Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A good port-mortem on what went wrong:
http://business.financialpost.com/2015/01/28/terence-corcoran-the-canadian-economy-nobody-saw-coming/

Basically everyone from the Bank of Canada or government officials refused to even acknowledge the possibility of a oil price crash during the feast years.

They are also laughed off dutch disease syndrome as crying wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

Do you consider printing money to inflate stock market prices to be a "blank check"? Cause that seems to be what QE has amounted to in practice.

:thejoke:

In our case though we just goosed bank profits, and hoped that the resultant consumer spending would help. ( Ha we just used the extra money to buy houses.)

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

etalian posted:

Things like QE also basically are fairly ineffective IMO since they basically make corporations, drove stocks higher and in general just make rich assholes even richer, while not improving the lot of everyone else.

Also QE leads to great money making schemes, in the US QE the banks took zero interest loans from the government and then used the loans to just buy more treasury notes.

Basically taking a free taxpayer bailout and using it to collect safe debt payments from the US government.

I feel like QE would be more effective if it were combined with aggressive fiscal stimulus. What's the point of driving down bond yields if the government is pursuing austerity?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

ocrumsprug posted:

:thejoke:

In our case though we just goosed bank profits, and hoped that the resultant consumer spending would help. ( Ha we just used the extra money to buy houses.)

Heh, jokes. I get jokes. :downs:

Whiskey Sours posted:

I feel like QE would be more effective if it were combined with aggressive fiscal stimulus. What's the point of driving down bond yields if the government is pursuing austerity?

You get lovely economic conditions that hurt worker's bargaining power but stock prices hit record highs. What's not to love?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Canada can't use QE because the US has a special situation where institutional funds will are near-obligated to buy US treasuries even if the US is buying its own notes. If Canada were to do the same demand would drop and yields would increase, because unlike the US, there are no giant funds that keep buying Canadian bonds, and confidence in Canada being able to repay its debt is not as good.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
QE in Canada just needs to be more targeted, I.e print money and use it to buy condos.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

QE in Canada just needs to be more targeted, I.e print money and use it to buy condos.

Use ambitious public works project, e.g

A new death camp system to house bankers, real estate agents and condo ad agencies.

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 1, 2015

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

etalian posted:

Use ambitious public works project, e.g

A new death camp system to house bankers, real estate and condo ad agencies.

cryingkeynes.gif

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Do what they did in the 30s and ship the youth to the north to dig army bases and air strips.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Dreylad posted:

Do what they did in the 30s and ship the youth to the north to dig army bases and air strips.

Harper just got the biggest boner just now.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

FrozenVent posted:

Harper just got the biggest boner just now.

ART DECO POST OFFICES AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bubbles don't have a dramatic overnight crash, in the case of US real estate it took 3 years to drop from 2006 peak value down to 2009 trough:

Should be a very interesting summer in Canada, especially in provinces which were overexposed to the oil commodity bubble.

Also fearless leader doesn't see rough seas ahead:
“THE oil industry isn’t remotely the entire Canadian economy,” declared the prime minister, Stephen Harper

Laugh up bear-failures, 3 percent of all total exports means the oil price crash will not affect the canadian economy

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Dreylad posted:

ART DECO POST OFFICES AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE!

Unironically this. Burn all James Cheng and Arthur Erickson to the ground

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

In a tragic death Cheng will be killed by a poorly installed falling condo window.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a spirit about public space. I think Vancouverites are very, very proud that we built a city that really has a tremendous amount of space on the waterfront for people to recreate and to enjoy. At the same time, False Creek and Coal Harbour were previously industrial lands that were very polluted and desecrated. We've refreshed all of this with new development, and people have access to the water and the views. So, to me, it's this idea of having a lot people living very close together, mixing the uses. So, we have apartments on top of stores. In Surrey we have a university on top of a shopping centre. This mixing of uses reflects Vancouver in terms of our culture and how we live together

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Segue posted:

Another rate cut just seems silly to me. Interest rates have been at historic lows for years. It's not like everyone's been putting off doing things because 1.00% or 0.75% are ridiculous rates.

Will cutting them further actually spur more economic activity or encourage borrowing? It seems something that isn't particularly useful when you've been doing it for the last five years or so and you're still screwed.

1) signalling - just the act of lowering rates can cause changes in economic outcomes
2) magnitude - cutting the o/n rate from 1% to 0.75% means bank's interest costs are reduced by 25% in the overnight market! I'd say that's a massive incentive for them to expand their balance sheets

Are probably the two most significant reasons.

THC posted:

Years ago I was invited to a "job interview" with Direct Energy which was more like 10 people in a room with 50 chairs facing the front of a conference room, in a largely empty office that looked like it had very recently been moved into (I noticed the "receptionist's" phone wasn't plugged in).

A guy with a slick haircut and a flashy but cheap suit began to tell us about this "direct sales opportunity" (e.g. door to door sales) where everything is on commission and nobody makes a salary of a wage. He explained how how we could be making up to 100k in just a couple years time by signing up enough of our friends to do the same. He spent a lot of time talking about how "job jobs" where you are paid hourly or a salary are obsolete and the future belongs to those smart, dynamic individuals who can basically hustle and make sales. This culminated in him telling us to buy gold and Google Ron Paul (he circled the name on a whiteboard).

It was a complete waste of time and the other 10 or so "candidates" all left with disappointed looks because I guess we all expected to find "job jobs" and not, you know, real jobs where you work for potentially nothing and the only way to get ahead is to participate in a pyramid scheme.

Some months later that same guy came to my door, sans flashy suit, with a nervous looking zitty teen in tow, and attempted to sell me Direct Energy.

So what happened?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

(I noticed the "receptionist's" phone wasn't plugged in).

Let's just say they were a few prawns short of a galaxy :v:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Baronjutter, do you architecture fetishists ever give any consideration to how lovely your favourite buildings are? For all the loving platitudes paid to frank Lloyd Wright by people spending too much time reading wallpaper , most of his famous houses were miserable shitholes to live in. Have you seen what a terrible mess Norman loving Foster's apt building is?

Christ stop giving these adsholes do much positive enforcement for their retarded ideas

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Cultural Imperial posted:

Christ stop giving these adsholes do much positive enforcement for their retarded ideas

Yeah, retarded ideas like Gothic Revival? Oh, poo poo, wait, I mean retarded ideas like Victorian Neoclassicism. gently caress. Ummm... Retarded ideas like Art Deco? Bauhaus? Modernism? Oh! Oh! Brutalism! Brutalism! Yeah, let's poo poo on Brutalism! Everyone can relate to that! Brutalism and Frank Gehry*. Let's poo poo on them.

Every architectural movement has been the focus of intense criticism and hatred since for-loving-ever. Almost always by people who don't know what they're talking about and have no sense of historical perspective. Buildings can usually be criticized for good reasons, but more often than not these are excuses to vent because the target building offends some preconceived idea about what a building should or should not be.

The ideas in lovely buildings designed by starchitects generally diffuse into the general architectural atmosphere and are reworked by the talented into actually functional buildings. Sometimes the lovely buildings themselves are reworked and end up both artistically significant AND functional.

The world has not and will never stop revolving because someone doesn't like the SFU campus.

*but really, gently caress Frank Gehry. He hasn't done anything significant since the Guggenheim.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ductonius posted:

The ideas in lovely buildings designed by starchitects generally diffuse into the general architectural atmosphere and are reworked by the talented into actually functional buildings. Sometimes the lovely buildings themselves are reworked and end up both artistically significant AND functional.

Every time a privileged White Person picks up a Monocle and reads ~*architecture*~ jesus suffocates a kitten. The quoted statement above is precisely why all you loving craft beer marxists need to be purged. Putting poor people in shipping containers however elegant, isn't a solution to housing the homeless because the structure isn't fit for purpose. Just because you think a structure is ~*important*~ because of the way it looks is a piss poor reason for wasting money on fuckwith like Cheng, Safdie (habitat 67 is loving *retarded* and was unlivable for decades) and Erickson because they design buildings which aren't fit for purpose. I don't know what loving fantasy land you live in where it's economically viable to let these mongs design huge piles of poo poo and then ~rework them into functional structures but the point here, and please read this slow, is that it requires tons of money which is a loving waste of resources.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Baronjutter, do you architecture fetishists ever give any consideration to how lovely your favourite buildings are? For all the loving platitudes paid to frank Lloyd Wright by people spending too much time reading wallpaper , most of his famous houses were miserable shitholes to live in. Have you seen what a terrible mess Norman loving Foster's apt building is?

Pretty sure he was quoting ironically. Also lol at crediting James Cheng with keeping the False Creek waterfront public. They were going to turn it into little private fenced-in patios for the Yaletown elite before the city council stepped in.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Every time a privileged White Person picks up a Monocle and reads ~*architecture*~ jesus suffocates a kitten. The quoted statement above is precisely why all you loving craft beer marxists need to be purged. Putting poor people in shipping containers however elegant, isn't a solution to housing the homeless because the structure isn't fit for purpose. Just because you think a structure is ~*important*~ because of the way it looks is a piss poor reason for wasting money on fuckwith like Cheng, Safdie (habitat 67 is loving *retarded* and was unlivable for decades) and Erickson because they design buildings which aren't fit for purpose. I don't know what loving fantasy land you live in where it's economically viable to let these mongs design huge piles of poo poo and then ~rework them into functional structures but the point here, and please read this slow, is that it requires tons of money which is a loving waste of resources.

I agree with CI on something. Apocalypse incoming?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ductonius posted:

Yeah, retarded ideas like Gothic Revival? Oh, poo poo, wait, I mean retarded ideas like Victorian Neoclassicism. gently caress. Ummm... Retarded ideas like Art Deco? Bauhaus? Modernism? Oh! Oh! Brutalism! Brutalism! Yeah, let's poo poo on Brutalism! Everyone can relate to that! Brutalism and Frank Gehry*. Let's poo poo on them.

Every architectural movement has been the focus of intense criticism and hatred since for-loving-ever. Almost always by people who don't know what they're talking about and have no sense of historical perspective. Buildings can usually be criticized for good reasons, but more often than not these are excuses to vent because the target building offends some preconceived idea about what a building should or should not be.

The world has not and will never stop revolving because someone doesn't like the SFU campus.

*but really, gently caress Frank Gehry. He hasn't done anything significant since the Guggenheim.

On the other hand, architecture usually needs to remain standing for quite a period of time before it can get that kind of status. I doubt that will happen in this case. :v:

Also, if a building has to be reworked to make it functional, it was a pretty lovely design and I have no loving clue where you were going with that. "Hey guys these buildings he makes are poo poo now, but wait 30 years until someone with actual skill and vision buys them up and redesigns them to be worth living and working in! Youd be kicking yourself if you left before then! :downs:"

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I want to cover all the brickwork with marble, just like Rome.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ceciltron posted:

I want to cover all the brickwork with marble, just like Rome.

They didn't have the best aesthetic sense either.

(yes I know it's Greece so sue me)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

On the other hand, architecture usually needs to remain standing for quite a period of time before it can get that kind of status. I doubt that will happen in this case. :v:

Also, if a building has to be reworked to make it functional, it was a pretty lovely design and I have no loving clue where you were going with that. "Hey guys these buildings he makes are poo poo now, but wait 30 years until someone with actual skill and vision buys them up and redesigns them to be worth living and working in! Youd be kicking yourself if you left before then! :downs:"

I imagine brutalist structures will last a long time, but jesus christ they're terrible structures for libaries and somehow most universities have one brutalist library that's full of books that would go mouldy, will go mouldy, or have a substantial amount of money invested in climate control.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm just baffled that some gave the answer Maple Leaf Foods to the question of whether Canada had any prestigious companies.

Ford Escape is made in Kansas I believe. The Ford Edge and Flex are made in Oakville. (or were as of three years ago)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Even small cap canadian stocks show signs of dutch disease with over concentration in energy, financials and materials:

Why do something risky like a medical or high tech company, when you can just focus on getting some sweet oil money?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
So this HELOC commercial came on to my TV this morning which I thought summed up the national situation well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-tksG0Eug4

Sorry for the potato cam as it seems that the company doesn't update their YouTube channel anymore.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007

Every time a privileged White Person picks up a Monocle and reads ~*architecture*~ jesus suffocates a kitten. The quoted statement above is precisely why all you loving craft beer marxists need to be purged.

I've got dimples on my nose from glasses too.

Bonus points: Which craft brew do I drink, and do I shop at Choices or Whole Foods?

Putting poor people in shipping containers however elegant, isn't a solution to housing the homeless because the structure isn't fit for purpose. Just because you think a structure is ~*important*~ because of the way it looks is a piss poor reason for wasting money on fuckwith like Cheng, Safdie (habitat 67 is loving *retarded* and was unlivable for decades) and Erickson because they design buildings which aren't fit for purpose. I don't know what loving fantasy land you live in where it's economically viable to let these mongs design huge piles of poo poo and then ~rework them into functional structures but the point here, and please read this slow, is that it requires tons of money which is a loving waste of resources.

If you want functional structures you're pissing into the wind because ideas of and degrees of functionality change over time. So, if the original builders were ok with having a less functional building that is considered artwork (whatever the gently caress that means) then it serves its purpose. If, over time there is a desire for more or different functionality then the building will be changed or modified to suit that. This happens all the time and is not restricted to new buildings or buildings designed by starchitects. Lack of funds for any civic function are mostly due to the effects of wealth and income inequality, rather than a societal lack of resources or productivity.

Also, making GBS threads on FLW is probably one of the most retarded things you've ever written.

Furnaceface posted:

Also, if a building has to be reworked to make it functional, it was a pretty lovely design and I have no loving clue where you were going with that.

Yeah, the British Museum was a lovely design. The original designers forgot to add a roof on the atrium. What were they thinking? They had to add one later because surprise, surprise, London has weather and nobody wants to walk outside to get to the reading room.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

degrees of functionality

Buildings designed not to leak. I guess that's too bourgeois for you pseudo intellectual shitheads

E: lol that you even have to debate the meaning of function

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 1, 2015

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007

Buildings designed not to leak.

Not leaking is something most new buildings do, whether the design be conservative or unconventional. Pissing and moaning about ~*a building*~ cherry-picked to rage over is a favorite past-time of misanthropes who have no loving idea what they're talking about.

:bahgawd: - They should have just built it the way *I* approve of. MY TAX DOLLARS!

Fake edit: What! You mean a building could have more than one function? And certain functions are at different times given priority over others? Curse the gods that shaped this mortal life!

Fake edit 2: In light of this debate, should we or should we not still burn Vancouver to the ground?

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013
I feel for the woman in this thing, but this is like an epic made in Toronto clusterfuck with a 3 way lawsuit still dragging on 4 years after the fact.

Basically, shady builder is shady.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...-will-ever-hear

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ascendance posted:

I feel for the woman in this thing, but this is like an epic made in Toronto clusterfuck with a 3 way lawsuit still dragging on 4 years after the fact.

Home ownership is the best investment

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

etalian posted:

Home ownership is the best investment
If she gets the $2.8 million she asked for in the lawsuit, it would be a great investment.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ascendance posted:

If she gets the $2.8 million she asked for in the lawsuit, it would be a great investment.

They offered $340,000, a smidge above asking. “And we got it, and we were thrilled, I mean absolutely thrilled,” says Allison. “It really was one of the happiest moments of our marriage.”

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

etalian posted:

They offered $340,000, a smidge above asking. “And we got it, and we were thrilled, I mean absolutely thrilled,” says Allison. “It really was one of the happiest moments of our marriage.”

Well, no doubt they were actually too stupid to figure out how to gently caress, if that's the case.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

Well, no doubt they were actually too stupid to figure out how to gently caress, if that's the case.

in all fairness the whole thing was caused by a dishonest contractor next door.

Still I don't get why people are in a rush buy a house after getting married or using the whole kids thing to justify the whole risky purchase.

etalian fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 1, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

computer parts posted:

They didn't have the best aesthetic sense either.

(yes I know it's Greece so sue me)

I want those pajamas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ascendance posted:

Christ, what a mess. There's pretty much nothing they could have done to prevent it, either.

Wonder how they figure 2.8 mills in damage, if they only lost 35k on the house.