Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Fart of Presto posted:

Ever since iGoogle died, I've been using igHome. It used the same widgets as iGoogle, but as I never used the email and calendar ones, I'm not sure if they exist here. I only use it for RSS feeds.
I also briefly looked into Protopage but stuck with igHome.

Thanks FoP. Its for a person that is computer literate enough to turn on the comp, do their job and read and send emails this helps them a ton and keeps them out of trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
What do you all use to mute Gmail and Hangouts (and other chrome notifications I guess) easily on demand? I'm on Windows, and the little bell icon in the notification area isn't always present to choose to mute. Sometimes I need to briefly present using my laptop at work, and it would be nice to click something that just mutes everything for X minutes.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I've got a question about using stuff like Google Sheets and Drive without being logged in, or at least isolating it from the rest of my browsing. I've got a spreadsheet I used at work and at home and on myphone and keep it synced by storing it on drive. But the Drive account is a work one and I don't want it getting associated with all the gross browsing behavior that it'll get at home if I forget to log out when I'm done. Is there some way to launch and edit a file in Drive without being logged in or some way to make sure it's isolated from all the rest of the activity going on in chrome? Right now I just log in and log out when I'm done with it but that leaves me logged out which sucks for youtube and it's only a matter of time for me to forget and google will think the nice company I work for is really into amputee lesbians.

What's the best way to do this? Is there some way to launch a Drive file with it just being logged in solely for the file and not for all of chrome?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

canyonero posted:

What do you all use to mute Gmail and Hangouts (and other chrome notifications I guess) easily on demand? I'm on Windows, and the little bell icon in the notification area isn't always present to choose to mute. Sometimes I need to briefly present using my laptop at work, and it would be nice to click something that just mutes everything for X minutes.

There's a Chrome flag that lets you mute specific tabs, that may be helpful.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Pivit posted:

From here

You can disable this via chrome://flags

It's accessible by copy/pasting this URL it in the omnibox: chrome://flags/#enable-new-avatar-menu, disable it to remove the button.

This is actually amazing, as it makes it clear that profiles exist to the 99% of people that don't know. Also, if you enable the flag for it, you can finally lock your chrome profile now (requires Google password).

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

hmm. it seems chrome doesn't hover properly. for instance, when i place the cursor over the root of the breadcumb to show the hover menu for the forum directory, the menu appears but disappears once i move the cursor slightly off the text. this behavior just started happening at random today.

any ideas? updated to the latest version 30m ago and this behavior persists.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Move your mouse faster. Seriously.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Abel Wingnut posted:

hmm. it seems chrome doesn't hover properly. for instance, when i place the cursor over the root of the breadcumb to show the hover menu for the forum directory, the menu appears but disappears once i move the cursor slightly off the text. this behavior just started happening at random today.

any ideas? updated to the latest version 30m ago and this behavior persists.

It's happened to me since the font on the SA forums changed to what it is right now. I'm guessing your zoom level on Chrome is set to 150%, because that's what mine is and it stops happening if I go to 125%. So if you can stand the smaller text, there you go. Not an option for me I'm afraid.

There's a chrome extension for these forums that changes the breadcrumbs back to the old style (everything just displayed with > separators all at once), among other reversions. I haven't tried it but I am getting more annoyed by this problem as the weeks go on, so I may at some point. You could also try adding a UserCSS style to change the font back to the old stuff (Verdana is the font family they used before changing everything) but I promise that that will gently caress up the "go to first unread post" button since the font sizes are different.

Edit: Just tested with 175% zoom and no more problem so I guess you could go SUPERHUGE FUNTIME :buddy: if you wanted.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 15, 2015

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

moving the cursor way faster does the trick...most of the time. but still, i have to move it unnaturally fast.

and my zoom is set to 100%. i'll play with that a bit. how inconvenient.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

withak posted:

Move your mouse faster. Seriously.

Any faster and I skip it entirely. (At 100% anyway, and there's no way I'm zooming in harder at Ye Olde 96 DPI.) Could be it closes because inert space between the root and the menu. Maybe make the shadow part of the menu rather than the inert space? Or someone who understands the forums CSS* has a better idea.

*Insert panoply of radium jokes here.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Get a running start from below the text if you overshoot.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Never mind about certain zoom levels fixing it. It's entirely dependent on the subforum you're in (the active hover area appears to differ depending on which letters are being displayed).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Che Delilas posted:

Never mind about certain zoom levels fixing it. It's entirely dependent on the subforum you're in (the active hover area appears to differ depending on which letters are being displayed).

It doesn't seem to be working for me here in SH/SC

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
I've made a quick userscript that should fix this for anyone (at a variety of zooms). It just changes the CSS moving the box down a handful of pixels so there isn't a gap.

Get it here: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/7512-fix-sa-breadcrumbs-hover-for-chrome

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I have zoom set at 100% and i have that issue now as well.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Anyone got an alternative to video downloader professional? The new permissions seem really drat fishy.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Anyone else suffering with a weird border around the Hangouts webapp:

Does it round every window the Hangouts app spawns, and on multiple PC's as well.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
It does that for me after a program has gone full-screen. The new hangouts app is buggy as hell but the old extension doesn't work anymore so I'm patiently waiting for Google to fix it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Edit. Seems like I had to push the newest update to Chrome. It works now.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 27, 2015

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm running uBlock and it is currently blocking login elements for fishersci.com. I've whitelisted the website but it still doesn't allow me to login. Disabling uBlock allows me to login. What option might be causing the issue? I've had it happen before with trying to see my account information with bankofamerica as well.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if there's an extension that will add more text editing options to Gmail?

I use Gmail for 100% of my e-mail and sometimes the Compose window being so basic infuriates me.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

There's a Sublime Text extension called GhostText that links any editable field in Chrome with Sublime. It's pretty sweet, especially if you already use Sublime. Although if you're looking for text formatting and WYSIWYG in general it won't be of use.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Scrambles posted:

It does that for me after a program has gone full-screen. The new hangouts app is buggy as hell but the old extension doesn't work anymore so I'm patiently waiting for Google to fix it.

The old extension still works fine for me??

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Yeah it works fine for everyone else I've talked with too, just not for me!! The contact list is blank and messages aren't received.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Trying to install Silverlight on my laptop so I can watch Amazon streaming but no matter how many times I reinstall it or chrome it just doesn't show up in chrome://plugins and it isn't detected on the site. I'm stumped, anyone know what I can do?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

wooger posted:

This is actually amazing, as it makes it clear that profiles exist to the 99% of people that don't know. Also, if you enable the flag for it, you can finally lock your chrome profile now (requires Google password).

Real Chrome pros use a second profile instead of incognito mode. You know, when shopping for gifts.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Ape Agitator posted:

What's the best way to do this? Is there some way to launch a Drive file with it just being logged in solely for the file and not for all of chrome?

Kind of solved this for myself by keeping the file owned by a dummy Google account that I don't care about and then sharing editing of the file with the nice Google account. That way I don't have to login at home at all so no issues.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
New question: Using Docs and I'm adding bookmarks to a long document to get to sections I flip between frequently and the keyboard shortcut for next bookmark is also simultaneously opening a new tab. Does anyone else's Google Docs do this to them?

The shortcut I'm using is Ctrl+Alt+N followed by B. I'm pretty sure that it requires you to hold the Ctrl+Alt for the B. Win 8.1 if that matters with updated Chrome and the Google Docs extension.

Does anyone else's behave this way?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Maybe it's different on 8.1 but for 7 it's alt+i (open Insert menu) -> release keys -> b to create a bookmark.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Trying to install Silverlight on my laptop so I can watch Amazon streaming but no matter how many times I reinstall it or chrome it just doesn't show up in chrome://plugins and it isn't detected on the site. I'm stumped, anyone know what I can do?

Are you using 64 bit chrome? Cause silverlight doesn't work with the 64 bit browser. I found this out myself just a couple of hours ago, either watch videos in IE or switch to the 32 bit version are the only fixes.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bioalchemist posted:

Are you using 64 bit chrome? Cause silverlight doesn't work with the 64 bit browser. I found this out myself just a couple of hours ago, either watch videos in IE or switch to the 32 bit version are the only fixes.

This is not a future-ready plan, by the way; Microsoft doesn't appear to care about Pepper and Chrome's ditching NPAPI entirely in September so unless Amazon changes their security you'll have to keep IE or Firefox around. (Or Opera but lol Opera.)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Oprah

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
loving Google! A few months back I started getting an unwarranted popup "Chrome shut down unexpectedly. Click here to restore..." (which doesn't actually do anything). It was under Windows on my Win/Linux dual-boot computer. I've read about some rather radical (as I thought at the time) solutions, and yesterday finally caved in and cleared almost all browsing data. It didn't solve the problem. Rather, the problem transferred into Linux. And even more excitingly, apparently my mobile operator turned off messages with code for me, and now I can't 2-step authenticate under Windows. (Well, neither can I under Linux, but there I'm still logged in, so it's not as much of a problem). That is probably related to the fact that I barely use my cellphone, and in fact have exclusively been on the receiving end for a while now*... Maybe, it's "loving world!", to be more precise.

*Yes, I don't have any friends, why do you ask?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
you should use a 2 auth app, not the text messages, that has always been intended as a backup, also you are supposed to have backup codes

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Am I screwed (hyperbolically speaking) if I don't own a smartphone, which is required for a 2 auth app, as I've heard? I'm probably locked out of backup codes, if I understand it correctly.

I hope I don't get judged too much.

Edit: Oh, wait, I lied, the problem didn't transfer to Linux. I guess I recently did indeed shut Chrome down inappropriately. Sorry, Linux-Chrome, it's your brother Windows-Chrome who's guilty.

supermikhail fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 31, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I kept getting Chrome crashes recently, usually if it was idle or in the background - I'd suddenly notice it was running anymore. Reinstalling did nothing, so I basically wiped everything Google (including things like Drive) and all their stuff in AppData - spring cleaning really. It's been fine since

Also if you're using the Hangouts app you need to close that manually too - if you close Chrome and log off, Hangouts will get kicked out and count as a bad Chrome shutdown. Which is stupid, but there y'go

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Has anyone else noticed making and receiving calls with the hangouts extension is just terrible recently?

My main problem is that when you answer a phone call, it keeps ringing for awhile. Like, you can talk to the person, but the ringing sound just keeps playing.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bioalchemist posted:

Actually it does - not sure exactly when it started working but it didn't in December but does at the moment.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

flatluigi posted:

What OS? I believe on some OSs at least, Chrome stopped working with NPAPI plugins a few versions ago.

Try Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

supermikhail posted:

loving Google! A few months back I started getting an unwarranted popup "Chrome shut down unexpectedly. Click here to restore..."
I get that, it's caused by the Hangouts webapp still being open when I shut my PC down.