Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Can I 3D print climbing rope? I'm at work and can't test this for myself. I really like the item, it's just a pain farming plant fibers and not using them to make bandages. But the rope is so useful...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Can I 3D print climbing rope? I'm at work and can't test this for myself. I really like the item, it's just a pain farming plant fibers and not using them to make bandages. But the rope is so useful...

Has anybody run into trees that drop plant fiber instead of wood in the latest update, on that note? Those were another "Oh god this is AMAZING!" thing from old stable for being able to plant and harvest that much at once. Diamond Drill became my stand in for a chainsaw back then.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Just so I'm not missing anything, there's no reason to keep old weapons, right? You can't sell them as far as I know so best just to trash them, yeah?

Also one aspect I still really dislike is how "unbalanced" the decorations are, of all things. To decorate your own base you basically have to tear down an existing settlement and use it to furnish your own, because most of the neat aesthetic items just don't have recipes. You could always 3D print, but then you still have to steal one of each item, and on top of that it's exorbitantly expensive, like 1700 pixels for a chest.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Also, pro-tip.
For those of you who wanted a "close the box" key bind, if you bind your inventory button to F or B its close enough to conveniently press. And if you press the inventory button while looting a box it closes the box as well as your inventory.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Section Z posted:

Has anybody run into trees that drop plant fiber instead of wood in the latest update, on that note? Those were another "Oh god this is AMAZING!" thing from old stable for being able to plant and harvest that much at once. Diamond Drill became my stand in for a chainsaw back then.

Yes. I found some on a poisoned ocean planet. They also drop Toxic Waste which is used in yellow stims. They make you glow.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
I regret getting this game. I have restarted a characters 3 times and I still get stuck on these three quests :
Free as a Bird
Help! I need somebody
Stirred not shaken.

Those are the only quest available for me, I have no idea how to find more, I can't open the Penguin Bay shop thing. I have no idea what to do except not play this anymore. Is there a fix to this or something?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

How are you stuck?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notinghamington posted:

I regret getting this game. I have restarted a characters 3 times and I still get stuck on these three quests :
Free as a Bird
Help! I need somebody
Stirred not shaken.

Those are the only quest available for me, I have no idea how to find more, I can't open the Penguin Bay shop thing. I have no idea what to do except not play this anymore. Is there a fix to this or something?

How are you having trouble crafting a spoon?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

We just discovered that you can do the mission dungeons as a group. Everything is so much easier now.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Notinghamington posted:

Free as a Bird
Help! I need somebody
Stirred not shaken.

You need to do the following things:
Upgrade your Matter manipulator with 10 copper bars.
Upgrade your Matter manipulator with 10 silver bars.
Collect oil and sand from a desert planet.
Turn the sand into glass.
Use the iron and glass to create an alloy furnace. You need to use an iron crafting bench to do this.
Use the alloy furnace to turn iron and oil into steel.
Make steel armor and weapons.
Talk to someone in the outpost with your steel armor to complete the Help! I need somebody quest and unlock the Mine mission.
Play the Mine mission from your ship's computer.

The Mine mission rewards you with 20 crystals so you can complete the Free as a Bird quest.
You can also finish the Stirred not Shaken quest once you make your alloy furnace to unlock another tech.

The Penguin Bay is never a shop. Occasionally there will be a quest available there to upgrade your ship.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Can't you get the crystals from the Quick-E mart? i swear that last item was exactly what i needed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fargin Icehole posted:

Can't you get the crystals from the Quick-E mart? i swear that last item was exactly what i needed.

No that was fuel.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fargin Icehole posted:

No, the only way to progress is to do what TheBlandName said in their post.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Notinghamington posted:

Free as a Bird
Help! I need somebody
Stirred not shaken.

You need steel armor. Go to a desert planet to mine oil. You dont need FTL to move within the starsystem. Flying to planets in the starsystem takes no fuel.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

There is no way that the developers making this game tested their own boss fights. It's stupid difficult to destroy the 4th boss penguin mech.

Firstly, you drop into a tiny open arena with no cover, no areas to jump to, etc. It's Fox Only No Items Final Destination. First he starts with bursts of 3 missiles. Missiles are easy enough to destroy (can't be dodged because they home in, if you jump over them they rotate and gain insane speed.) But they do about 90% of my health if I get hit. After you take him down a little bit of health, he switches to an electrical arc attack that fills the screen. These are somewhat easy to dodge or block. Then he switches to a flamethrower attack, which is really weak, which I'm convinced is to lure you into a false sense of security.

After using the flamethrower attack, he does this move where he sprints across about 75% of the arena, with no telegraph whatsoever, at insane speed. Does 330 damage and kills me in one hit. All in all you basically cannot get hit once in that boss fight because it'll do 80-100% of your health in one hit. I've done this fight probably 20 times over by now and I'm just going into admin mode and cheating my way through it.

I would love for any one of the Starbound devs to post a video of themselves beating the penguin mech without godmoding and using the armor and weapon tiers that you would have in normal gameplay. I doubt they can.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bilal posted:

There is no way that the developers making this game tested their own boss fights. It's stupid difficult to destroy the 4th boss penguin mech.

Firstly, you drop into a tiny open arena with no cover, no areas to jump to, etc. It's Fox Only No Items Final Destination. First he starts with bursts of 3 missiles. Missiles are easy enough to destroy (can't be dodged because they home in, if you jump over them they rotate and gain insane speed.) But they do about 90% of my health if I get hit. After you take him down a little bit of health, he switches to an electrical arc attack that fills the screen. These are somewhat easy to dodge or block. Then he switches to a flamethrower attack, which is really weak, which I'm convinced is to lure you into a false sense of security.

After using the flamethrower attack, he does this move where he sprints across about 75% of the arena, with no telegraph whatsoever, at insane speed. Does 330 damage and kills me in one hit. All in all you basically cannot get hit once in that boss fight because it'll do 80-100% of your health in one hit. I've done this fight probably 20 times over by now and I'm just going into admin mode and cheating my way through it.

I would love for any one of the Starbound devs to post a video of themselves beating the penguin mech without godmoding and using the armor and weapon tiers that you would have in normal gameplay. I doubt they can.

I died once to the boss. Then i knew its attacks. And had bandages. It died relatively quickly.

Or, you could use the cheap method and shoot the poo poo out of it while its off screen and out of aggro range. cheater.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

I died once to the boss. Then i knew its attacks. And had bandages. It died relatively quickly.

Or, you could use the cheap method and shoot the poo poo out of it while its off screen and out of aggro range. cheater.

Post a vid so I can watch how you did it, I tried googling and youtube and I can't find anyone killing this boss, all the results are from the old version from last year.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

TheBlandName posted:

Did they add checkpoints?
If not, type in /admin when you feel like it. You shouldn't have to suffer too much from bad design decisions of CF.

I don't mind learning patterns or figuring out battle mechanics, if they are done well and I get to learn in a way that doesn't punish me too badly when I mess up. The game doesn't give me a compelling reason to do that.

Bilal posted:

They probably playtested the stages each by themselves and know everything he can do by heart. After beating him 100 times over several weeks: "oh this boss is too easy, he should be harder."

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Section Z posted:

I did, in my starting system on one of the Forest planets.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I just got this game this morning (rip me) and I'm wondering if there's any tips you guys have for completely new player that doesn't involve uninstalling. Are there any must-have mods I should look at?

I got this game because sale and I really liked terraria and I'm lioking for something that smells "new."

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lack of checkpoints is my big issue really with boss fights. But IDK if the game engine supports them.

Man it'd be great to make a joke about support/gameplay right now. But its too soon. Too soon.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So I just got this game this morning (rip me) and I'm wondering if there's any tips you guys have for completely new player that doesn't involve uninstalling. Are there any must-have mods I should look at?

I got this game because sale and I really liked terraria and I'm lioking for simething that smells "new."

Turtilicious's cave mod he linked is loving baller. Cant recommend it enough. The Illuminated Ore mod as well.

I'd upload my "Make guns and shields and poo poo OP" mod but I'm banned from the forums :shrug:

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 31, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

check the OP for some HOT TIPS, mods are still being updated and there aren't any that are too essential, but I recommend combing this thread for the few that have been posted because they're pretty cool.

Good mods will eventually be added to the OP.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I got this game because sale and I really liked terraria and I'm lioking for something that smells "new."

The only must have mod in my opinion, and the only mod I have installed, is the Illuminated Ores mod. Makes ores glow underground so you can see them immediately. This drastically cuts down how boring mining is because while it's still slow, you know exactly where you need to dig.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

This update is pretty good but it mostly makes me want to play terraria instead

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Where is there to stand where he's off screen and out of aggro range? There's nowhere to go.

I tried to cheese it by using the grappling hook to open the vertical hatch and then zoom back up and plink him from up there, but it's not possible.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Even if he is off screen he will charge and hit you very likely, especially since you don't even see him start it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Notinghamington posted:

Free as a Bird
Help! I need somebody
Stirred not shaken.

Did you try completing those quests?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Is it just me or does this game feel not quite "spacey" enough? I think that the matter manipulator is a good step but the planets also don't feel alien enough if you understand what I'm trying to say.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Is it just me or does this game feel not quite "spacey" enough? I think that the matter manipulator is a good step but the planets also don't feel alien enough if you understand what I'm trying to say.

No I get what you mean; every planet looks like a different Earth. I haven't been to a moon yet, but do you need a spacesuit? Is there any atmosphere?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No I get what you mean; every planet looks like a different Earth. I haven't been to a moon yet, but do you need a spacesuit? Is there any atmosphere?

Yeah, you need the tech thingy that allows you to do the first mission.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You get a tech that lets you survive there with no air

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

ScorpioMajesty posted:

You haven't progressed far enough yet. There's planets that are really bizarre with piles of eyeballs instead of dirt and trees made out of metal or sprouting human brains as leaves.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem

TheBlandName posted:

You need to do the following things:
Upgrade your Matter manipulator with 10 copper bars.
Upgrade your Matter manipulator with 10 silver bars.
Collect oil and sand from a desert planet.
Turn the sand into glass.
Use the iron and glass to create an alloy furnace. You need to use an iron crafting bench to do this.
Use the alloy furnace to turn iron and oil into steel.
Make steel armor and weapons.
Talk to someone in the outpost with your steel armor to complete the Help! I need somebody quest and unlock the Mine mission.

The Mine mission rewards you with 20 crystals so you can complete the Free as a Bird quest.
You can also finish the Stirred not Shaken quest once you make your alloy furnace to unlock another tech.

The Penguin Bay is never a shop. Occasionally there will be a quest available there to upgrade your ship.

OMG thank you, I thought my game was broken or something.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ScorpioMajesty posted:

You get a tech that lets you survive there with no air

Oddly enough, there is an actual visual spacesuit in the game, but it's just a cosmetic vanity set with no actual function. You can collect the pieces of it scattered in secret areas in the mining mission, some of which I believe you have to come back for when you have higher-tier techs.

It'd be cool if equipping that suit in your vanity slots had the same effect as having that tech, and let you survive on moons just by wearing an actual spacesuit. (I say equip in your vanity slots because you surely want to keep the stat bonuses of your armor) So then if you really hated the appearance of the space suit - because that kind of thing is important to you - you'd still have the option to just use the tech, instead. Otherwise, people would freak out because they're being forced to wear a specific outfit during any part of the game.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

XboxPants posted:

Oddly enough, there is an actual visual spacesuit in the game, but it's just a cosmetic vanity set with no actual function. You can collect the pieces of it scattered in secret areas in the mining mission, some of which I believe you have to come back for when you have higher-tier techs.

It'd be cool if equipping that suit in your vanity slots had the same effect as having that tech, and let you survive on moons just by wearing an actual spacesuit. (I say equip in your vanity slots because you surely want to keep the stat bonuses of your armor) So then if you really hated the appearance of the space suit - because that kind of thing is important to you - you'd still have the option to just use the tech, instead. Otherwise, people would freak out because they're being forced to wear a specific outfit during any part of the game.

It's a helmet, shirt, pants, and back item, right? I got all of those on my first run through, and I only had double jump and dash.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Anyone figure out what the mystery lever in the moon mission does? Using the wiring tool to peek at the wires it looks like it does something on the lower left side, down to that area where one person posted about trying to fit through a too small hole to get to. I can't figure out if it's doing anything to let me in though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

TheSpookyDanger posted:

It's a helmet, shirt, pants, and back item, right? I got all of those on my first run through, and I only had double jump and dash.

Guess that's just a codex entry then. I know there's supposed to be a room you need morph ball to get into.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

This crew mod just updated to stable. It has a ton of poo poo in it, including some nice quality of life stuff, like a teleporter directly to the quest hub, and flashlight upgrades.

I guess it's sorta like the NPCs in Terrraria, though I haven't tried it yet. There's a Doctor, a Researcher, a Hunter, a Chef, a Mercenary, a Merchant, an Architect, a Scientist, and a First Mate which I guess is like a much more useful guide. She helps you find your other crew members and also gives you a bunch of upgrades, like robots for your back item slot.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

xboxpants are you going to keep that terrible ouya av forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Awesome! posted:

xboxpants are you going to keep that terrible ouya av forever

I consider paying to have a brand of forum shame removed to be one of the most sickening acts humanly possible, second only perhaps to making minor grammatical or semantic errors that undermine your argument.

• Locked thread