Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Joe, am I correct in remembering that a brokered primary was how Eisenhower got the nod in 1952?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Acrophyte posted:

Joe, am I correct in remembering that a brokered primary was how Eisenhower got the nod in 1952?

Yes. Nixon convinced the CA delegation to flip from Earl Warren on the train to the convention.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Yes. Nixon convinced the CA delegation to flip from Earl Warren on the train to the convention.

Why did they have to argue at all when Eisenhower was basically a guaranteed winner?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Just be thankful they did. Bob Taft was basically Ron Paul before it was cool. His platform was undoing the entire New Deal.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Badger of Basra posted:

Why did they have to argue at all when Eisenhower was basically a guaranteed winner?

Ike was barely a Republican

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lockback posted:

Ike was barely a Republican

Ike was the best Republican president since Lincoln.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

comes along bort posted:

This is pro-click as gently caress youse guys. Get in on that poo poo.

loving owned, RE: dude who was excited for Romney in this.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

loving owned, RE: dude who was excited for Romney in this.

:smith:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Poor Romney. Not willing to spend any more of his fortune on the one thing he knows he can't buy.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mitt Romney: Assistant Secretary of Dog Transportation

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Mitt never had anything to offer as VP.

e: I take that back, he could balance Rubio. But Rubio's going to be bald by 2016

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

SedanChair posted:

e: I take that back, he could balance Rubio. But Rubio's going to be bald by 2016

He's going to be a better Lex Luthor than Jesse Eisenberg.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SedanChair posted:

"And so my fellow Americans-" *awkwardly applies Rogaine via plastic dropper*

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The national primary scene is going to eat that hairline alive through stress hormones. He should have started to get it repaired a few years ago as soon as his national ambitions took hold. Its too late now to show up to the debates after taking two weeks out of the spotlight with a picket fence of sore-looking plugs.

He cannot change his cut until he fixes his harline. But when he looks in the mirror he still somehow sees this:

Which allows him to cling to it and not feel weak or open to attack if he gets a transplant. But if he is going to stay bald he needs to hurry up and drop the schoolboy vibe and switch over to this cut to minimize the silly poufyness and stop looking like he's hiding something.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Who is the last bald/balding president we've had?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Il Federale posted:

Who is the last bald/balding president we've had?

Gerald Ford, probably.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

shadow puppet of a posted:

He cannot change his cut until he fixes his harline. But when he looks in the mirror he still somehow sees this:

It isn't true, Marco. Alright? Take it from me.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ThirdPartyView posted:

Gerald Ford, probably.

Okay, now what about the last one who was actually elected?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Wanamingo posted:

Okay, now what about the last one who was actually elected?

lbj or eisenhower, depending on how much you want to qualify "bald"

the question for the christie campaign is when was the last time we had a fat president? Taft?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
H W was balding in much the same way Rubio is.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

QwertyAsher posted:

lbj or eisenhower, depending on how much you want to qualify "bald"

the question for the christie campaign is when was the last time we had a fat president? Taft?

Depending on how you define fat, Clinton. He was never morbifdly obese, but when first elected, he loved junk food. Probably the only president who left the presidency healthier than when he entered it.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 31, 2015

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I'll miss Romney. In a field of cranks and psychopaths, he was an everyday oligarch who just wanted to buy his family a presidency for Christmas. :unsmith:

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Peel posted:

In a field of cranks and psychopaths, he was an everyday oligarch who just wanted to buy his family a presidency for Christmas. :unsmith:

:mitt:_obituary.txt

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Joementum posted:

Just be thankful they did. Bob Taft was basically Ron Paul before it was cool. His platform was undoing the entire New Deal.

He is the namesake of the Taft Act, and its evil correct?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

Depending on how you define fat, Clinton. He was never morbifdly obese, but when first elected, he loved junk food. Probably the only president who left the presidency healthier than when he entered it.
He still had to have a quadruple bypass a few years back.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
And I don't think any president leaves the job healthier really; it's an incredibly stressful job. Just look at those before/after presidency makeover photos.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hence why I said only. He completely revamped his diet and started excercising while president. He looks a lot better than any other 8 year president.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 31, 2015

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Joementum posted:

Before the 1972 McGovern primary reform balloted primaries weren't run in most states and even in those where they were most of the time the delegates weren't pledged to a campaign. That meant that the state party chairman, an influential politician, and union leaders hand picked their delegates and could speak for the entire delegation. This was also the tail end of the age of machine politics where most of the delegates owed their employment to the party leaders. An example of how this worked was at the '68 RNC where Strom Thurmond, who controlled multiple Southern state delegations, was being courted by both Nixon and Reagan (Rockefeller was trying too, but :lol: Strom was never going that way). Nixon handed him a list of possible VPs and Strom picked Agnew. Nixon also pledged not to mandate busing federally.

Now that every state and territory holds a primary or caucus, and the RNC has even changed the rules so that (almost) all the delegates are pledged to a candidate (and most will be selected by the campaign they're pledged to), the only brokers are the candidates. The most likely scenario for anything approaching a deadlocked convention would be the 1st place candidate picking the 2nd as their VP, but even that is extremely unlikely because of how the primary schedule and funding works.

One side note is that it's much more likely on the Democratic side because every national Democrat is an unpledged delegate at the DNC. These were the "superdelegates" you heard about in 2008.

Thanks, I really need to reread about how McGovern actually got nominated. I've read two different accounts of the '72 DNC and still have only a vague understanding of what happened there because of how complicated it was.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fulchrum posted:

completely revamped his diet and started excercising

What a pussy lol

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Here's a Canadian analysis of Sarah Palin's speech

The Author supports Carson getting the Nom, mainly because us Canadians love comedy, and wanna see the far right lose so bad.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

MariusLecter posted:

What a pussy lol

Eh his fatass diet did get him a heart attack, didn't it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

baw posted:

Thanks, I really need to reread about how McGovern actually got nominated. I've read two different accounts of the '72 DNC and still have only a vague understanding of what happened there because of how complicated it was.

After the disaster of the '68 DNC, McGovern led the committee to reform how Presidential nominations are conducted, giving us the current system of caucuses and primaries in each state with pledged delegates. He then went on to us the system he invented to win the nomination.

There was also Ted Kennedy doing the thing Elizabeth Warren is doing this year where everyone was begging him to run and he'd keep saying he wasn't, but leaving the door open juuuuust enough that people kept assuming he'd jump in. Except that Kennedy would have mopped the floor in the nomination if he actually had run.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
The really confusing part was the floor fight that Thompson covered in FaL on the Campaign Trail '72.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

After the disaster of the '68 DNC, McGovern led the committee to reform how Presidential nominations are conducted, giving us the current system of caucuses and primaries in each state with pledged delegates. He then went on to us the system he invented to win the nomination.

There was also Ted Kennedy doing the thing Elizabeth Warren is doing this year where everyone was begging him to run and he'd keep saying he wasn't, but leaving the door open juuuuust enough that people kept assuming he'd jump in. Except that Kennedy would have mopped the floor in the nomination if he actually had run.

Is Warren leaving the door open, or does everyone keep trying to pry it open?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Gyges posted:

:siren: Warren says eggs she ate this morning were a little runny! :siren:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Gyges posted:

Yeah, my reading is almost certainly a no, though I think she'd consider the VP spot.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 31, 2015

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Yeah, my reading is almost certainly a no, though I think she'd consider the VP spot.

By "your reading", do you mean the part where she was asked if she was going to run and her response was a straightforward "No."? :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joementum posted:

Why didn't Ted get in? I'm guessing it has something to do with two of his brothers being mysteriously assassinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nessus posted:

Why didn't Ted get in? I'm guessing it has something to do with two of his brothers being mysteriously assassinated.

More to do with getting drunk, driving off a bridge, and leaving a woman in the car to die.

• Locked thread