Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tracula posted:

I've always wondered how much :10bux: the ASPCA spends on commercials when they could be putting that money towards actually helping animals and the like.

Raising awareness that a problem exists is part of helping animals. THAT SAID, I hate their advertising with a passion. gently caress the ASPCA for subjecting my eyes to pictures of mutilated pets, and subjecting my ears to Angel. At the same time. I do not deserve either of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Che Delilas posted:

Raising awareness that a problem exists is part of helping animals. THAT SAID, I hate their advertising with a passion. gently caress the ASPCA for subjecting my eyes to pictures of mutilated pets, and subjecting my ears to Angel. At the same time. I do not deserve either of these things.

My dog is happy and healthy but you take any random video of that little poo poo just sitting and looking around, slow it down, and play some sad music he would look abused, too. I'm sure some of the dogs in the ads are for real sad dogs and mistreated, but I see through the facade. Dogs just look sad when they want stuff.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

swims posted:

I hate to hate, but that's either some legitimate stdh or your friend is gay.

Well he actually is gay, so...

E: he's also Albert Einstein and an ex-marine. People stood up and cheered. We've been married ever since.

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Jan 30, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zero One posted:

Go daddy miscalculated how much people care about fictional TV puppies: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/godaddy-super-bowl-commercial-puppy

I don't even understand the criticism of this. If selling dogs is so reprehensible then how do you even get a dog in the first place?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

When Coke was first available in China, no one really got the idea to actually try and keep the chinese translation the same between here and there so everyone was on the same page, which meant a lot of stores were having signs up saying COCA COLA with various characters for the KO, KA and LA sounds.

This led to a lot of stores offering Coke as "Bite the wax tadpole" or "Lady horse fastened with wax" before Coke got the official word out to use the symbols they chose, which mean "To allow the mouth to be able to rejoice".

They kinda owned up to it and used the mistranslations in ads for a while though, so it wasn't an entire failure.

Pepsi had the whole mistranslation that took "Come alive with Pepsi!" being made into "Pepsi will bring the dead to life".

thanks for the email grandma

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

BattleMaster posted:

I don't even understand the criticism of this. If selling dogs is so reprehensible then how do you even get a dog in the first place?

You put a trap out. My dog's tail doesn't have any fur and it hisses.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

jidohanbaiki posted:

You put a trap out. My dog's tail doesn't have any fur and it hisses.

Your dog's tail hisses? Could you make a thread in PI, please? The tail on my chimera doesn't say anything, and I think it might be sick :(

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Fart Sandwiches posted:

My dog is happy and healthy but you take any random video of that little poo poo just sitting and looking around, slow it down, and play some sad music he would look abused, too. I'm sure some of the dogs in the ads are for real sad dogs and mistreated, but I see through the facade. Dogs just look sad when they want stuff.

I believe it was Carlin who said all the sadness in the world can be found in a dog's eyes and that is absolutely true

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's some more info about McDonalds' new "Lovin Beats Hatin" ad campaign:

quote:

Starting Monday, Feb. 2, McDonald’s will be randomly accepting a new form of payment. Customers who enter participating McDonald’s restaurants* across the US at randomized, predetermined times between Monday, Feb. 2 and Saturday, Feb. 14 from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. local time each day will be selected to participate to Pay with Lovin’. Once a selected customer has completed his or her order and presented a method of payment, the restaurant Guest Service Manager or Lovin’ Lead will explain that McDonald’s is doing something special that day, and the customer will be given the option to pay for his or her order with an act of Lovin’ instead. For instance, breakfast might cost a friendly fist bump to the crew member on duty, lunch could be paid for with a call to a loved one and dinner could go for a compliment.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

...That seems like it's going to lead to socially-awkward teenagers trying to demand kisses or other intimate gestures.
Like, they're not even going to be able to start before the lawsuits start being put together, especially if they try to pull it on underage girls (I don't mean pedophilia, just 16-year-old boys, working part-time, trying to get kisses from the 16-year-old girls they've got crushes on. I know some girls would at least agree to a kiss on the cheek, possibly even a full-on kiss, if it meant free stuff - and their parents would be somewhat annoyed once they find out)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
"Janey I heard that you let that boy of the same age from McDonald's lean over the counter and kiss you on the cheek as payment for your chicken nuggets, is that true?"
"Yes Mom, he forced me to as part of a promotion, it was so socially awkward"
"That's it, i'm calling my lawyer. You're grounded for ten years, but the good news is we're going to be millionaires honey. They're just lucky there was no pedophilia involved"

I'm sure there will be strict rules about no physical contact of any kind to avoid that sort of controversial scenario.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

aerion111 posted:

...That seems like it's going to lead to socially-awkward teenagers trying to demand kisses or other intimate gestures.
Like, they're not even going to be able to start before the lawsuits start being put together, especially if they try to pull it on underage girls (I don't mean pedophilia, just 16-year-old boys, working part-time, trying to get kisses from the 16-year-old girls they've got crushes on. I know some girls would at least agree to a kiss on the cheek, possibly even a full-on kiss, if it meant free stuff - and their parents would be somewhat annoyed once they find out)

I like that you assume there won't already be a pre-approved list of acceptable gestures from McDonalds, like the examples they used in the link.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
McDonalds: Our new plan is to just give the poo poo away

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I would prefer if the guy assembling my hamburger were not bumping fists with every person who walks into a McDonald's looking for free food all day long.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I can't wait to stand in line behind someone that is trying to get their partner on the phone

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

aerion111 posted:

...or they'll just do the dumb poo poo that that the article mentions and not the weird poo poo you dream up.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Iacen posted:

Your dog's tail hisses? Could you make a thread in PI, please? The tail on my chimera doesn't say anything, and I think it might be sick :(

If you're trying to insinuate that my dog isn't a purebred animal, gently caress you buddy. I paid good fuckng money for that animal trap. It catches ANIMALs, not some fairy bullshit.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

aerion111 posted:

You seem to have given a lot of thought to 16-year-olds kissing.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Nah, there's a pretty healthy chance that this could end badly. Sexual harassment isn't guaranteed, of course, but with ALL the McD's across the country...

All I'm saying is...Hey, it could happen

McWOOOOOOOOOOOORLD

I could also see someone getting irate that the person in front of them got their poo poo for free.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

kazil posted:

...or they'll just do the dumb poo poo that that the article mentions and not the weird poo poo you dream up.

Except Joe Crackhead who lives in a van only heard you get free food for acts of "Lovin'". Guess what he decides to do that day. This is going to blow up in their faces.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

I would prefer if the guy assembling my hamburger were not bumping fists with every person who walks into a McDonald's looking for free food all day long.

The people serving customers aren't the same people assembling the burgers in the back, did you not think that post through at all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This McD "Lovin" campaign has the chance to go down as one of their worst ideas yet. You'd think the first rule of making a ad campaign would be in no way shape or form mandate or encourage physical contact between employees and customers or encourage people to waste time. I fully expect to see YouTube videos of people just demanding to be allowed to pay for their meal rather then engage some "Lovin Lead" in whatever the theme of the day is.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

pentyne posted:

This McD "Lovin" campaign has the chance to go down as one of their worst ideas yet. You'd think the first rule of making a ad campaign would be in no way shape or form mandate or encourage physical contact between employees and customers or encourage people to waste time. I fully expect to see YouTube videos of people just demanding to be allowed to pay for their meal rather then engage some "Lovin Lead" in whatever the theme of the day is.

I'm 100% sure i will never see such a video because they obviously aren't going to disallow payment by money. I mean really. And look how the campaign is working already you're all talking about it and I bet most of you have already been in to Mcdonalds because it's been on your mind and making you hungry. Marketing genius.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm 100% sure i will never see such a video because they obviously aren't going to disallow payment by money. I mean really. And look how the campaign is working already you're all talking about it and I bet most of you have already been in to Mcdonalds because it's been on your mind and making you hungry. Marketing genius.

Nah, I'm good. Really, I wouldn't eat that poo poo for free. If someone wanted to take me to lunch and go to McDonalds I would suggest something else. I"m getting a little older now, I'll admit, and usually when I think of eating some junk food I also think of the stuff that comes with it (lethargy, nausea, heartburn) and if I'm gonna do that to myself there are way better treats than McD's.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Nah, I'm good. Really, I wouldn't eat that poo poo for free. If someone wanted to take me to lunch and go to McDonalds I would suggest something else. I"m getting a little older now, I'll admit, and usually when I think of eating some junk food I also think of the stuff that comes with it (lethargy, nausea, heartburn) and if I'm gonna do that to myself there are way better treats than McD's.

You're awesome

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

There's so much wrong here I don't even know where to start.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I don't get it. The cremation website is real. What do they mean? Will the girl die when she becomes a teenager? An GIS only finds an entry on reddit about the picture so it seems really real. WHAT DOES IT MEAN????

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

So the Impact font is a thing outside of the internet now?

That feels a little icky somehow.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RabbitWizard posted:

I don't get it. The cremation website is real. What do they mean? Will the girl die when she becomes a teenager? An GIS only finds an entry on reddit about the picture so it seems really real. WHAT DOES IT MEAN????

Benefit of the doubt:
Teens do dumb poo poo and are likely to end up dead.

No Benefit of the doubt:
Guy who made that is a huge :pedo:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pondex posted:

So the Impact font is a thing outside of the internet now?

That feels a little icky somehow.

It has been for years

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Davfff posted:

You're awesome

Does this mean my McNuggets are gratis?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Len posted:

It has been for years

That's even worse

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

They have this on their Facebook page

Your guess is as good as mine

sout
Apr 24, 2014

AKA Pseudonym posted:

St Louis Vertically-Elevating Cremations

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

Troll post I know, but it still bugs me.

Just because it "gets people talking" doesn't mean its "good marketing". Look at how much the Go Daddy commercial was talked about. How many of us are now thinking of doing webhosting because of the commercial? Probably 0.

Now, getting your name EVERYWHERE is useful because it legitimizes a brand, but the commercial itself doesn't' mean it was successful in pushing business to the location.

I say this as someone who is pretty upset with his companies marketing strategy of GET IT EVERYWHERE that has the same mindset and its to their detriment.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

AKA Pseudonym posted:

:stare: what in the hell? There's misusing memes and then there just saying gently caress it man and its for a business.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
My best guess on the first one was "She'll be a teenager soon and then you have to kill horny boys that are trying to touch your daughter... which is great for us, because we are a crematorium, you see, and actively encourage an increase in dead bodies."

Then the second one comes and I got no loving idea.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I saw this kind of font over a picture and I liked it, so I copied it without knowing why its that way" is the complete story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
"Ack! I've just been shot in a hunting accident!"

"Oh poo poo man let's get you to the hospital!"

"It's no use, buddy. I'm hit in...the heart..."

"gently caress, dude! What should I do?"

"I wanna be cremated...take my body to...that place in St. Louis...the one with the funny memes"