Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
That is one gorgeous update. Screenshots wouldn't do it justice, jump in and see for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A fine belated Christmas gift if I do say so myself.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Is there a P2P download or something? None of the links are working for me....

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Is anyone else having trouble getting some of the filter settings in the star browser to work? Filtering by star type works just fine, but not number of stars, or basically any of the planet parameters.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've updated the OP with the new download page and I'll be changing details here and there. I've noticed most of the images I put in the OP are dead so start posting them and I'll add some nice ones to give people a taste of what they'll see.

And gently caress me, time to order a DK2.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Time to dig the dk1 out of storage...

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Game's as pretty as ever. And calling it a game feels as weird as ever, too!

:pcgaming:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

RS 0-2-28-314-10877-7-506589-1264 A1 is the most terrifying double-planet I've ever seen.

The star is only a little cooler than our sun, but they orbit it at only a third the distance of Mercury, and orbit each other in only 8 and a half hours. Oh, and one has a surface temperature hot enough to melt silicon, and the other is hot enough to melt iron. So what are the solid parts made of? I have no idea.

Other things about which I have no idea: How I forgot to turn off orbit markers when taking some of the screenshots.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
actually, the tracers look pretty cool like that imo

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Other things about which I have no idea: How I forgot to turn off orbit markers when taking some of the screenshots.

Space Lasers!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

ExtraNoise posted:

Space Lasers!

What did you think happened when X-Wings and Tie Fighters missed?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Sometimes, you find life in the weirdest, most unexpected places, like on an ocean world less than a light-year from a supermassive black hole. At the right time of year, you can see a lot of the stars around it from the planet even in broad daylight, and at night you can see the gravitational lensing with the naked eye. :stare:

e: \/ The crashing is just as bad, unfortunately, and I'm getting a bug where some planets and moons are completely black, even if I toggle off realistic lighting.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 27, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How is performance with the latest patch? Has the crashing gotten any better? I don't expect it will ever completely go away, but it would be nice to play for more than 10 minutes at a time now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

neogeo0823 posted:

How is performance with the latest patch? Has the crashing gotten any better? I don't expect it will ever completely go away, but it would be nice to play for more than 10 minutes at a time now.

I haven't had any crashes with the new version the frame rate is substantially improved and the terrain loads a lot faster and doesn't hitch up the frame rate that much. The only consistent crashing I get now is trying to go into the display setting to turn on 3D, I was able to do it once but now just going into that menu it will crash so I can't turn it on again.

This is the definitive version of SpaceEngine, unless there's some issues with certain video cards, it runs better, looks better and isn't a crash fest.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I loving love this beautiful goddamn game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Now that is loving cool.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Has anyone found a world where the origin of life wasn't Abiogenesis?

edit: found a gas giant with life from panspermia.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 28, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Hoooow do you people take such wonderful pictures? I get lots of smooth terrain and blocky clouds with seams.

I have a GF 970 with the latest stable drivers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ToastyPotato posted:

Hoooow do you people take such wonderful pictures? I get lots of smooth terrain and blocky clouds with seams.

I have a GF 970 with the latest stable drivers.

Did you set the LOD all the way up to 2?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah. I guess pausing it and just letting it sit there helps a little, but I still see plenty of texture seams and weird clouds.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I usually let it sit until it stops loading but sometimes there are still seams on the planets, clouds it seems to be unavoidable though.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah, volumetric cloud some day will be a huge improvement for the game as a whole.
Also, downloading now goddamn I am psyched, been waiting a while for this... just hoping that textures will now load properly again on my HD 6870 (oh please...)

e: no dice :( guess I will have to wait till I get a new graphics card next year to play again... Asteroid landscape seems to be loading fine but no landscape at all for planets or moons with atmosphere.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 30, 2014

HOTDOG
Apr 2, 2013

El Grillo posted:

Yeah, volumetric cloud some day will be a huge improvement for the game as a whole.
Also, downloading now goddamn I am psyched, been waiting a while for this... just hoping that textures will now load properly again on my HD 6870 (oh please...)

e: no dice :( guess I will have to wait till I get a new graphics card next year to play again... Asteroid landscape seems to be loading fine but no landscape at all for planets or moons with atmosphere.

I thought I was the only one with this bug. My 6950 is starting to show its age :(

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Textures are fine on my 6870 :shrug:

Though it now crashes every time I get near a black hole.

Dekko
May 23, 2007
Probably a dumb question but how do you get those sweet spaceships?

I found one sat in orbit in the system I started in but I wasn't controlling it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

seravid posted:

Though it now crashes every time I get near a black hole.

Try setting EnableMipmapsWarp true // use mipmapping for warp effects rendering to false in config\user.cfg, that fixed it for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dekko posted:

Probably a dumb question but how do you get those sweet spaceships?

I found one sat in orbit in the system I started in but I wasn't controlling it.

Ctrl+F3 and you'll bring up the Space Ship Menu, hit "Build" and you'll select one from a list to spawn. They all look different and are different sizes but I don't know if that impacts how they move. Once you've spawned it right click and it'll say "Take Control" or something, then hell if I know how you're supposed to control it.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I just can't stop taking photos. I feel cursed by beauty.

If someone told me this was a photo of a place on earth, you might have convinced me:

This planet, meanwhile, is as close to its sun as Mercury is to ours. Runaway greenhouse gasses and the sun's higher temperature has turned it into a horrifying 3500°F nightmare. It's so hot you can see a trail of light behind it, like the tail of a comet.

It's not easy being green.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Just reading the planned features for this amazing...thing.

These stuck out:
A closed universe or a universe with a domain structure
Simulation of collision of galaxies
Modeling the evolution of galaxies
Improving the level of detail, reaching of 1 mm per pixel detail
Modeling of continents
Surface components (stones, plants, roads, buildings)
Tectonic plates
Modeling of asteroids collisions with lighting, explosion and the formation of the crater
Holes in the surface (caves, mines)

:stare: This guy is nuts in the best possible way. If he can ever properly do asteroid collisions I'll never play another game because I'll spend all my spare time smashing things into things.

The guy is Russian, right? I can't help but read "The stars floating in the intergalactic space" in the thickest Russian accent.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 9, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think a lot of that planned detail is not really going to be possible for a very, VERY long time. And probably not without a whole lot of help.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Yep, reading that list I thought 'life's work' and even then he could struggle. Also, I doubt even the best desktops today could handle half that stuff, even simplified to death. The ambition is amazing, though, I assumed it was nearly done.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You can also look at his list here http://en.spaceengine.org/index/funding_and_donations/0-26 to see what else he wants to do with the game. Sort of like stretch goals rather than what he will be doing anyways.

That 1mm per pixel detail would be very, very intensive on computers. Even if you have a monster rig today that would bring it to the knees of your computer. That's probably a little too ambitious for todays technology if he keeps on pushing the limits of current technology. Either way, it's very impressive for him to be doing this entire toy on his own.

It's a toy, and not a game right now. $80k would add the game element into the mix rather than the very, very relaxing exploring the cosmos.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 9, 2015

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
So, uh, where do you buy an Oculus Rift and what kind of machine do you actually need to run it?

HOTDOG
Apr 2, 2013
Any chance anyone found a fix for the transparent planet bug? I think another goon had it. Basically nothing with an atmosphere has a surface. Desert, terra, oceanic and titan world's all seem to have this bug. No surface loads at all. I'm sure if gas giants had a "surface" it wouldn't load either. Planets just look like bubbles floating in space with clouds.

Specs if they are relevant:
AMD 8370
ASUS Xhair V formula Z
AMD xfx HD6950 2gb
16gb corsair 1600

Windows 7 64 bit

Edit: reinstalled twice, once from a fresh download of the installer, updated drivers, maxed and min'd the settings.

HOTDOG fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 12, 2015

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Peas and Rice posted:

So, uh, where do you buy an Oculus Rift and what kind of machine do you actually need to run it?

Straight from Oculus. For SpaceEngine you'd probably want a 700 series card if you want to do stereoscopic 3D I would assume.

HOTDOG posted:

Any chance anyone found a fix for the transparent planet bug? I think another goon had it. Basically nothing with an atmosphere has a surface. Desert, terra, oceanic and titan world's all seem to have this bug. No surface loads at all. I'm sure if gas giants had a "surface" it wouldn't load either. Planets just look like bubbles floating in space with clouds.

Specs if they are relevant:
AMD 8370
ASUS Xhair V formula Z
AMD xfx HD6950 2gb
16gb corsair 1600

Windows 7 64 bit

Edit: reinstalled twice, once from a fresh download of the installer, updated drivers, maxed and min'd the settings.

I had this issue with the previous version but it was related to my video card drivers. There was an "unofficial" fix for Nvidia cards since it only effected them. It seems like the problem is now on AMD cards?

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe
There really isn't a pressing need for this anymore since the official download site has direct download links but I've mirrored the latest version.

http://www.exgenesis.com/spaceengine/

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Possibly the prettiest system I've seen.

Two stars, a blue main-sequence 3 times the size of the Sun, and a massive bright red giant 1000 times the size of the Sun which is the most visible night-time star in the sky of hundreds of surrounding star systems:

Orbiting them a lone gas giant, about the size of Jupiter.

It has a moon though, an earth-like world painted purple by the two stars. Amazing vistas.

This is the best thing though, when the gas giant blocks the Suns ...the sky turns blue...

Then black...

Then red...

and then purple again. That's one kickass sky they got there.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

DarkCrawler posted:

Possibly the prettiest system I've seen.

:monocle:

They should have sent a poet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

DarkCrawler posted:

This is the best thing though, when the gas giant blocks the Suns ...the sky turns blue... Then black... Then red... and then purple again. That's one kickass sky they got there.

Given the mythology that originates with our own sun and moon, imagine the kind of gods and myths that would belong to an intelligent civilization of such a world. I mean a massive gas giant and bright suns in very vibrant red and blue, combined with those eclipses... :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
That is loving stunning, great find and shots!

• Locked thread