Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I wonder what those arrows are going to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Nihilarian posted:

Something underwater, if anything.

(there are "sploosh"es in the second to last panel)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nihilarian posted:

The ocean.
:rimshot:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

Nothing, of course. Missed arrows in D&D don't hit anything else unless you're using optional deviation rules. The arrows will simply cease to exist.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The "sploosh" is there just to tell Rich's readers that no, fetching the arrows back and trying again is not an option right now.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I really dislike how the penultimate panel has Haley standing to the left of Crystal, and the final panel has Haley running to the right to get away. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

XkyRauh posted:

I really dislike how the penultimate panel has Haley standing to the left of Crystal, and the final panel has Haley running to the right to get away. :(

Perspective! Objectively they could be running to the left still except the camera is now on the opposite side.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Anatharon posted:

unrelated where'd that come from? It's kinda funny.

Not a clue. I've only encountered it as that image.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Perspective! Objectively they could be running to the left still except the camera is now on the opposite side.
30 Degree Rule

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

But its supposed to be a jump cut though?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

But its supposed to be a jump cut though?
Then it's breaking the 180-degree rule instead.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

XkyRauh posted:

She probably just aced her Tumble check going left to right past Crystal. :razz:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's a dead end behind Crystal.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I think he's building up to it and the thread figured it out ahead of time and now I'm just waiting for him to say it :argh:
The Crystal crystal golem joke isn't happening, sorry to say. Rich himself stated what Crystal is after he got fed up with speculation.

Rich Burlew posted:

It's not a revenant. It's a flesh golem. Give it up already.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fossilized Rappy posted:

The Crystal crystal golem joke isn't happening, sorry to say. Rich himself stated what Crystal is after he got fed up with speculation.

:saddowns:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fossilized Rappy posted:

This is the response of a man who is unhappy that his readers came up with a much better joke than he did.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

God bless Rich and his comic but realistically he doesn't really go for gags this subtle.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It would be a funny joke, but can you imagine the meltdowns on his forums if a crystal golem was made of shards of a chick named Crystal?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angela Christine posted:

It would be a funny joke, but can you imagine the meltdowns on his forums if a crystal golem was made of shards of a chick named Crystal?

Yes. And now we'll never see them. :(

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
It's was pretty obvious it wasn't going to be, given how rarely he references splatbooks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

But it is a Crystal golem.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Brony Hunter posted:

It's was pretty obvious it wasn't going to be, given how rarely he references splatbooks.

Not to mention it requires a lol 16 caster to make one, there's been no indication so far that Bozzok knows anyone that powerful, and Burlew cares about such details.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

DoctorTristan posted:

Not to mention it requires a lol 16 caster to make one, there's been no indication so far that Bozzok knows anyone that powerful, and Burlew cares about such details.

Laurin (or however her name's spelled) kind of leaps to mind. Boz could've known of her through his association with Tarquin.

Granted, it's an entirely moot point now. :v:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So I was poking around the comic and I think I found, in retrospect of the whole, the best subtle indication of just how well Xykon hides how dangerous he is. Specifically, this one.

Here we have Jirix (who Xykon, revealed a few strips later, specifically asked to 'hang out' with him) with Tsukino and a random wight. Xykon is an immensely powerful sorcerer slash undead abomination who's his boss' boss. And while it's kind of hard to tell posture with Rich's drawing style, Jirix seems to be sitting in a way like he's leaning sideways into the chair, like he's with old friends, a very relaxed position. With his superior's superior the lich in front of him, he's acting like he does this all the time. Heck, Redcloak even sees fit to WARN Jirix about this several more strips later.

It really is astonishing how well Xykon can get people to ignore what's right in front of them until he's throwing Symbol-Balls around or doing poo poo like the thing that (seemingly) bound Redcloak to his service.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cornwind Evil posted:

So I was poking around the comic and I think I found, in retrospect of the whole, the best subtle indication of just how well Xykon hides how dangerous he is. Specifically, this one.

Here we have Jirix (who Xykon, revealed a few strips later, specifically asked to 'hang out' with him) with Tsukino and a random wight. Xykon is an immensely powerful sorcerer slash undead abomination who's his boss' boss. And while it's kind of hard to tell posture with Rich's drawing style, Jirix seems to be sitting in a way like he's leaning sideways into the chair, like he's with old friends, a very relaxed position. With his superior's superior the lich in front of him, he's acting like he does this all the time. Heck, Redcloak even sees fit to WARN Jirix about this several more strips later.

It really is astonishing how well Xykon can get people to ignore what's right in front of them until he's throwing Symbol-Balls around or doing poo poo like the thing that (seemingly) bound Redcloak to his service.

Nice points. The showdown between Redcloak and Xykon is going to be so tasty.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

Nice points. The showdown between Redcloak and Xykon is going to be so tasty.

Redcloak has Xykon's true phylactery, so that gives him an advantage or at least a bargaining chip. Both have been secretly preparing for this fight for a very long time, and honestly I'm going to bet that it will be Xykon who makes the first move. He's been aware of Redcloak's looming sudden but inevitable betrayal for a long time now and screwing up that plan by forcing it to happen sooner rather than later is his style. Plus Xykon as a sorcerer is always prepared save for his item selection. If he were smart he'd spring it just before Redcloak is due to pray for new spells and is thus at his weakest. But more likely he'll want to make it sporting and at least give Redcloak the benefit of a full spell list. Or not, who knows!

I'm really looking forward to it happening in 2020 either way.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Xykon and Redcloak are in a weird situation where both are plotting to betray the other, both know that the other is probably plotting to betray them, but each has given up so much to get to this point that they still have to go ahead with their joint plan even knowing the risks.

As you say, the payoff will be great in five years' time.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I kinda wonder how much Xykon even really cares about the grand plan. He's already the most powerful character in the setting and he seems to have his doubts that the plan will benefit him much. He wants to be a big villain, and he hates wizards and paladins more than anything. Now he's a definite threat to the world, he killed Dorukan, who was probably the strongest wizard around, and keeps his trapped soul in his chest pocket, and he conquered paladin city and established a slave economy hobgoblin city in its place. How long could he rule the world before getting bored? Wouldn't letting Redcloak have a dagger at the back of the gods be more fun than that?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You optimists. Personally, I have a written contract obliging my unborn grandchildren to do a seance to read out the end of this comic to my ghost.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Maybe we'll get another of the kickstarter stories this year. That would be nice.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

DoctorTristan posted:

As you say, the payoff will be great in five years' time.

More like twenty years at this pace.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

OotS will finish up just in time for Rich to make a "Why I didn't convert to Eighth Edition" post in the public mindspace supernet forums.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

DoctorTristan posted:

Maybe we'll get another of the kickstarter stories this year. That would be nice.

They've taken a long time - but I just wanted to point out how loving brilliant a plan it was to include those in his kickstarter. I had no plan to buy the collection books (I have the prequels though) but seeing as how he was going to make a few kickstarter comics I threw $10 towards the kickstarter to get them. I bet plenty of people did that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Colonel Cool posted:

More like twenty years at this pace.

At that point I'm willing to bet he'll only be revealing yet another side antagonist as Sabine once more looks for another cleric to true wish Nale back again.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

MrFlibble posted:

They've taken a long time - but I just wanted to point out how loving brilliant a plan it was to include those in his kickstarter. I had no plan to buy the collection books (I have the prequels though) but seeing as how he was going to make a few kickstarter comics I threw $10 towards the kickstarter to get them. I bet plenty of people did that.

The most amusing thing about the kickstarter run, to me, was that the entire point of it was to get some of the print editions back in print; but, the kickstarter had so many backers that it blew through two full reprint orders by the time it was done.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Rich's intention is still to do other writing/comic things after OOTS, right? I hope he realizes that no-one is going to stick around for a new "big story" if he can't keep a schedule at least through the first year.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The man will be retirement age after OOTS at this pace.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

MrFlibble posted:

That was his single best idea of the Kickstarter because digital comics scale so well with volume.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Calaveron posted:

At that point I'm willing to bet he'll only be revealing yet another side antagonist as Sabine once more looks for another cleric to true wish Nale back again.

Nale isn't coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

e X posted:

Nale isn't coming back.

Nale isn't coming back to life, maybe, but I think he's going to return to the story at some point. Rich showing Sabine exploding and Lawful Evil souls being dumped into Lee's 'inbox' after Nale got disintegrated suggests Rich is not done with him yet. He's probably going to be the Fiends' pawn or something.