Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Prepare for me to steal derive from your photo up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

iSheep posted:

Prepare for me to steal derive from your photo up there.

Be my guest. It works best with a pretty fast lens wide open. Be sure to shoot a lot as you move it around in front of the lens, since unless you have an EVF it won't necessarily look like what you're seeing through the viewfinder. It sucks losing a solid shot because a prism is throwing a giant beam of light through the model's face.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hm, maybe live view on my T2i + Focus Peaking with magic lantern would be the way to go.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Tanya
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

TheAngryDrunk, are you a full time photog in LA? I'm really curious as to the differences between LA and NYC as far as being a photographer is concerned.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

trip9 posted:

TheAngryDrunk, are you a full time photog in LA? I'm really curious as to the differences between LA and NYC as far as being a photographer is concerned.

Not a fulltime photographer. I lived in LA, but now I live in Las Vegas.

From what I know about your question, I would say that NYC is more high fashion-oriented while LA is more commercial and lifestyle oriented.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Not a fulltime photographer. I lived in LA, but now I live in Las Vegas.

From what I know about your question, I would say that NYC is more high fashion-oriented while LA is more commercial and lifestyle oriented.

Seems pretty accurate from what I've seen, though I only know of the LA scene through tumblr/instagram. I'd looove to get into fashion here but it's so rough sometimes. It becomes more about logistics than taking photos it seems like. Also doesn't help that I have a 9-5 outside of photography.

As an aside, shot this girl last weekend, she was stunning.

Untitled by audiesumaray, on Flickr

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
A few portraits I took over a year ago. I'd like to do more, but products pay my bills!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

trip9 posted:

Seems pretty accurate from what I've seen, though I only know of the LA scene through tumblr/instagram. I'd looove to get into fashion here but it's so rough sometimes. It becomes more about logistics than taking photos it seems like. Also doesn't help that I have a 9-5 outside of photography.

As an aside, shot this girl last weekend, she was stunning.

I don't want to come down on these too hard because they're technically pretty solid, but your model's posing is really rubbish here. The starry-eyed/deer-in-headlights thing is really played out and you're not pushing any boundaries with these.
Models are like actors- they're far more interesting when they're doing something.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

McMadCow posted:

I don't want to come down on these too hard because they're technically pretty solid, but your model's posing is really rubbish here. The starry-eyed/deer-in-headlights thing is really played out and you're not pushing any boundaries with these.
Models are like actors- they're far more interesting when they're doing something.

I agree, it was freezing out and our first time working together though, not that it's much of an excuse.

I'm pretty poo poo at directing models, but on the other side of that coin, when I'm shooting with experienced/agency models I don't think it's really my job to be directing them how to pose. To me posing people is more for when you're working with inexperienced models. But yeah, I understand it's a failure on my part as well if the photos aren't coming out dynamic enough.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

trip9 posted:

I'm pretty poo poo at directing models, but on the other side of that coin, when I'm shooting with experienced/agency models I don't think it's really my job to be directing them how to pose. To me posing people is more for when you're working with inexperienced models. But yeah, I understand it's a failure on my part as well if the photos aren't coming out dynamic enough.

I disagree, it's your job to be directing every part of the picture, including the posing. A model who is good at posing isn't just someone who shows up with a stable of ready-made poses they can bang out on cue, it's someone who understands how their body looks when you explain your poses to them.

Don't get me wrong, someone who has that stable of poses brings a lot more to the collaboration than someone who just stands their like a dead fish, but it's because their movements can dynamically shape the shoot as it's happening and you can play off of that. You should never expect to just leave that part wholly up to them, though.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

McMadCow posted:

I disagree, it's your job to be directing every part of the picture, including the posing. A model who is good at posing isn't just someone who shows up with a stable of ready-made poses they can bang out on cue, it's someone who understands how their body looks when you explain your poses to them.

Don't get me wrong, someone who has that stable of poses brings a lot more to the collaboration than someone who just stands their like a dead fish, but it's because their movements can dynamically shape the shoot as it's happening and you can play off of that. You should never expect to just leave that part wholly up to them, though.

Absolutely. If you don't direct an experienced model how you want *her* to pose she'll just end up posing the same as she does for everyone else.

The ideal situation is having someone like mcmadcow describes. Working though rough poses and then drilling down and identifying what works for what you want.

At the end of the day the photographer, regardless of how big a team is, will be the one who is the first to be blamed even if the fault is the model, the art director, or the makeup artist.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I wasn't sure what thread to post these in (are engagement photos more for the wedding thread?)

Anyway, have some photos of a couple in luv.

_51B5822 by francography, on Flickr

_51B5690_2 by francography, on Flickr

Tsimp
Mar 16, 2012
Hello there, I've just made my way into the Dorkroom and am looking to improve. I really enjoy portraiture, would love to know what you all think about some of my work.

Curiosity by Tyler M. Simpson, on Flickr
This photo was part of a set from the Florida Aquarium.

FINAL-0411 by Tyler M. Simpson, on Flickr
A person I met at the park.

FINAL-0218 by Tyler M. Simpson, on Flickr
Another park person.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

What do you think of your work?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Keep taking photos. Be mindful of the composition, the light, the mood, the background, your subjects, your reason for taking the photo.

Tsimp
Mar 16, 2012

ansel autisms posted:

What do you think of your work?

I really love it, but I know I have a long way to go before I can master matching vision to reality, and a long way to go before I can be sure that my "Vision" isn't crap. Photography is something that I can see myself doing for a living, and while I take photographs that please me, I feel like it's time to get feedback on them to gauge my progression.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Keep taking photos. Be mindful of the composition, the light, the mood, the background, your subjects, your reason for taking the photo.

Thank you for the advice.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
You need to look at your basic technique like exposure and composition... then start thinking about posing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tsimp posted:

I feel like this one has potential but like deaders says if could do with a bit more care in composition and exposure. I'm a fan of those spectacle shadows though and I'm going to try and do the same thing some time.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Can I get some feedback on which you like better? (Assuming you like one or the other!) I'm torn on the post processing and the pic themselves.

Tanya
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

Tanya
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 26, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Can I get some feedback on which you like better? (Assuming you like one or the other!) I'm torn on the post processing and the pic themselves.

Tanya
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

Tanya
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

I'd pick the first one if someone put a gun to my head.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Tsimp posted:

Hello there, I've just made my way into the Dorkroom and am looking to improve. I really enjoy portraiture, would love to know what you all think about some of my work.

Curiosity by Tyler M. Simpson, on Flickr
This photo was part of a set from the Florida Aquarium.

FINAL-0218 by Tyler M. Simpson, on Flickr
Another park person.

I started to write a critique on these photos but I realized they all have the same problem. Composition and cropping. What is more important in the first photo? The kid or the fact that he's at an aquarium? I can BARELY make out the object behind him as a fish, and there's no context to let me know what he's looking at. Step back, the scene is sometimes just as much of a subject as the "subject". Show me the surroundings. Show me what he's so focused on.

The second one is actually kinda cool but I'm not a fan of the crop. His right eyeball (image left) is almost dead center in the frame, and since he's looking to the right, I find it very odd composition wise that the background is cropped on the right side.

The third one is an interesting subject, but again the composition is really unbalanced.

I highly recommend reading up on the rule of thirds and studying composition, thanks for sharing your start with us, you'll get better with practice!

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Have a couple more, that's all I'm posting from that gig.

_51B5815 by francography, on Flickr

_51B5808 by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

My niece

Stevie Alia by francography, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Tanya
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

Tanya
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

In the second one I like that her necklace pops out as the focal point and I like it's more contrasty, which draws the focus to her really well. But in the first one the overall composition is stronger. In the second the model's leg looks too big and so does the chair, which throws things off a bit. Was this shot with a wide angle?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
114 by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 27, 2015

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

That's some tight story telling

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Your stuff lately has been very rad

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Tanya
by SPV Photo, on Flickr
Tanya[/url] by SPV Photo, on Flickr

drat, are you one of the ten people who lives in Nelson or do you just make that long rear end drive several times a week? I'm really surprised I haven't recognized any of the models you've shot yet.

BANME.sh posted:

By lately you mean like the last two years at least.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Dren posted:

In the second one I like that her necklace pops out as the focal point and I like it's more contrasty, which draws the focus to her really well. But in the first one the overall composition is stronger. In the second the model's leg looks too big and so does the chair, which throws things off a bit. Was this shot with a wide angle?

Yes, the chair and her leg are definitely looking a little too big.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

drat, are you one of the ten people who lives in Nelson or do you just make that long rear end drive several times a week? I'm really surprised I haven't recognized any of the models you've shot yet.

I live in Henderson so it's not too bad. 30 minutes maybe?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Stacey
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Of course now you'd post a model I recognize.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Of course now you'd post a model I recognize.

Haha! That was just tonight.

Who says you don't need IS on a wide angle lens?

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

3rding to say this is really cool. I think it could use a tad more tonal depth though, but that could just be my lovely washed out monitor.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

voodoorootbeer posted:

That's some tight story telling

BANME.sh posted:

By lately you mean like the last two years at least.

Thank you thank you and thank you! :)

trip9 posted:

3rding to say this is really cool. I think it could use a tad more tonal depth though, but that could just be my lovely washed out monitor.

Thanks, when I viewed it on my laptop monitor in bed I too thought it looked like poo poo because the screen on that is too bright, but on my main monitors & monitors here at work I think it looks okay. But yeah it does not look good at all on anything that is washed out.

the hodag
Jan 15, 2007

Rawrzadoodle
A couple of couples:

Liz_Aaron-0005 by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

_MG_5838-Edit by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

the hodag posted:

A couple of couples:

Liz_Aaron-0005 by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

_MG_5838-Edit by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

First one has really nice light, though they aren't very expressive.

Second one looks like they're about to murder or be murdered. Or sacrifice their baby to Satan or something.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Haha! That was just tonight.

Who says you don't need IS on a wide angle lens?

Ahhh, I just saw you comment on another model I know's page. My real life world and my internet world are slowly merging.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dakana posted:

Second one looks like they're about to murder or be murdered. Or sacrifice their baby to Satan or something.

Ok so it just wasn't me.

Unless the feeling was to imply how terrible their lives are about to become or something then it that case yeah it nails it in that aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Ahhh, I just saw you comment on another model I know's page. My real life world and my internet world are slowly merging.

Who?