Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've been partial to Goofy on some occasions.

Goofy gets points in the series for being way smarter than both Donald and Sora combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I imagine Goofy, being a father, has far more wisdom than Donald, being merely an uncle, and Sora, being a teenage boy trapped in anime.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Alright, you goons I have an awesome announcement for everyone. Starting today I'm starting a contest that anyone can enter. The contest is for the funniest fanart for the Kingdom Hearts series. Don't worry about how good it looks, the idea how much it makes the judges laugh. Your judges for this contest are myself, Prythian and Rhiodise. The winner will receive one free Steam game of their choice that is $10 or under. Now get out there and make some fanart. Also, try not to go to spoilerly with your submissions.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 31, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My Fanart submission
The Answer

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

ALRIGHT YOU GOONS, TIME FOR THE LAST TWO EPISODE UPDATE!!!

New Episodes (Uncut)
Episode 011 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Clock, Teapot and Candlestick"
Episode 012 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Seeing Pooh"

New Episodes
Episode 011 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Clock, Teapot and Candlestick"
Episode 012 – "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix HD: Seeing Pooh"

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Characters

Chicken Little

This little guy is from the movie Chicken Little that was released in 2005. Thing is, Kingdom Hearts 2 originally came out in Japan before the movie released over there so this was a little bit of a promotion for the movie in Japan.
VA: Zach Braff (a.k.a JD from Scrubs)

New Heartless

Gargoyle Statue

This is a statue that has come to life through the power of Darkness. Block or parry enough of its attacks and you can one-shot it with the Release reaction command.
Reaction Command: Release - After blocking or parrying enough attacks Sora can use this and he will pull the darkness out of the statue and kill with a single blow.

Thresholder

This is one half of the boss during the fight in the Undercroft of Beast's Castle. Smack this guy around enough and you can use the Release reaction command to pull the Possessor out which is the real boss.
Reaction Command: Release - This works a little different from the Gargoyle Statues in that you just have to do enough damage to the Thresholder to get the reaction command to pop up. It also doesn't do a one-shot kill to the boss, of course. Otherwise, it works exactly the same.

Possessor

This is the second half of the boss for the Undercroft fight. Just smack him around and he will eventually repossess the Thresholder and force you to start the process over again. You should have to do the process twice to defeat this fight.
Reaction Command: N/A

Lance Soldier

This guy just runs around with his lance stabbing things.
Reaction Command: Lance Tug - The Lance Soldier will go crazy and start flying around. Use the reaction command to grab on and zip around doing damage to enemies and the Lance Soldier.

Shadow Stalker

This is the first half of the Ballroom boss fight in Beast's Castle. The Shadow Stalker fight is very similar to the Thresholder/Possessor boss fight. Shadow Stalker will possess various things around the room which you will have to damage enough to use the Release reaction command and then you can lay the smack down on the Shadow Stalker itself.
Reaction Command: Release - See Thresholder for more information.

Dark Thorn

Does this guy look familiar? He should because he is basically FFX Ifrit's Heartless. Nomura apparently wanted him to look like that. In this second half of the Ballroom boss fight all you have to is just beat the ever-loving crap out of this guy, if you can see him.
Reaction Commands:
  • Step Vault - Use the Dark Thorn's back to leap onto the chandelier.
  • Catch - Following Step Vault Sora will drop the chandelier onto the Dark Thorn.
  • Pendulum Round - After Catch, Sora will swing the chandelier around and knock the Dark Thorn away. This will also make the Dark Thorn visible if he is currently invisible.
  • Slingshot - If the Dark Thorn manages to throw Sora toward a pillar then he will grab the pillar and slingshot himself back toward the Dark Thorn.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey there everyone, just got a couple of things to mention real quick. First off, I want to remind everyone about the fanart contest that is going on. So far, only Senerio has entered a piece and I'm hoping for more participation in this. Remember, if you win you get a free Steam game valued at $10 or under. Pretty good incentive if you ask me. Second, I'm just letting you know that there won't be any updates this coming up week since I pushed out so many episodes this past week. Updates will resume a week from Monday and they decreased from two a day to one a day. They will still be released on Mondays and Fridays though. The reason for putting out so many episodes this week was because episodes 07 - 12 were the last of the two episode a day updates and I wanted to knock those out before we moved on to the new format. Anyway that's all I have for now and I hope I can see some more entries into the fanart contest.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

This LP made me want to finally beat KH1. Well, I beat Ansem, only for the game to freeze on the credits. Yay.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

GMArcturus posted:

Alright, you goons I have an awesome announcement for everyone. Starting today I'm starting a contest that anyone can enter. The contest is for the funniest fanart for the Kingdom Hearts series. Don't worry about how good it looks, the idea how much it makes the judges laugh. Your judges for this contest are myself, Prythian and Rhiodise. The winner will receive one free Steam game of their choice that is $10 or under. Now get out there and make some fanart. Also, try not to go to spoilerly with your submissions.

my submission
No parents
http://i.imgur.com/RNMG0IK.png

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Oh that is good! I legitimately laughed out loud on that one.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
So, before I go over our new spell and summon, I wanted to make a couple of notes about the Heartless in Beast's Castle.

The Gargoyles, Thresholder/Possessor, Shadow Stalker, and Dark Thorn are all part of the same Heartless 'family'. They're all Purebloods of the Darkball/Possessor line. I thought it was a neat touch. You can see the small Possessors leave the Gargoyles when you break them or use the Release command, as I recall, and the Dark Thorn actually has the power to summon small Possessors that try to possess Sora, only to explode instead, doing damage. In Days, Possessors were actually a common enemy, but the one we see in this game, with the Thresholder, is actually the Large Possessor in Days, which is made of three Possessors.

Also, the Lance Soldier is actually two different Heartless; the soldier, and the lance. They don't get along, if I remember the journal entry correctly.

Now, onto magic!

Cure: Returning from KH1 is the most useful spell in the game. However, it isn't as spammable as it once was. The cost to use Cure is ALL of your MP. Yes, all of it. This makes it simultaneously the most expensive and cheapest spell in the game, and also makes it so that you aren't completely invincible, like in KH1. I suspect they changed this for two reasons. Firstly, with a large enough MP bar, you could cure yourself all the time in KH1, which meant you'd only die if you weren't paying attention. Secondly, KH2 is the first game in the series that Leaf Bracer existed in the base game. (It was in KH1FM, but they didn't change the basic mechanics of the spells in regards to FM-only abilities.) With Leaf Bracer, every time you cast Cure, for the duration of it, you have invincibility frames. You will Cure yourself and attacks just pass through. This means if you could spam Cure magic? You could literally Cure your way past long damaging super-attacks from bosses.

However, there is a beneficial change to Cure! Unlike in KH1, Cure now has an area of effect. With Donald and Goofy close enough to you, you can heal them up as well, which is very useful if you have to revive them for some reason or another. (Say, going into a Drive Form?)

Summons

We also got our first Summon, Chicken Little. Summons work differently in this game. Instead of using MP, they use up bars of your Drive Gauge, and like Drive Forms, have multiple bars in it that act as a time limit on how long you can keep them out. This is also how they get their experience; for each time the number of the gauge goes down, they gain one experience point. It's possible to game this but hitting enemies to gain gauge right as the number goes down, sending it back up a bar and then down again a second later. Finding a good way to do this is key for grinding their levels.

They still require both of your party members to be alive, and they still aren't game-breakingly powerful if you use them randomly. But each one does have a niche to fill that makes them extremely good in general. I know I made the mistake when I first played KH2 of thinking they were essentially worthless, but playing on Critical changed my perspective about that. (Critical is really good, guys. It's the only difficulty in the game where the game has reason for you to try using all of your options. Even in Proud, there's no real reason to use Summons or Square-button prompts. You can just mash X and Triangle and use the occasional spell and get through the game just fine.)

Anyways, every Summon is completely invincible to enemies, have different attacks (instead of just one thing they do like in KH1), and have a Limit that doesn't consume MP. Instead, it consumes parts of their Drive Gauge, drastically lowering their time available.

Chicken Little: Chicken Little's summon is actually really useful, with one exception: His Limit. But we'll get to that. Chicken Little is one of the best summons in terms of support. He doesn't really do any damage to enemies, but he will be constantly stunning them with thrown baseballs and fireworks, and better yet, he can whistle, pulling all of the Heartless into an area. The fact that he can do this is what really makes him useful on Critical, as the enemies can't really fight back and are clumped together, in the perfect position for Sora to blast them all with magic or combo through them all. In addition to that, when Sora gets to low health, Chicken Little can heal him. (This is something most summons can do, in one way or another.)

His Limit is FPS Mode. Sora goes into a first person mode, aims the camera with the analog sticks, and shoots attacks at the enemy. X throws baseballs that do very little damage but you can spam them easily, Triangle throws a firework that knocks nearby enemies back, Square ends the Limit. It's basically completely worthless, though; it barely does any damage, and Chicken Little is infinitely more useful as support for Sora's normal actions.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Prythian posted:

Chicken Little: Chicken Little's summon is actually really useful, with one exception: His Limit. But we'll get to that. Chicken Little is one of the best summons in terms of support. He doesn't really do any damage to enemies, but he will be constantly stunning them with thrown baseballs and fireworks, and better yet, he can whistle, pulling all of the Heartless into an area. The fact that he can do this is what really makes him useful on Critical, as the enemies can't really fight back and are clumped together, in the perfect position for Sora to blast them all with magic or combo through them all. In addition to that, when Sora gets to low health, Chicken Little can heal him. (This is something most summons can do, in one way or another.)

His Limit is FPS Mode. Sora goes into a first person mode, aims the camera with the analog sticks, and shoots attacks at the enemy. X throws baseballs that do very little damage but you can spam them easily, Triangle throws a firework that knocks nearby enemies back, Square ends the Limit. It's basically completely worthless, though; it barely does any damage, and Chicken Little is infinitely more useful as support for Sora's normal actions.

Eh, I never used any of the summons except one of them. You already mentioned it in the video, but I'll save the name for later. That one just seems so overpowered. That, and 14-16 year old me didn't really understand the use of Chicken Little in the game, because I didn't get the idea of support until later in life.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Thank you for not making my lovely :effort: joke the only submission.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Senerio posted:

Thank you for not making my lovely :effort: joke the only submission.

Let's just hope we can get some more submissions up in here.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm not sure if I'll have time to draw a nice one, so I'll put up a sloppy one and hope I get time to finish a better one.

I'm not sure why I thought it had to be Futurama. It seems fitting somehow.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

GMArcturus posted:

Dark Thorn

Does this guy look familiar? He should because he is basically FFX Ifrit's Heartless. Nomura apparently wanted him to look like that. In this second half of the Ballroom boss fight all you have to is just beat the ever-loving crap out of this guy, if you can see him.

Huh. I always thought he was going for a "what if Beast was a heartless" look. I guess either version works in this case.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey there, I just wanted to come by and let you know about a change to the contest. There are three changes and the first one is that the contest will end one week from this Friday. The second change is that the community will be voting on the winner via straw poll. Originally it was going to be me and two other people judging them but I figure it would be much better if the entire thread got to decide this one. The final change is that this will not be the only fanart contest. As you know, the only rule I have for content for this contest is that I don't want spoilers in the fanart, so I will be having two more fanart contests during this thread. The next one will begin once we have finished the final game from Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX. The final fanart contest will begin at the end of Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. There may possibly be a change to the start time of the final one if the KH3D playthrough lasts up until Kingdom Hearts 3 is released. If it does then the final fanart contest will begin at the end of Kingdom Hearts 3.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Only three entries into the first fanart contest so far. Surely, there are more than three creative people reading this thread. I wouldn't want you guys to miss out on your chance to get a free Steam game.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Dude, chill. It's only been a few days. I'd contribute something, but I'm not very creative and I can't draw for poo poo.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

GMArcturus posted:

Only three entries into the first fanart contest so far. Surely, there are more than three creative people reading this thread. I wouldn't want you guys to miss out on your chance to get a free Steam game.

I'd submit, but I suck at art.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Silegna posted:

I'd submit, but I suck at art.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Dude, chill. It's only been a few days. I'd contribute something, but I'm not very creative and I can't draw for poo poo.

SystemLogoff posted:

I'm not sure if I'll have time to draw a nice one, so I'll put up a sloppy one and hope I get time to finish a better one.

I'm not sure why I thought it had to be Futurama. It seems fitting somehow.

Do something silly like me then. Mspaint has crayons from windows 7 on, use them! :v:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

Do something silly like me then. Mspaint has crayons from windows 7 on, use them! :v:

But if I can't upload pictures, due to not having an upgraded account, how do I submit it?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Silegna posted:

But if I can't upload pictures, due to not having an upgraded account, how do I submit it?

Most folks around here just use Imgur or something.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

Most folks around here just use Imgur or something.
Here's my Entry!
Ah, here we go.
(Man, do I suck at MS Paint.)

Silegna fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 3, 2015

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Fine. Whatever. I see your heartless and respond with this:

I SUCK WORSE. And I do not know how to resize, properly, also. But here we are.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

Fine. Whatever. I see your heartless and respond with this:

I SUCK WORSE. And I do not know how to resize, properly, also. But here we are.

Yeah, seriously, Nomura just had to go and name the two main enemies the OPPOSITE of what they are.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Somehow, a crayon-off contest seems fitting for KH2.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Krad posted:

Hey! I used pencil, paint, and waterpaint effects, too!

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

Hey! I used pencil, paint, and waterpaint effects, too!

I just used brushes. :shrug:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Krad posted:

You mean who can draw better than Namine?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Liking the submissions so far. Here's hoping we can get a some more by a week from Friday. Remember, the first contest ends on Friday, February 14 at 8am. At that point I will create a straw poll and with all of the submissions listed and the submission with the most votes at the end of that weekend will be the winner and will receive their free Steam game valued at $10 or under.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

No don't just pick one or ask your friends.

e: and write a short essay on why you liked the winning submission best

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That guy speedran KH2 and took 45 minutes on Xemnas, I think he knows what he's talking about.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

No don't just pick one or ask your friends.

e: and write a short essay on why you liked the winning submission best

You can go gently caress yourself if you think I'm putting in that much work.

Edit: I was referring to the essay part if you didn't get that.

ArctheNomad fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 4, 2015

UraniumArc
May 6, 2013

The Ultimate Keyblade
:nws:ish http://i.imgur.com/bX0N8nc.png
Kingdom Hards

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

UraniumArc posted:

The Ultimate Keyblade
Kingdom Hards

That's just disturbing.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

UraniumArc posted:

The Ultimate Keyblade
Kingdom Hards

:stare:

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

:vince:

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Not sure what to say about that one.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

GMArcturus posted:

Not sure what to say about that one.

Do what I'm doing. Say nothing. Ignore it, it can't hurt me here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kingdom Hearts fill me

• Locked thread