Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zaphiel posted:

So would you recommend Rune Factory 3 for the DS games? What about the Vita? Consoles?

Should I keep at Animal Parade? The frame-rate and camera are killing me......

Must scratch Harvest Moon itch!

If you have a 3ds, a new beginning is good though it starts really slow. Alternatively, Story of Seasons comes out in a few months probably and looks very promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Eruonen posted:

They're similar but for me RF doesn't scratch the HM itch.

I haven't actually played a single HM game since the first RF since RF did completely scratch my own personal HM itch and then delivered way more on top of that.

I'm not sure what I actually wanted out of HM in light of that, but RF definitely has all of it and more. :shrug:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Eruonen posted:

If someone were to get just one, which one would you recommend?

If you're looking for just one, then I'd suggest going for the third as it has the most content and polish. This was before the period where Harvest Moon did the dance of feature swapping in hopes of hitting the right notes, up to arguably More Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Emalde posted:

I haven't actually played a single HM game since the first RF since RF did completely scratch my own personal HM itch and then delivered way more on top of that.

I'm not sure what I actually wanted out of HM in light of that, but RF definitely has all of it and more. :shrug:

Yeah I can see why it would for some. I guess it depends on what exactly attracts you to the series.

Sage Grimm posted:

If you're looking for just one, then I'd suggest going for the third as it has the most content and polish. This was before the period where Harvest Moon did the dance of feature swapping in hopes of hitting the right notes, up to arguably More Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA.

Yeah. FoMT is my favorite Harvest Moon still and I played like 75 to 80% of the series. While it's good to experiment, I wish they'd decide on a solid base and go from there.

At least it seems that they do learn from previous mistakes. Very few mistakes have been made more than once.

Thanks, I think I'll get HM3 to give me something to do on a trip soon.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Apparently if I preorder Story of Seasons on Amazon they'll also send me some poor rabbit's head:

I'm undecided about whether or not I want this.

Also Amazon thinks if I like Harvest Moon games so much, I'd probably like Fantasy Life. Is it any good?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Julet Esqu posted:

Also Amazon thinks if I like Harvest Moon games so much, I'd probably like Fantasy Life. Is it any good?

Fantasy Life isn't really all that much like Harvest Moon (an important difference is that the localization is really fantastic), and it's definitely a love it or hate it game. How much do you enjoy resource gathering and crafting?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Julet Esqu posted:

Apparently if I preorder Story of Seasons on Amazon they'll also send me some poor rabbit's head:

Think of Fantasy Life as an RPGish Zelda by way of Animal Crossing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The first two are both pretty good. The third one is interesting, in that the girl character is more oriented towards livestock, where the boy is more oriented towards crops. However, if you play as the girl, and marry the guy, the game ends, where if you play as the boy, and marry the girl, it doesn't.

That's incredible. I was skimming through fogu and apparently if you play as a dude then the only way to get the sheep raising tool is by trading with someone playing as a girl?

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Blhue posted:

If you have a 3ds, a new beginning is good though it starts really slow. Alternatively, Story of Seasons comes out in a few months probably and looks very promising.

Ooooooo, different coloured cows! Alpacas! Llamas! Customization!

But Rune Factory has a DRAGON you can RIDE.

Ah, maybe I'll just get both of them!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
An excellent plan.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Looper posted:

That's incredible. I was skimming through fogu and apparently if you play as a dude then the only way to get the sheep raising tool is by trading with someone playing as a girl?

Yeah. HM 3 GBC is...interesting, in how they tried to actually make playing as a guy or girl have some differences in how the game played, but pretty flawed in execution.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
The fact that the game ends after you get married as a girl is really dumb and also a really huge difference. Why did they do that, anyways?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

kurona_bright posted:

The fact that the game ends after you get married as a girl is really dumb and also a really huge difference. Why did they do that, anyways?

I honestly don't really know. The only reason I can really come up with is "Because sexism" because it's the only thing that makes any real sense.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

kurona_bright posted:

it's just like real life in japan :haw:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Julet Esqu posted:

How do you not want an adorable severed head?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

lmao that thing is hideous

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The first Harvest Moon DLC will be out tomorrow.

Natsume posted:

Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley DLC
The first Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley downloadable content will be available tomorrow, January 27th. If you didn’t pick up our hints from previous posts, the first DLC pack will contain new outfits and an additional hairstyle. Fans have been asking for additional customization, and we’re pleased to present these new additions for FREE as a gift to our fans! Thank you everyone for supporting The Lost Valley and providing feedback on what you wanted to see more of in the game. Keep watching for our next DLC packs in the coming months.

I wonder if they're adding that DLC first because it's easy to do or if it was the most requested feature?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dehry posted:

I wonder if they're adding that DLC first because it's easy to do or if it was the most requested feature?

Given A New Beginning was pretty much Harvest Moon: Fashion Show Edition in the clothes and hair options, I wouldn't be surprised if it'd been requested a lot.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Given A New Beginning was pretty much Harvest Moon: Fashion Show Edition in the clothes and hair options, I wouldn't be surprised if it'd been requested a lot.

I don't think I got any farther than early summer in that game before giving up on it. It looked like there were a lot of options still walled off.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dehry posted:

I don't think I got any farther than early summer in that game before giving up on it. It looked like there were a lot of options still walled off.

Yeah, once you get the hairdresser and the tailor it starts opening up in customizing your character. Though the clothes require materials. Hair colors and styles Clothing options.

Clothing wasn't gender locked either, aside from the initial character creation choices.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i 'beat' rune factory 4 and the gameplay is the best in the series, esp in terms of quality of life improvements and mechanics (holy poo poo being able to stack items of varying quality, why does no other game do this). im running around doing postgame poo poo atm, i like the new princess options

but goddamn the story was insanely bad lmao. like i know the plot is the least important part of these game but they could have put even a little effort into it, jeez. or if you're going to write a crappy VN to tack onto your fun action crafting game, at least make cutscenes skippable maybe

although it's pretty funny that literally everything in the game happens purely because everyone loves this annoying dragon more than anyone has ever loved anything before

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

...wtf i just realised i can give hats to villagers and make them wear them around town... why did no one tell me WHY AM I JUST REALISING THIS NOW

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Corridor posted:

...wtf i just realised i can give hats to villagers and make them wear them around town... why did no one tell me WHY AM I JUST REALISING THIS NOW

They dont always wear them, but it's pretty funny either way. Have fun on your annoying quest to actually get said dragon back!

The only thing that I really did not like was the random event system. Its not bad by itself, but when those events are a requirement for marriage it gets annoying quickly if you're waiting for a certain event to happen. I would have married Dolce way earlier if the game didnt decide to do everything else first, I ended up savescumming before an event day until the one I needed triggered.

Edit: Which "postgame" do you mean actually, because the main story is divded in two arcs actually and then has a third postgame arc.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Quick question, how much of Story of Seasons relies on being able to speak the language? Is it possible to find someone's .txt of a translation and survive off that?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Isn't it being brought over really really soon anyway?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

mycot posted:

Isn't it being brought over really really soon anyway?

March 10th, relatively soon. But I have a JP 3DS and I can get the game for next to nothing, so I figured why not.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

They dont always wear them, but it's pretty funny either way. Have fun on your annoying quest to actually get said dragon back!

oh wtf i have to get her back? i was having a good time loving around thinking how nice it was to not have to deal with her shanghaiing the plot with her emo poo poo all the time

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i don't really mind the event system bc everything's sorta been happening at a timely pace imo, and i haven't bothered dating any characters because literally all the bachelors are terrible. wtf kind of game says i can hook up with doug or leon but will NOT not let me marry volkannon

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The kid is quite adorable though, also you can go on a family trip with your spouse and kid and destroy all the dungeons with overpowered equipment. The last dungeon is really hard though, but it was a fun challenge to get through.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

The kid is quite adorable though, also you can go on a family trip with your spouse and kid and destroy all the dungeons with overpowered equipment. The last dungeon is really hard though, but it was a fun challenge to get through.

yeah i'd like to go slaughter giants with my tiny daughter, that'd own, but to get to that point i'd have to do the dating sim poo poo with one of these twee stereotypes and i just cannot be bothered

some of the bachelorettes are p cool, idk why all the dudes suck so much

the answer is that it is a game for children and im way out of this demographic lol

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Eh, I'd say a lot of players are actually. I went with Dolce on my game for sure. If they ever make another RF game I hope it has at least as much content as this one.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Eh, I'd say a lot of players are actually. I went with Dolce on my game for sure. If they ever make another RF game I hope it has at least as much content as this one.

dolce is good, xaio pai is good too. amber is prob my fav but i tried to imagine her bearing a child and my brain shut down

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like the butler dude. He's nice. Bado's the best though.

And how can I forget Porcoline.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

I like the butler dude. He's nice. Bado's the best though.

And how can I forget Porcoline.

bado's voice clip is great

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Corridor posted:

i don't really mind the event system bc everything's sorta been happening at a timely pace imo, and i haven't bothered dating any characters because literally all the bachelors are terrible. wtf kind of game says i can hook up with doug or leon but will NOT not let me marry volkannon

I've said this before, but I want to marry Bado. Give me my charmingly scruffy tall dwarf anime man. :mad:
The best thing about him is that if you put him in your party, he will not do anything until you get his friendship to like 8 or 9. Too lazy to help, even if you're getting beat to a pulp in front of him.
I believe I've heard other complaints about Illuminata and Lin Fa being unavailable as well.

The bachelors in Story of Seasons is looking pretty nice, though. I'm really interested in that game. Has there been a release date announced yet?

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 31, 2015

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

kurona_bright posted:

I've said this before, but I want to marry Bado. Give me my charmingly scruffy tall dwarf anime man. :mad:
I believe I've heard other complaints about Illuminata and Lin Fa being unavailable as well.

The bachelors in Story of Seasons is looking pretty nice, though. I'm really interested in that game. Has there been a release date announced yet?

Gamestop's site says March 10th, that's all we've got so far.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

man how annoying are the railroaded dialogue responses. my char will always stammer and blush at leon's pua negs, and will always turn down porcoline's offers of marriage :smith:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I really want to marry Bado but he's not eligible :( Also he loves scrap metal which is perfect. So I thought I'd woo Doug because I like his pink hair, but apparently he's an emo poo poo so gently caress that I'm just going with Arthur, it's like the easy option.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Man, I don't trust Arthur ever since that jerk foisted off all his farming duties onto an amnesiac. I guess that's why I ended up with Dylas? He's one of the easiest to romance because his favorite thing is milk porridge, as opposed to stew or grilled lamp squid or turnip heaven or friggin' golden curry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

kurona_bright posted:

The best thing about him is that if you put him in your party, he will not do anything until you get his friendship to like 8 or 9. Too lazy to help, even if you're getting beat to a pulp in front of him.

Lin Fa is married, but yes, she's charming. I wouldn't want to marry Illuminata, but it does annoy me that you can't marry her because there's absolutely no reason why you can't. The only thing I can think of is typical harvest moon bullshiit not allowing you to marry actually mature and responsible store owners.

For Bachelors I would think Kiell with his cooking and kindness was a shoo in, but I wasn't impressed by the others. Dylan gets a lot nicer and more interesting as you raise his affection though. He doesn't stay forever shy like Dolce. Not going to lie, I'd be all about Pico if I could romance her without Dolce.

• Locked thread