interesting concept to Gotham, undercutting Batman's hold on the city. Death Of The Family was a nice swansong to the Dark Knight-inspired Joker. Zero Year turned the usual origin story on its head. Now Endgame is totally rewriting The Joker's origins and is basically turning the main Batman title into a horror comic. Regardless of what happens in the end, the building up of the Joker's legend - the photos stretching back in time, the weird fringe science stuff about immortality - has been genuinely inventive and hella creepy, especially for a mainstream superhero book. You can even see the horror creeping into the traditional superhero story across Capullo's covers for Endgame so far.

I actually think it's a better horror comic than Wytches.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

tenniseveryone posted:

I like that Snyder has been the first writer to really shake up the established Batman mythos. Court Of Owls introduced a totally new and interesting concept to Gotham, undercutting Batman's hold on the city. Death Of The Family was a nice swansong to the Dark Knight-inspired Joker. Zero Year turned the usual origin story on its head. Now Endgame is totally rewriting The Joker's origins and is basically turning the main Batman title into a horror comic. Regardless of what happens in the end, the building up of the Joker's legend - the photos stretching back in time, the weird fringe science stuff about immortality - has been genuinely inventive and hella creepy, especially for a mainstream superhero book. You can even see the horror creeping into the traditional superhero story across Capullo's covers for Endgame so far.

I actually think it's a better horror comic than Wytches.

Court of Owls being a significant change to the mythos is questionable though. After being primed as the new hot thing it just vanished into obscurity (even after their Villians month issue talked about an even more powerful Talon)

The fact Snyder has just choose to bring them back now it also underscores their influence since they were nowhere to be seen during Zero Year and while there's a chance they're involved on Eternal, they've been absent from any major event contradicting their own existance.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Court of Owls being a significant change to the mythos is questionable though. After being primed as the new hot thing it just vanished into obscurity (even after their Villians month issue talked about an even more powerful Talon)

The fact Snyder has just choose to bring them back now it also underscores their influence since they were nowhere to be seen during Zero Year and while there's a chance they're involved on Eternal, they've been absent from any major event contradicting their own existance.

Why would they be? The storyline ended with them being forced back into the shadows. They should not have been seen in Zero Year as they always pulled the strings from the background. This is showing how desperate he is as he is going to them, and risking them gaining power again.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Why would they be? The storyline ended with them being forced back into the shadows. They should not have been seen in Zero Year as they always pulled the strings from the background. This is showing how desperate he is as he is going to them, and risking them gaining power again.

The original idea behind them is that they were the owners of Gotham and so nothing happened on it if they won't allow it. But the concept itself was never elaborated upon and once you try to fit them into the larger Gotham mythos it doesn't make sense.

How is that the Penguin thought they were a myth? Why they allow all the Rogues Gallery run free when they put on jeopardy their operations or could hire them as enforcers? They're supposedly inmensaly powerful and Bruce could mess their recruitment of Dick by chance? And so on.

I'm guessing that Snyder will explain why the Court never made a move against the Joker on Endgame but still the concept is flawed since inception.

The court should've gotten at least a cameo on Zero Year since being so powerful they couldn't be inactive towards Nygma or the Red Hood gang actions.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The original idea behind them is that they were the owners of Gotham and so nothing happened on it if they won't allow it. But the concept itself was never elaborated upon and once you try to fit them into the larger Gotham mythos it doesn't make sense.

How is that the Penguin thought they were a myth? Why they allow all the Rogues Gallery run free when they put on jeopardy their operations or could hire them as enforcers? They're supposedly inmensaly powerful and Bruce could mess their recruitment of Dick by chance? And so on.

I'm guessing that Snyder will explain why the Court never made a move against the Joker on Endgame but still the concept is flawed since inception.

The court should've gotten at least a cameo on Zero Year since being so powerful they couldn't be inactive towards Nygma or the Red Hood gang actions.

I am pretty sure they did say they not mind the rogues gallery as it kept Batman busy and he could not focus on them. Why would they hire them as enforcers when they had their own. As for Year Zero we do not know what they were doing as mentioned before they liked to do thing behind the scenes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure they did say they not mind the rogues gallery as it kept Batman busy and he could not focus on them. Why would they hire them as enforcers when they had their own. As for Year Zero we do not know what they were doing as mentioned before they liked to do thing behind the scenes.

Problem is that we actually never saw the Talons do something. We're only told of the badass they are but during Night of Owls they're just glorified punching bags while Dick's ancestor makes one wonder why they didn't awake the Talons before. Or hell, why keep using the Circus to draft new talons.

I guess my main issue with the whole concept is that we're only told the court is a force to be reckoned with but we don't see it.

If Snyder would've bother to gradually develop the concept over time then I'm sure it would've kicked off (See at Johns, he spent around five years to build the emotional spectrum and now is inherent to the GL Mythos as whole) but he skipped the devolpment delivering a half cooked idea that very few care about.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm sure him tripping the Scarecrow juice in the first Endgame issue wasn't a non sequitur, folks.

e: I'd say "Imagine if he was institutionalized after attacking the League while hallucinating, and he's just projecting the Joker on to this poor orderly", but we've seen him transform in Arkham Manor.

e: It all being a dream/hallucination would be terrible. I think the best thing would for the Joker's history, how much is up to residual Scarecrow toxin to be left entirely unclear.

lotus circle posted:

Court of Owls is probably Snyder's most well received new 52 storyline overall. If he leaves any legacy behind as a writer, I'd say Black Mirror and Court of Owls are going to be the stories he's most remembered for.

I really hope Zero Year catches on.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 30, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Considering they're already making an animated movie with the Court involved and the first volume of Batman that introduces them is still selling over a thousand copies every month, I would hardly say they've fallen into obscurity. They're probably one of most recognizable New 52 villain creations and additions to the mythos. Court of Owls is probably Snyder's most well received new 52 storyline overall. If he leaves any legacy behind as a writer, I'd say Black Mirror and Court of Owls are going to be the stories he's most remembered for.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lotus circle posted:

Considering they're already making an animated movie with the Court involved and the first volume of Batman that introduces them is still selling over a thousand copies every month, I would hardly say they've fallen into obscurity. They're probably one of most recognizable New 52 villain creations and additions to the mythos. Court of Owls is probably Snyder's most well received new 52 storyline overall. If he leaves any legacy behind as a writer, I'd say Black Mirror and Court of Owls are going to be the stories he's most remembered for.

They aren't the focus on the animated movie though, Damian vs Bruce is what they keep advertising.

In the end you might be right, I just clasify things as influencial and relevant when they're picked up/referenced by authors outside of the original creator's circle.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It does seem a little hard to believe that the court would just sit back and watch Gotham turn into Lord of the Flies but ultimately it's the question of "where is Hawkeye during winter soldier". The answer to both is "the story they wanted to tell didn't need them".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No-one reading Gotham Academy? :saddowns: I thought this week's issue was really cool, and had a great cliffhanger ending.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Me! I am!

One of the reasons I'm sticking to Arkham Manor is to find out more about Olive's mom.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Me! I am!

One of the reasons I'm sticking to Arkham Manor is to find out more about Olive's mom.

gently caress! Do you need to read both books to get the whole story? Because I'm only reading Academy. Though that might have made Croc's appearance much more shocking and thus much cooler, I suppose.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

No-one reading Gotham Academy? :saddowns: I thought this week's issue was really cool, and had a great cliffhanger ending.

I am.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

gently caress! Do you need to read both books to get the whole story? Because I'm only reading Academy. Though that might have made Croc's appearance much more shocking and thus much cooler, I suppose.

I'm guessing Academy will fill you in. She was called 'Calamity' and did some bad stuff. That's all it's told us.
I'd probably have dropped it last issue if it wasn't just ending in a few months.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm also diggin' Academy's populating the school with minor characters from various other versions of the Bat-franchise, like Aunt Harriet, and Simon Trent. Only one I'm torn with is Bookworm as the librarian. Mostly because I can't see this book having him steal a Shakespeare manuscript from the Gotham Museum of Modern Playwrights in an evil bookmobile or something else suitably 1966.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Gaz-L posted:

No you don't. Her name is Sybil Silverlock and she's supposedly a magical meta called Calamity, though the earthquake put her into a coma so she's not actively around. Olive mentions her mom was in Arkham Asylum in issue 3, though doesn't directly say as much. Croc will probably talk about her a bit in the next issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

lotus circle posted:

No you don't. Her name is Sybil Silverlock and she's supposedly a magical meta called Calamity, though the earthquake put her into a coma so she's not actively around. Olive mentions her mom was in Arkham Asylum in issue 3, though doesn't directly say as much. Croc will probably talk about her a bit in the next issue.

She was chased around by Jokered Clayface (Jokerface!) in issue 4 and wandered off grounds. I'm guessing soon to appear in Academy.

e:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 31, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

She was chased around by Jokered Clayface (Jokerface!) in issue 4 and wandered off grounds. I'm guessing soon to appear in Academy.

...Thank you for the 4 hours I will now spend getting a 6 year old Gaga song out of my head.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Oh I didn't know that, neat.

(I dropped Arkham Manor when I realized it was going to be a limited series anyway, better save it for trade.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ohhhh, that's why Bruce is hanging around the school and taking an interest in Olive.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I don't know much about the DC universe so I was hoping the character in Arkham Manor was related to Olive somehow.

I think that besides Snyder's Batman, Gotham Academy might actually be my favorite current DC book. I have really enjoyed it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Maps is officially the DC character find of 2014.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Maps is officially the DC character find of 2014.

The idea of this tiny Japanese tween as the bad cop still makes me giggle.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I really hope Zero Year catches on.
I don't think it'll ever overtake Year One. I adore Zero Year, but it also contradicts a lot of the stuff that people adore about the early years of Batman. Snyder's take--and something he's really been pushing since the New 52---is that Gotham is insane. It was never a normal city. I personally dig that take on things if only because it makes things less of a bummer. The common understanding of Batman's world via Miller and Loeb is that it was a place run by mobsters who Batman defeated and then killer clowns and crocodile men took over. The problem with that is that it's hard to not see Batman as a failure. I mean, if I was a normal citizen of Gotham, I would take mobsters over serial killer clowns. And by the nature of the never ending narrative, it's never really going to get better. It becomes less of a bummer when you diminish that level of escalation. Gotham has always been a hosed up crazy place. Batman is just the first time that one of those crazy things actually worked on the side of the average citizen.

As far as the Joker's origin, I think people are missing the point. It's doubtful that the story will end with the Joker actually definitively being immortal. It's about the Joker turning Batman's shtick on him. He's making us and Batman question if he's just some maniac or is more than a man like Batman forces people to question if he's just some man in a batsuit.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just think it's a ton better than The Court of Owls.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't think it'll ever overtake Year One. I adore Zero Year, but it also contradicts a lot of the stuff that people adore about the early years of Batman. Snyder's take--and something he's really been pushing since the New 52---is that Gotham is insane. It was never a normal city. I personally dig that take on things if only because it makes things less of a bummer. The common understanding of Batman's world via Miller and Loeb is that it was a place run by mobsters who Batman defeated and then killer clowns and crocodile men took over. The problem with that is that it's hard to not see Batman as a failure. I mean, if I was a normal citizen of Gotham, I would take mobsters over serial killer clowns. And by the nature of the never ending narrative, it's never really going to get better. It becomes less of a bummer when you diminish that level of escalation. Gotham has always been a hosed up crazy place. Batman is just the first time that one of those crazy things actually worked on the side of the average citizen.

As far as the Joker's origin, I think people are missing the point. It's doubtful that the story will end with the Joker actually definitively being immortal. It's about the Joker turning Batman's shtick on him. He's making us and Batman question if he's just some maniac or is more than a man like Batman forces people to question if he's just some man in a batsuit.

That is actually what I like about Miller's batman. Shame that he seems to have bought into the hype by his later works.

He shows batman for what he is, a mentally ill man who beats people up in a dumb costume.

He is potrayed as failure because that is what he is.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It depends on the context. Batman in the TV series is definitively not a failure.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I just think it's a ton better than The Court of Owls.
Well, yeah. Part of my problem with Court of Owls is that it starts off as an interesting looking who-done-it that turns into a low rent version of the Black Hand.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batman Inc Vol. 2 fans might like to know that Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham's Image book, 'Nameless' starts this week.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/nameless-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

lotus circle posted:

So Croc is not her father? I haven't read Arkham Manor and I had no idea both books were connected. I just thought Croc being there meant he was her father, I guess I was wrong.

• Locked thread