Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tab8715 posted:

I'd be game for a lets read, I presume we'd just start a new thread and take it from there?

Anyone have any suggestions on a title? I was thinking of doing the EMC book because it's a bit dry and I thought it'd be motivating if a few people were going through it together and talking about it. Maybe it could somehow be fun.

I'm open to other books though, there's nor much point if I'm doing it on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
We need a thread dedicated to lovely job posts and/or recruiters from India.

Our client has an immediate need for a Tape Librarian. If you feel this position matches your experience and availability, please email your updated RESUME with a DAYTIME CONTACT #

Job Title: Tape Librarian
Duration: 6 Months
Start: ASAP

*** For immediate consideration please email me or call me up. Ravi Kumar (404) 565 4936

Prerequisites
• Data entry experience a plus
• Familiarity with information systems a plus
• Able to lift up to 65-pound boxes repetitively
• Able to use hand trucks, pallet jacks, and pallets, and other record center related equipment
• Able to climb ladders safely
• Able to stand for extended periods of time
• Able to walk several hours daily
• Able to climb stairs
• Able to perform computer work for extended periods of time
• Good organizational skills
• Must have basic Microsoft Excel Skills
• Familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, Word, and SharePoint a plus
• Familiarity with scanning techniques and handheld barcode scanners
• Familiarity with TapeTrack TapeMaster media tracking system a plus

Duties

1. Fulfill tape request pulls and returns.
2. Prepare media for transit as required.
3. Scan media to shelf/container.
4. Place media on appropriate shelves/containers.
5. Unpack and label new media for initial usage.
6. Follow PDC procedures for access and operations.
7. Other data center duties as required.

Thank you,
Ravi Kumar
Sr. Consultant- Talent Acquisition
Calance
A CMMi Level 5 Company
https://www.calance.com
Office: 404-565 - 4936
Email ID: ravi.kumar@calance.com

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
is there a ladder climbing cert i need to get

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
For all the independent contractor tape librarians living in Oklahoma.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dark Helmut posted:

DAF is up to the task.

I was going to say, wasn't this a thing he and few goons did like a year ago that just sort of died?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't recall.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I can't seem to find the actual thread, but DaF and a couple others had a Goon UserGroup where they made webcasts uploaded to youtube about a couple topics. I think only a couple were actually made before it fell apart.

fake e: here's the youtube channel I think they were uploaded to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC95aNfy9zVEhGNs72U0o1FA?videos

Unless there was another thing book related that I missed.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I just discovered that the proserv guy we hired for custom implementation of our cloud product has embedded a custom email variable 48 separate times in various methods. You know, instead of putting it in one place like a sane person and letting class inheritance do the work. I'd yell at him but I think we didn't renew his contract for "some reason".

This is the quality of guys you are sending us, evol :(

Maybe it's not the product that's terrible, maybe it's just the customization layer.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Have an interview lined up with KPMG for some sort of consulting job. Anyone have experience with that kind of work? Lots of travel and interacting with CEOs and such could be exciting but I don't know what I may be getting myself into. Pay raise and bennies are what I'm mainly looking for here.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This might not be (probably definitely isn't) the same for all consulting gigs, but in my current role I definitely feel pressured to get in, get the job done in the allocated (read: billed for) time, and get out again, rinse repeat with the next client. There's nothing technically wrong with this approach but personally I much prefer internal roles where I can grow with the company, and a slow day is an opportunity to implement new things that aren't necessarily needed but do work towards the goal of "make technology work better for people". Like if I'm putting new VM infrastructure or storage in somewhere and I see their Wi-Fi is 100 people sharing a WPA2 key I'd like to be able to move things to RADIUS, but welp, not part of the project scope, on to the next job.

I plan on getting back into an internal role within the next year or two.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Docjowles posted:

There's an SA IT Mentoring Group although it gets like one post per week. It's hidden/private so you have to request membership, not sure who that goes to.
If memory serves, WintermuteCF is the owner of the group. (I think I spelled the name right)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Apparently I have mod access to the group. like 16 backlogged requests approved.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Thanks Ants posted:

This might not be (probably definitely isn't) the same for all consulting gigs, but in my current role I definitely feel pressured to get in, get the job done in the allocated (read: billed for) time, and get out again, rinse repeat with the next client. There's nothing technically wrong with this approach but personally I much prefer internal roles where I can grow with the company, and a slow day is an opportunity to implement new things that aren't necessarily needed but do work towards the goal of "make technology work better for people". Like if I'm putting new VM infrastructure or storage in somewhere and I see their Wi-Fi is 100 people sharing a WPA2 key I'd like to be able to move things to RADIUS, but welp, not part of the project scope, on to the next job.

I plan on getting back into an internal role within the next year or two.

Sounds like it would be a good experience for 1-2 years of high speed hands on, and then time to gtfo

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bhodi posted:

I just discovered that the proserv guy we hired for custom implementation of our cloud product has embedded a custom email variable 48 separate times in various methods. You know, instead of putting it in one place like a sane person and letting class inheritance do the work. I'd yell at him but I think we didn't renew his contract for "some reason".

This is the quality of guys you are sending us, evol :(

Maybe it's not the product that's terrible, maybe it's just the customization layer.

Proserv or Red Hat Professional Services?

If it's Red Hat, you should go complain. Honestly. This is where we make our money, and that kind of thing wouldn't go well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Proserv or Red Hat Professional Services?

If it's Red Hat, you should go complain. Honestly. This is where we make our money, and that kind of thing wouldn't go well.

Unless you give @redhat.com to external subs... Not sure what complaining will do, we've been struggling for months and even our current guy who is somewhat better still says the dev staff there is, how did he put it, "focused on development of new features rather than efforts to backport fixes" but there is no upgrade path for us because the schema changed in a dot release and it mangles the DB when we try and upgrade, and it's in production so we kind of need data integrity. That ticket's still open.

I'm just venting at this point but we are spending a LOT of money, you'd think they care more. Unless you have a super secret inside number we'll just have to muddle through. I think our recommendation to the boss is to focus on getting a current ver up and evaluating how difficult a porting process will be, this time with code review.

I think we may have complained about the guy which is why we have a different dude now. But while he's better, I know we just extended his contract by another 3 months because had he left, our dev instance would have been in literally an unworkable state. And the quality of code he's putting out is not great even though he understands the internals.

But all that aside, you're fighting against the product itself. In 2012 when we bought it the docs said to literally shut down the DB and do a full backup and restore once a week for proper functioning. We couldn't believe it so we call support up and what they really mean is that you need to reindex a bunch of tables, and doing a full backup and restore was a convenient way of doing that. :psyduck:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
It sounds like you're working on Satellite, but maybe some other product with a terrible db (like SQL express for vcenter)

There's not a super-secret number you can call, but harassing your sales rep at Redhat (if you signed a consulting contract with us that he came on) would probably do a lot of good.

I'm not super familiar with the consulting side of the business and how they handle their employees, but I bet they'd like to know that you weren't satisfied and you didn't renew (costing us money) because he was bad

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's the cloud product. I mentioned it above a week or two ago to you but I didn't really want to show up on a google search. Sadly this method of operation seems par for the course of most consulting arms, hampered by you guys just flat purchasing the product because every company ever needs an offering in that space.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I think I hate myself, legitimately hate myself.

About a month ago I was going through a real rough patch of sleep deprevation, trouble at home, and a whole sack of other horseshit that was affecting my general wellbeing and performance. It got to the point where my boss sat me down and gave me the "What's wrong with you, you can do better than this" speech. Cut to yesterday where I'm riding to another site in his car and he lets slip to me "what are you going to do at the end of february?", He then tells me that he's in the process of replacing me and has my date set for the end of february.

Thing is, I'm probably at fault for that expectation of wanting to leave... but gently caress me if I'm not in any shape to actually go through with it and I'm bloody terrified of what's going to happen at the end of this coming month.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 31, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bhodi posted:

It's the cloud product. I mentioned it above a week or two ago to you but I didn't really want to show up on a google search. Sadly this method of operation seems par for the course of most consulting arms, hampered by you guys just flat purchasing the product because every company ever needs an offering in that space.

I don't wanna call it "growing pains", because we should be better at this by now, but every time we acquire something or open-source internal stuff it all falls down.

We make breaking changes in a dot release somewhere, break features during the rewrite to open it because it's " better design" that way or someone didn't really understand the original code and now they'll break the new release if they try to fix it, etc.

At least they finally finished opening that product, so it should be less crap in the future, but that doesn't help you now

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I think I hate myself, legitimately hate myself.

About a month ago I was going through a real rough patch of sleep deprevation, trouble at home, and a whole sack of other horseshit that was affecting my general wellbeing and performance. It got to the point where my boss sat me down and gave me the "What's wrong with you, you can do better than this" speech. Cut to yesterday where I'm riding to another site in his car and he lets slip to me "what are you going to do at the end of february?", He then tells me that he's in the process of replacing me and has my date set for the end of february.

Thing is, I'm probably at fault for that expectation of wanting to leave... but gently caress me if I'm not in any shape to actually go through with it and I'm bloody terrified of what's going to happen at the end of this coming month.

From the sound of it, you need to focus on getting your personal issues in line before you can reasonably be expected to perform during an interview or even in a new position. Look at the thread title. There's a reason why we mocked the post that it came from. The fact that your boss noticed an actual shift in your performance and realized that it wasn't your normal level should clue you in to what's really the issue here.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

psydude posted:

From the sound of it, you need to focus on getting your personal issues in line before you can reasonably be expected to perform during an interview or even in a new position. Look at the thread title. There's a reason why we mocked the post that it came from. The fact that your boss noticed an actual shift in your performance and realized that it wasn't your normal level should clue you in to what's really the issue here.

Yes, I'm aware and since then he's actually commended me on my performance. Stating that I operate above and beyond the level he expects me to operate at. Who'da thought that all it would take was for me to tell my parents to shove their nanny-baby expectations and to stop actively loving with everything I do, trying to sell my services to their friends without asking, and to leave me the gently caress alone at 12-4am so I can get some goddamn sleep.

Edit2: Also I'd think you'd understand that I think I hate myself cause it's my own goddamn fault

Edit: Coincidentally I seem to have a functioning spine now.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 31, 2015

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, my boss has decided to re-wire the entire switch closet this weekend. For an office with over 200 users and some fairly tricky routing in place.

We have an all-staff important company meeting on monday. Over 1/3rd of our employees are remote.

:catstare:

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 31, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Best of luck to him, I'm sure it will all be completed by Monday and there are no ports that behave differently to others. And even if there are I bet it's all documented and the patching is coloured/labelled appropriately.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thanks Ants posted:

Best of luck to him, I'm sure it will all be completed by Monday and there are no ports that behave differently to others. And even if there are I bet it's all documented and the patching is coloured/labelled appropriately.

Well, I'll be shucking cables for three more hours. (2k 1ft Cat5 cables in plastic bags) and that's as far as I intend to poke this poop.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I need to find a supplier of patch cables that doesn't supply them in plastic bags and uses a paper wrap to hold them together instead of the twist ties. Even having to pull 50 of those apart pisses me off.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

I need to find a supplier of patch cables that doesn't supply them in plastic bags and uses a paper wrap to hold them together instead of the twist ties. Even having to pull 50 of those apart pisses me off.

I think I've said this before somewhere, but snippers.

This doohickey

Takes a tiny bit of paying attention not to nick the cables, but it's not that hard to avoid, and you'll just zip right on through those twist-ties.

We get all Allentel cables because unlike everyone else they figured out that the plastic tab on the connector needs to be at least an inch long and protected by a matching arched tab coming up from the other side of the connector so the tab can't get snagged on something, pulled up, and broken. But yeah, can't count the number of times I've just wanted to call them up and be like "fuckers, just send me a 5 foot long box with a bunch of cables laid out lengthwise inside it so I don't have to unpack and uncoil all these cables and leave them stretched out for a bit so they won't coil back up while we're patching".

Also if you're not using these snippers to cut zip-ties (not that you should be using zip-ties often) you're doing it wrong, and will cut yourself (or someone else) on the nasty little bit of plastic that will end up sticking out of the ziptie head. So buy like 5 of these snippers and put them in various places so you'll always have one available.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Potato Alley posted:

I think I've said this before somewhere, but snippers.

This doohickey

Takes a tiny bit of paying attention not to nick the cables, but it's not that hard to avoid, and you'll just zip right on through those twist-ties.

Or you can get manly on it and get some real tools.

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-D228-8-...iagonal+cutters

Or if find yourself making cables more often then you like, get a pair of electricians scissors in your bag. Only tool for stripping/cutting I use short of 120V wire.

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-2...klein+dscissors

Also kudos for a closet clean up. Always the first thing I do with a new client. I started as an electrician, low voltage cabeler and can do a spiders webbed patch panel of 200 in about 3-4 hours. Long as you are proficient with a punch tool its doable in a weekend.

Also screw tie wraps, get velcro. Once you reach critical mass on a site you never end up needing tie wraps ever.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-4S115...age+velcro+tape

Plus it looks all pretty when its done.

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 1, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If anyone is interested in reading IT books as a group, I created a thread for it:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698237

I'm looking for other suggestions unless there's overwhelming interest in one of the three I offered.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BlueBlazer posted:

Also screw tie wraps, get velcro. Once you reach critical mass on a site you never end up needing tie wraps ever.

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-4S115...age+velcro+tape
If you don't need really high-strength stuff, BuyHookAndLoop has bulk velcro for 25% of that price:

http://www.buyhookandloop.com/products/strap-it

Perfectly adequate for tidying up a couple of cables from a Panduit organizer or whatever, though I'd use something firmer if you're trying to wrap a bulk of 48 at the end of a patch panel.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 1, 2015

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SaltLick posted:

Have an interview lined up with KPMG for some sort of consulting job. Anyone have experience with that kind of work? Lots of travel and interacting with CEOs and such could be exciting but I don't know what I may be getting myself into. Pay raise and bennies are what I'm mainly looking for here.

I interned with a competing firm as an IT Auditor. I am no longer in that industry.

Be advised, just because you're not doing the accounting doesn't mean the expectations of long hours goes away. It's not as hardcore as the tax and audit people get, but don't expect a straight up 40 hour work week. Also expect them to play games with your reviews to cheat you out of bigger raises.

Of course consulting could in fact be vastly different, but on the audit side that's what I heard.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
One of my buddies runs a graphics studio that does 3D rendering, videos, etc. I occasionally do some consulting for him, so when checking in with him this weekend, he told me he is looking for a new artist and something troubling happened.

He has 3 mothers of applicants follow up on their kids' submissions/interviews last week.

loving Seriously?! I don't even know how to understand that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mayodreams posted:

One of my buddies runs a graphics studio that does 3D rendering, videos, etc. I occasionally do some consulting for him, so when checking in with him this weekend, he told me he is looking for a new artist and something troubling happened.

He has 3 mothers of applicants follow up on their kids' submissions/interviews last week.

loving Seriously?! I don't even know how to understand that.

It is an internship or a job for teenagers?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Our generation is doomed

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Hahaha. If only.

Apparently this is thing now. People are having a hard time getting a career started because they don't have the balls to tell their parents to butt the gently caress out of their business.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sara-sutton-fell/helicopter-parenting-can-_b_3600186.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If an applicant's parent contacted me their application would immediately be headed for the discard pile.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

socialsecurity posted:

Full time graphics professional. Degree or equivalent experience.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Haha superbowl coke commercial, guy in a server room spills a coke into the equipment and it spreads love and memes to the world. I'd fire that fuckup so fast for bringing a coke in there.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

My server room is my office.

What u gonnna do about it Zero VGS :colbert:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Yeah, I go into the server room with coffee all the time. Of course, unlike some goons (Keyboard megathread) I'm capable of computing without spilling poo poo all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

TWBalls posted:

Yeah, I go into the server room with coffee all the time. Of course, unlike some goons (Keyboard megathread) I'm capable of computing without spilling poo poo all over the place.

Do you set it on top of a server in a rack?