Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

AstroWhale posted:

New episode about online harassment.
Also, I never noticed vocal fry before. But now :stare:.

Lindy West's piece was excellent, but the episode itself goes off the rails a little after -- especially the final act about the anxietybot.

Ira's intro was one of the best, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I liked it, even if for no other reason than someone else saying what I've thought for a long time, that Twitter needs to go.

Also "I don't know if he's being honest, but if he was still trolling me I don't think he'd have spent $50 to keep it going" :lol: Obviously she's not a goon.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
You'll be shocked to learn that several posters in the TAL subreddit think she made it all up.

The episode honestly made me think that "troll" is too juvenile a word to describe what these idiots do. It makes me think of trolling with dumb jokes, not impersonating someone's dead dad or threatening to murder and rape.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I think a nice companion piece to this episode is One Week of Harassment on Twitter from Anita Sarkeesian.

Anyone who tells an oft-harassed woman on the internet that they need to have a thicker skin has no idea how thick of a skin you need to put up with this poo poo.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I liked the episode a lot. And yeah, I had opinions about certain voices on the show but never knew about that vocal fry thing, nor did I find anything about them unbearable. Although David Sedaris reading aloud a story about talking animals sometimes comes extremely close.

Sivart13 posted:

Anyone who tells an oft-harassed woman on the internet that they need to have a thicker skin has no idea how thick of a skin you need to put up with this poo poo.
It's also a bullshit hypocritical argument in general meant to dismiss how terrible you are being. "You should have a thicker skin" says someone filled with uncontrollable and all-encompassing rage that lasts for months because a woman said a video game he liked had sexist overtones. I think that Lindy West piece kind of hit the nail on the head with that one guy. It's impossible to blanket diagnose everyone, and I'm sure some people spend a lot of trolling because they are just assholes in general, but I can only imagine that a big segment of those kind of people have overwhelming self-loathing issues because if you had anything going on in your life, it's unlikely you would have the ability to put so much time and effort into something so inconsequential to your everyday life.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 29, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Somewhat related is the woman who got tired of abusive tweets, so she picked one and told his mom.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Combining the talk on vocal fry and David Sedaris, his nasal, self-amused droll voice is generally something I couldn't stand. Then I heard an interview with him on Maron's WTF podcast, and just to hear the guy talk when he's not performing, I couldn't help but like the guy. So with him at least, it's a put-on for performance. But the general crowd seems to like it.

The vocal fry thing seems deliberately cultured, like small batches of artisan yogurt, in NPR studios, but the hate for it, I think TAL nails it on the head: it's a dogwhistle for sexism and maybe some weird form of ageism or hipster dislike.

edit: and I was disappointed that Anxiety Box doesn't exist anymore.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 29, 2015

Kangra
May 7, 2012

He says he plans to put it back up, once he figures out how to scale it to the demand. There are also a lot of sample sentences if you scroll down. It's kind of like a [more] abusive ELIZA. Probably be fun to add a GLadOS text-to-speech voice.

Language Log (referenced indirectly via Mark Liberman on the show) had fairly good coverage on vocal fry. Their most recent talks about yet another supposed theory for its 'cause', and this piece considers just how old it might be.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zakharov posted:

You'll be shocked to learn that several posters in the TAL subreddit think she made it all up.

Of course she did. That e-mail/call was literally the biggest load of poo poo I have ever heard.

"Here's a guy who trolled me, and he conveniently confirms every single one of my perceptions."

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Irish Joe posted:

Of course she did. That e-mail/call was literally the biggest load of poo poo I have ever heard.

"Here's a guy who trolled me, and he conveniently confirms every single one of my perceptions."

You do know that This American Life got crazy about fact checking after Mike Daisy came on and lied to them, right?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, just so we're clear, your theory is that Lindy West hired a highly convincing voice actor to portray her harasser and interact with the TAL fact checking team, and has also been building up years and years of timestamped emails, tweets and comments from this harasser in preparation for faking this whole thing?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

But she's a WOMAN. On the INTERNET. Who has OPINIONS ABOUT THINGS!

Also, the point of the story is that he wasn't who she expected. You know, the whole apology thing?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Stop responding to Irish Joe, he's just trolling about trolling.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

cbirdsong posted:

Yeah, just so we're clear, your theory is that Lindy West hired a highly convincing voice actor to portray her harasser and interact with the TAL fact checking team, and has also been building up years and years of timestamped emails, tweets and comments from this harasser in preparation for faking this whole thing?

I'm saying if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Take a second and imagine the reverse. Say the story was about an online feminist who called out the author on XOJane. The author then writes a story about how online feminists play the victim for Patreon donations. He then produces an e-mail from the feminist saying that she doesn't actually believe anything she writes on XOJane, and that she's just making up death threats and bullying in order to boost donations to her Patreon. You would be naturally suspicious, and rightly so. Now apply the same suspicion you wield against viewpoints you disagree with, with those you don't, and you'll realize that there's definitely something fishy about the reformed troll who perfectly parrots the author's viewpoint.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The author's viewpoint is the one that's right. People can change. You're a douche

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

I'm saying if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Take a second and imagine the reverse. Say the story was about an online feminist who called out the author on XOJane. The author then writes a story about how online feminists play the victim for Patreon donations. He then produces an e-mail from the feminist saying that she doesn't actually believe anything she writes on XOJane, and that she's just making up death threats and bullying in order to boost donations to her Patreon. You would be naturally suspicious, and rightly so. Now apply the same suspicion you wield against viewpoints you disagree with, with those you don't, and you'll realize that there's definitely something fishy about the reformed troll who perfectly parrots the author's viewpoint.

Maybe this doesn't work because TAL and Lindy West are more credible than crying idiot internet boys

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

AndrewP posted:

Maybe this doesn't work because TAL and Lindy West are more credible than crying idiot internet boys

Yes, and Rolling Stone was credible until it wasn't. I don't care what side of debate you fall on, but questioning the credibility of the news--especially when something seems too good to be true--is never a bad thing. To quote the incomparable Benjamin Franklin, "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.”

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
Noo, the woman with the sexy voice is leaving Planet Money!

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

LittleFuryThings posted:

Noo, the woman with the sexy voice is leaving Planet Money!

What is wrong with your ears?

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Without knowing what you're talking about, I'm gonna guess you're talking about Zoe, is it Zoe? I was super into her voice too.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Without knowing what you're talking about, I'm gonna guess you're talking about Zoe, is it Zoe? I was super into her voice too.
yes, Zoe Chace. And she has the best accent:
http://youtu.be/aZu6vgGb0Ek

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
That William Burroughs episode was really hard to follow. I'm really surprised they liked it enough to rebroadcast it.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I like her reporting but she has a terrible voice.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

BeastOfExmoor posted:

That William Burroughs episode was really hard to follow. I'm really surprised they liked it enough to rebroadcast it.

I'm making a point of listening to all 540+ episodes of TAL... and this one is a real slog. I got about half way, took a nap, heard the last couple of minutes and declared it close enough. The David Rakoff one (472) was better.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This was the first episode I gave up on.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I liked it, but it didn't make me any more interested in Burroughs or any other personality from the Beat era.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

doctorfrog posted:

I liked it, but it didn't make me any more interested in Burroughs or any other personality from the Beat era.

Yeah same here, I enjoyed it but my overwhelming feeling was "well now I never have to read burroughs to suffer through a conversation about him."

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
This week's episode more than makes up for the Burroughs one. The little whodunit? about the parking lot shooting was really good. And if there was ever a bit that really backed up the claim that "cops see it differently" it would be the Milwaukee police chief being baffled that the public would be upset that a suspect died in the back of a cruiser.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Hearing the woman crying as the Milwaukee cops beat the poo poo out of him made my blood boil. However it was a great episode. Can't wait for part 2. And yeah the parking lot shooting was as good as it was frustrating. I'm also way behind on episodes. After I listened to the most recent I just picked a random one to listen to and happened to pick the Wake Up Now episode. Crazy poo poo.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Laughed real hard when the cop was like "We don't see black or white, we just see crime and not crime" yeah ok

looking forward to next week's episode

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Antifreeze Head posted:

This week's episode more than makes up for the Burroughs one. The little whodunit? about the parking lot shooting was really good. And if there was ever a bit that really backed up the claim that "cops see it differently" it would be the Milwaukee police chief being baffled that the public would be upset that a suspect died in the back of a cruiser.

At least he learned something from the incident. But yeah, this episode just drives home that there's different realities with this stuff.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
The narrator of the Milwaukee piece sounds exactly like Jesse Eisenberg.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Part 2 is out. Holy Christ at the Miami Gardens piece.

Also Robyn's cop friend pissed me off so much.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 16, 2015

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I really appreciate the nuanced take in these last two episodes. There's no easy answer, because that's something that rarely happens in real life, especially in situations like this. I've got enough blue-collar first responders and dirtbag criminals alike amongst my family and friends to testify that 'honesty' and 'simplicity' rarely accompany one another, though we wish it were otherwise.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Mars4523 posted:

I was pissed off but also just confused. It's almost like they've been brainwashed. How can you watch the Garner video and see him resisting arrest? Also, maybe people will lie to you about not being able to breathe, but maybe you should take a cue from Milwaukee and err on the side of caution there. You might have fewer people wind up dead.

The Vegas piece gave me some hope, but I'm not sure an approach like that would work in a situation in Miami Gardens where the cops were essentially a gang, harassing people for fun. We're not talking about split-second decisions that are governed by implicit bias, we're talking about an organized campaign of terrorizing poor Earl.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Heard this yesterday. I live in Miami-Dade and knew about the Miami Gardens story. None of that surprises me in the least, 90% of cops in this county (no matter what jurisdiction) are more or less uniformed thugs. I've had plenty of good interactions with cops here but waaay too many bad ones to ever trust them. I mean the chief of police of the city of Sweetwater (west of Miami proper, where FIU is) was revealed to have to one time been a known enforcer for drug traffickers (in the 80's) and the only person who suffered consequences was the mayor who tried to have him fired.

The most surprising thing was when they said alot of the new recruits to the Miami Gardens PD where from around the country and not Dade itself. They were probably experiencing a culture shock from all sides, both working in a predominantly black population (Miami Gardens) and living in an area of majority Latin population (the rest of Miami-Dade). Cops here (from here) are racist as all poo poo, very much including the Hispanic ones (which are the majority I'm pretty sure). My most pleasant memories of interactions with cops are black ones, now that I think about it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Going through my TAL backlog and just listened to the Lindy West segment and holy poo poo haha if you think that was real. Pro-tip: she writes for Jezebel.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Mars4523 posted:

Part 2 is out. Holy Christ at the Miami Gardens piece.

Her cop friend basically could not admit Eric Garner was telling the truth about not being able to breathe. :psyduck:

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

Going through my TAL backlog and just listened to the Lindy West segment and holy poo poo haha if you think that was real. Pro-tip: she writes for Jezebel.
Tell me more. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Well I would tell you more but first, I have this great bridge I was hoping you were interested in.

• Locked thread