Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

My questions: is there some underlying desire for these types of catastrophic events? Do non prepping people crave an apocalypse scenario?

It's almost like western society is so bored with the status quo, that we want some reason to return to working for basic survival. That's probably why shows like the Walking Dead are so popular, and zombie poo poo in general is romanticized.

E: I mean think about it, life is a hell of a lot less complicated when your list of things to do for the day is "eat, find shelter, don't die". No worrying about finding meaning in your life, just need to make sure it doesn't end abruptly.

various cheeses fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Or you know, the response to the outbreak stopped it from growing exponentially.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

My questions: is there some underlying desire for these types of catastrophic events? Do non prepping people crave an apocalypse scenario?

AMC's "The Walking Dead" is record-shatteringly popular, often beating out *football* on sunday nights.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Xandu posted:

Or you know, the response to the outbreak stopped it from growing exponentially.

Of course, I'm not trying to imply that the international aid response was overblown in any way, or that the situation was not exceptionally bad. But even the earliest models made clear that the exponential growth figures would be subject to change following (international) intervention. The gap between the often erroneously perceived threat of ebola to global stability and the actual outcome of the epidemic so far could hurt future responses, similar to the ( in my opinion unfounded) backlash against the H1N1 vaccine.

As a schematic, I feel that we went from:

* experts agree that the Ebola epidemic is really bad, but not going to kill everyone, here's a graph of the worst case scenario without intervention* --> *Airborne ebola? Aunt Sue is sure that it will happen in America any moment, because of reasons* --> *Ebola appears to lessen, this must be an error* --> * Ebola scare was fearmongering by pharmaceutical companies, why should we ever believe these scientists again?*

I'd love to blame sensationalist journalism for this disconnect between what was published and what was interpreted, but they actually did quite a passable job. Even fox news acted responsible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2KBfynW09I

Far worse were all the people who had read outbreak and dunning-krugerd their way into applying this book to reality. Maybe poster various cheeses is right that this is due to some underlying wish for simpler post apocalyptic times, regardless of how you communicate with people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Yes, see: the climate change thread.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Far worse were all the people who had read outbreak and dunning-krugerd their way into applying this book to reality. Maybe poster various cheeses is right that this is due to some underlying wish for simpler post apocalyptic times, regardless of how you communicate with people.
Yeah it's probably this, people have a kind of desire to see the apocalypse even if it's like the faint sense of 'what if I jumped' when you're looking over the railing on a building observation deck.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

Yes, see: the climate change thread.

Yeah unfortunately those graphs of atmospheric CO2 concentrations are even more exponential than the ebola graph except the curve is up to the present.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Xandu posted:

The outbreak response did pose a factor, but I think there are numerous problems with the exponential growth model that need to be addressed. In general, while the model does have the advantage of simplicity, it is hugely unrealistic in a large number of ways, and has statistical artifacts that cause issues when it is used for estimation.

1. The assumption of constant r0 is simply garbage in a real world inhomogeneous environment. Early viral spread amongst low-education low sanitation communities can simply not be extrapolated to richer, urban areas, let alone different countries.

2. Nobody actually seems to check whether the outbreak *is* growing exponentially. Over short time intervals, after all, even linear trends can look almost straight when log-transformed. Because people were fixated on log-transformed values, no one even noticed that back in November, we were already having under half the cases the '1 m cases by January' forecast predicted. So using the exponential forecasts, *can we* determine whether we are deviating from the previous trend or not, until so long has passed that the question is irrelevant? The answer seems to be no.

3. There is absolutely no justification from past epidemics that we can extrapolate out that far. Look at for example the spanish flu of 1918, where there *was* no effective outbreak response. Was there an exponential curve that you can neatly extrapolate out to 6 months? Of course not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic#mediaviewer/File:1918_spanish_flu_waves.gif

That ebola was and is a serious threat was true. But I think it's dishonest to claim that we have anything close to the machinery that enables sensible long term forecasts of outbreaks. The horizon on our models simply isn't that far. And we need to recognise that models can be obsoleted by new evidence, and update them to get a clear image of what was going on.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Even fox news acted responsible:

Shep Smith shouldn't be taken as representing Fox News as a whole. I mean Roger Ailes would love you to do that, because Shep gets ratings and provides cover for all the other appalling poo poo.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Look at for example the spanish flu of 1918, where there *was* no effective outbreak response.

Not terribly important for your overall point, but the response wasn't completely ineffective. Some villages in Alaska were able to effectively quarantine, for instance.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Fangz posted:

The outbreak response did pose a factor, but I think there are numerous problems with the exponential growth model that need to be addressed. In general, while the model does have the advantage of simplicity, it is hugely unrealistic in a large number of ways, and has statistical artifacts that cause issues when it is used for estimation.

1. The assumption of constant r0 is simply garbage in a real world inhomogeneous environment. Early viral spread amongst low-education low sanitation communities can simply not be extrapolated to richer, urban areas, let alone different countries.

2. Nobody actually seems to check whether the outbreak *is* growing exponentially. Over short time intervals, after all, even linear trends can look almost straight when log-transformed. Because people were fixated on log-transformed values, no one even noticed that back in November, we were already having under half the cases the '1 m cases by January' forecast predicted. So using the exponential forecasts, *can we* determine whether we are deviating from the previous trend or not, until so long has passed that the question is irrelevant? The answer seems to be no.

I agree completely with your post in general, though some specifics I do disagree with.

1. The actual well published estimations/models all factored in changing R0 values, this is not new information epidemiologist have never considered. They did underestimated the effectiveness of the interventions in reducing the R0.

2. Most of the serious publications ( e.g. not the pieces by physicists dabbling in epidemiology ) heavily underlined the inability of their models to predict far into the future. The WHO for instance refused to predict beyond a month. Moreover, the 1m prediction was for the extremely unlikely worst case scenario. Here's the WHO prediction:

quote:

We estimate that, at the current rate of increase, assuming no changes in control efforts, the cumulative number of confirmed and probable cases by November 2 (the end of week 44 of the epidemic) will be 5740 in Guinea, 9890 in Liberia, and 5000 in Sierra Leone, exceeding 20,000 cases in total

These predictions were not that far off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The real winner here wasn't Ebola, it was MIGF :(

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I died.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

I agree completely with your post in general, though some specifics I do disagree with.

1. The actual well published estimations/models all factored in changing R0 values, this is not new information epidemiologist have never considered. They did underestimated the effectiveness of the interventions in reducing the R0.

2. Most of the serious publications ( e.g. not the pieces by physicists dabbling in epidemiology ) heavily underlined the inability of their models to predict far into the future. The WHO for instance refused to predict beyond a month. Moreover, the 1m prediction was for the extremely unlikely worst case scenario. Here's the WHO prediction:

These predictions were not that far off.

Isn't it generally accepted that everyone locally was lying about the numbers though?

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Pillowpants posted:

Isn't it generally accepted that everyone locally was lying about the numbers though?

No it is not, it is certain some number will have been missed, but these will not be orders of magnitude and probably not attributable to malice.

The government/health authorities lying is something that been implicated by some of SA's more exuberant, making-things-uppy posters and was never, as far as I am aware, a published concern of the WHO/CDC/MSF.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Nessus posted:

The real winner here wasn't Ebola, it was MIGF :(
I dunno, as far as I'm concerned, this thread was a positive experience. I learned a lot about Ebola, had *my* scares dampened, was able to spread the information and references I got here in my social networks. Pretty cool, would repeat with another plague (the part with people dying optional).

In thanks, here's an awesome thing. The NGA released their unclassified information in a single ArcGIS app. They started a month ago, but I haven't seen this here yet.

False Flag Rape
Aug 22, 2013

by Lowtax
Anyone want to start a parody thread where we all pretend to be zimboe-like people and freak out about the 100 million dead due to ebola?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

False Flag Rape posted:

Anyone want to start a parody thread where we all pretend to be zimboe-like people and freak out about the 100 million dead due to ebola?
I don't think parodying zimboe is possible. Dude figured by now everyone in a city would be wearing a hazmat suit for daily business and carefully soaking every doorknob they touched in sanitizer before opening it, and also that everyone in India would be dead from "the E."

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Hmm...I wonder if Ebola is on it's way to becoming a seasonal disease in West Africa?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-31429433

quote:

New Ebola cases show rise for second week in row

The number of new cases of Ebola has risen in all of West Africa's worst-hit countries for the second week in a row, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.

This is the second weekly increase in confirmed cases in 2015, ending a series of encouraging declines.

The WHO said on Wednesday that Sierra Leone had registered 76 of the 144 new cases, Guinea 65 and Liberia three.

More than 9,000 people have died from Ebola since December 2013.

The WHO said that the increase highlights the "considerable challenges" that must still be overcome to end the outbreak.

"Despite improvements in case finding and management, burial practices, and community engagement, the decline in case incidence has stalled," the UN health agency said in a statement.

In another development, US President Barack Obama has said he will withdraw nearly all US troops helping to combat the disease in Liberia.
President Barack Obama speaks about the Ebola outbreak response by the U.S. in West Africa, 11 February 2015 Mr Obama said that the outbreak had been a "wake-up call"

Only 100 of the 2,800 troops would remain in West Africa at the end of April, according to the Associated Press news agency,

Mr Obama said on Wednesday that the withdrawal marked a transition in the fight against the disease in Liberia but did not mean that the mission was over.

"Our focus now is getting to zero," he said.
Unsafe burials

At least 22,800 cases of Ebola have been recorded since the outbreak began, mainly in three countries in West Africa.

In Guinea, efforts to end the outbreak are being hampered by a mistrust of aid workers, particularly in the capital city.

"The main threat to achieving our goal of zero cases in 60 days is this resistance in Conakry," said Dr Sakoba Keita, Guinea's national Ebola response co-ordinator.

Unsafe burial practices continue to be a problem in Sierra Leone. More than 40 unsafe burials were recorded in one week, according to the WHO.

Mourners can catch the disease by touching the highly-contagious bodies of the dead.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Ebola transmitted by sinful thoughts, says new study

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Over the last 4 weeks there have been 120-150 new cases a week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/21/world/africa/leaders-of-ebola-fight-at-un-express-worry-about-eradication.html?_r=0

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

What a mess

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/14/us-health-ebola-usa-idUSKBN0MA0UC20150314

At least 10 U.S. citizens possibly exposed to the deadly Ebola virus were being flown to the United States from Africa for observation, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Saturday.

The individuals will be transported by non-commercial air transport and will be housed near the University of Nebraska Medical Center, the National Institutes of Health in Maryland, or Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, the CDC said.

It said none of the individuals have been identified as having Ebola.

A U.S. healthcare worker who tested positive for Ebola while in Sierra Leone arrived at the NIH on Friday and was in serious condition, the NIH said.

CDC spokesman Thomas Skinner said 10 people who may have been exposed to the unidentified Ebola patient or who had a similar exposure to the virus as the patient were being flown to the United States. But he said the investigation was continuing and there may be more Americans evacuated from Africa.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Are there details available regarding the exposure?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

No, very vague. Probably means someone hosed up.

"10 people who may have been exposed to the unidentified Ebola patient or who had a similar exposure to the virus as the patient "

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Did anyone ever get around to testing a vaccine?

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

Did anyone ever get around to testing a vaccine?

Several are ongoing, the low prevalence in the last couple of months does make it more difficult to test.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Several are ongoing, the low prevalence in the last couple of months does make it more difficult to test.

How do clinical trials work with something like an ebola vaccine? I was at a parasitology conference the other day and they were talking about infecting healthy volunteers with malaria to test antimalarials. I assume they definitely don't do that with ebola.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I wouldn't think they do that with malaria!

They test the vaccine on healthy volunteers first to make sure it's safe. Then I think they'll generally do controlled trials in at-risk populations (like say, healthcare workers) and compare infection rates.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Xandu posted:

I wouldn't think they do that with malaria!

I was quite surprised too. I work on much more basic aspects of pathogen biology and had no idea they did that kind of stuff downstream. Nonetheless, I'm at least 90% sure that's what they said they did. The clearance curves they had were as good as artimesinin, much longer maintaince of active concentration in the blood to. But like all of these things, who know's if they'll ever get market.

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

CottonWolf posted:

I was quite surprised too. I work on much more basic aspects of pathogen biology and had no idea they did that kind of stuff downstream. Nonetheless, I'm at least 90% sure that's what they said they did. The clearance curves they had were as good as artimesinin, much longer maintaince of active concentration in the blood to. But like all of these things, who know's if they'll ever get market.

It (controlled human infections) is something they do quite a lot actually, especially with Malaria because it is decently treatable. The standard if I recall correctly is to let someone get bitten by 5 infected mosquito's and start treatment the moment they can make the diagnosis of malaria.

They don't do controlled infections with Ebola for obvious reasons, that's why RCT's are so hard to perform for this disease and more open label studies are performed. Vaccines that have been shown to induce antibody's to ebola in healthy volunteers are given to at risk populations ( think health care workers) and they receive one out of the 2 possible vaccinations as per randomisation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

A story on structural problems in the WHO relating to the outbreak, from a reporter I usually find highly reliable. What are folks' thoughts? I'm thinking of you especially, Rahm.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

A story on structural problems in the WHO relating to the outbreak, from a reporter I usually find highly reliable. What are folks' thoughts? I'm thinking of you especially, Rahm.

I'm not quite sure what sort of argument the author is trying to make with regards to the WHO, specifically. She partly seems to be trying to counter the argument that the WHO is underfunded, but one of the links in the first sentence discusses how the WHO's real budget has increasing been filled by private entities with earmarked donations, and how it's administrative budget was slashed in 2011. She follows this up by posting a development assistance for health (DAH) spending chart showing the WHO's health spending going from ~$1 billion in 1990 to ~$2 billion in 2009-2013, which she calls a "massive increase". She also calls this "WHO funding", despite the chart showing the WHO's health spending rather that budget.

I'm not convinced that this chart really counters the assertion that the WHO is underfunded, since it
a) shows only modest increase in WHO's health spending,
b) shows the WHO's health spending as relatively constant 2011-2013, meaning the WHO massively cut its administrative budget while maintaining health spending, and
c) if the WHO's health spending has remained relatively constant in the face of increasing earmarked funding, I can see how resources available for outbreak response may have decreased.

All of this doesn't mean that budget really is the heart of the WHO's issue - I'm just not convinced by the author's assertion that the DAH spending chart show that the WHO's budget is not an issue.

She also talks about how the WHO's proportion of total DAH spending has decreased, outpaced by other agencies. This is interesting, and I''d love to see a breakdown of how the different agencies target their spending (it's probably somewhere in the IHME report). I'd also love to see more discussion as to how the WHO's role as an international health leader might change, and what sort of internal reforms it might (or should) undertake.

The article didn't discuss any actual details of the WHO's structural issues. If you have any other links to what those issues might be, I'd love to take a look at them!

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Was she accounting for inflation>

$1 billion in 1990 dollars is $1.8 billion in 2013 dollars, so $2 billion is certainly a MASSIVE increase :rolleyes:

I have no particular love for the WHO, but it frustrates me to no end when people compare apples to oranges that way.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ohgodwhat posted:

Was she accounting for inflation>

$1 billion in 1990 dollars is $1.8 billion in 2013 dollars, so $2 billion is certainly a MASSIVE increase :rolleyes:

I have no particular love for the WHO, but it frustrates me to no end when people compare apples to oranges that way.

I think the chart already accounts for inflation, so $1 billion to $2 billion. Which is an increase, but tough to call massive when considered in the changing scope of health spending between 1990 and 2013.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That's about my take too- the post is quite incoherent. Belluz is quite good on a number of topics, this was pretty disappointing.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

Nessus posted:

I don't think parodying zimboe is possible. Dude figured by now everyone in a city would be wearing a hazmat suit for daily business and carefully soaking every doorknob they touched in sanitizer before opening it, and also that everyone in India would be dead from "the E."

No one is parody-proof. There are only degrees of parody resistance.

A scale, if you will.

9.2/10 is me.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
You know what's really horrible about Ebola? Profit-oriented coal companies!

quote:

Public health experts involved in the response to the Ebola crisis have condemned what they described as a ludicrous, insulting and opportunistic attempt to exploit the disease for corporate gain by the world’s largest privately-held coal company.

As part of a PR offensive to rebrand coal as a “21st-century fuel” that can help solve global poverty, it has emerged that at the height of Ebola’s impact in Africa, Peabody Energy promoted its product as an answer to Africa’s devastating public health crisis.

Greg Boyce, the chief executive of Peabody, a US-based multinational with mining interests around the world, included a slide on Ebola and energy in a presentation to a coal industry conference in September last year. The slide suggested that more energy would have spurred the distribution of a hypothetical Ebola vaccine – citing as supporting evidence a University of Pennsylvania infectious disease expert.

Meanwhile, the medical expert cited by Peabody to support its claims told the Guardian he had never heard of the company – and that it had got his name wrong.

“There is no apparent merit or evidence to support such a thesis,” said Irwin Redlener, director of Columbia University’s National Centre for Disaster Preparedness, and an advisor to the White House on the US response to Ebola. “Peabody has very specific and explicit corporate goals. I think this is a pretty far fetched leap from a global crisis to try to justify the existence of a company that is interested in producing and selling coal.”

Peabody denied it was using the Ebola crisis for its own gain. “Mr Boyce was simply noting that a lack of electricity dramatically impaired the ability to fight Ebola in key nations that have little energy access and where hospitals rely on generators for power,” Vic Svec, the company’s senior vice-president for global investor and corporate relations told the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/may/19/peabody-energy-exploited-ebola-crisis-for-corporate-gain-say-health-experts

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Stickman posted:

I think the chart already accounts for inflation, so $1 billion to $2 billion. Which is an increase, but tough to call massive when considered in the changing scope of health spending between 1990 and 2013.

Worth noting that world GDP increased by 174% in that period, while US health expenditure increased by over 250%.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
http://mbio.asm.org/content/6/3/e00565-15.full

A new study (in mice) showing that the Ebola virus (and probably other related viruses such as Marburg) can be stopped from entering cells and replicating by inhibiting a cholesterol transport protein, NPC1. This seems a promising development for future treatments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

It appears we may have something worse than Ebola to worry about : there seems to be a large outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome in South Korea. The amount of infected reached 100 in three weeks with 7 deaths until this point.

Not strictly on topic, but couldn't find a better thread.

• Locked thread