Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

I'm the guy in the bottom left licking his lips.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Alteisen posted:

His reaction is just so earnest when they tell him that 10 people where working on it.

He could have been told he won the lottery and I don't think he would have looked so excited/happy.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Azhais posted:

Puppy's first trip to the beach

That's a really pretty beach. Where is it?

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx
shhh lovebird wants to sleep

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Dove from Above posted:

That's a really pretty beach. Where is it?

With sand like that it's most likely Australia. The worst part is if it is Australia, then it's a pretty poo poo beach.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Alteisen posted:

Oh man I need to stop cutting onions at my PC.

His reaction is just so earnest when they tell him that 10 people where working on it.

It was the most british response as well. "'ow much did it cost?!"

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

IslamoNazi posted:

With sand like that it's most likely Australia. The worst part is if it is Australia, then it's a pretty poo poo beach.

Australia just has an abundance of beaches. Even the bad ones are nice.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Does anybody have any stories or pictures about service animals and their owners or service animals in training?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

ultrabindu posted:

Does anybody have any stories or pictures about service animals and their owners or service animals in training?

A tenuous excuse to post pug stories. I'll take it.

Hug a pug day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKt3zSeDwSA

quote:

A few weeks ago my husband, mother-in-law and I went to our local county fair here in San Diego (previously known as the "Del Mar Fair", it was a great day!). As we were getting ready to leave I saw something that I had never seen before. It was a Pug dog wearing its service harness walking along side a man in a wheel chair. What a loyal pet companion in such a small package.

I was shocked! I had never seen such a small dog as a Service Dog. I have since spent some time searching the net and found that it is really not that uncommon. Here are a few of the services that I have found that a Pug performs:

"I’m a brittle diabetic, and he alerts me when my glucose levels are in the extreme levels. He has prevented many hospital trips."

"…my sister is 10 years old with Asperger’s Syndrome (high functioning autism) and she has a pug as a service dog."

"Our much loved pug of 15 1/2 years was a therapy dog and brought smiles and laughter to the elderly in retirement homes for many years."

"Pugs are being used as hearing dogs with "Paws with a Cause" service dogs headquartered in southwestern Michigan."

"I have a pug that I trained as a service dog myself. Mine retrieves dropped objects and provides emotional support, as I have social anxiety disorder and lupus."

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7lAN1zno0w

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The job market is still rough for new graduates.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Teddybear posted:

The job market is still ruff for new graduates.

ftfy

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
A pit bull/dachshund mix

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jesus, that's a huge head. I hope its mom was the pit bull.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

RandomFerret posted:

Jesus, that's a huge head. I hope its mom was the pit bull.
I'm thinking a step-ladder would have been necessary for that.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Some fat birds

And a classic

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That bird wants to have a serious 'discussion' with the temperature. Knives and bats will be involved.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

The Monkey Man posted:

A pit bull/dachshund mix

Oh my god :3:

It's like something out of an old cartoon

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Oh my god :3:

It's like something out of an old cartoon

Watch the video. He runs like a mongoose!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWWK7WZVZ2Q

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I know plenty of people who don't like bull terriers (either because they think they're ugly, or are afraid of them). I think it's mostly the tiny eyes. But my GOD. :3:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

davidspackage posted:

I know plenty of people who don't like bull terriers (either because they think they're ugly, or are afraid of them). I think it's mostly the tiny eyes. But my GOD. :3:

Bull Terriers were actually super-popular at the turn of the 20th Century and almost replaced the Bald Eagle as the animal totem of the US.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I love how apparently the best image of him is one where his dogs are all over him. :3:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

Bull Terriers were actually super-popular at the turn of the 20th Century and almost replaced the Bald Eagle as the animal totem of the US.

I would support replacing the current psychotic sky-terror emblem with an animal that exemplifies unconditional love and loyalty.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Weltlich posted:

I would support replacing the current psychotic sky-terror emblem with an animal that exemplifies unconditional love and loyalty.

Bald Eagles are really more scavengers than they are sky terrors.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

Bald Eagles are really more scavengers than they are sky terrors.

Not really, they are primarily hunters but they do scavenge as well.

Pretty much any hunter animal becomes more of a scavenger around humans anyways.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If Far Cry 4 has taught me anything, it's that eagles are synonymous with automatic gunfire, therefore the perfect mascot for 'MURICA! :patriot:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Alteisen posted:

I love how apparently the best image of him is one where his dogs are all over him. :3:

Even the dogs are super hyped he gets to go to space.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Bathtime!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

ultrabindu posted:

I thought you'd never ask.

You start their training when they are young, teaching them about other animals.

If you think you love your job, I have news for you: No one loves their job more than a service dog. This is Mia. She is my Seizure Alerter. She will be 15 this year. She's given us some real scares: she had to have a splenectomy last year, and bloat surgery in September, right after her daughter died of cancer.

Mia is a Standard Poodle. She adores going to work, especially when it means making new friends and introducing them to service dogs--and poodles. What we stress to people is that she's quiet because she's working. Poodles are very high energy dogs, which makes them ideal for service work. Off work she's not so quiet.

Here's her niece, International Champion La Marka Mercedes Blanc. (yes, that's her whole name)

Mercedes has gone from show champion to runway model, to costume model, and now seizure alerter. She loves babies. If we run into a baby in a stroller, she insists on a full inspection. Woe betide the mother if even one hair is not where Mercedes wants it. She gives the best Evil Eye while fixing the error.

Children will often run up and hug them. They love it. They do have a special command for visiting people. It's not always possible to stop a toddler in time, though, so we train them to enjoy it. It's an easy thing to teach.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Khazar-khum posted:

I thought you'd never ask.

You start their training when they are young, teaching them about other animals.

If you think you love your job, I have news for you: No one loves their job more than a service dog. This is Mia. She is my Seizure Alerter. She will be 15 this year. She's given us some real scares: she had to have a splenectomy last year, and bloat surgery in September, right after her daughter died of cancer.

Mia is a Standard Poodle. She adores going to work, especially when it means making new friends and introducing them to service dogs--and poodles. What we stress to people is that she's quiet because she's working. Poodles are very high energy dogs, which makes them ideal for service work. Off work she's not so quiet.

Here's her niece, International Champion La Marka Mercedes Blanc. (yes, that's her whole name)

Mercedes has gone from show champion to runway model, to costume model, and now seizure alerter. She loves babies. If we run into a baby in a stroller, she insists on a full inspection. Woe betide the mother if even one hair is not where Mercedes wants it. She gives the best Evil Eye while fixing the error.

Children will often run up and hug them. They love it. They do have a special command for visiting people. It's not always possible to stop a toddler in time, though, so we train them to enjoy it. It's an easy thing to teach.

Mia is cool as hell! With her coloration, she looks like a fuzzy weimaraner :3:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

blunt for century posted:

Mia is cool as hell! With her coloration, she looks like a fuzzy weimaraner :3:

Aww, thank you. She is as loving and sweet as she looks. Right now she's raising the roof because she wants pizza.

She's actually a silver, and in the right light she looks metallic. When her coat was grown out, my sister liked to curl her toes in Mia's soft sides.

Uh-oh. She's barking at me, telling me to go into the other room. I always do what she says--she knows me better than I do!

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
My uncle has a friend, Randy, who, due to a neurological condition, went slowly blind, starting when he was 22. For several years he was in a wheelchair because of it. He eventually was able to walk again, and started hiking, with his guide dog Quinn, as well as some friends.

In 2012, he became the first blind hiker to reache the summits of all 48 mountains over 400 feet in New Hampshire.

The guide dog in these photos, Quinn, passed away about a year ago, but he has a new dog, and has taken up marathons. He'll be running in the Boston Marathon this Spring.

All of the photos came from his website.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Seeing this pic made me do a gasp like Olivia here. It's like a stuffed toy, it's too cute, cripes. :3

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Beardless posted:

My uncle has a friend, Randy, who, due to a neurological condition, went slowly blind, starting when he was 22. For several years he was in a wheelchair because of it. He eventually was able to walk again, and started hiking, with his guide dog Quinn, as well as some friends.

In 2012, he became the first blind hiker to reache the summits of all 48 mountains over 400 feet in New Hampshire.

The guide dog in these photos, Quinn, passed away about a year ago, but he has a new dog, and has taken up marathons. He'll be running in the Boston Marathon this Spring.

All of the photos came from his website.

Quinn was happy his person had him along to keep things under control. Service dogs tend to consider their humans to be totally helpless without their constant attention. I'll bet Quinn preferred the snow to the rocks--if Randy fell, he was less likely to get hurt. They get stressed out if their partner isn't in sight. It's the deepest bond you will ever have, short of a marriage. And a lot of marriages aren't that close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Probably already posted, but meh.

• Locked thread