Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'd settle for working push notifications because that has never worked for me in Accompli. I already gave up anyways, I'm looking at going back to Mailbox or something.

Me either, ever. I tried everything to get it to work as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Using Outlook all day and I have yet to miss a push notification of new email. I have an Exchange account and a Google Apps for Business account setup on it. It's really nice so far.

This could replace Mail.app, probably going to use it a few more days to see if any bugs pop up.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

trilljester posted:

Using Outlook all day and I have yet to miss a push notification of new email. I have an Exchange account and a Google Apps for Business account setup on it. It's really nice so far.

This could replace Mail.app, probably going to use it a few more days to see if any bugs pop up.

The question is, when will they put it on a subscription basis? A month?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It feels so weird to have outlook on my phones dock, but it also just feels so right.

And there are a few changes, like a new font and some animations feel snappier. The undo action thing looks less alarming. Really happy to see that they're still giving that level of attention to detail.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Devil Tesla posted:

It feels so weird to have outlook on my phones dock, but it also just feels so right.

And there are a few changes, like a new font and some animations feel snappier. The undo action thing looks less alarming. Really happy to see that they're still giving that level of attention to detail.

Also in the settings, you can set what swiping to the left and swiping to the right do. For example I never schedule anything with my emails so now swiping to the right executes "Mive to folder".

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The question is, when will they put it on a subscription basis? A month?

This is just me speculating, but I imagine they'll keep their revenue stream coming through the Exchange and Office 365 subscriptions from enterprise and small biz users. They just finally have (what looks like) a great end user application for that service.

Duke Jeffrie
Apr 29, 2010

Is there a video player that has gestures like MXPlayer on Android? I miss swiping to seek and change volume easily.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duke Jeffrie posted:

Is there a video player that has gestures like MXPlayer on Android? I miss swiping to seek and change volume easily.
I know nPlayer does, seems like most of the other popular ones did too last I looked around. (I also saw some fake duplicates of a few, watch out for those)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Duke Jeffrie posted:

VLC does this

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Re: the Outlook app, the screenshot in the App Store shows that a short swipe to the left can be used to archive and a longer swipe can be used to delete. However, I see no way to configure this in the app. Anyone know? Is the screenshot a cruel joke? I hate having to long-press to delete.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

mentalcontempt posted:

Re: the Outlook app, the screenshot in the App Store shows that a short swipe to the left can be used to archive and a longer swipe can be used to delete. However, I see no way to configure this in the app. Anyone know? Is the screenshot a cruel joke? I hate having to long-press to delete.

This is the feature that keeps me on Mailbox. I won't have it any other way.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Now you swipe left or right, instead of long/short. You can define which does what (including delete, archive, schedule, move, etc) in Swipe Options.

It was long/short in Acompli, so I'm assuming the screenshot was from a transitional version.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Yea I was going to say it seems pointless.

I've been using Pushbullet to transfer files to and from my Mac to an old android, my mom's iPad and my girlfriend's iPhone for the last year, it's far from a useless app.
It was incredibly useful when I was on Android and I could see my notifications on my Mac.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Bummey posted:

This is the feature that keeps me on Mailbox. I won't have it any other way.

The weird thing is that according to Google, the former Acompli app used to provide this functionality. Can't think of a reason why they'd remove it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Interesting, Microsoft is buying Sunrise. I really like the app and it was't clear they had an actual business model. Apparently it will be kept alive as a stand-alone app while slurping tech into other Microsoft products.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/04/microsoft-sunrise/

Apparently Microsofts new business strategy is to buy all the apps that I use to replace the stock iOS versions (because they are terrible).

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 4, 2015

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
That's actually good, I think, considering the alternative is probably an acquisition by Google, which (using Sparrow as an example) means death.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
So I've got the new Outlook app on my iPad (2) and cannot get my drat gmail account to work. I've got 2 layer authentication on, and after I put in my code and allow permissions, it just says that it can't log in. Using an app specific password just tells me to put in my regular account PW instead.
Contacting support just has me clear the cashe to no avail, and then they told me my password must be wrong (which it ain't).
Any thoughts?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any way I can view the My Photostream I have on iPhoto on my Mac in Photos on iOS (5s)? Is this a feature at all and have I just managed to not set it up properly? I'm on newest OS on both.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 4, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Interesting, Microsoft is buying Sunrise. I really like the app and it was't clear they had an actual business model. Apparently it will be kept alive as a stand-alone app while slurping tech into other Microsoft products.

Apparently Microsofts new business strategy is to buy all the apps that I use to replace the stock iOS versions (because they are terrible).

If this means my Windows calendar will automatically just be my current Sunrise calendar, complete with all my iCloud stuff that's on it, this is the best news ever.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there any way I can view the My Photostream I have on iPhoto on my Mac in Photos on iOS (5s)? Is this a feature at all and have I just managed to not set it up properly? I'm on newest OS on both.

PhotoStream (on iPhoto) and Photos on iOS (iCloud Photo Library) are two separate things and until Apple decides to release Photos for Mac the whole thing is going to be a huge clusterfuck.

Speaking of, has there been any word of when Photos is finally coming out?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
"Early 2015" was what they were originally quoted as, I think. The iCloud.com Beta Photos app isn't bad as a stopgap, but it is pretty hard to believe they made such a clusterfuck out of the transition.

I still think Carousel and Dropbox storage is better, though.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
They removed references to Photos from the OS X section of the web site recently, so it's probably delayed until later this year. I certainly want them to take their time and get the thing that manages irreplaceable photos right. Yosemite and iOS 8 are the buggiest releases they've had in quite some time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Maneki Neko posted:

Hopefully MS will make them add a Month view.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Hopefully MS will make them add a Month view.

Or Exchange on the Mac app. I know people rave about Sunrise, but I think Fantastical is a vastly better application both on iOS and on Mac.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I always kind of wished Acompli's calendar was as nice as Sunrise and wait guess what?

Edit: Actually I can't find anything about this that isn't tech crunch so treat this as a leak, not an actual announcement.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 5, 2015

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

ManSedan posted:

So I've got the new Outlook app on my iPad (2) and cannot get my drat gmail account to work. I've got 2 layer authentication on, and after I put in my code and allow permissions, it just says that it can't log in. Using an app specific password just tells me to put in my regular account PW instead.
Contacting support just has me clear the cashe to no avail, and then they told me my password must be wrong (which it ain't).
Any thoughts?

I tried to add my Google Drive account in Outlook and after carefully typing my password in about 10 times I gave up. I think there's something fucky going on with it and Google. I don't have 2 layer authentication either.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Roobsa posted:

I tried to add my Google Drive account in Outlook and after carefully typing my password in about 10 times I gave up. I think there's something fucky going on with it and Google. I don't have 2 layer authentication either.

I have some google apps accounts that are working fine, I don't really use gmail otherwise though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of, has there been any word of when Photos is finally coming out?
Apple seeded 10.10.3 to developers today and it includes the new Photos app.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The IAP tools in Paper is now free with the new update. Pretty awesome.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I know that the answer is probably no, but is there a google hangouts app that isn't that hot peace of garbage from Google?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ZShakespeare posted:

I know that the answer is probably no, but is there a google hangouts app that isn't that hot peace of garbage from Google?

What's your beef with the stock app? Seems to be OK for me.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It'll randomly decide to chew up huge amounts of battery in the background, is the main thing for me at least.

And no, there's no alternative client that I've heard of and the spec is still unpublished (no idea if they plan to publish it) so anything that does come out is going to be reverse engineered and likely to break.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

The IAP tools in Paper is now free with the new update. Pretty awesome.

Oh this is pretty neat. They also added a whole new social sharing aspect which looks fun and not very obtrusive.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Randomly stops responding, randomly ignores the right side of the keyboard. Randomly places the landscape keyboard in the middle of the screen when held in portrait mode. That's besides my normal bitching about iOS 8 features missing. Facebook messenger makes hangouts look like they coded it in the ball pit by comparison.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

dazjw posted:

It'll randomly decide to chew up huge amounts of battery in the background, is the main thing for me at least.

And no, there's no alternative client that I've heard of and the spec is still unpublished (no idea if they plan to publish it) so anything that does come out is going to be reverse engineered and likely to break.

Battery usage does seem like a bear, but I'm not seeing much difference in battery life on my end on a 6.

ZShakespeare posted:

Randomly stops responding, randomly ignores the right side of the keyboard. Randomly places the landscape keyboard in the middle of the screen when held in portrait mode. That's besides my normal bitching about iOS 8 features missing. Facebook messenger makes hangouts look like they coded it in the ball pit by comparison.

Huh, I haven't really seen that. Weird. I can only assume it's because I'm using SwiftKey.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Huh, I haven't really seen that. Weird. I can only assume it's because I'm using SwiftKey.

The keyboard placement seems to have gone away since I stopped using swype. The right side thing happens no matter what keyboard I use and is really annoying. I keep holding out hope for an iOS messages api that gets all the different chat apps into one space because I always have that one friend that has to use their special snowflake chat app rather than just using facebook like a normal human being.

poshphil
Jun 17, 2005

The Outlook app doesn't do tasks at present does it?

I've been setting up GTD stuff in Outlook at work using tasks/categories and my only issue at the moment is getting access to my tasks sorted by categories. I've been using TaskTask which does that but the emails I attach to tasks won't open (other attachments seem to work OK) - has anyone used TaskTask and found that problem/fixed it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

The keyboard placement seems to have gone away since I stopped using swype. The right side thing happens no matter what keyboard I use and is really annoying. I keep holding out hope for an iOS messages api that gets all the different chat apps into one space because I always have that one friend that has to use their special snowflake chat app rather than just using facebook like a normal human being.
I've never had that happen and I don't see how Hangouts, a protocol in Gmail, which, as far as I can tell, is the most ubiquitous free email is somehow a special snowflake chat app. It's not like they're asking you to use, I dunno, Kik or something. Why don't you just text like a normal human being?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Ever since the last update I can't use hangouts in landscape mode. Hitting backspace starts activating the swipe to start phone call mechanism. (???) That made me laugh. It works fine in portrait though.

Endless Mike posted:

I've never had that happen and I don't see how Hangouts, a protocol in Gmail, which, as far as I can tell, is the most ubiquitous free email is somehow a special snowflake chat app. It's not like they're asking you to use, I dunno, Kik or something. Why don't you just text like a normal human being?

Get out of here with this stupid bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basically everyone I know uses gmail for e-mail. Literally none of them use Hangouts. It's definitely a "special snowflake" app when it comes to normal people.