Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
This is waaaay late but what were peoples thought on the PT demo?

I got it after a friend told me to grab it, not knowing what it was exactly. Found it to be pretty much the scariest gaming experience I've had but a little vague with the controls and puzzles compared to the extreme hand holding you get with most games now days. Haven't really played any of the SIlent Hill games, are they all like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I think that if PT is at all representative of the quality of Silent Hills then I will be unable to play it alone due to fear

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
PT is probably one of the scariest loving things I'v ever played. Forget that it's a demo or a teaser or whatever, it's a drat quality bit of interactive media and it's horrifying.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Yodzilla posted:

PT is probably one of the scariest loving things I'v ever played. Forget that it's a demo or a teaser or whatever, it's a drat quality bit of interactive media and it's horrifying.

True that. PT was plain uncomfortable to play. The graphics are outstanding, but better than that, the pacing and art direction is also top notch. I really am dying to know just how much impact Guillermo Del Toro is having on the final project or PT.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm pretty jaded when it comes to horror titles and it takes a bunch to really get me anxious or afraid when playing a videogame. I mostly wandered through the loop with a grin on my face as poo poo got weirder and weirder, as I thought I'd seen everything there was in the playthrough I watched on youtube prior to buying my ps4.

I forgot one specific jump scare, though, and damned near dropped my controller when it triggered. That was a good time.

I'm stoked as hell for Silent Hills, shame it's not due til 2016. They can cook that one as long as it needs in my opinion.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I tried to scare myself with PT for a heart rate experiment and failed, but maybe I was trying too hard to be scared.

BoonyPC posted:

Haven't really played any of the SIlent Hill games, are they all like this?

None of the Silent Hill games are like PT, save for the first person sections of 4 (which aren't the meat of the game). You might like 2 anyway; the game plays a lot differently, but it shares in the unnerving psychological aspects.

alternatively if you want puzzles that don't hold your hand play 3 on max difficulty :unsmigghh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So for shits and giggles I want the FNAF version of Les Toreadors for my phone. Can I yoink it out of the game files somehow?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Have you checked the files? Does it have separate music files? If not does it use archive files that things like Winrar/7zip could open? If that's a no, the odds are against you. You could still get it if you recorded the sound of your own pc.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Not specifically a horror game, although it checks a lot of those boxes in a big way and you could make a strong argument for that, but "gothic roguelike turn-based RPG" (sounds like a tired Kickstarter pitch but it seriously earns all those descriptions) Darkest Dungeon is hitting early access next week (available for $20 and higher Kickstarter backers now) and is already amazing. Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697943

The occultist in my party couldn't take the stress and snapped, and now spends most of the round shouting insults and dead languages at the rest of the party.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 31, 2015

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

BoonyPC posted:

I got it after a friend told me to grab it, not knowing what it was exactly. Found it to be pretty much the scariest gaming experience I've had but a little vague with the controls and puzzles compared to the extreme hand holding you get with most games now days. Haven't really played any of the SIlent Hill games, are they all like this?

I thought PT was the scariest game I've ever played, if Silent Hills keeps up that level of tension and fear for the whole game it'll take me a long time to finish because I'll only be able to play it in short bursts.

Silent Hills won't necessarily bare any resemblance to PT, either in gameplay or story. I know they've said the puzzles were intentionally incredibly obscure in PT to the internet buzzing about how to solve the puzzles. But I don't think we can make any assumptions about Silent Hills from PT.

I think Kojima is a great choice for Silent Hill, even in Metal Gear he manages to have several really creepy/spooky bits, like the ghost river or nightmare in MGS3 or the collapse of reality at the end of MGS2. Seeing him go full horror is going to be very interesting. Like or hate Kojima, you can't deny no-one else makes games like his.
Silent Hills probably isn't that far into development, I imagine Kojimas attention is taken up by Phantom Pain at the moment.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Spalec posted:

I thought PT was the scariest game I've ever played, if Silent Hills keeps up that level of tension and fear for the whole game it'll take me a long time to finish because I'll only be able to play it in short bursts.

Silent Hills won't necessarily bare any resemblance to PT, either in gameplay or story. I know they've said the puzzles were intentionally incredibly obscure in PT to the internet buzzing about how to solve the puzzles. But I don't think we can make any assumptions about Silent Hills from PT.

I think Kojima is a great choice for Silent Hill, even in Metal Gear he manages to have several really creepy/spooky bits, like the ghost river or nightmare in MGS3 or the collapse of reality at the end of MGS2. Seeing him go full horror is going to be very interesting. Like or hate Kojima, you can't deny no-one else makes games like his.
Silent Hills probably isn't that far into development, I imagine Kojimas attention is taken up by Phantom Pain at the moment.

And del Toro has great visuals. Pans Labyrinth is a good indicator of that. The two of them together should be able to design some incredibly environments.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Len posted:

And del Toro has great visuals. Pans Labyrinth is a good indicator of that. The two of them together should be able to design some incredibly environments.
My concern is they're just going to slap his name on it, like they started doing with a lot of movies once he started getting well known. Is there any indication yet of how involved he's going to be with the actual production design?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

My concern is they're just going to slap his name on it, like they started doing with a lot of movies once he started getting well known. Is there any indication yet of how involved he's going to be with the actual production design?

The little concept trailer they showed a few months back felt pretty Del Toro. Especially when the door slammed into the opposite wall and opened up, which is so loving Del Toro I started spontaneously speaking Spanish.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

1stGear posted:

Especially when the door slammed into the opposite wall and opened up,

I really liked that idea, and the whole trailer sold me

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

BoonyPC posted:

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

I tried to scare myself with PT for a heart rate experiment and failed, but maybe I was trying too hard to be scared.

None of the games are like PT, save for the first person sections of 4 (which aren't the meat of the game). You might like 2 anyway; the game plays a lot differently, but it shares in the unnerving psychological aspects.

alternatively if you want puzzles that don't hold your hand play 3 on max difficulty :unsmigghh:

If you want some scares like PT, I think you should check out Fatal Frame over the Silent Hill games. Lisa is a ghost in PT and in FF, you do nothing but fight ghosts. Ghosts are scarier for me than anything else in games. Probably because they're unpredictable. You know they're around but have no clue when they're going to pop out, then bam, they're in your face and you drop the controller. I get that from both PT and the Fatal Frame series.

For the Silent Hill series, I would recommend 1 and 3 before 2. 2 has such a slow start. The first area (first few hours) is the dullest area in the first three games. At it's best I never think it approaches being as scary as 1 and 3. Someone at my work recently was playing SH2 and was forcing herself to keep playing, not seeing what the big deal was, and I let her borrow SH3. She loved that one immediately.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing about SH2 is it's a lot of people's favorite because of the major plot twist. So much so that all of the post-team silent Silent Hill games have based their concept of Silent Hill on the one presented in SH2 rather than it just being one possible interpretation of the setting. Which is probably why they're so much weaker than the earlier games - they're basically just covering the same ground.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I've said for a while, a Silent Hill that looks like it's building up to a twist, then subverting it, would probably be more of a shocker at this point.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Finally got around to finishing Condemned. I can't remember a game that's so unremarkable in the beginning but kicks off midway through. Most games start strong and lose steam but Condemned ends right when it gets good. The penultimate level set in a dilapidated house was the standout moment in a game that otherwise wasn't very scary. The combat was too simplistic for how long the game was and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on but I know the sequel improves everything.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

Finally got around to finishing Condemned. I can't remember a game that's so unremarkable in the beginning but kicks off midway through. Most games start strong and lose steam but Condemned ends right when it gets good. The penultimate level set in a dilapidated house was the standout moment in a game that otherwise wasn't very scary. The combat was too simplistic for how long the game was and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on but I know the sequel improves everything.

Um.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This game is so loving bare bones that there's no possible way the sequel can go anywhere but up and if it doesn't holy hell did Monolith waste their money. Just reading over the Wikipedia page the forensics stuff sounds better integrated into the gameplay and you have proper hand to hand combat beyond your useless foot, that's two points over the first right there.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

al-azad posted:

The sequel totally improves everything but gets silly, so people are down on it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

al-azad posted:

This is the weirdest opinion I've read all day.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm totally prepared for that, this game took a right turn into Silent Hill out of nowhere.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Some gameplay footage of NightCry went up.

Looks kinda rough around the edges visually, still pretty excited though. Loved Clock Tower.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Looks kinda rough around the edges visually, still pretty excited though. Loved Clock Tower.

I hope she switches to flats eventually, having those heel clicks for the whole game would drive me insane.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The sequel totally improves everything but gets silly, so people are down on it.

Yeah in terms of just gameplay systems it's definitely much better. It has some gunplay in it that isn't very good, but otherwise yeah I think Condemned 2 gets a lot more poo poo than it deserves just because the story is total loving nonsense. I definitely like 1 more too, but 2 is absolutely an awesome game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of Condemned, the producer and owner of the series is considering hiring a "proven" indie developer to make the next game in the series. Obviously Frictional comes to mind with first person horror games but ACE Team made first person fisticuffs really fun with Zeno Clash.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

An ACE Team Condemend would be magical. Just make it even weirder I don't care.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Also acceptable: MachineGames.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

I hope she switches to flats eventually, having those heel clicks for the whole game would drive me insane.

I thought you were talking about her boobs for a sec because :stare:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Really not feeling like it's going to get funded :(

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I get such a Deadly Premonition vibe from this.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Looks like Screaming White Woman: The Game. :catstare:

I get that characters need to react to their surroundings but that'd grate on me no end. Similar with the space game coming from those Amnesia guys - one of their videos was basically the player character screaming HOLY poo poo WHAT THE HELL again and again and again.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Not specifically a horror game, although it checks a lot of those boxes in a big way and you could make a strong argument for that, but "gothic roguelike turn-based RPG" (sounds like a tired Kickstarter pitch but it seriously earns all those descriptions) Darkest Dungeon is hitting early access next week (available for $20 and higher Kickstarter backers now) and is already amazing. Thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697943

The occultist in my party couldn't take the stress and snapped, and now spends most of the round shouting insults and dead languages at the rest of the party.

I've watched a couple streamers play this and it's the first game in a long time where I wasn't too sold on the concept at first, but the art style and stress mechanic sucked me in.

Speaking of art style: there's a FNaF clone called "One Night at Flumpty's" on Gamejolt starting to make the rounds that features all-original art and characters. The art is silly and cute with great freaky faces during the jumpscares and the gameplay is a lot more challenging than every other clone out there. You're forced to check cameras way more often, but even that can game over you in a way the original didn't even include.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
So hey, you know that thing I said about there only being one entrance to the room in FNAF3?

I was wrong. I was horribly, horribly wrong.

EDIT: Here's one with the extra bits highlighted.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Shadowlyger posted:

So hey, you know that thing I said about there only being one entrance to the room in FNAF3?

I was wrong. I was horribly, horribly wrong.

EDIT: Here's one with the extra bits highlighted.

...Aw gently caress :(

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

There's plans for a third condemned? Rad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NotAnArtist posted:

There's plans for a third condemned? Rad.

Nothing concrete but the owner of the franchise is definitely considering it since he's too busy to make it himself. I don't really know what Monolith is doing beyond possibly making DLC for Shadow of Mordor.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

unpacked robinhood posted:

I thought you were talking about her boobs for a sec because :stare:

That's an odd way to read it. Freud might want a word with you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oh hey, Dreadout part 2 is out now for download through Steam http://steamcommunity.com/games/269790/announcements/detail/240151225900656898

I hope the game moves out of that school building and into more exploring of that town. That was the best part of the first act.