Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Hadlock posted:

Amazon has their XBMC Fire TV for $84 shipped right now, 15% off for some reason

Its been that price for a long time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Welp; I bought mine at $99 and it says "limited time offer" :ohdear:

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.
So what's up with Genesis and why is it the go-to vs 1Channel which I've found has way more sources for a given show (COPS for an example).

I will say Genesis seems snappier but when I try 5/5 sources and get nothing I got bored quickly and fired up 1Channel.

I haven't lurked this enough to know, but is projectm/milkdrop not included in the newer releases? I've been running OpenELEC for a long while and when Gotham came around I just never bothered upgrading since it wasn't automatic.

Been running XBMC consistently since XBox days, RasPi, Acer Aspire 1000 nettop, Arctic MC001, and lately some Pivos boxes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Genesis seems to have most things and there are often way more streams.

I'm streaming X files atm and there are shitloads of streams.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
If you go into the context menu, you can select auto-play instead of having to choose a source.

eltoozero posted:

I haven't lurked this enough to know, but is projectm/milkdrop not included in the newer releases? I've been running OpenELEC for a long while and when Gotham came around I just never bothered upgrading since it wasn't automatic.

Nobody has ported/submitted it for ARM builds yet.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=163841&pid=1661930#pid1661930
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=138602&page=2

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 28, 2015

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

I don't see the appeal of having to have both a server app and a client app running to watch my content. Unless you need transcoding, then Plex is the winner.

Personally I find XBMC much more natural to use and way more rewarding. It's addon framework alone makes it leagues above Plex (in my estimation).

Yeah I agree here. My server pc is actually connected to my main TV and I use xbmc/smb there, but the other machines use plex. I also use XBMC on my apple tv because I can't get plex on it afaik.

1. Can I get XBMC to use Plex-transcoded video instead of smb?
2. What plugins would you guys suggest for xbmc? I wrote a few simple ones back in the day, but for years I have run nothing but vanilla xbmc.
3. The name 'kodi' sucks so bad.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tiger.Bomb posted:

3. The name 'kodi' sucks so bad.

Kodi is a horrible name and they also went with a logo for it that was ripped from somewhere else.

I hope in the near future that they give their heads a shake and come up with a better name/logo.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Tiger.Bomb posted:

1. Can I get XBMC to use Plex-transcoded video instead of smb?

This is available using the PleXBMC plugin for Kodi.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I'm new to all this xbmc stuff so I don't really know what the gently caress. But my question is, am I missing some option to play live tv and ppv in HD?

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Krailor posted:

This is available using the PleXBMC plugin for Kodi.

Thank you. Will try it out. Especially on my apple tv which is on wifi and jokes on higher bitrate stuff with smb.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I'm new to all this xbmc stuff so I don't really know what the gently caress. But my question is, am I missing some option to play live tv and ppv in HD?

How are you getting live tv and ppv? I mean, what hardware?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

InfiniteZero posted:

Kodi is a horrible name and they also went with a logo for it that was ripped from somewhere else.

Whats this now?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Whats this now?

http://www.shutterstock.com/s/%22letter+k%22/search.html?page=1&inline=115280695

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Meh, similar, but I could totally believe that it's a coincident.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's only so many ways you can rotate a square, I believe the diamond shape has been tried before in the past so they're not breaking ground here. Similarly using the letter 'K' as a logo isn't breaking ground either; K-Mart has been doing it since at least 1962, I haven't checked, but I think they predate shutterstock by at least a few years.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

My understanding was the use of the name "Kodi" was so they had a 100% unique name that wasn't being used in any other way and didn't incorporate other names such as "Xbox" so that they could trademark it to keep third party sites from using it and confusing the user base. For that purpose, could anyone else think of a name that's better and not as abstract?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I think EMC (Extensible Media Center) would be a decent new name. It sounds like the original so there's some familiarity and it the name tells you what it does.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

serebralassazin posted:

I think EMC (Extensible Media Center) would be a decent new name. It sounds like the original so there's some familiarity and it the name tells you what it does.

EMC is already an registered trade mark.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

EMC though? You haven't heard of EMC? That acronym is well taken in the tech space.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Ah drat should have googled it.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

Thermopyle posted:

How are you getting live tv and ppv? I mean, what hardware?

Sorry, I use a Fire TV.

Bigfabdaddy
Aug 3, 2014

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
XBMC is amazing. I need to look into what i was told in the cutting cable tread, using for streaming FREE stuff from online. Right now i use it as my local player to play remote content i have on my network but that's child's play.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I've been having what i think would be best called microstuttering, it's constant and doesn't stop, plays out like a really fast slideshow. Doesn't matter what kind of file it is, 480p tv, 1080p movies. all exhibit the same behavior. Network and buffer is fine, cpu is ~5% or less (i5 3570/gtx 970, 120hz tv). I read on kodi forums that improper sound settings could cause this, and I found my sound settings had been changed to directsound for some reason, changed it back to wasapi. Seemed to fix it, but then it returned after 20-30 minutes. Sometimes restarting kodi will fix it temporarily, but not anymore, even rebooting the computer doesn't. Disabling hardware accelaration fixed it temporarily but it returned after around 40 minutes. It seems like every couple frames are being dropped or something, but O shows no dropped frames, a few skipped frames (usually ~12) but that number never increases. Video drivers are up to date, running the latest stable version of kodi, 14.1.
I don't know what else to try.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
What framerate is the source content and what are you trying to output it at? Is this on Windows? What decoder is selected in the settings?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Sounds like your framerates may not be in sync between the source and the screen.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

24 I think23.976, was looking at the wrong area, FPS counter in information keeps changing from ~23.5 - ~24.5. I have Adjust refresh rate to match video set to always, and sync disabled.

Windows 7, decoding is set to hardware accelerated, and DXVA 2 enabled.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 30, 2015

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Changing adjust refresh rate to match video to off seems to fix it. Should this to be set to off if I have a 120hz tv?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Does your TV even support 24hz?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tanbo posted:

Changing adjust refresh rate to match video to off seems to fix it. Should this to be set to off if I have a 120hz tv?

Not all TVs can support all refresh rates. A 120hHz tv can display 24fps smoothly because 24fps divides into 120 without a remainder. Not so for 60Hz TVs.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

wolfbiker posted:

Does your TV even support 24hz?

It does, yes, it's the Vizio E601i-A3.

If I go to the desktop and set the refresh rate to 24 myself it plays fine, but adjust refresh just doesn't seem to work. I'll just call it a wash for now, I don't see any issues with it off.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My friend just got setup with SickBeard + SABnzbd + Kodi/XBMC on a Amazon Fire TV. He is running Windows 7.

When he adds a new source with content, the videos load just fine into Kodi/XBMC. When he downloads new episodes in SickBeard, the episodes won't show in Kodi when he clicks "Update Library". If he removes the source and adds the folder again, the new videos pull in just fine.

Any idea why this would be happening? He turned off the Sharing Wizard in Windows 7, he set the drive to have all access to all devices with no password, why would would this issue be occurring?

He's also having issues with certain content not fetching correctly from NZB.su - he can search for it on the website, but SickBeard says "No Episodes Found". He's removed the show, changed the quality settings, and copied over the API and such. His settings match mine perfectly, yet he can't fetch the same things I can. Any ideas?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Did he check the box to include the source when updating?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tanbo posted:

It does, yes, it's the Vizio E601i-A3.

If I go to the desktop and set the refresh rate to 24 myself it plays fine, but adjust refresh just doesn't seem to work. I'll just call it a wash for now, I don't see any issues with it off.

I've had massive headaches in the past when trying to get everything smooth, so don't worry it's not just you. In the end I think I resolved some of it by having the AMD Catslyst software open and when XBMC changed refresh from 60>24, taking it out of full screen and amending it then. It keeps different profiles for different refresh rates. Trial and error with settings in and out of XBMC and persistence seemed to resolve it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Did he check the box to include the source when updating?

I think you mean did he click the box to exclude the source from updates, and no, he didn't select that option.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Tanbo posted:

Did you try setting refresh try to change on playback start/stop only? If the refresh rate changes a lot in the middle of playback your display will likely not keep up.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

So, I'm running OpenELEC, and I'm trying to get RetroArch to work with sound. I've figured out that putting "hw:1,7" should make sound come out of my TV, but no dice.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

serebralassazin posted:

I'm not making fun of you directly, because not everyone would know, but I can't stop laughing after reading this, because it shows how difficult trademarks can be and pretty neatly illustrates exactly why they went with a weird name like "Kodi". As was pointed out a couple days ago, EMC is a giant in the storage technology business :) Just about any generic combination of three-letter names/names with "media" in them are going to have that problem.

Sometimes you just need to go the "Google" route, which was nothing (other than a made up /maybe not made up number for "a lot") not even 15 years ago.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Yea, had I googled it before I posted I would have seen EMC in the storage business as the first result. So, that was laziness on my part. Guessing they went through a bunch of names before sticking with KODI.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

serebralassazin posted:

Yea, had I googled it before I posted I would have seen EMC in the storage business as the first result. So, that was laziness on my part. Guessing they went through a bunch of names before sticking with KODI.

It comes up a lot in Kodi name discussion, it's not just you - lots of people assume they changed the name because they wanted something more descriptive of what the software does than "XBMC". That isn't the case at all - for one, XBMC by itself already came to stand for "media center" over the years, and for another I don't think the diverse, iconoclastic group that makes up the core development team really cares whether people can figure it out from the name or not.

It was really done so they could trademark something, because XBMC could not be, and as a result a lot of opportunists have been piggybacking off the name, or variations on it, often in cheap ploys to drive revenue to their own products. Search the Google Play or MS stores for XBMC for examples

The Kodi foundation isn't profit driven and isn't looking to make money off the software, but they are 100% committed to stopping other people from doing so by leveraging the name. There is still a lot of bad blood between part of the core team and Plex even though most of the Plex software products stopped having anything to do with XBMC-derived code years ago for example. And Plex are the good guys of the bunch, compared to a lot of off-shore fly by night outfits.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Also, the rumor goes that they picked Kodi because it looks (kind of) like media player controls:

Kodi -> KODI -> |◁ ▢ ▷|