Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Party Boat posted:

Hey Occ, I know what'll cheer you up!

You are a god, a god among men, forums user party boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

As an aside, I wish we as a group were organized enough to have the whole thread pretend like now they'd never heard of Rory.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Bobulus posted:

As an aside, I wish we as a group were organized enough to have the whole thread pretend like now they'd never heard of Rory.

Heard of who? Remember we can't name people who haven't shown up yet.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

M_Gargantua posted:

Was he that tall guy with the laptop in Eleventh Hour?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

The ship has sailed. Don't start now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's a hilarious joke keep doing it

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

The worst part about Rory's death is that it feels completely pointless. The way they do it means that we don't even get any strong emotional moments as a result because Amy doesn't even remember he existed, so she can't possibly have an emotional reaction to his death. He doesn't even get to be fodder for another character's story, it's such a huge waste of a really good character. It really is even worse than what happened to Donna.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxx just showed me some oldwho poo poo

what in the gently caress is wrong with you people

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Toxxupation posted:

...which one?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

that score is a human rights abuse

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

that score is a human rights abuse

So... Keff McCulloch era, I'm guessing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oxx, did you sic Keff McCullough on him!?

edit gently caress beaten

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

let's record this audio in a tin can i'm sure the UNBELIEVABLY LOUD loving HUM won't irritate

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

So... Keff McCulloch era, I'm guessing.

Nope, Third Doctor era. I showed him a clip of the older Silurian episode.

And to any of you mental patients who think that those old serials are anything other than a hilarious museum piece, well.

I DISAGREE.

*walks off a bit, turns around*

WE MUST DESTROY THEM.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS0bCSLx8JI

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Toxxupation posted:

... how much time have you got? That question is a bit like "Tell me about Homestuck".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxxupation posted:

Remember how you started this thread, if you're not careful you'll soon own all the Classic Series on DVD and be eying up a subscription to Big Finish :haw:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I doubt it. The classic series really is a different degree of awful.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I doubt it. The classic series really is a different degree of awful.

Agreed. It's significantly less so :smug:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fungah! posted:

Agreed. It's significantly less so :smug:

That's a valid interpretation of what I wrote

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

Toxxupation posted:

let's record this audio in a tin can i'm sure the UNBELIEVABLY LOUD loving HUM won't irritate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJ6FCMoN0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x81m4NsIlE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

It's like Looney Tunes' meth-deformed twin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well it was the 70s. Remember Dirty Harry features a chase scene set to what sounds like experimental jazz. It was a strange time.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

Oxxidation posted:

and also midly racist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-73cPazXZg

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

No it doesn't.

Believe you me, I live in Tennessee- there's more meth being made here than nearly any other state.

Those twins sound much better and way less obnoxious.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
To be fair, for every 200 episodes of bad music there's one Logopolis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXACtP92zg

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Rochallor posted:

To be fair, for every 200 episodes of bad music there's one Logopolis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXACtP92zg
This Paddy Kingsland guy is kinda great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6elAeX07I4

It's like a 90s point and click adventure game.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"Cold Blood"
Series 5, Episode 9

Before this episode, I never really understood Oxx's seething, calcified hatred for "Journey's End". I mean, I understood his frustration in theory; I could grasp how deeply it angered him that, as he repeated ad infinitum to me in private, "Rose got everything she wanted, and Donna lost everything she ever had". I understood and, in my head, even agreed with his arguments- his review for "Journey's End" stands as one of my favorite pieces of writing that Oxxidation has ever written, despite the fact that I could not disagree more violently with its premise.

But my understanding of his frustration was all academic; the fact that I, emotionally, adored "Journey's End" means that, on some level, I look at Oxx's hatred of it and go "But it's really good, it's really sad and emotional" even though I know that his argument makes sense on paper.

And then Oxx and I watched "Cold Blood", and I get it. I get Oxx's hatred, because now it's mine. "Cold Blood" is an atrocious, horrible, almost completely unredeemable episode of television, but framed as an episode that writes out Rory, in the same way Oxx frames "Journey's End" as an episode that writes out Donna, it's intolerable garbage.

"Cold Blood" begins where "Hungry Earth" ends, with the Silurian doctor Malohkeh (Richard Hope) about to vivisect Amy. Unfortunately, he's called away to experiment on The Doctor and Nasreen, who have been captured by Military Commander Restac (Neve McIntosh), Alaya's sister. Amy is able to pickpocket the device that releases her from her manacles, and frees Mo (Alun Raglan) as well.

Back above ground, Tony's poisonous infection from Alaya's tongue-lashing- oh, that happened in the last episode, I didn't mention it because of how utterly unimportant of a character Tony is -is getting worse, and he starts to die. Ambrose, having had her husband and son kidnapped, and with her father- oh, Tony is her father, I didn't mention that because, again, completely unimportant character -about to die, suffers a mental breakdown and threatens to kill Alaya (to the latter's glee, since she literally predicted this would happen in "Hungry Earth"). Ambrose then ends up accidentally tazing Alaya to death- which is a problem, seeing as The Doctor is able to miraculously broker peace talks between Eldane (Stephen Moore), the Silurian leader, and Amy and Nasreen, the representatives for humanity.

Miraculously, Amy and Nasreen are able to actually find common ground between themselves and Eldane, and it seems like against all odds the conflict will be resolved peacefully. Unfortunately at that exact moment Rory, Ambrose, and Tony enter with Alaya's corpse, naturally derailing the peace talks. But none of that matters, because Restac organizes a military coup (in the process, killing Malohkeh for no adequately explained reason) and then, naturally, discovers that Alaya is dead, killed by Ambrose.

Then Ambrose, in a fit of diplomacy that defies belief, decides to blackmail the Silurians into letting her and everyone else go by explaining that she instructed Tony to have the drill burrow into the Silurian homeworld in 15 minutes, which, incredibly, does not engender her, The Doctor, and the rest to Restac as the Silurians open fire on the group. The Doctor et al escape, and decide- with Eldane's help -to initiate a final, desperate gambit: force the Silurian homeworld to perform its final defensive option- which floods the whole thing with poison gas as the Silurians go into cryo-sleep for a millenium -as the humans all escape to the surface and make humanity prepare to welcome the coming Silurians in 3020. Nasreen and Tony decide to stay behind because they're in ~TRUE WUV~ and Tony has to be put into cryostasis in order to be treated for his poison lick...thing.

This whole plan goes off more-or-less without a hitch, until The Doctor spies a crack- another one of the cracks that have been following him and his Companions around in every prior episode -and decides to investigate it, which allows a dying Restac to catch up to him and shoot at him. Rory forces The Doctor out of the way and gets shot instead, leading to Rory's death- and worse, because the crack is destabilized due to The Doctor having messed around inside it, it ends up seeping out like it did in the Weeping Angels two-parter and scrubbing Rory's entire existence from time- so The Doctor ends up on the only one aware that Rory ever existed in the first place.

Okay, let's cover all the other problems with the episode, outside of Rory's death. Because they're loving everywhere.

Every single plot development in this episode is an ill-advised, against character, and just plain stupid action for that character to take. Every character, at all times, during "Cold Blood" is the stupidest, most selfish douchebag possible, so the episode quickly degrades into a bunch of hateful idiotic assholes sabotaging each other. Every character is hit with this trend; even complete non-entity up until that point Tony crumples like so much wet tissue and spinelessly acquiesces to Ambrose's demands to set off the drill. This despite the knowledge that he would be going underground, meaning that not only is he taking direct part in a genocide but, just for good measure, is agreeing to what is essentially a suicide pact if things go wrong.

Nasreen is thrust into the background and only pipes up to be a smart-rear end to whatever The Doctor says; this is despite her being ostensibly the "hero" tertiary character, the one that's the most dimensionalized and relatable. There's one "memorable" scene where The Doctor, who has figured out that in order to broker a Silurian peace, he has to blow up the drill. Nasreen immediately responds, whining about how that would "destroy" her life's work. That's a fair point, if it weren't also in the context of her life's work is directly causing the destruction of an entire sentient race, if the whole purpose of the peace talks is to prevent a war and the possible extinction of humanity, and if her "life's work" wasn't looking at mother loving rocks. The mere fact that Nasreen raised that objection, legitimately, at that specific moment makes her character so stunningly myopic it almost defies belief; it blows back onto her character as a whole, making her look like a whiny, entitled brat throwing a tantrum when she doesn't get to keep her favorite toy. The fact that Eleven responds to that complaint legitimately, setting time aside for one of his patented Matt Smith inspiring monologues is giving Nasreen's dumb whining too much credit.

But that's Nasreen's like, whole job in this episode; after "Hungry Earth" spent so much time spotlighting Nasreen's dumb, terrible, horrifically annoying character, she's immediately shoved into the background (where she loving belongs because she's terrible) due to Amy rejoining The Doctor within the first ten minutes of "Cold Blood". It brings into question why her lovely character was so emphasized and over-emphasized in the first part of this two-parter when she's so immaterial to the outcome of this one; if anything she hampers the development of "Cold Blood", since she's the source of all the conflict during scenes like the peace talks (where she rejects Eldane's offerings out of hand), and Amy ends up being the source of common ground between the two races. There's no real explanation of why she was ever included in the first place, especially considering how Chibnall must've thought she was "spunky" and "clever" so has all the smart-rear end one-liners meant to refute The Doctor pop out of her mouth, but her actress' line delivery falls so flat is comes across as annoying over ingratiating.

The terrible characters are no slouches on the Silurian side, either; firstly, it was a stupid-as-poo poo casting decision to have Neve McIntosh play both Alaya and Restac, just fundamentally. They're, ostensibly, two different characters played in the exact same, hammy way by an actress who wasn't even able to make Alaya compelling, so a double billing of McIntosh does not work in the slightest. It's bad enough to have a bad actress play two different lizard people, but when one of them is supposed to die (and the death is supposed to be affecting, supposed to be sympathetic, and her death is supposed to negatively affect the other lizard person), it throws into stark, heady relief how bad of an actress she is. Alaya was clearly never meant to be a sympathetic character, per se; that's fine, not every character on every show has to be likeable, but she wasn't even able to engender empathy to her and, by a larger token, the Silurian race as a whole.

Alaya's the audience's entry point to the Silurians; she's the first contact the viewers at home has, and "Cold Blood" tries desperately to impress upon the people watching that the Silurians are a sentient species capable of compassion, understanding, and mutual acceptance in a way that the Daleks and Cybermen never were. More so than that, they're meant to have an arguably "more" legitimate claim to the Earth than humanity even does; they were here first after all and were forced underground out of a fear of mass extinction. "Cold Blood" tries to build the episode to a point where the audience not only understands who the Silurians are but wants them, is somewhat on their side, to live with humanity in peace, hence the whole "1000 year hibernation plan".

But that idea of building the Silurians up as a "noble race" is completely undercut by the introduction of Alaya. Her character is immediately repellant; she's introduced kidnapping children, is a sneering, condescending, warmongering rear end in a top hat, and goads a mother whose son she kidnapped and father she's killing into killing her. Even if McIntosh was able to play Alaya well it'd be a tough row to hoe making Alaya at least empathetic to viewers at home, able to see her "side", since she's so intensely dislikeable a character.

And those problems are only exacerbated by Restac's character, who's literally a carbon copy of Alaya except with the power necessary to be a complete and utter douchebag. At least there was an implicit note of status discrepancy with Alaya's character, where she's literally a prisoner; despite how awful her character is, there was at least a willingness to be more receptive to her and her race's plight solely because of the fact that she was in chains. Restac is somehow, if possible, even worse than her sister, so cartoonishly evil she crosses over to Bond villain territory; I mean for gently caress's sake she initiates a military coup for no real reason outside of pure jealousy.

Malohkeh, himself, is a bizarrely and completely tonally dissonant character; he's introduced as a character who vivisects kidnapped humans, including children, for fun, a Mengele with scales. But "Cold Blood" constantly reinforces how supposedly "sympathetic" he is, how he's the crux of the peace talks- reviving Eldane to save the humans' lives. The episode is so forcefully in favor of having the audience like and be on the side of Malohkeh that it becomes self-parodying; at one point Eleven literally fist-bumps Malohkeh for being so cool and awesome; this despite the fact that he was quite literally cutting open living humans for fun and would've done the same to Amy, with no remorse, if he hadn't been called away at the right time.

But then Restac kills him, and it's...just...why? It's supposed to be this big, horrifying moment, except for the fact that Malohkeh is absolutely terrible despite what "Cold Blood" would have us believe. But even moreso than that it's just confusing; why did Restac do that? He wasn't materially in her way, preventing her from being able to pull off the coup, it just seems unnecessarily evil to the point of ludicrousness. This is the race that Eleven so desperately wants us to believe is worth saving; a mad doctor who cuts open humans for sport, a child kidnapper who poisons people, and a war criminal who kills her own countrymen out of pure, infantile jealousy (since the only reason Restac would kill Malohkeh is because he revived Eldane in the first place and prevented her from waging a loving war).

But the crown jewel in this loving diamond clutch of terrible side characters that "Cold Blood" would have us like or at least understand is Ambrose. Every single decision she makes just makes the situation worse; her killing of Alaya was not only stupid in the sense of killing the only chip she had, the only card in the deck that would give her the opportunity of seeing her family again but it was stupid in the sense that Alaya literally told her she would do this. It defies belief that a character would tell another character exactly how the story would progress and how that story progression would negatively benefit the second character's...character, and then that second character would fuckin' do it anyways. But even worse than that is the "15 minutes till automatic drill" idea that Ambrose forces Tony to initiate; so, what, your plan to get your husband and kid back, and to save your father's life, is to have them all placed in a situation where they will be killed in a quarter-hour? How did she not think that plan through, even for a second? How did she think that the Silurians would react to a threat of genocide and a weak-willed promise that Ambrose would "stop the drill" after she had just confessed to murdering one of their own?

Ambrose is a selfish, stupid, short-sighted moron, possibly the single worst side character the show has ever had- not only is she badly played, but she receives no characterization. Somehow, over two hours of television, the most "important" side character of the bunch in "Hungry Earth"/"Cold Blood" is never, ever defined, the show spends zero time in dimensionalizing or making understandable and relatable beyond the things happening to her- Elliot's and Mo's kidnapping and Tony's poisoning -being self-evidently "bad". As such, there's no sense of sympathy or even empathy in the things that she does, just like with Alaya and Restac, because like the latter two this two-parter spends no time making her into a character over a plot device with a pulse, expecting the audience to just automatically be on her side because her husband and kid are kidnapped, so that excuses all the genocide and murder and being a gigantic loving idiot.

What's even more sad about all this is how much narrative tension this episode lacks, because almost every scene in it is a foregone conclusion. Somehow, despite being an episode where everyone makes the worst, stupidest possible decision at any given time, it's also utterly predictable and rote; this is because Chris Chibnall paces "Cold Blood" so that the audience is given too much information. There's no sense of discovery to any of it: Alaya being killed might be shocking, if it weren't for the fact that there's a scene in "Hungry Earth" where Eleven literally tells Ambrose not to use a weapon but then she looks on the pile of weapons, taser placed prominently on top, as the background score underlines the important foreshadowing of this scene with a really obvious sinister sting. Or the fact that Alaya literally tells the audience that she's going to be killed in "Hungry Earth".

The "peace talk" scene might've been at least somewhat narratively interesting if there wasn't a constant refrain during it that Alaya had already been killed by Ambrose and whenever Eldane et al were to learn about it it would mess up the talks permanently. But the narrative tension over when the Silurians would learn about Alaya's murder, and how they would react, was completely undercut by the fact that there's a scene of Restac, removed from any knowledge of Alaya's death, forming a military coup; it turned Alaya being killed and completely undercut its own significance as it turns out Restac was gonna try an armed insurrection anyways. But even that- the narrative tension of Restac initiating her coup -is completely nullified by the knowledge that Ambrose has the drill waiting as a final option. It's like an ourobouros of retarded bullshit, where the most recent, stupid plot development is trumped by something even more recent and more stupid, that only the audience knows. And the worst part is, it's being perpetrated by a bunch of worthless, hateful assholes that The Doctor, Rory, and Amy are smack dab in the middle of, so at a certain point if you're anything like me you just wish The Doctor would take his two buddies away from all this and let these stupid loving idiots destroy each other in peace.

Oh, and let me just say- the way the climax is resolved, with The Doctor literally instructing three people, one of whom is a child, to somehow miraculously prepare the Earth for a race of sentient lizard-men to arrive in a loving millenium, stretches believability even for Doctor Who. Has Chibnall never googled the words "Lizard-Men"? Has he never heard of the crazy conspiracy theory that's also SUPER anti-Semitic about how a race of Lizard People are going to try to take over the Earth? The one that's been around for half a century, at least? The one that's so prevalent, so well-known as a crazy conspiracy theory that it's literally comic shorthand for "crazy conspiracy theorists"? I mean, at least Obama birth certificate people and vaxxers and truthers, they at least have some level of cultural legitimacy, as opposed to lizard people conspiracy theorists being the loving laughingstock of everyone who's not them. Even for Doctor Who the episode being resolved with Eleven just telling three people, three people from Wales no less, to magically convince everyone else that lizard people both exist and are gonna arrive long after everyone is dead when the entire planet can't even agree that climate change, a thing thousands and thousands of qualified experts in their fields agree exists and is a world-threatening problem that will affect most people alive and politically relevant right now- and if not us certainly our children and definitely our children's children, is a thing that exists and we desperately need to address makes this entire resolution completely, utterly unbelievable. Even for Doctor Who, a show about literally anything, there's things that can break immersion, and what Eleven tasks Ambrose and her husband and kid to do crosses that line especially considering the cultural cachet right now that "Lizard People" have. It's loving absurd.

But

But.

But.

All that falls away, in the face of Rory's death scene.

Don't get me wrong. By itself, Rory's death and post-death scenes are INCREDIBLE. Rory's death and consequent timeline-removal is one of, if not the, best single moment the show has ever done. Period. End of story. I love Rory, he's my by-far favorite Companion ever (sorry Donna), and I could not be more satisfied with the way he's written out of the show. I respect and love the guts that comes into writing out a brilliant actor like Arthur Darvill three episodes into his run on the show, in a way that makes complete tonal and thematic sense- yet another failure on Eleven's part, both in helping Amy and Rory. The fact that Rory's death is as a direct result of Eleven's dawdling- if he hadn't messed about with the crack he wouldn't have been in danger of getting shot and Rory wouldn't have had to save him - was a brilliant symbolic move on the show's part.

Every one of the main trio's acting- Smith's, Darvill's, and Gillan's -were incredible in those scenes. I mean it, unbelievably wondrous. Rory's final words, they're heart-breaking:

Rory: "I don't understand. We were on the hill. I can't die here." Amy (tearfully): "Don't say that." Rory: "You're so beautiful...I'm sorry."

The fact that Rory's body gets sucked in by the time-stream impresses on Eleven how deeply he hosed up, and is heart-wrenchingly beautiful on its own; it's a tear-inducing scene that completely and utterly works. Even better is Karen Gillan's acting as Amy- that poo poo was loving Emmy-worthy, her tearful cries to Eleven to let her at least remember Rory- "Don't tell me it's going to be OK! YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT! OK!"

On Matt Smith's part, he plays Eleven so well in that scene- the look of overwhelming horror over the mistakes he's made, the clear guilt, his desperate, knowingly ineffectual pleas, his clear adoration for Rory- "Tell me about Rory. Fantastic Rory, funny Rory, gorgeous Rory. Amy please, keep concentrating, you can do this." It's an incredible scene.

And the way Karen Gillan is able to just flip Amy from being in the middle of full, emotional, immediate sorrow and mourning and is able to completely sell the mind-wiping- the fact that Karen Gillan, with tears still in her eyes immediately reverts to normal, cheerful, spunky Amy- it's incredible acting, and completely makes the scene, while impressing how desperately dark and sorrowful Rory's end was. It's an incredible scene, start-to-finish. I loved every moment of it. Unbelievable. Incredible writing, direction, acting, everything about it. The best Doctor Who has ever done.

But Rory's death, as part of an episode titled "Cold Blood", is loving garbage. Rory's death was earned, yes, but the fact that it was placed in an episode where Rory as a character was placed in the background for the likes of Nasreen and loving Ambrose is goddamn intolerable. The fact that it wasn't built to at all within the specific two-parter and the juxtaposition of a genocidal moron getting her husband and kid back and everything being okay while nobody outside of The Doctor even remembers that Rory fuckin' exists is a loving crime. It's motherfucking offensive. The fact that everyone- everyone -made it out okay or rewarded besides Rory is unbelievable. What moral is this episode trying to impart? If you're a selfish, murderous, completely unpleasant dislikeable piece of human garbage you get everything you could ask for, but if you're just a decent dude, living his life like a decent person ought to you'll not only get not only killed but undid? The gently caress is this poo poo, Doctor Who?

I seriously considered, if only for a second, giving "Cold Blood" an A based on Rory's death alone, because I loved the way Rory's death and the post-death scene were handled. If any single moment, alone, in Doctor Who history, was good enough to elevate a bad, bad episode of television to "A" status, it was Rory's death and the way it affected Eleven and Amy. But I can't, because I hate this episode.

I hate this episode. I hate this episode so loving much. I haven't hated an episode of television as much as I do right now since "Parting of the Ways", and in some ways I hate this episode more. It's loving garbage, and it's my "Journey's End"; an atrocious, horribly conceived and somehow even worse executed episode of television, one that centers around a bunch of the worst, most boring and overtly dislikeable assholes Doctor Who has ever seen getting everything they ever wanted and the one Decent Human Being on the show losing everything he ever had. For the crime of being a decent human being. I'm sorry, Oxx, you were right, I get it now. I get the anger over "Journey's End", it makes perfect sense and you were once again 100% correct, as per usual.

And you know what? This is worse than the way Donna was treated. At least Donna got a season. At least Donna gets her huge, amazing moment in "Journey's End", where she literally becomes The loving Doctor and saves the entire goddamn multiverse. At least we know that she ends up fine- arguably better than fine, since I've contended before that if anything The Doctor was the one disabling Donna from True Greatness, and not enabling her. At least she's still alive. At least people remember who she loving is gently caress. Rory gets loving wiped from goddamn existence, and the most infuriating goddamn thing is that the thematic and tonal and symbolic reasons for his death and timeline-wipe- they're loving perfect. I'm not mad that Rory doesn't exist any more, because Moffat perfectly loving conceived and executed on his removal from Series 5. Rory's Death is a perfect goddamn scene of television. The problem is it's a perfect loving scene of television juxtaposed against a terrible loving episode of television. And that's why I hate this piece of poo poo as much as I loving do.

Rory deserved better you worthless fuckers.

Grade: F

Random Thoughts:
  • STOP. SAYING. HOMO. REPTILIA. gently caress.
  • Oh also gently caress Restac's "crying". Neve McIntosh, you're a terrible loving actress but holy poo poo Restac's "crying" is the most grating and terrible thing loving ever.
  • gently caress the narration, by the way. Why was the narration even included.
  • Someone please tell me the score that played when Amy was trying desperately to remember Rory, since it was really good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

gently caress doctor who

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
"Seriously considered giving it an A" made me snort with laughter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

Yeah, if he had told me that first I'd still be taunting him about it. Come on, dude.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Toxxupation posted:

[*] STOP. SAYING. HOMO. REPTILIA. gently caress.

The writer thought this was so loving clever.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I guessed "A." :(

(I don't remember these two episodes very well at all.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I ranked it a C because I like episodes that emotionally affect me. And holy poo poo did this episode do that. But only at the end. Hence C.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Maybe it's just because I like the actor but I think you're being a bit harsh on Nasreen! The way I read it, when she said the drill was her life's work, she was just confirming that she understood why the Doctor was being all sheepish about asking her to destroy it. She put up no resistance, and in fact five seconds later she was actually contributing to the plan. She chose to stay underground because she knew her life's work was the discovery she'd made, not the tool she built to make it.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
That is probably my favorite review you've ever done Occ and I couldn't agree more.

This is my least favorite episode (or two, because the two-parter all gels into one slimy rot of year-old garbage) and there's few characters on television I've ever disliked as much as Ambrose, who is basically a walking sack of stuipd and hatred. There are a lot of episodes that are bad because they're just messy and don't come together or just dumb and ill-conceived, this two parter feels like the writer and most of the people involved in making it had nothing but contempt for the audience.

Goodbye, Rory. :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

an ourobouros of retarded bullshit,

Yep, there's the Silurian 2-parter review I was expecting!

I remember at the time watching this dreadful, boring and badly written 2-parter and thinking how it seemed entirely without merit until that final sequence. It's amazing how you can actually tell the very second where Chibnall's writing ends and Moffat's writing takes over. The delineation between the two is incredible, it's such a shift in quality it is unbelievable. Which makes the fact that Chibnall was seriously considered as a possible replacement for RTD as showrunner even more astonishing, can you imagine a season 5 where that 2-parter was the standard quality you could expect from the show? :gonk:

Amongst all the many problems Toxx quite legitimately brings up, I just want to bring up the awful, awful character that is Tony. Ambrose is identified as a terrible person, but I guess we know where we get it from because I want to remind everybody that there is a scene where Tony seemingly forgets all about his own missing grandson and just straight up offers to let their prisoner - their only bargaining chip - go if she will cure him of the poison afflicting him. Think about that for a second, this rear end in a top hat basically throws his own grandson under the bus for a chance for just another few minutes of precious, precious life for himself. It's so astonishingly selfish it stands out to me over everything else, and yet it's just included in there like it's nothing, and the episode ends with us seemingly meant to consider him a good guy who we're happy to see is going to get to live? Ambrose, for all her many faults, is at least consistent in being a horrible and shortsighted person.

When people talk about how much they enjoyed season 5 up to this point, you can be pretty sure they're either ignoring this 2-parter, or that they've deliberately tried to forget it ever existed. If it wasn't for the Rory scene at the end, I imagine most of us WOULD have forgotten it ever happened, it's just so unremarkable and uninteresting compared to everything that came before it.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tempo 119 posted:

Maybe it's just because I like the actor but I think you're being a bit harsh on Nasreen! The way I read it, when she said the drill was her life's work, she was just confirming that she understood why the Doctor was being all sheepish about asking her to destroy it. She put up no resistance, and in fact five seconds later she was actually contributing to the plan. She chose to stay underground because she knew her life's work was the discovery she'd made, not the tool she built to make it.

This is how I interpreted it as well, but I generally don't really mind most of the characters. Sometimes people are just not that great, especially when under stress. It's a testament to Rory that he remained the best until the end.

John Charity Spring posted:

Toxx might be my favourite flip-flopping reviewer ever.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I really mostly just forgot what happened in these episodes. My B guesses were pretty cavalier and I probably should've refreshed my memory before putting them in.

Though I'd really only have dropped them to a C if I'd done so. Oh well! At least the most important part, Rory's erasure, is something we agree on. The scene was done really well in an otherwise not good episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

fatherboxx posted:

Diane Morgan as Philomena Cunk as Doctor Who or nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvpbW7JRu0Q

• Locked thread