Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

wheez the roux posted:

gently caress that no its not, loving the broncos lifeless corpse is one of the most satisfying football memories of my life

same. i really miss good mcfadden. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Running up the score on Idaho was also Extremely Satisfying

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I was referring to the NFL with my question about running up the score. Being that it is a business, I would assume "good sportsmanship", "professional courtesy", and "feelings" don't matter when it came to marketing a team and the slim chance that a playoff spot is decided by PF/PA.

Deteriorata posted:

Also, players get frustrated and will tend to foul deliberately and cause injuries and start fights when they're incapable of stopping the other team legally. It's generally better not to provoke such reactions in the first place.

Good point.

Deteriorata posted:

When it's clear to everyone that you're the better team and could score at will, it doesn't really gain you anything to go ahead and do it. It just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat, like beating up on a cripple.

In the NFL, does that really factor in? Fans are pretty diehard, so I would think that being a dominant team would outweigh being an rear end in a top hat and beating up on a cripple. I don't know any Seahawks fans that felt bad about the last Superbowl.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

With professionals, I have no problem running up the score. They're paid to be out there. There's enough parity among the teams that they should be able to mount some sort of defense regardless of the situation.

I draw the line with amateurs. There are often huge disparities in talent, and many players are still learning the game. College, High School, and youth ball are the Not Cool zone for running up the score for me.

You should always run up the score in rivalry games. Or to make sure a team knows their place like Jim Tressel did to Northwestern.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SkunkDuster posted:

I was referring to the NFL with my question about running up the score. Being that it is a business, I would assume "good sportsmanship", "professional courtesy", and "feelings" don't matter when it came to marketing a team and the slim chance that a playoff spot is decided by PF/PA.

You also don't want a reputation as a dickhead. Next year you might be looking for a job, or trying to recruit the very same players and coaches you humiliated. The NFL is not a very big place, some of those weirdos take poo poo really personally.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Chichevache posted:

You also don't want a reputation as a dickhead. Next year you might be looking for a job, or trying to recruit the very same players and coaches you humiliated. The NFL is not a very big place, some of those weirdos take poo poo really personally.

as mike leach would say: gently caress em

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

wheez the roux posted:

Running up the score on Idaho was also Extremely Satisfying

Are you the sort of dude that would dunk on a ten year old, then shove him and yell "suck it, bitch" because that's basically what running up the score on Idaho is

I can barely conceptualize the idea of an NFL team running up the score because the loser is still relatively capable. Since 1966, there's only 13 games that crossed the 50+ MOV line. Ohio State and Penn State alone combined for 15 games like that in the same timeframe.

Of course, the other major concern is the question of "at what point are you in permanent in the lead, and therefore anything beyond that is running up the score?" I think that once you're 28 points its unlikely that you're going to blow that completely and once you cross 35 its almost impossible to lose.

Oh, and the game is definitely over when the losing team starts putting backups because those guys definitely aren't going to stop you

Sash! fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 31, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

Are you the sort of dude that would dunk on a ten year old, then shove him and yell "suck it, bitch" because that's basically what running up the score on Idaho is
Are you not?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Jimmy Johnson ran the score up at Miami and it owned until God's Son Joe Paterno came in and taught him a lesson.

Still landed him a pretty sweet pro gig.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

You should always run up the score in rivalry games. Or to make sure a team knows their place like Jim Tressel did to Northwestern.

the very same Jim Tressel who is the only Ohio State coach to lose to Northwestern in about 40 years. Thanks for playing Justin Zwick, champ.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

well you do get to do it once to teach the kid what life is like

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

the very same Jim Tressel who is the only Ohio State coach to lose to Northwestern in about 40 years. Thanks for playing Justin Zwick, champ.

I know, that's why he had to mercilessly crush them in every ensuing game.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Sash! you better hope MourningView doesn't read this thread or you're dead mister.

dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3bUb72KzFA

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Sash! posted:

I can barely conceptualize the idea of an NFL team running up the score because the loser is still relatively capable. Since 1966, there's only 13 games that crossed the 50+ MOV line. Ohio State and Penn State alone combined for 15 games like that in the same timeframe.

Of course, the other major concern is the question of "at what point are you in permanent in the lead, and therefore anything beyond that is running up the score?" I think that once you're 28 points its unlikely that you're going to blow that completely and once you cross 35 its almost impossible to lose.

Oh, and the game is definitely over when the losing team starts putting backups because those guys definitely aren't going to stop you

my niece is good at basketball but i dunked all over my nephewwith my sister/his aunt because he's a little poo poo and we all know it so we had a character building lesson

also the hawks clobbering the cards 58-0 was freakin great, like sbxviii

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What people that know their poo poo generally think about R. Wilson? A pretty good mobile QB? Asking because I've read lots of extreme opinions on him this season.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Russell Wilson is basically a tubby suburban dad who thinks Longhorn Steakhouse is the pinnacle of restaurantery and is fascinated by Ron Paul, placed inside of a kinda black man's body

Russell Wilson knows what time local radio does the traffic and weather and tunes in every day and has a preset for the bass/treble so he can hear Holly Copter's voice perfectly

Russell Wilson hates the smell of weed

Russell Wilson buys the Seventh Generation dish soap because the Gulf of Mexico is all kinds of hosed up because of chemicals

Russell Wilson doesn't give money to the homeless because that would be enabling a lifestyle that is damaging for them. He has memorized the location of a nearby homeless shelter and he recites it to the poor people he passes on the street

Russell Wilson gets dismayed when his friends' dogs bark or whine which they do all the time because he reeks of cologne

Russell Wilson took ballroom dance lessons in college and manages to exhibit his talents every opportunity he gets

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VisAbsoluta posted:

What people that know their poo poo generally think about R. Wilson? A pretty good mobile QB? Asking because I've read lots of extreme opinions on him this season.

Seems like a pretty good quarterback to me. I wasn't aware that this was controversial.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
From the Super Bowl Thread:

JohnSherman posted:

This is probably going to get lost in the shuffle but how do you guys gif these things so quickly?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Wizardry.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

And twitter.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

swickles posted:

And twitter.

Same thing, really.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

How come the center can move his head around and stuff and that doesn't count as a false start because it looks like it is

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sash! posted:

How come the center can move his head around and stuff and that doesn't count as a false start because it looks like it is

Center gets to call line protections. That's why you'll see them pointing at dudes on defense and things like that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

As long as he's not doing stuff that looks like he's snapping the ball he's OK.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
All the offensive linemen move a whole lot more than I would think they are allowed to move

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Why are linemen not allowed to simulate the start of a play, but the quarterback can? Seems like a double standard.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

A false start is defined as a quick, jerky movement (by any Team A player including the QB; in theory knee bends and head bobs on a hard count are false starts, but often the NFL likes to let them do that because reasons) that simulates the start of the play. If it's not both of those things, it's not a false start. Linemen do not have to remain rock still. The example I like to use is of legitimate movement is a center in shotgun with a silent count - he starts looking between his legs for the QB, and then often does make a quick movement to get his head up before snapping the ball, but it can't simulate the start of the play because he's never going to snap the ball until after he's looking forward to see what's about to hit him, and any defender who tries to beat the ball by keying on the head lift deserves every offside penalty that he gets.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

re: Running up the score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ83nnODDjs

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Hahahaha holy poo poo I'd never seen that before, that was ridiculous and amazing. Thanks for that.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
RE: running up the score:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1916_Cumberland_vs._Georgia_Tech_football_game

Don't piss off John Heisman.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:laffo: You know what, screw standings. The playoffs should be entirely based on point differential.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Volkerball posted:

:laffo: You know what, screw standings. The playoffs should be entirely based on point differential.

I almost agree. It should be 3rd after W-L% and divisional W-L%. So much craziness to be had.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rooster Brooster posted:

I almost agree. It should be 3rd after W-L% and divisional W-L%. So much craziness to be had.

Those 2 games are basically the greatest 2 games played at the same time in NFL history. Changing the tiebreakers to common opponent record and SoS and SoV was dumb.

Hell look at what baseball did after its greatest four simultaneous Game 162s ever when the Braves and Red Sox both managed to blow their playoff chances on the same day. They thought it was so awesome they added another wild card so they could do it every year and those games are great.

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 19, 2015

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

If the rule to defensive PI changes to 15 yards instead of spot of the fault, what would prevent DBs from comitting it every single time they think a deep pass will be completed?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

VisAbsoluta posted:

If the rule to defensive PI changes to 15 yards instead of spot of the fault, what would prevent DBs from comitting it every single time they think a deep pass will be completed?

A 15 yard penalty and automatic 1st down.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

If a deep pass is likely to be completed, often the receiver has already run past the corner and no interference is possible.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

VisAbsoluta posted:

This is what the rule is for every other level of football and it works just fine. I hate this argument from NFL guys. It's fine if the NFL wants to have the rule be a spot penalty, but that isn't historically what has been done, or what other levels do and they have gotten along just fine. It won't ruin, or even really appreciably change the game if they go to 15 yards.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

drunk leprechaun posted:

This is what the rule is for every other level of football and it works just fine. I hate this argument from NFL guys. It's fine if the NFL wants to have the rule be a spot penalty, but that isn't historically what has been done, or what other levels do and they have gotten along just fine. It won't ruin, or even really appreciably change the game if they go to 15 yards.

Who cares if it does change the game anyway? The most you could say is that it slightly favors the defense if you change it, and I'm sure all the non-Ravens fans here agree that a little help for defenses would not be a bad thing.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

drunk leprechaun posted:

I see. It isn't even an argument that I've read somewhere, just something dumb that I thought.

Thanks guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
What tends to happen in college is guys don't realize they're beat/think they can still make a play until it's too late. Maybe the NFL corners will be good enough to recognize earlier or game this in some fashion but I doubt it.

• Locked thread