Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
100% of my cats are seeking floofs and huffs 100% of the time (that they're not desperate for food).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Update on my insanely loud howling cat I can't believe something can howl that loud. We've been putting him in the spare bedroom at night with a litter box with food and water and his tree at the window and he hasn't been howling, not sure if it's the long term solution but is working.

The dog are in their crates at night I wonder if the cat is just confused that all of a sudden there's nobody in the house and it's dark (we have tried night lights) and he doesn't know what's going on so he just wanders. I still have no idea but that's my working theory.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
How often do you guys clean out your litter trays? By which I mean a full wash, disinfect, replenish with litter etc.

I want to cut down my litter usage (I use ultra-clumping) but I'm unsure how far I can stretch it before it becomes unhealthy.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Thread, meet Puck (pic is lovely, I know):

I got him one Saturday 12 years ago because nobody was home. I left my house that morning with the classified ads from the newspaper (remember those?), and all I knew was that I wasn't going to come home until I had a boy kitten. I went down the list of "kittens free to good home" ads, but everybody I called, nobody answered. So finally, it was late in the day and I was down to the last ad: a rescue group was having an adopt-a-thon at a pet store. I got there just as they were starting to pack up the animals who didn't get adopted and told them I was looking for a boy kitten, and he was the last one (black cats don't get adopted very easily). His foster mom had found him, his brother, and his sister at the base of a chain link fence outside an electrical substation. The second they put him in my hands, he started to purr and I knew he was mine (or I was his, one or the other).

His foster mom had given him some godawful name that didn't fit and on the drive home I kept throwing names at him, trying to find the one that would stick. I don't think I named him Puck so much as that was his name all along, and I just happened to find it. But when I landed on it, he told me that was the right one, and it was.

From the very first day I got him, he was special. He had a bit of a wild streak and I always suspected he was a little bit feral. He loved to nibble fingers, give face washes, sit on my shoulder, and chase jelly bracelets. I fought a never-ending battle to keep his furry little rear end off the kitchen table -- he didn't give a poo poo about water pistols. He made me laugh, he kept me company, he drove me crazy, and today he made me cry. After a long fight with diabetes and a short battle with bladder cancer that spread very quickly, his kidneys failed. He spent two nights at the animal hospital, but realistically there was nothing they could do, and I knew that. So I did one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Maybe the hardest. And dammit, it hurts. It hurts a LOT.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I got him one Saturday 12 years ago because nobody was home. I left my house that morning with the classified ads from the newspaper (remember those?), and all I knew was that I wasn't going to come home until I had a boy kitten. I went down the list of "kittens free to good home" ads, but everybody I called, nobody answered. So finally, it was late in the day and I was down to the last ad: a rescue group was having an adopt-a-thon at a pet store. I got there just as they were starting to pack up the animals who didn't get adopted and told them I was looking for a boy kitten, and he was the last one (black cats don't get adopted very easily). His foster mom had found him, his brother, and his sister at the base of a chain link fence outside an electrical substation. The second they put him in my hands, he started to purr and I knew he was mine (or I was his, one or the other).

His foster mom had given him some godawful name that didn't fit and on the drive home I kept throwing names at him, trying to find the one that would stick. I don't think I named him Puck so much as that was his name all along, and I just happened to find it. But when I landed on it, he told me that was the right one, and it was.

From the very first day I got him, he was special. He had a bit of a wild streak and I always suspected he was a little bit feral. He loved to nibble fingers, give face washes, sit on my shoulder, and chase jelly bracelets. I fought a never-ending battle to keep his furry little rear end off the kitchen table -- he didn't give a poo poo about water pistols. He made me laugh, he kept me company, he drove me crazy, and today he made me cry. After a long fight with diabetes and a short battle with bladder cancer that spread very quickly, his kidneys failed. He spent two nights at the animal hospital, but realistically there was nothing they could do, and I knew that. So I did one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Maybe the hardest. And dammit, it hurts. It hurts a LOT.

It sounds like he spent most of his years at a safe, comfortable home with a loving owner, which is the best thing a cat could hope for. So sorry for your loss. :(

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

(((hugs))) so sorry for your loss.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My dumb cat loves to bite chicken bones. Is it ok to let him do this? He'll bite right through it and even eats the whole bone sometimes.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Cooked chicken bones are bad. Don't let your pets eat them. They fragment, producing sharp tips and edges, which can result in a dead pet and/or expensive e-vet bills.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
poo poo. I'm a terrible cat owner. No more for him.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

RedTonic posted:

Cooked chicken bones are bad. Don't let your pets eat them. They fragment, producing sharp tips and edges, which can result in a dead pet and/or expensive e-vet bills.

Are uncooked bones okay? My wife and I often buy chicken thighs and just cut the meat off them to freeze in 2 serving portions for meals, and we just toss the bones (unless I'm in the mood to make a soup). We've never given them to the cats because I always figured it might be dangerous, but if not, I might experiment and see if they like them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Marathanes posted:

Are uncooked bones okay? My wife and I often buy chicken thighs and just cut the meat off them to freeze in 2 serving portions for meals, and we just toss the bones (unless I'm in the mood to make a soup). We've never given them to the cats because I always figured it might be dangerous, but if not, I might experiment and see if they like them.

I'd avoid giving pets raw bones, but that's just me. Salmonella's a hell of a drug. I've read that raw bones are okay splinter-wise, but I don't like to experiment on my cats. Just put your chicken bones in a freezer bag and stick them back in the freezer until you're ready to make soup.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hi y'all I have a question about converting my outdoor cat to indoor - I read all the relevant stuff in the OP but still have an issue.

So I have two cats, they were indoor/outdoor for probably the first three years of their lives but now I've moved to a place with way too much traffic for me to trust them. One has always been sort of a homebody, I'd literally place her outside once every few months in the summer just to indicate to her that she could, and she'd come back inside at first opportunity. She spends most of her time trying to be adorable or cuddling with whatever is closest. She does not miss being outdoors.

Which brings me to my other cat: she absolutely loved being outside, climbing trees and laying in the sun and whatnot, and she's not adjusting well to her new conditions. She's super bored and it's breaking my heart. So from what I know, the things to do are 1) get another cat (already done, but she's not into playing), 2) give them high places to get up on (I'm working on this but I don't live in a big place, nor do I make the kind of money that can fund a kitty fantasy playground), and 3) play with the cat a lot with toys to tire her out (Remi literally ignores toys; if I get a laser out, instead of chasing the laser she sits on the ground and looks at me as if she's insulted; I've tried other toys, same reaction, no playing or interest) - it's been about six months and she just stares out the window all day. Her mood has changed too - she was never super affectionate, but she seems like maybe she's depressed. I don't know what to do.

Help me make my kitty happy!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Marathanes posted:

Uncooked chicken bones are fine. I feed my cats a few pieces of chicken necks every week and they get into chewing through them, leaving their teeth nice and clean.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

black.lion posted:

I feel like new stuff to climb and more play is the answer. Cat trees are great but they get pricy as you know. Are you fairly handy? Are you confident you could mount a sturdy shelf? Google "cat shelves" for some cool ideas on staggered, scratchable wall climbing setups.

There are also cat climbers that hang on the back of a door: I had one for a while, it was a hit with the cats if a pain to secure to the door.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

black.lion posted:

My cat used to be indoor/outdoor when we lived in the country but is now fully indoor because we live in a busy urban area. He was, uh, not too pleased when we made the transition. What worked for him was a) finding him high places to climb and b) setting up a "treasure hunt" of things he could, well, hunt.

For a) we literally just arranged our existing furniture so that he had interesting climbing options. So, we organized our bookshelves so that it was a manageable jump from the top of the medium-sized one to the top of the really tall one (bolted in place, of course), we leave a kitchen chair close to the fridge so he can climb onto the top of the fridge and from there on top of the cabinets, etc.

For b) we got him a treat ball. We fill it and hide it around the house and he then has to find it and "kill" it to get the treats. When the shine wears off that I might make him a puzzle feeder.

Basically the idea was to replicate what (we assume) he loved about roaming around the countryside: finding new nooks and crannies to explore, and hunting for his dinner. He does seem a lot happier.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

khy posted:

I know it's against the rules to ask for help with vet fees and poo poo. But I'm curious : With crowdfunding being the best way to get help these days, is it against the rules to ask people to spread the word on social networks about a crowdfunded vet campaign?

Could a mod clarify this for me please?

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Both of my kitties currently have extremely stinky poops. They are on a fairly high protein food (Animonda Carny) which I assume is the cause, but I figured it was generally better to feed a high protein wet food? Are stinky shits just something we're going to have to deal with?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Octolady posted:

Both of my kitties currently have extremely stinky poops. They are on a fairly high protein food (Animonda Carny) which I assume is the cause, but I figured it was generally better to feed a high protein wet food? Are stinky shits just something we're going to have to deal with?

I don't know about always, but I once tried Taste of the Wild dry food that is a similarly premium food and Jesus Christ they had stinkpoops. Try switching brands, we found one that was decent nutritionally without horrible butt smell all day.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Thanks for the replies y'all, I am decently handy and the place I'm renting has a huge basement so I think I may just get some wood and make some climbing stuff up. May be a few weeks but when I get it done I'll post pictures!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Octolady posted:

Switching foods can upset their stomachs and make the poops worse. Kittens are also known to have particularly foul poo poo. It will pass.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Noooooooo he pooped in the plant again. Time to refresh the hot sauce... :(

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Dogfish posted:

Noooooooo he pooped in the plant again. Time to refresh the hot sauce... :(

I bought a couple bags of smooth river stones at a local Dollar Store and dumped them in the potted plant. Doesn't do anything to the plant but makes the 'texture' too different to comfortably poop on.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Octolady posted:

Wendy had the stinky poop and worst farts ever even when her diet hadn't changed in a while (I typically have to change up dry food a few times a year when the cats suddenly decide they hate it and refuse to eat it) and I mentioned it at the vet during a routine checkup and she suggested probiotics. You can either use a powder and add it into their food or give them special probiotic treats. I do the treat thing because it's easier for me and the one time I tried the powder I accidentally used too much and she didn't poop for 3 days, oops. Her farts are less lethal now and I don't want to cry every time I clean her box so it definitely works.

Here's a photo of the little twerp :3:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Here is a picture of my cat for no reason

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
One of our cats occassionally has a cheesy smell. I can't tell but I think it's coming from his butt. Please advise.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
My cat's asking to tell you: "Sniff his butt. :shrug: What's the problem?"

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I need a litter box recommendation for a giant cat (16 pounds) in a small apartment. He loves to kick litter out and generally make a huge mess. He kicks and scratches on the side of his box so much that his current one has a hole in it.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-Self-Cleaning-Litter-Pewter/dp/B005E2S77C

Thats what I use with my 15 lb cat, he scratches a lot but it never got a hole in it. Though I am not sure if my cat would actually scratch a hole in anything. It still gets a bit of litter out the front but it keeps the stank in pretty well.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

I never knew I needed something as much as I need this. I'm on litter duty and this would make my life so much easier. Thanks.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

My sister moved out and into an apartment about a week ago. Yesterday, she got a kiiten.

This is Arcee (Because my sister is a Transformers fan, and we've never had cats with normal names.) She's 6 months old and never stops moving.

Arcee is a perpetual blur. Unless you take a photo of the top of her head.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Richard Bong posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-Self-Cleaning-Litter-Pewter/dp/B005E2S77C

Thats what I use with my 15 lb cat, he scratches a lot but it never got a hole in it. Though I am not sure if my cat would actually scratch a hole in anything. It still gets a bit of litter out the front but it keeps the stank in pretty well.

This is the one my cat ruined. :mad:

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Drythe posted:

Here is a picture of my cat for no reason

Drum posted:

My sister moved out and into an apartment about a week ago. Yesterday, she got a kiiten.

This is Arcee (Because my sister is a Transformers fan, and we've never had cats with normal names.) She's 6 months old and never stops moving.

Arcee is a perpetual blur. Unless you take a photo of the top of her head.

Both are adorable!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Whole lot of Maine Coons and similar-looking cats in this thread. I approve.

Unfortunately, my own plans to get a cat have been derailed. :( My apartment's monthly rent has shot up by $135 a month for this coming year's lease, which is more than I think it's worth so I need to start apartment hunting. Even if I do decide to stay, that would eat up the monthly budget I'd planned to reserve for cat care.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rosalind posted:

This is the one my cat ruined. :mad:

Holy poo poo what kind of cat do you have? Do you trim its claws regularly?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Get a large tubberware bin, either cut a hole in the side a few inches up or put a lid on it with a large hole in the top. That should prevent the cat from getting litter anywhere and it will also be a lot cheaper than any specific litter box you'll find in the store.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Holy poo poo what kind of cat do you have? Do you trim its claws regularly?

He's just a big cow cat with incredibly powerful back legs. Here's a photo that I think captures just how big he is:

Also trim his claws? I try but it takes two people to hold him down while I trim. One person just can't keep enough of a grip on him. Even his vet always calls in an extra assistant when she sees him.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Get a large tubberware bin, either cut a hole in the side a few inches up or put a lid on it with a large hole in the top. That should prevent the cat from getting litter anywhere and it will also be a lot cheaper than any specific litter box you'll find in the store.

Going to do this.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
My cat will let me swaddle him in a towel, I do this when I want to trim his claws. I pull out an individual leg, cut, and reswaddle each time.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Does anyone have any experience with automatic food dispensers for cats? Are they all poo poo, or will they prevent my girlfriend's dumb cat from waking us op at 4 a.m.?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Boz0r posted:

Does anyone have any experience with automatic food dispensers for cats? Are they all poo poo, or will they prevent my girlfriend's dumb cat from waking us op at 4 a.m.?

If you studiously ignore them, they will gradually learn that pestering you at 4 AM is pointless.

No food or attention until your normal wake-up time will slowly sink in.

I have no advice on automatic feeders, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Boz0r posted:

I use a simple gravity based feeder because my cats have proven an ability to control themselves. Suits my needs, I suppose. Hasn't been an issue.