Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Slung Blade posted:

He can't, they need a few months to figure out what to do about the budget, lmbo.

Ontario on the whole seems to like him for some reason though. I cannot figure that out at all, I thought you guys used to at least be a moderate center type area back in the nineties. What happened?

There have been a lot of words written on this subject as to why it has happened, but the consensus seems to be that over the last thirty years or so, the political spectrum in Western society has shifted, to varying degrees, to the right. It's why you see the federal Liberals today occupying largely the same ideological territory as the pre-Mulroney Tories, and for the matter why the NDP are today only ever so slightly left of where Chretien's Liberals were twenty years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It would be nice if the legislature would take a pay cut if they want to cut government spending.

UnFriendly Fire
Jun 19, 2003
not friendly
It's seriously nice enough that I'm considering taking my camaro out for a spin. I'll need a new windshield afterwards though. And a wash.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I used my truck to punch a hole through a knee deep snow drift so i didn't have to shovel a path through it, i got stuck because i forgot to put it into 4x4 before doing so. After thrashing around to get out, my wheels are now super clean, and the truck is still super dirty, it looks awesome. all my attempted pics turned out as blurry crap, i'll try to get one in the morning if i remember.

Also, 16* and sunny on sunday in calgary, that's going to be....wet

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slung Blade posted:

He can't, they need a few months to figure out what to do about the budget, lmbo.

Ontario on the whole seems to like him for some reason though. I cannot figure that out at all, I thought you guys used to at least be a moderate center type area back in the nineties. What happened?

Toronto suburbs, Ford nation, and gently caress you got mine happened.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

I used my truck to punch a hole through a knee deep snow drift so i didn't have to shovel a path through it, i got stuck because i forgot to put it into 4x4 before doing so. After thrashing around to get out, my wheels are now super clean, and the truck is still super dirty, it looks awesome. all my attempted pics turned out as blurry crap, i'll try to get one in the morning if i remember.

Also, 16* and sunny on sunday in calgary, that's going to be....wet

Snow is gone down in Lethbridge so if I can wing it I'll break out the bike.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

+22C and not even a whisper of a breeze. Goddamn what a Jan 26

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some serious poo poo going down by schlumberger in red deer here.

http://www.reddeer.ca/whats-happening/news-room/rcmp-news-releases/rcmp-2015-01-26-incident-at-mckenzie-road.html

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Disgruntled ex-employee?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I guess somebody tried stealing a truck out of the schlumberger parking lot, got caught, and pulled a gun.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ex-MP car from CFB Suffield. Could genuinely be a good deal if you could get it for close reserve. Way cleaner and lower KMs than typical ex-cop cars on auction.

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=179601&lcn=324970&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&ltnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

Diggin' the :whatup: rims

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Hey Slung Blade, I was talking with a friend of mine the other day and he was telling me that his tractor (I didn't catch the brand, but it's a small one - 20 horsepower or so) had a pretty major engine failure recently and that he was thinking of an electric conversion. I was wondering if you had any sources of information that might be useful if he pursues this avenue?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gas jumped 11 fuckin cents a liter overnight.

you're kind of numb to that poo poo when it's going from 1.30 to 1.41, but when it's going from 72 to 83, that's a big jump.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My company's stocks also lost a full dollar overnight. From summer till now they went from 18 down to 4.50. Time to buy buy buy.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Powershift and I pretty much take over any thread with our own bullshit. To get back on track:

Targa Newfoundland. I forgot this existed, I watched the first even coverage via Motoring 2002 or whatever, years ago. I watched a shitload of footage on youtube last night. That poo poo looks fun although I've never driven in an event which requires a navigator/copilot. I suppose some sort of rally videogame would be decent training ?

What sort of rally/offroad races exist in Alberta ? I've got the itch to build up some sort of project. Not to win, just to have fun.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a road rally, in grand touring class, you can't go over 130kph, and there is a target time for each stage, you get dinged for going faster or slower than the target time. There are a couple classes for electrical timing and no electrical timing, and that's where the co-driver comes in.

They're not giving you turn by turn course directions, they're managing time.

i have researched this a lot.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Canadian Rally Championship exists if you want to go full on big balls stage rally.

There are a number of regional TSD road rally events, which are what Powershift is describing. They are still fun as hell.

There are a series of small rallycross events, mostly centered around Ghost Lake these days.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

or you can just wait for breaup and drive up and down forrestry trunk road.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CSCC puts on TSD rallies (like powershift described) occasionally but they don't close the roads or anything for them. I think the next one is the GNU in march up by Rocky Mountain House. I'm not sure if I'm doing that one though as its entirely dependent on me bandaging the damage inflicted on my shitbox from the last one.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

jonathan posted:

What sort of rally/offroad races exist in Alberta ? I've got the itch to build up some sort of project. Not to win, just to have fun.

Shoota_McG's buddies do a LeMons rally up at somebody's farm around Whitecourt

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm not sure if I'm doing [TRAIL OF THE MOTHERFUCKING GNUUUUU] though as its entirely dependent on me bandaging the damage inflicted on my shitbox from the last one.

What are you running? I had a great time on the Loop a few years ago with my old '97 Impreza (RIP). I'd love to try it again with a more gimmicky car in the near future.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What are you running? I had a great time on the Loop a few years ago with my old '97 Impreza (RIP). I'd love to try it again with a more gimmicky car in the near future.

mk2 VW scirocco with blown out raceland coil overs and no rear brakes that does double duty as my autocross car. Ask me how I'm on my third oil pan in under a year. I really need to start searching for a new career so I can finally put some money into that thing Its definitely more fun when you have a garbage car. I'm trying to find an old Audi 4000 quattro but that seems extremely unlikely.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Are you the STF guy with that white Mk2 Rocco, #333 that cocks a rear wheel on absolutely any steering input?

Because if so I'm the guy with the black ES Miata whose signs keep falling off.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are you the STF guy with that white Mk2 Rocco, #333 that cocks a rear wheel on absolutely any steering input?

Because if so I'm the guy with the black ES Miata whose signs keep falling off.

That would be me.

edit: its actually now in FSP now because DOHC.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Congratulations, I love your car (and I think I've told you that I do). I should have probably guessed you were a goon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

if you're looking for a dedicated rally car, CPA in calgary somehow ends up with "out of country, parts only" cars that go for $300-$500 in running condition. Last auction there was a legacy, the one before that there were diesel mercedes limos.

rallylimo would be pretty hilarious to see.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Had a laugh at this story about a stolen R32 GT-Argh in Calgary
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=45908.0%3btopicseen

yesterday evening

quote:

Hey guys. I recently read on JDMVIP that Brian at B-Pro had his personal vehicle stolen in the Calgary area yesterday. He is offering a $1000 reward and a waiver on an import fee if you decide to import a car through him. Hopefully some of you Calgary folks can keep an eye out for this car cruising around town and help Brian get his car back. I have the link to the original post as well as some pictures posted below.

earlier today

quote:

I heard it was recovered. It broke down (LOL JDM) and they caught the thief walking away from it. Both car and thief are in custody.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Immediately reminded of the Lobster Claw Bandit

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I saw an R33 Skyline today in Saskatoon. First one I've seen here. I find it kind of funny that people run a car with potentially JDM only parts on it in the winter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Timmy Cruise posted:

I saw an R33 Skyline today in Saskatoon. First one I've seen here. I find it kind of funny that people run a car with potentially JDM only parts on it in the winter.

Why is that funny? they can just overnight parts from japan.

There's a 4 door R34 in town here with primer all over it. It's a good looking car apart from that, shame we never got them here, only the dumpy G35/G37 sedans.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So what cars can take a jump without self destructing ? I guess its all in the bumpstop ?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Unibody design too. Much as they all have problem spots for rust, they're all going to have weak points structurally as well.

Make sure the motor mounts and balljoints are in good condition also, nothing worse than sticking the landing but having your powertrain not get the hint and keep going without you.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

jonathan posted:

So what cars can take a jump without self destructing ? I guess its all in the bumpstop ?

If you're just running TSDs your stock suspension should be fine so long as you aren't running something like a S2000. I've been running the absolute most bottom of the barrel garbage coilovers through a few TSDs and there is still a little bit of life left in them, aside from getting sucked off the road the second a tire goes a little bit off they're livable.

If you want something a little extra Bilstein HDs are the way to go from what I've read and they're probably what I'm putting in this summer. If you want to go full rally you can try contacting some mentalist in Seattle who's name escapes me. I hear he's impossible to deal with but builds the best rally suspension around.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

MrChips posted:

Hey Slung Blade, I was talking with a friend of mine the other day and he was telling me that his tractor (I didn't catch the brand, but it's a small one - 20 horsepower or so) had a pretty major engine failure recently and that he was thinking of an electric conversion. I was wondering if you had any sources of information that might be useful if he pursues this avenue?

Like a lawn tractor for mowing grass, or a little garden tractor for working a vegetable garden?

Either way, yeah, I'll see if I can dig up some of the stuff I was using as reference when I built mine.

Can he fabricate things? Well equipped with tools and a loose sense of morality along with delusions of competence?

I know those traits sure helped me.

Feel free to pm me later, I'll give you my email.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Like a lawn tractor for mowing grass, or a little garden tractor for working a vegetable garden?

Either way, yeah, I'll see if I can dig up some of the stuff I was using as reference when I built mine.

Can he fabricate things? Well equipped with tools and a loose sense of morality along with delusions of competence?

I know those traits sure helped me.

Feel free to pm me later, I'll give you my email.

It's a small garden tractor; he uses it for brush mowing, plowing snow and tending his vegetable garden. He's got a well-equipped garage/metal shop and he's pretty handy with a MIG welder. Also, the guy is a goddamned wizard when it comes to electronics and coding, so it wouldn't surprise me if he might take a shot at making his own controllers for the thing.

We're meeting up at the pub tonight for drinks; I'll try to get more info then.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hey, what the hell is this white stuff all over the ground.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I've never seen it before...I suspect it's all the blow the rig pigs aren't putting up their noses.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Timmy Cruise posted:

That's awesome. I've never seen one in this province outside of the car show in the summer when some people showed up with showroom queens. There was very little on display that had actually been driven.

My dream is to DD all drat year a Skyline, either R32 or R33. Treat your suspension like wear parts and replace everything from the springs down every two years. :toot:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait Kastein lives in Alberta ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nah, he just smelled the potential of sweet jumps and wandered in here.