Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
They were missing a rocking soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Be careful what you wish for.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

mastershakeman posted:

The Hobbit movies were so bad they probably set back interest in fantasy by a decade.

I wouldn't say they were bad it just didn't need to be three, three hour long movies. The material was sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I am willing to forgive a lot (and there was a lot that needed to be forgiven) to be immersed in that gorgeous production design. I felt that despite the films' weakness compared to the first trilogy, the setting was brought to life again and I loved that. That's what I want out of a tabletop fantasy game.

But without, y'know, being a dick about "Verisimilitude" or "My Immersion" or anything like that.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

FMguru posted:

Awesome. "We're going to actively discourage people who have started playing the game in the last 7 years (4E players) from buying this edition - hey why are our sales so lovely?"

In fairness, this is also exactly what they did 7 years ago when they released 4E, aside from needing the "why are our sales so lovely?" Followup.

It worked once.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Next does indeed feel cheap, especially in comparison to Pathfinder

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

CaptainPsyko posted:

In fairness, this is also exactly what they did 7 years ago when they released 4E

Huh?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CaptainPsyko posted:

In fairness, this is also exactly what they did 7 years ago when they released 4E, aside from needing the "why are our sales so lovely?" Followup.

Actually, a lot of the "new" stuff in 4E is a natural progression from what 3.5E looks like with only Tier 3-4 classes using the late 3.5 splatbooks only. But most players didn't realized this because of the "core-only, splatbooks are all broken" mentality.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 29, 2015

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

golden bubble posted:

Actually, a lot of the "new" stuff in 4E is a natural progression from what 3.5E looks like with only Tier 3-4 classes using the late 3.5 splatbooks only. But most players didn't realized this because of the "core-only, splatbooks are all broken" mentality.

This, heavily. Anyone who used the Tome of Battle was completely unsurprised by what 4E was when it came out. Sadly a huge about of people did (and still do) think that ToB is some horrible weaboo crap.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

IT BEGINS posted:

This, heavily. Anyone who used the Tome of Battle was completely unsurprised by what 4E was when it came out. Sadly a huge about of people did (and still do) think that ToB is some horrible weaboo crap.
Yep. It was like, "wow this grew from ToB, the last few Complete X books, and phb2, which was all my favorite stuff!"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

golden bubble posted:

If there's anything I've learned about how splats are appreciated, it's that there is a large contingency of players who want a game to have lots of stats and "options" only so that they can ban them and feel better about themselves.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

ProfessorCirno posted:

If there's anything I've learned about how splats are appreciated, it's that there is a large contingency of players who want a game to have lots of stats and "options" only so that they can ban them and feel better about themselves.

I'm curious how long it'll be before we see a feat you can take more than once. And more importantly, will it be dead on arrival garbage, or actually good? :iiam:

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Moinkmaster posted:

I'm curious how long it'll be before we see a feat you can take more than once. And more importantly, will it be dead on arrival garbage, or actually good? :iiam:

There already is such a feat: Elemental Adept.

It's pretty decent, because you get to ignore enemy resistances and just flat-out do more damage. Naturally there is no such feat for swords.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Sage Genesis posted:

There already is such a feat: Elemental Adept.

It's pretty decent, because you get to ignore enemy resistances and just flat-out do more damage. Naturally there is no such feat for swords.

I had misread it as not mentioning that. So of course. And that survey they just put out asking about all the feats covered all of them except it when I took it; I wonder why?

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

CaptainPsyko posted:

It worked once.

Gonna chime in here and say drat was pathfinder's marketing campaign about this good. Considering its in the nerd hivemind now, well done Paizo.

Like people have said, everything in 4E is an evolution of late 3.5, expanding and building upon ideas from the last books while fixing serious core mechanical problems with the system. Things like fixing action economy, fixing spellcaster supremacy, fixing monster design, fixing encounter design - 4E is basically 3.5E with a lot of major complaints of the system addressed.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
e: nvm

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 30, 2015

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Laphroaig posted:

Gonna chime in here and say drat was pathfinder's marketing campaign about this good. Considering its in the nerd hivemind now, well done Paizo.

Like people have said, everything in 4E is an evolution of late 3.5, expanding and building upon ideas from the last books while fixing serious core mechanical problems with the system. Things like fixing action economy, fixing spellcaster supremacy, fixing monster design, fixing encounter design - 4E is basically 3.5E with a lot of major complaints of the system addressed.

That's what makes the accusations that 4e was "too different, man" so hollow. To anyone who's ever played anything besides DnD the two are extremely similar. I think the shift happened during a time in the gaming timeline where people were already 'tired' of innovation and saw all their favorite monkeys present in the transition (gamism/narrativism; player-first options; flexible, generic mechanics) and blanched. But really if you look under the hood and see how the game is actually played from table to table there's not a hell of a lot of difference. The fact that Wizards don't work quite the same way or that Fighters have a role to play in combat has virtually no effect on an the epic tale of medieval economics or whatever it is people try to do with 3.5 in the first place.

I think 5e is fun in play but I wouldn't claim its a good system for all the reasons people have posited in the past. I would say out of the other 3.X options it's probably my favorite and scratches a nice itch between AD&D and 3.X but I will the the first to admit that is a very specific itch.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Players in my game are starting to amass wealth with no money sink. We're looking for a simple system where they can invest in local infrastructure for benefits, e.g. plop 1k gold into the thieves guild, get access to street Intel, or distractions on request, etc.

Is there a system, even 3.5 or 4e we can crib from?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The 5e DMG has costs and upkeep for a variety of buildings with staff, have them keep a guild-house and add a "job fee" on top when they want something significant done?

Otherwise, eyeball it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Players in my game are starting to amass wealth with no money sink. We're looking for a simple system where they can invest in local infrastructure for benefits, e.g. plop 1k gold into the thieves guild, get access to street Intel, or distractions on request, etc.

3.5 has affiliations, which do roughly what you want. Stick money (and menial tasks) in, gain influence in an organization.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 30, 2015

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

You could let the players invest their money, and give them extra background perks as a reward? That seems pretty mechanically innocuous, but useful and fun.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
So the very first 5e threads were what got me going on making Sacred BBQ, which turned into Strike! And now I've made a Kickstarter for it!

I'm very excited about it, and I wanted to let you all know that I couldn't have done it without your griping and negativity. That sounds sarcastic, but it's actually the truth. I got so many good ideas from these threads! When criticism is constructive, good things can come of it.

It's not just a game for people who hate 5e, either. If you didn't like the overly long combats and boring out-of-combat parts of 4e, both Next and Strike are attempts at fixing those problems from different angles.

Show everyone what 5e could have been and support Strike!

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
^^^
Done.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I feel like you need at least double that to get where you're trying to go. That said, backed it because I love the idea.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I'm not sure ignoring something as completely as possible is the same as trying to fix something.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Jimbozig posted:

So the very first 5e threads were what got me going on making Sacred BBQ, which turned into Strike! And now I've made a Kickstarter for it!

I'm very excited about it, and I wanted to let you all know that I couldn't have done it without your griping and negativity. That sounds sarcastic, but it's actually the truth. I got so many good ideas from these threads! When criticism is constructive, good things can come of it.

It's not just a game for people who hate 5e, either. If you didn't like the overly long combats and boring out-of-combat parts of 4e, both Next and Strike are attempts at fixing those problems from different angles.

Show everyone what 5e could have been and support Strike!

This is interested (and I backed it) and you should start a thread.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Gerdalti posted:

This is interested (and I backed it) and yHaou should start a thread.

Have I got news for you...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Also backed it. Looks like you're going to hit your target no problem.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
I also backed it, I hope this is as successful as many other goon projects ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Elendil004 posted:

We found out the other day that an elephant is like 200GP whereas a war horse is 400GP.

Why aren't your players buying herds of war elephants?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kitchner posted:

Why aren't your players buying herds of war elephants?

It's because in a carefully constructed verisimilitudinous milieu, there would be no elephants for sale wherever the PCs currently are.

Or if you're playing in a good game, it's because nobody's realized how cheap elephants are yet.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
I figure buying as many dogs as possible would get under the "realistic" radar and still allow you to totally ruin the action economy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's the proverbial "white elephant" where the actual cost is backdoored into its upkeep.

Of course this is still dumb "roleplay the downside!" because of course players will feed their elephant army with their enemies' broken bodies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think "what can we spend our money on?" is one of those storygamey things where you don't necessarily need rules to adjudicate it - ask the players for what they want, and give it to them. The cost shouldn't really be related to what it actually would cost in a "real" sense, but rather tied into how much it'd influence the flow of the game as a percentage of their total wealth.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

What does he even need 1,000 elephants for?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A thousand undead elephants, a thousand elephant skeletons.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hey, they're playin' the elephant song!

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

A thousand undead elephants, a thousand elephant skeletons.

There is an elephant graveyard joke here waiting to be made.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

First Bass posted:

There is an elephant graveyard joke here waiting to be made.

A D&D murderhobo needs no song and dance number to remember to be prepared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

AlphaDog posted:

What does he even need 1,000 elephants for?

Maybe you really hate combat so much you want to end every encounter instantly by telling the DM you crush the enemies with an elephant stampede.

Also elephants can carry a poo poo ton of weight but presumably aren't very fast. So I was trying to work out if an elephant can carry enough weight to strap a war horse to the side of it. That way if you need to chase someone you just detach the horse and get on it.

I need to Google the average weight of a war horse though.