Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Boos for Blatter, let's go

And how the gently caress has Abbott not shoehorned himself awkwardly into this gathering of arseholes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Arquebus posted:

Ahhh Kruse out for another twelve months with a bad achilles injury, the ABC commentators just said - poor fucker can't catch a break, but at least he has this to celebrate

Looks like he's just spent the last 40 minutes in tears, poor bloke

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

webmeister posted:

Boos for Blatter, let's go

And how the gently caress has Abbott not shoehorned himself awkwardly into this gathering of arseholes

Gathering of arseholes might be my new favourite term, up there with a triggering of white girls

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Australia sweeping the awards, inluding fair play :laffo:

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

LordPants posted:

I don't get it.

Korea last won in like the dark ages or whatever. I did an afl-ism

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

South Korean keeper got screwed not to win best goalie. Tonight was the first time anyone got goals past him in the tournament!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Wow, Kruse looks really experienced with those crutches, eh?

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Haha yeah

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I thought the same thing and felt bad lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nice job keeping Asia down Australia.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I was at the pig in sunny Brisbane and it loving owned and I am loving drunk

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Shrapnig posted:

Nice job keeping Asia down Australia.

Down under my vinegary balls

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax
that owned

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Australia won a soccer thing

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Had a great night out in Airlie beach, Australia managed to sneak home and Newman got shafted. Perfect night.

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
loving champion lads, that was a great game

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Australia win and Kruse doing his achilles, can life be any better than this??

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Adnar posted:

Australia win and Kruse doing his achilles, can life be any better than this??

idgi

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

we are number, say we are number one! (I shouldn't tipsy post)

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
straya winning, luongo proving he's not totally unreliable, sepp getting booed and the lnp becoming one-term-wonders in a state election where the greens got the highest vote ever in that state

tonight was a very, very good night

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Pour some out for Robbie Kruse's achilles tendon :(

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
can you die from a hangover

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Shmoses posted:

can you die from a hangover

Not officially.

Many years ago a friend I knew died of a brain aneurysm whilst suffering a fairly bad hangover. Most likely coincidence, but there was always argument that the drinking exacerbated it.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Lunongo, Cahill and Davidson only 3 in final not to have played in A-League.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

MiniSune posted:

Not officially.

Many years ago a friend I knew died of a brain aneurysm whilst suffering a fairly bad hangover. Most likely coincidence, but there was always argument that the drinking exacerbated it.
good god man dont do this to me :smith:

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Shmoses posted:

good god man dont do this to me :smith:

It's only one out of a sample of thousands. Wouldn't bet on a nag at even a tenth of those odds.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Greatest time I've had for my 30th birthday this weekend - the wife bought us a trip to the Whitsundays, the tigers win some football, Liverpool won a game, the Australian team won the cup and the LNP got turfed out on their arse. So happy right now that it's hard to believe I'm not dreaming.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Gets better:

foxsports posted:

Socceroos relief as striker Robbie Kruse cleared of serious Achilles injury

Though Kruse is still waiting for scan results to confirm the damage, Socceroos doctors believe he hasn’t broken a bone in his foot either, but rather suffered ligament damage in his ankle.

Though that would entail three to four months out and effectively end his season - assuming the initial diagnosis is confirmed - it is a substantially better scenario than the 12 months or more sidelined that a ruptured Achilles tendon would have meant.

Ligament damage would allow Kruse to target Australia’s World Cup qualifiers in June as a point of return, and then a full pre-season with his club, Bayer Leverkusen, in Germany.

The player himself was said to be in relatively good spirits, despite having to move around on crutches, and was given permission to miss the Socceroos’ civic reception in Sydney.

The injury is still a blow to Kruse who had used the Asian Cup to return to full fitmess after the lengthy layoff that followed his serious knee injury last year, causing him to miss the World Cup and lose his place in the Leverkeusen side.

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

MiniSune posted:

Gets better:

:)

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
And that provincial retarded red headed step child of a domestic league we all love as a as a smiling carer with a helmeted child has returned.

Seriously, loving great news about Kruse. 3-4 months out is never good, but when we consider how bad we assumed - it would have put a huge dent in his career trajectory. He's still young enough to continue developing into a mature national team player, and I'm sure medical teams will be closely monitoring his situation even mroe at his future clubs.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
1-1 at half time between Citeh and Wanderers.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Not bad goals either, happy days ahead

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ooooh Ramsay, bad miss

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax
lol

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Lovely strike that

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I know it's a bit late but Australia winning the Asian Cup off a Nutmeg makes that official mascot even better

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
So is it safe to say that Tony Popovic was a fraud propped up by being allowed to ignore the rules?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Byolante posted:

So is it safe to say that Tony Popovic was a fraud propped up by being allowed to ignore the rules?

I wouldn't be that harsh.

He was able to assemble a squad with some reasonable players and a drat fine marquee (that most other teams have not matched before or since). Retaining a successful squad in this league is hard given the other clubs also looking for good & proven players and the threat of overseas dollars. Look at all the major championship sides - they are usually gutted within a few years from players doing what players do best - following the money.

The trick is to rebuild successfully and he has not done so as yet (Time may indeed tell).

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MiniSune posted:

I wouldn't be that harsh.

He was able to assemble a squad with some reasonable players and a drat fine marquee (that most other teams have not matched before or since). Retaining a successful squad in this league is hard given the other clubs also looking for good & proven players and the threat of overseas dollars. Look at all the major championship sides - they are usually gutted within a few years from players doing what players do best - following the money.

The trick is to rebuild successfully and he has not done so as yet (Time may indeed tell).

Its a lot easier to create a squad with a good marquee and amazing depth when you are being bankrolled by the organisers and are allowed more visa players than anyone else. Now those benefits are gone and he is having to run a club like everyone else he is unable to win a single game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Byolante posted:

I think so. He did well but no more than expected given that he was able to ignore the financial and national constraints on the rest of the league, it's the closest thing possible to buying the league. That said, it normally takes a while for a team to buy their way to success so managing to hit the ground running was his biggest achievement imo.

• Locked thread