Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Opal posted:

Anyone else unable to get the Crematorium to work? I feel like I've tried everything. It has both bills active set to Forever, it has power. If there's a grave they take the corpses there and if there isn't it says there's no place to store the corpse. What gives?

Does it accept human corpses? Not sure but it may be set to only cremate animals or something. When I was playing with the zombie mod the zombies weren't in there by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Another Tale system screenie:

Drop pod rhino invaders from space sounds freakin awesome! :awesomelon:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Opal posted:

Anyone else unable to get the Crematorium to work? I feel like I've tried everything. It has both bills active set to Forever, it has power. If there's a grave they take the corpses there and if there isn't it says there's no place to store the corpse. What gives?

Do you have a dumping pile set to accept corpses? I had a crematorium set up that worked pretty well with a small dumping stockpile nearby strictly for corpses. Dead invaders would get dumped there, then the colonists would haul them to the crematorium if I right clicked it and selected prioritize.

I do wish that colonists would get desensitized to corpses after a while though, or suffer less of a penalty for having to wade through the killing zone, stripping and hauling bodies. It sucks when I have 5 free colonists who can strip and haul, but 3 of them are about to snap because they observed a corpse X15 and have lost the will to live. It just prolongs the task of cleaning and repairing and sorting, with the added bonus of potentially losing a colonist, which sucks.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

When's the last time you updated? There was a bug with that, which was hotfixed very late in December. I think the current version is alpha8f.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
The Embrasures mod that's a portion of Enhanced Defense is also good, giving you viewports to shoot through.

Makes dealing with crashed ships easy enough.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tommofork posted:

When's the last time you updated? There was a bug with that, which was hotfixed very late in December. I think the current version is alpha8f.

quote:

Hotfix for ‘saw corpse’ thought

Posted December 29th, 2014 by Tynan Sylvester

The ‘saw corpse’ thought is stacking far too high because of a bug. In cases where there are lots of corpses, it can reach absurd levels and make it nearly impossible to keep colonists sane.

The fix is only one line in a single file. You can do it yourself:
1.Go to the directory (RimWorldDirectory)/Mods/Core/Defs/ThoughtDefs
2.Edit the file Thoughts_Memories.xml
3.Go to the “ObservedLayingCorpse” mood effect (usually line 173 to 189). (Usually it’s easiest to do this by hitting Ctrl+F to search for ObservedLayingCorpse).
4.Change the line “<stackedEffectMultiplier>1</stackedEffectMultiplier>” to “<stackedEffectMultiplier>0.5</stackedEffectMultiplier>”

I’ve also uploaded a fixed version. So, if you wish, you can also just re-download the game from your existing download link.

Saved games won’t be affected either way.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Koobze posted:

Does it accept human corpses? Not sure but it may be set to only cremate animals or something. When I was playing with the zombie mod the zombies weren't in there by default.

neogeo0823 posted:

Do you have a dumping pile set to accept corpses? I had a crematorium set up that worked pretty well with a small dumping stockpile nearby strictly for corpses. Dead invaders would get dumped there, then the colonists would haul them to the crematorium if I right clicked it and selected prioritize.

I'll try both of these and see what happens.

My game has started crashing frequently since I installed some mods but it's irritatingly difficult to troubleshoot since so much is going on at the same time. It's next to impossible to narrow it down to a particular event. I'm trying to look at the logfiles but I honestly can't find any references to the actual error. I know I got a debug window in the game itself once but don't know how to get it back. Any ideas where to start on this?

I'm using EdBInterface, edBPrepareCarefully, Guns+, MoreDeco and MoreHair.

Opal fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 23, 2015

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Go to options and turn on Debug mode. There's an option for the log window

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

With all the tales and now engraving weapons (not to mention booze and addiction) I really want the next alpha.

quote:

Jan 22
Added hops, brewing and beer. Started work on intoxication, addiction.
Added ‘low expectations’ and ‘high expectations’ mood modifiers.
Added command to make trade beacon automatically generate a matching stockpile.
Refactoring and optimizations to health system.

Jan 21
Finished up new sculpture sizes with different art.
High-quality guns can have engravings on them.
Added tales: created artwork, struck ore
Game can now generate random artwork descriptions not relating to any particular tale when necessary (e.g. for art on enemies’ weapons).

marumaru
May 20, 2013

After the storyteller destroyed me three colonies in a row, I'm taking a break til next update. It sounds awesome.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
My game stopped crashing after I launched my colonists into space and started a new one. Suspect it was down to conflicts because of added mods mid-game.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Opal posted:

My game stopped crashing after I launched my colonists into space and started a new one. Suspect it was down to conflicts because of added mods mid-game.

The EdB Mod Loader might help solve this by fiddling around with load orders.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know how to delete squads with the Battle Stations mod? :x

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tony Montana posted:

Does anyone know how to delete squads with the Battle Stations mod? :x

I effort posted about this a while back. It's a hassle, and I personally wouldn't put up with battlestations. The creator hasn't answered how to delete squads or updated their mod in over two weeks despite posting other mods.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598337&pagenumber=39&perpage=40#post440037483

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Oh, that's why. It's a JuliaEllie mod. She just shits out a ton of low-effort, low-content mods that rarely if ever get updated.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Is there a mod that lets you use a handcart or wheelbarrow or something to transport multiple items at once? Like, even if it would only fit 3 pieces or clothing or weapons or whatever it would be a huge help. I'm sick of slaughtering a siege attack at the edge of the map only to have to decide whether to leave the loot there, pick up only the important things or have several of my colonists permanently on haul duty, never finishing their jobs because before I've cleaned up one attack the next is coming.

It's such a mess, especially on larger maps.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Taeke posted:

Is there a mod that lets you use a handcart or wheelbarrow or something to transport multiple items at once? Like, even if it would only fit 3 pieces or clothing or weapons or whatever it would be a huge help. I'm sick of slaughtering a siege attack at the edge of the map only to have to decide whether to leave the loot there, pick up only the important things or have several of my colonists permanently on haul duty, never finishing their jobs because before I've cleaned up one attack the next is coming.

It's such a mess, especially on larger maps.

honestly, I will be happy once the colonists automatically pick up as many of an object as they can nearby, it sucks having a pile of meals you can never un-forbid, because your dudes will walk across the map to eat one, then pick up at most one more to take back, instead of scooping up all ten of them.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

this game needs vehicles.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

crabrock posted:

this game needs vehicles.

And animal husbandry. I want to tame a couple muffalo to help plow my potato farm.
Oh god, what have I become?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'd like it if animals bred and were a bit more loosely spread out than they currently are. My last map, all the muffalo and deer were huddled in the southwestern corner of my large map, while I had taken up residence in the northeastern corner. Sure, I got the random squirrel or whatever that wandered over, but hunting in that map required a cabin to be built in that corner with a bed specifically for my hunter, who became useless for anything else while out there. That, combined with how slowly animals trickled in made anything other than simple meals with potatoes and berries a luxury in my camp.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

neogeo0823 posted:

I'd like it if animals bred and were a bit more loosely spread out than they currently are. My last map, all the muffalo and deer were huddled in the southwestern corner of my large map, while I had taken up residence in the northeastern corner. Sure, I got the random squirrel or whatever that wandered over, but hunting in that map required a cabin to be built in that corner with a bed specifically for my hunter, who became useless for anything else while out there. That, combined with how slowly animals trickled in made anything other than simple meals with potatoes and berries a luxury in my camp.

Welcome to the nature of herd animals, and how hunting traditionally worked in the past.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gibbo posted:

Welcome to the nature of herd animals, and how hunting traditionally worked in the past.

How did they handle the squirrel waves?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah that sounds pretty cool tbh.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

sebmojo posted:

Yeah that sounds pretty cool tbh.

Don't get me wrong, it was neat the first time I had to get everything set up, but by the 3rd or 4th time I'd have to send my hunter on his expeditions, it became tedious. Mostly it was the fact that the map size made the journey there take almost a whole day, especially because I couldn't really get a food stockpile set up at the campsite to effectively feed the hunter. So I'd waste a whole day to get the hunter in their bed out there, then spend the next day ineffectually plinking away at one animal or another, and then each animal killed would require another day to haul it back to home base. It ended up basically being a huge time sink for this one guy, who kept getting progressively grumpier at sleeping in a cabin instead of his luxuriously air conditioned bedroom, who was constantly hungry because he had no nearby food source, and the whole thing made meat gathering a chore.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Didn't you have any raiders? Meat is meat...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dunno-Lars posted:

Didn't you have any raiders? Meat is meat...

Yeah, but I guess my colony was filled with pansies because they all really seemed to hate the human meat meals, especially my cook, who was Too Smart for their own good.

I'd be totally fine using human meat if there was a mod or something that desensitized the colonists over time to seeing corpses and eating human meat.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

I'd be totally fine using human meat if there was a mod or something that desensitized the colonists over time to seeing corpses and eating human meat.

I made a colony with only cannibals and the dudes that joined along really ruined it. I wish that was a mod.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tommofork posted:

I effort posted about this a while back. It's a hassle, and I personally wouldn't put up with battlestations. The creator hasn't answered how to delete squads or updated their mod in over two weeks despite posting other mods.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598337&pagenumber=39&perpage=40#post440037483

Ah, thanks man.

Leif. posted:

Oh, that's why. It's a JuliaEllie mod. She just shits out a ton of low-effort, low-content mods that rarely if ever get updated.

Mm. With Battlestations if you push both Ctrls at the same time you get a bug where her tooltips overwrite each other. I also find how it lists the groups and their hotkey above each colonist really loving obtrusive (can you turn this off in anyway? perhaps editing a config somehwere?).

It's a great idea as a mod and even the sound effects don't annoy me yet, but I'm leaning toward what Tommofork said and ditching Battlestations and avoiding Julia in future.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

ReverendCode posted:

And animal husbandry. I want to tame a couple muffalo to help plow my potato farm.
Oh god, what have I become?

There's a mod that lets you tame and breed animals, though I don't think you can work them.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, but I guess my colony was filled with pansies because they all really seemed to hate the human meat meals, especially my cook, who was Too Smart for their own good.

Save edit everyone into cannibal psychopaths, or do what I did: remove all negative mood penalties for butchering, cooking with and eating humans. Also, it takes a tiny bit less space in the fridge if you butcher the corpses versus storing whole bodies. Overall more space if you count the leather, but you can sell that or make clothes out of it. Dress everyone in a full set of human leather clothes for full on psycho.
Make a room for food with a cooler set to below 0 C, and food will never spoil.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm playing a colony now that started with a single high skill android who sometimes takes on a human minion but mostly constructs her own mobile ai friends. Early game, keeping her uninjured until I had a MAI to heal her, was surprisingly challenging. Food is basically a non issue because only the original and her human minions need food, but getting the resources to make more androids is a nice challenge.

Izzus
Mar 14, 2014

Taeke posted:

I'm playing a colony now that started with a single high skill android who sometimes takes on a human minion but mostly constructs her own mobile ai friends. Early game, keeping her uninjured until I had a MAI to heal her, was surprisingly challenging. Food is basically a non issue because only the original and her human minions need food, but getting the resources to make more androids is a nice challenge.

There's an android mod?
I couldn't find it on Google or the Ludeon forums.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Izzus posted:

There's an android mod?
I couldn't find it on Google or the Ludeon forums.

It's included in the Epyk Pack and you can find the original here as Misc with MAI.

You basically research a device (which requires uranium to build) that creates an android body for a price, which you can then activate as either a standard MAI which starts with 5 in each stat and has nothing special, I think, or you include an AI core to increase all its starting stats and give every skill two flames, as well as making it a bit more resilient, I think. Both require plasteel and other stuff, neither can do social stuff I think, although they can be doctors. Most useful skills require some research before you activate your MAI for them to have it, such as cooking, doctoring, etc. It also adds the Android trait which permanently sets mood to 100, so they can't panic and don't care about anything. They require a special pod to recharge with an addon for repairs (which also takes plasteel), and can explode when damaged too much or their energy runs out.

It's a lot of fun, and in my experience quite balanced, because while you can create a 'perfect' colonist it requires quite a bit of resources/time/effort while it's much easier to just capture and recruit people. Reading up on it, it also requires a crafting level of 9 but because I started my colony with a selfmade all skills at 15 colonist I hadn't noticed.

Opal
May 10, 2005

neogeo0823 posted:

Don't get me wrong, it was neat the first time I had to get everything set up, but by the 3rd or 4th time I'd have to send my hunter on his expeditions, it became tedious. Mostly it was the fact that the map size made the journey there take almost a whole day, especially because I couldn't really get a food stockpile set up at the campsite to effectively feed the hunter. So I'd waste a whole day to get the hunter in their bed out there, then spend the next day ineffectually plinking away at one animal or another, and then each animal killed would require another day to haul it back to home base. It ended up basically being a huge time sink for this one guy, who kept getting progressively grumpier at sleeping in a cabin instead of his luxuriously air conditioned bedroom, who was constantly hungry because he had no nearby food source, and the whole thing made meat gathering a chore.

Since they're all bunched up I just draft a colonist and have him kill all of them at once, then unforbid the corpses and wait for my haulers to file out and pick them up. Works great. I've given up on automatic hunting.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
If you have a mod that gives great melee weapons*, as in one hit kill on animals with good melee skill, Ive found melee hunters to work great. Unless it turns out they have skin like tissue will regularly get incaped by animals :doh:

*havent tried vanilla high quality steel/plastisteel melee weapons for this yet

Izzus
Mar 14, 2014

Taeke posted:

It's included in the Epyk Pack and you can find the original here as Misc with MAI.

You basically research a device (which requires uranium to build) that creates an android body for a price, which you can then activate as either a standard MAI which starts with 5 in each stat and has nothing special, I think, or you include an AI core to increase all its starting stats and give every skill two flames, as well as making it a bit more resilient, I think. Both require plasteel and other stuff, neither can do social stuff I think, although they can be doctors. Most useful skills require some research before you activate your MAI for them to have it, such as cooking, doctoring, etc. It also adds the Android trait which permanently sets mood to 100, so they can't panic and don't care about anything. They require a special pod to recharge with an addon for repairs (which also takes plasteel), and can explode when damaged too much or their energy runs out.

It's a lot of fun, and in my experience quite balanced, because while you can create a 'perfect' colonist it requires quite a bit of resources/time/effort while it's much easier to just capture and recruit people. Reading up on it, it also requires a crafting level of 9 but because I started my colony with a selfmade all skills at 15 colonist I hadn't noticed.

Oh drat okay. I did a bunch of searches with the word "android", must be why I couldn't find it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mechanical Defense 2 also adds droids, they're far more specific though, only being able to use 2 skills each. But they start with either 10 or 15 in their respective skills, as well as 2 flames.

Lots of separate droids there, Grower bots, Builders, Medics, Crafters, etc.
And they run on electricity, needing to return to charge stations every once in a while. ( Also an incinerator-bot that can roam the map and strip+cremate bodies. )

Although the MD2 mod is kinda unbalanced/OP, I had multiple droids running around early in Year 2. And the mod also added automatic ore drillers that cost 1250 steel to make. ( 250 for a machine to make a fissure, then 1000 for the driller. ) and each spits out like 50-100 steel a day.

It also adds some neat stuff like MECHANICAL WALLS that you can lower, and 2-tile storage units that can store 1000-2000 units of an item, which is pretty nice if you've got obscene amounts of wood and just want to stockpile it.

( https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7380.0 )

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Izzus posted:

Oh drat okay. I did a bunch of searches with the word "android", must be why I couldn't find it.

I'm interested to hear what you think after you've played a game with it. It's really quite fun, in my experience, and while it's a bit high tech compared to vanilla it fits in nicely (thematically speaking) once you've got a bunch of other more high tech mods installed (like being able to craft your own bionics and stuff.)

I've found that vanilla feels a bit discordant tech-level wise. It was touched upon earlier in this thread, but it never made sense to me you can build wind powered generators, automatically aiming turrets and the likes, but turning rock into bricks needs research. Installing a shitload of mods kind of levels things out a bit, thematically. You're still a bunch of survivors crashing down on a planet but you've at least got a general sense of all the technologies you're familiar with (I mean, it's not like you're a tribe of natives) and it only takes a bit of figuring stuff out to get it working.

I mean, I'm no engineer or scientist or whatever, but I've learned the basics of how a light bulb works. Give me someone who can make different kinds of wires, someone who can blow glass the right way and an energy source and I'm pretty sure I'd be able to tinker my way to a working source of light within a year. Give me another year and I've 'perfected' it to something actually usable.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

some of the mods that seem cool are really annoying because they attempt to be so overpowered that you can't get the simple features you'd like. 2000 storage? a little overkill. constant steel generation? might as well have your dad beat the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
There's one mod (Minami, I think) that adds something called the C.H.E.S.T, an advanced storage device that can hold about a thousand items, but needs fairly high level research to reach as well as a specialized module to actually build it, so while powerful, it does require a bit of effort on your part. I think it requires power too.

Then there's another mod that pretty much immediately (about 150 research ticks or something equally pathetic) lets you build "deep storage units" with 1500+ capacity for the cost of something like 100 wood lol.

Yeah, the mods are all over the place for that kind of poo poo.