Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I haven't played it but I think dungeon lords is kind of like that, with the additions of 1: you choose spaces with face down cards so you don't know which order things have been chosen in until all workers have been placed and 2: it's not always the first person to a space who gets the best benefit.

Caverna also has a "take an already used space" space which I think costs some food to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

In boardgaming related content, I was thinking about worker placement games. A lot of games have blocking other players as an important mechanic; I was wondering if there are any game where, instead of you blocking a space once you take it, if someone else really needs to go there the first person get's some kind of benefit as well?

It's not really worker placement, but this is the central mechanic of Hansa Teutonica. A big part of the game is putting your cubes where other players want to go, because your total cubes on the board increases if they push you out of the way.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

In boardgaming related content, I was thinking about worker placement games. A lot of games have blocking other players as an important mechanic; I was wondering if there are any game where, instead of you blocking a space once you take it, if someone else really needs to go there the first person get's some kind of benefit as well?

Spyrium doesn't have that but it has something that feels similar. The more people that crowd in the more expensive it it to activate. You can alternatively remove your piece and gain money equal to the workers there instead of activating the ability. So if everyone wants something you do you can just take money as a consultation.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I remember listening to an RPG podcast a billion years ago and the creators were involved in some kind of Living Campaign deal for the Firefly RPG. One time they or a guest talked about how if you were a fan of the show, you should buy one copy of the series to watch, a second copy as a backup/to show support, then at least one more copy to loan out to people to spread interest.

It's the first time I can remember every thinking "What is wrong with these people?" about some ridiculous fandom.

Ok, by 'Firefly fanboy', what I really mean is that I watched the show when it first aired, bought ONE copy of the DVD set, saw Serenity in theaters, and bought a copy of the Serenity RPG (which I later sold because it was kinda poo poo). I don't own a single piece of merch, have never referred to myself as a 'browncoat', and don't give a poo poo about spreading interest because, lets face it, it's loving over.

I guess that makes me not a true fan by many fans' standards, but gently caress 'em; they're the reason lovely games keep getting pushed out.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah, there's a wide margin between 'person who likes Firefly for what it was' and 'fanboy/girl who still stalks Nathan Fillion's social media, taking every reference to his early career as confirmation that the show will come back any day now.'

Unfortunately there are enough people in the latter camp that the logo alone will sell drat near anything. Quite possibly with each making their purchases by the pallet load.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I remember listening to an RPG podcast a billion years ago and the creators were involved in some kind of Living Campaign deal for the Firefly RPG. One time they or a guest talked about how if you were a fan of the show, you should buy one copy of the series to watch, a second copy as a backup/to show support, then at least one more copy to loan out to people to spread interest.

It's the first time I can remember every thinking "What is wrong with these people?" about some ridiculous fandom.

What's wrong with Firefly fans is that there's no strong counterbalance to the obsessives. Imagine if Star Trek had never achieved cultural penetration - no spinoffs, no movie series, no reboot - and was now mostly only remembered by Trekkies. That's Firefly and its fandom.

quote:

Viticulture has multiple spaces for each action but the first person in can claim a benefit. That's the closest I know of.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Paper Kaiju posted:

Ok, by 'Firefly fanboy', what I really mean is that I watched the show when it first aired, bought ONE copy of the DVD set, saw Serenity in theaters, and bought a copy of the Serenity RPG (which I later sold because it was kinda poo poo). I don't own a single piece of merch, have never referred to myself as a 'browncoat', and don't give a poo poo about spreading interest because, lets face it, it's loving over.

I guess that makes me not a true fan by many fans' standards, but gently caress 'em; they're the reason lovely games keep getting pushed out.

Oh, that wasn't directed at you, it's just an anecdote I remembered when Firefly fans were brought up. :)

Office Sheep posted:

Spyrium doesn't have that but it has something that feels similar. The more people that crowd in the more expensive it it to activate. You can alternatively remove your piece and gain money equal to the workers there instead of activating the ability. So if everyone wants something you do you can just take money as a consultation.

I was thinking about games where claiming the space first/earlier is rewarded, rather than going later being punished. Viticulture, like Jedit said, is more like what I was going for.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 31, 2015

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I was thinking about games where claiming the space first/earlier is rewarded, rather than going later being punished. Viticulture, like Jedit said, is more like what I was going for.

Oh I thought you mean the first person got something else instead. I interpreted that exactly wrong.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Paper Kaiju posted:

Yeah, put me in this camp as well. A friend's picked up the Firefly boardgame so I'll probably get to have a mediocre experience with it any day now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Finally learned the rules and played my first full game of Civilisation after owning it since 2012.

It was fun!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gort posted:

Yeah, put me in this camp as well. A friend's picked up the Firefly boardgame so I'll probably get to have a mediocre experience with it any day now.

Welcome to being me, last week.

:smith:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Is it fixable, and how much work would it take to turn into a good game?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

(Assuming you mean Firefly)

If you're a fan of the show, play it to have fun and make references to the show, and get rid of the winning altogether. Just fly around and shoot the poo poo in space until you get bored/run out of time, then stop.

If you want to make it a better game without hacking it too much, give multiple options for how to win, so that one arbitrary condition you have to get very lucky to fulfill isn't the only way to win. I was thinking first to 5 jobs for one person, first to one job for each person, first to X money, first to visit all the planets, maybe, something like that.

If you wanna hack the poo poo out of it?

Get rid of most of the decks of random cards, do the same stuff about victory conditions, make it possible to buy specific things rather than random things, probably do something about the fact that 'you can only do a given action once per turn' means that if you botch a job on a lovely out of the way planet as your first action, you basically lose the second action.

Basically, rebuild it from the ground up, keeping the map and the minis, and maybe some of the cards.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

Basically, rebuild it from the ground up, keeping the map and the minis, and maybe some of the cards.

You're mostly describing Xia as well, that other new fly-around-in-space game.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Is Imperial Assault a FF game where I'll eventually need to buy more than one core set? Is one core enough for me and my friends to play, or do we all need a separate copy?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

ambushsabre posted:

Is Imperial Assault a FF game where I'll eventually need to buy more than one core set? Is one core enough for me and my friends to play, or do we all need a separate copy?

It's released as a board game. One copy. Further expansions only add stuff to fight and such (what I've heard).

So yeah, only one copy for a group.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ravendas posted:

You're mostly describing Xia as well, that other new fly-around-in-space game.
It really says something when "vastly improved Firefly game" is still kinda poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ambushsabre posted:

You would only need multiple copies, one per person, if you're looking to play in tournaments is my understanding.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Played multiple games of Keyflower tonight, got screwed in winter every game, still enjoyed it immensely.

Keyflower is so loving good.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bubble-T posted:

Played multiple games of Keyflower tonight, got screwed in winter every game, still enjoyed it immensely.

Keyflower is so loving good.

Get more green workers.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Supreme Court posted:

Too much to bother.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

The Supreme Court posted:

If you want a game in the same genre that's less work to fix into at least a fairly good game, I hear Xia is the perfect* fit.

*the fact that it needs fixing in the first place not withstanding

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If you want a pick up and deliver game in space that also involves shooting aliens get loving Terra Prime.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Poison Mushroom posted:

It really says something when "vastly improved Firefly game" is still kinda poo poo.

I meant that Xia too needed an overhaul to make it better. The pieces, tiles and figures are all nice, it's just the rules are rather unbalanced in many ways, and frustrating in others.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Oh, that wasn't directed at you, it's just an anecdote I remembered when Firefly fans were brought up. :)

Rahdo reviewed a game called Asking for Trobils that does this. Players have a certain number of workers to place on locations, and once they place all of their workers, then they need to take a turn to recall workers. If another player places a worker where you already have one, your worker is bumped back into your worker pool, which saves you from having to take a recall action. It's pretty simple and elegant, since it's not a huge bonus, but if you place your workers such that the opposing player needs to keep bumping them to do the actions they want to do, you'll come out ahead overall by saving more turns.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dirk the Average posted:

Rahdo reviewed a game called Asking for Trobils that does this. Players have a certain number of workers to place on locations, and once they place all of their workers, then they need to take a turn to recall workers. If another player places a worker where you already have one, your worker is bumped back into your worker pool, which saves you from having to take a recall action. It's pretty simple and elegant, since it's not a huge bonus, but if you place your workers such that the opposing player needs to keep bumping them to do the actions they want to do, you'll come out ahead overall by saving more turns.

Euphoria uses the same mechanic. I didn't mention it because getting workers bumped from the board is not always a benefit in that game.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What is the best digital versions of these board games? Preferably for PC. Is it still BSW? Or are there good games on Steam?

So far, my favorite board games I've played have been Lords of Waterdeep, Dog, Voluspa, Kingdom Builder, Roll Through the Ages, and Dominion.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Capsaicin posted:

What is the best digital versions of these board games? Preferably for PC. Is it still BSW? Or are there good games on Steam?

So far, my favorite board games I've played have been Lords of Waterdeep, Dog, Voluspa, Kingdom Builder, Roll Through the Ages, and Dominion.

When you say "these board games" do you mean something recently discussed, or thread favorites, or just board games in general?

PC options are still limited. BSW is still a good source. More board games are starting to come on PC here there but it's still a small selection. You've basically got Talisman, Witcher Adventure Game, Space Hulk, and Small World. There are probably a couple others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I like Witcher Adventure Game personally but it doesn't resonate with a lot of people here. Also it requires human players that you already know. The offline is poo poo, the online pickup community is non-existent.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Chomp8645 posted:

When you say "these board games" do you mean something recently discussed, or thread favorites, or just board games in general?

PC options are still limited. BSW is still a good source. More board games are starting to come on PC here there but it's still a small selection. You've basically got Talisman, Witcher Adventure Game, Space Hulk, and Small World. There are probably a couple others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I like Witcher Adventure Game personally but it doesn't resonate with a lot of people here. Also it requires human players that you already know. The offline is poo poo, the online pickup community is non-existent.

European style board games. Thread favorites, etc. I realized I was being vague and was too dumb to change it apparently. I know Catan/TTR/Carcassone are on about every platform available, but I was just looking for more stuff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dominion is online at playdominion.com although the implementation is rocky. VASSAL is still your best bet for playing games online, and that's rarely rule-enforced and doesn't have AI.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Capsaicin posted:

Board Game Arena has a decent selection, as does Yucata. I've never tried Boite a Jeux but it looks like it's got a nice collection as well.

Yucata's got Roll Through the Ages and BGA has a bunch of worker placement games in addition to other stuff.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
BGA is the primary place to play poo poo nowadays, they have a good selection and their site doesn't suck. If BSW's still around I guess you can use it. Lots of people use VASSAL for things that aren't available elsewhere. Finally, there's BGO to play Through the Ages and the official Dominion site which has had a colorful and tumultuous history.

edit: goddamn 4 posts all at the same time?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

Many games have iOS or Android apps. Search them in the various app stores.

Dominion, in particular, has Androminion which is free Android app.

And Through the Ages (the original, not the dice version) is totally free online: http://boardgaming-online.com/

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Worth noting that there are a couple of really good, rules-enforced VASSAL modules, Twilight Struggle being the big one

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Capsaicin posted:

There are solid implementations of games on a lot of platforms these days, but the iPad definitely has the best selection. Carcassonne and Galaxy Trucker are particular standouts in how well they're presented. Hopefully more of that stuff makes its way to Steam. You can play Ticket to Ride with a mix of PCs, Macs, iPads and Android tablets. I'd like to see more of that.

Worth noting: If you're looking to get into Dominion Online, the Humble Card Game Bundle is probably the best deal you'll see for a while, and you have two days to buy it. Card Hunter is pretty good, too. Just ignore the Talisman keys that they foist upon you.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Capsaicin posted:

Yomi has one of the best online game clients I can think of, and also it loving owns. Also a really good tutorial.

http://www.fantasystrike.com/game/index.php

You can also play Puzzle Strike and Flash Duel there.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Capsaicin posted:

For Magic Realm there is Realmspeak.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Countblanc posted:

Yomi has one of the best online game clients I can think of, and also it loving owns. Also a really good tutorial.

http://www.fantasystrike.com/game/index.php

You can also play Puzzle Strike and Flash Duel there.

What's main difference between yomi and battlecon? I am looking to grab one soon.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think changing the flight in firefly to one event card instead of one per space would go a long way to making it less meh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Meh, as noted, just making it a die roll would do much the same. But making it non-random would do more - making flight through a sector move the relevant baddie automatically and if you land up in the wrong square, you resolve it. No salvage ops or family dinners at all, probably.

I also think buying disgruntled crew should have some kind of cost - it's entirely too easy for them to get randomly disgruntled and when they are, too easy for someone to just pinch them. Maybe a fuel and a part, to represent the cost of actually physically moving them from ship to ship, and the shipboard gear they presumably take with them like space suits or whatever.

Basically, as noted earlier, it's a bad, bad game and basically needs a complete redesign in order to work. Or, instead of playing it, just have some friends over and watch firefly whilst playing a better space trading game like Merchants of Venus or that mining one where you go round four sectors of the board in a little rocket ship whose name I can't for the life of me remember.

Or Galaxy Trucker, actually.