Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I've been using the friendship circlet while leveling up my MRD, which is...a big loss of defense. One weird trick to level up faster! Healers HATE him!
It's not really relevant (assuming the rest of your gear is decent) until after it stops giving you bonus XP, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I've been using the friendship circlet while leveling up my MRD, which is...a big loss of defense. One weird trick to level up faster! Healers HATE him!

If anyone gives you grief over giving yourself a +20% boost to experience in the newbie dungeons for a small reduction in effectiveness, they are just jealous they don't have the Friendship Circlet themselves.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Klungar posted:

If anyone gives you grief over giving yourself a +20% boost to experience in the newbie dungeons for a small reduction in effectiveness, they are just jealous they don't have the Friendship Circlet themselves.

But then the newbie THMs might have to do something other than press fire II and blizzard II!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Klungar posted:

yeah gently caress those friendless nerds, always wear that circlet.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises

hobbesmaster posted:

But then the newbie THMs might have to do something other than press fire II and blizzard II!

Excuse you.

I also use Transpose. :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sometimes I get fancy and hit lightning at random too!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I decided to try to use Blizzard II to kill the super weak adds in Halatali, since they die in two ticks of Bio so they can't survive it, right?

It couldn't even kill those. Blizzard II is the worst.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Gah, all of a sudden I seem to be getting all of the bad pubbie groups. Gonna have to figure out a Free Company solution here soon.

Also just got my third seal and I've mostly gotten the patterns into my head. My question is which Jutsu is best for when? I'm assuming I want Huton up all the time, but is Doton better aoe than Katon so long as groups are stationary? How about using Doton against a boss?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I decided to try to use Blizzard II to kill the super weak adds in Halatali, since they die in two ticks of Bio so they can't survive it, right?

Its a cross class skill so you can use it on all your other classes too!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I feel bad spamming recruitment codes, but uh, other people did it too! Please be my friend...ship-circlet-provider:

EJDCS6MK

Finally finished catching up on Post-2.0 main story and Hildibrand yesterday... man this game is good.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

LornMarkus posted:

Gah, all of a sudden I seem to be getting all of the bad pubbie groups. Gonna have to figure out a Free Company solution here soon.

Also just got my third seal and I've mostly gotten the patterns into my head. My question is which Jutsu is best for when? I'm assuming I want Huton up all the time, but is Doton better aoe than Katon so long as groups are stationary? How about using Doton against a boss?

Maintain Huton at all times.

Single-target:

- Raiton is 360 potency and should be what you use on single targets and with Kassatsu's auto-crit most of the time.

- Suiton is only 180 potency in a vacuum, but makes you count as hidden for the next few seconds as far as being able to execute Sneak/Trick Attack (mostly Trick Attack) are concerned. Use it when their cooldowns are up and combo into Trick Attack (or occasionally Sneak Attack) on your next off-GCD.

- Fuma Shuriken is 240 potency physical damage (benefiting from your buffs, unlike the rest of the ninjutsu) and is also lag-friendlier since you only need to hit 1 mudra. If you screw something up, a shuriken is better than a Hyoton or a bunny of shame.

- Hyoton sucks, being a piddly 140 potency with a bind. Unless you're in some very unusual situation where the bind is actually important (I honestly can't think of one), never use this.

Multi-target:

- Doton is a 30 potency DoT that ticks 8 times (and also heavies things), adding up to 240 potency provided a. the mobs live that long and b. the mobs stay in the circle. I'm not sure how it interacts with Kassatsu's auto-crit, but probably unflatteringly.

- Katon is 180 potency straight-up, and will auto-crit with Kassatsu. Use it for AoE if you can't depend on Doton getting at least 6 ticks in.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blizzard 2 used to have the same potency as Fire II, which apparently was overpowered or something, so they nerfed it by 50 loving percent.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Doton has 100% crit chance when it's Kassatsu, putting it at a 360 potency aoe and definitely worth using.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Vil posted:

- Doton is a 30 potency DoT that ticks 8 times (and also heavies things), adding up to 240 potency provided a. the mobs live that long and b. the mobs stay in the circle. I'm not sure how it interacts with Kassatsu's auto-crit, but probably unflatteringly.
Each tick will crit.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Oh wow, much better than I expected then.

So yeah, Kassatsu your Doton if you're AoEing. My advice still remains to use Katon if you don't expect at least 3/4 (18 seconds) of the Doton to actually be in effect due to squishy mobs or wiggly tank.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

That being said, do not use Doton on single target. It is not worth it in comparison to Raiton. Even if you use Kassatsu.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

orange juche posted:

Blizzard 2 used to have the same potency as Fire II, which apparently was overpowered or something, so they nerfed it by 50 loving percent.

Having no mana cost and doing the same damage as Fire II sure was nice.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

nuru posted:

Having no mana cost and doing the same damage as Fire II sure was nice.

It didn't though.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
Anyone on Balmung wanna ERP do some primals with me?

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
http://i.imgur.com/q2Pysel.png

I found that to be very helpful when I transitioned from Bard to Ninja main. A simple priority flowchart works for Ninja just fine.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Anyone on Balmung wanna ERP do some primals with me?

"do some primals," eh? Missed when that became the new euphemism.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

KaneTW posted:

It didn't though.

I didn't play BLM then, but Astral Ice II or III basically means you can cast Blizzard II forever now. Did that change too?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nuru posted:

I didn't play BLM then, but Astral Ice II or III basically means you can cast Blizzard II forever now. Did that change too?

Blizzard I and Fire I have the same potency too though? If you'd be fine with the potency of blizzard II why not stick with blizzard I all the time too?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

nuru posted:

No, that part was right. The damage part was wrong. also it's umbral ice

hobbesmaster posted:

Blizzard I and Fire I have the same potency too though? If you'd be fine with the potency of blizzard II why not stick with blizzard I all the time too?

Astral Fire I/II/III increase fire damage by 40/60/80%. Umbral Ice I/II/III lowers fire damage by 10/20/30% and vice versa.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

KaneTW posted:

"do some primals," eh? Missed when that became the new euphemism.

Someone better at writing than I am should write an excerpt from the saga of one lalafell's torrid affair with the Lord of the Whorl.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
No

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

KaneTW posted:

No, that part was right. The damage part was wrong. also it's umbral ice

Astral Fire I/II/III increase fire damage by 40/60/80%. Umbral Ice I/II/III lowers fire damage by 10/20/30% and vice versa.

Oh right. Completely forgot about the buff fire provides. Don't mind me, my BLM isn't even 50.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Vil posted:

Someone better at writing than I am should write an excerpt from the saga of one lalafell's torrid affair with the Lord of the Whorl.

That's nothing new.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So given that choosing a race mostly comes down to aesthetics is there a place where I can see end game armor on all class models?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

m.hache posted:

So given that choosing a race mostly comes down to aesthetics is there a place where I can see end game armor on all class models?

All helmets look dumb on cats and awesome on Lalafells.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

nuru posted:

All helmets look dumb on cats and awesome on Lalafells.

The LTW AF hat looks amazing on cats because the ear parts bounce.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Agrias-Has-Had-Enough-Of-My-poo poo.jpg

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Klungar posted:

Plus if you're tanking and dying with the friendship circlet on you're going to be dying without it on because low level dungeons can be tanked by DPS, who have much worse defense than you do unless you're using normal quality stuff 10+ levels behind the dungeon level. Or you're one of those people who hits the first 3 dungeons and still have empty spots on your left side for some reason*. Those people are so much fun to play with. :psyduck:

*If you're on Excalibur and this describes you then you need to talk in FC chat more.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Want Gold Saucer. Want it now.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Guy in my frontline group was getting really buttmad :qq:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
incoming pink-rear end chocobos

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2015/Valentiones_Day/

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Can't wait for new barding, I love playing chocobo dress up.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

This is gonna be a good event, I can feel it.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

{I'm looking forward to it.}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AzureRequiem posted:

How intensive is SCH micro at higher levels of play? Like, FCoB? I really want to level a healer, [but] the idea of micromanaging scares the hell out of me.

JOHN loving MADDEN in FFXIV/Wow terms, not that bad at all in Starcarft terms.
Really you're mostly micro-ing your mana consumption, your pet position, and your (pet's) cooldowns. Not that hard at all. You just have to be proactive, whereas a WHM is reactive.

• Locked thread