Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DreadLlama posted:

Could you use that to tell a camera to take one picture every 5 seconds until it runs out of space?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mister Sinewave posted:

Ahahahahahaha holy poo poo

regret-dot-jay-pee-gee

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

geez, that is very stable. the first few seconds look like tripod footage.

Can you get the gimbal movement to have some sort of dampening? or exponential ramp up so the moves don't happen so instantly?

Yeah, I was actually flying it w/ the gimbal locked forward (until I pitched it down) so the pan is from me turning the drone rather than just the camera. I'm sure once I get more comfortable with it I'll be able to pan smoother but I'm also pretty sure there are some settings to dampen the follow speed of the camera.

I'm waiting on my second controller to arrive so hopefully when that comes the video pans handled by a second operator will be smoother.

Here's a pano I just stitched together and touched up a bit... it's ridiculous how easy this was to get, I mean I have a good amount of photo editing experience but this was having only flown the Inspire like a half dozen times and only spending about 15 minutes in Photoshop (photomerge) and Lightroom combined.

(click for big)

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 30, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Well, I now have everything ot build my "last" quadcopter. It's the fiberglass QFO frame. I have some DYS 1806 motors, some 12amp speed controls, a flip32+, a CPPM capable receiver, and a crap-ton of LEDs. The only other thing I might want is a GPS. We'll call this one "the cheap mans phantom".

DreadLlama posted:

I for one would like to learn a lot about heavyweight, long-endurance drones that are mostly battery that you could set to patrol over a fixed route and take a downward pointing photograph over fixed gps co-ordinates, and compare that to its previously taken photo, and send you an alarm if there are any significant differences.

Also has anyone tried powering a drone with a lawnmower engine on the same shaft as a car alternator?

Yes, people have made gas engine powered multi-copters. Doing the gas motor -> generator -> speed control -> electric motor thing is dumb though. The good ones use shafts and belts, and collective pitch instead of rpm controls. For all sorts of reasons, it's a better plan.

This has flown with a gas engine: http://curtisyoungblood.com/V2/products/quadcopters/stingray-500

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
One day, when I'm better at flying, I will own a Stingray.

He's also got a crazy 1200mm prototype running off gas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuExXFCCDgA

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(

Nerobro posted:

Well, I now have everything ot build my "last" quadcopter. It's the fiberglass QFO frame. I have some DYS 1806 motors, some 12amp speed controls, a flip32+, a CPPM capable receiver, and a crap-ton of LEDs. The only other thing I might want is a GPS. We'll call this one "the cheap mans phantom".

Yes, people have made gas engine powered multi-copters. Doing the gas motor -> generator -> speed control -> electric motor thing is dumb though. The good ones use shafts and belts, and collective pitch instead of rpm controls. For all sorts of reasons, it's a better plan.

This has flown with a gas engine: http://curtisyoungblood.com/V2/products/quadcopters/stingray-500

Doesn't adding all the mechanical complexity kinda defeat the purpose of a multicopter? The main advantage multicopers have over regular helis is that they are simple to build and fix. If you wanted an endurance platform, helis are more efficient anyway.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Scottw330 posted:

Doesn't adding all the mechanical complexity kinda defeat the purpose of a multicopter? The main advantage multicopers have over regular helis is that they are simple to build and fix. If you wanted an endurance platform, helis are more efficient anyway.

It's more what it can do vs a heli. Having 4 rotors changes what it's good at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scj8_XEEL1A (plus it survives diving into the weeds way better than a big 500 heli)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Scottw330 posted:

I didn't say it was a good idea.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What about turning a quadcopter into a blimp by tying a balloon to it?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

DreadLlama posted:

What about turning a quadcopter into a blimp by tying a balloon to it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piasecki_PA-97 Say what?

Scottw330
Jan 24, 2005

Please, Hammer,
Don't Hurt Em :(

quote:

The vibration was sufficient to cause a structural failure as the starboard rear helicopter broke off its mounting, its rotors cutting into the envelope. The unbalanced lift then made the vibrations worse and all of the other helicopters broke free.

Well, that ended poorly. My crashes don't seem so bad now!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

More mass always makes crashes more exciting.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Ok I was planning to buy an RTF kit off amazon but now I must build this Polish flying contraption machine. I will refrain from calling it a Zeppelin out of respect.

Is thermite still the best choice for painting? What about hydrofluoric acid? Have we decided whether rigid capsules of soft-vacuum were better than gasbags for compartmentation issues?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Has anyone tried the DJI Ground Station phone app yet? How can you set what altitude the bird needs to get to before taking off on a mission?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
on the pc version, you can set altitudes for each waypoint. I'd assume its the same for the ios / android versions. Also I manually put mine above tree / wire height before starting the mission.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Radbot posted:

Has anyone tried the DJI Ground Station phone app yet? How can you set what altitude the bird needs to get to before taking off on a mission?

Waypoint #1 always needs to be directly above your home point at the altitude that you want your 'first' waypoint to be. Otherwise it will fly a gradual ascent to your first position and run into that one tree.

That said I never have used ground station. I'd just as soon fly it myself.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DreadLlama posted:

Ok I was planning to buy an RTF kit off amazon but now I must build this Polish flying contraption machine. I will refrain from calling it a Zeppelin out of respect.

Is thermite still the best choice for painting? What about hydrofluoric acid? Have we decided whether rigid capsules of soft-vacuum were better than gasbags for compartmentation issues?

Whatever you do, just remember to pre-puncture your lipos. Maybe assign a servo to an aux channel that can slice into the cells while you're midair?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Welp, turns out my (admittedly cheap) Syma X5c Does not have reverse polarity protection. I found out because i bought a battery that physically fit and had the same connector, but the leads were reversed. luckily a brand new control board costs the mad price of 10 bucks :v (expected delivery: march 10th, gently caress...)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My crashes are never this cool :(

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0ImJuPpEpco

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Seeing all the curious and wary sea life was pretty cool, and he does recover the thing. Watching the video though it looks like he was *trying* to stall (which I don't think for a moment he actually was, he was just disoriented.) I did something similar my first real oh poo poo I'm lost crash.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, he was pretty clearly directly in line with the sun, made worse by it glaring off the ocean. The plane was probably an un-orientable black blob at that point.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
that just really makes me want an FPV RC submersible. also it makes me want to go to Australia.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Waypoint #1 always needs to be directly above your home point at the altitude that you want your 'first' waypoint to be. Otherwise it will fly a gradual ascent to your first position and run into that one tree.

That said I never have used ground station. I'd just as soon fly it myself.

This is exactly what I needed to know and couldn't find out anywhere. Thanks!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Went flying with SA forum member Doublethink today... took another photo:

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, he was pretty clearly directly in line with the sun, made worse by it glaring off the ocean. The plane was probably an un-orientable black blob at that point.

Yeah, I was wondering why the glare was a problem when he was facing away from the sun... then I realized he likely wasn't flying FPV. I suspect my OSD saved me from losing my plane the first time I got it up FPV. Home direction arrow came in handy until I began to recognize the area from above.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

MMD3 posted:

These panos are seriously rad! I'm glad you're posting them, though you are making me wish I had a setup capable of lifting my DSLR :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
quick, why shouldn't I impulse buy this?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__42503__Turnigy_Micro_Quad_V3_PNP_ARF_Includes_KK2_1_LCD_Flight_Control_Board.html

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

MMD3 posted:

Good lord, that's really nice! Looks like the camera has decent dynamic range.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It's a pile of crap parts, with a becoming dated flight controller. I'm going to buy one. :-)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Good lord, that's really nice! Looks like the camera has decent dynamic range.

yeah, it's pretty decent. It doesn't look nearly this good out of the camera but I take the raws, stitch them in photoshop, export as tiff, then massage them in lightroom until I get it looking how I want it.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Here's a quick video, 4k footage straight out of the camera. If anybody has a recommendation for coloring 4k footage I'd love to know what I should use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0XRSyn59KI

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nerobro posted:

It's a pile of crap parts, with a becoming dated flight controller. I'm going to buy one. :-)

Is the KK2.1 really dated? I thought it was the best one.

What about a Super-X? It uses one of those Multiwii controllers. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these until I saw that Turnigy deal
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__58128__Super_X_Brushless_125mm_Micro_Quad_Copter_With_MWC_Flight_Controller_BNF_KIT_.html

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Is the KK2.1 really dated? I thought it was the best one.

What about a Super-X? It uses one of those Multiwii controllers. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these until I saw that Turnigy deal
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__58128__Super_X_Brushless_125mm_Micro_Quad_Copter_With_MWC_Flight_Controller_BNF_KIT_.html

"becoming dated" It's not the choice of people who fly fast. it's not the choice of people who want to fly aerial video or photography. It's also big and relatively heavy. It's only real advantage is not needing a PC to re-program it. It is not the best flight controller.

"multiwii" based flight controllers are the common choice for a lot of aircraft now. Depending on weatehr it's a atmega or stm32 based.. it may use the same processor and gyro as a KK2, but you'll have the option of getting barometer, magnetic, and GPS sensors on top of the "well I know which way down is." sensors.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nerobro posted:

"becoming dated" It's not the choice of people who fly fast. it's not the choice of people who want to fly aerial video or photography. It's also big and relatively heavy. It's only real advantage is not needing a PC to re-program it. It is not the best flight controller.

"multiwii" based flight controllers are the common choice for a lot of aircraft now. Depending on weatehr it's a atmega or stm32 based.. it may use the same processor and gyro as a KK2, but you'll have the option of getting barometer, magnetic, and GPS sensors on top of the "well I know which way down is." sensors.

Cool, it sounds like the Multiwii based controller will give me more options down the line. I just want to make a little FPV platform.

I see people using some sort of shaft extender instead of a 2nd set of motors to create an 8 prop quad. Obviously this is more work for the engines and ESC but does it also provide more lift, or stability?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Mister Sinewave posted:

Ahahahahahaha holy poo poo

haha oh no. How'd that end?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
No idea, it was just a picture someone sent me. Hopefully just a crash and nothing any worse than that.

God drat you Hobby King they just started a 10-30% off sale, the SK450 I had been eyeing (RTF but I'll use my own radio) is like $128 - even cheaper than the PNF version. Can I mentally justify another $50-70 shipping charge on a separate order? Probably not.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I see people using some sort of shaft extender instead of a 2nd set of motors to create an 8 prop quad. Obviously this is more work for the engines and ESC but does it also provide more lift, or stability?

Where have you seen that? yes, it will get you more lift. You'll also get less stability. And your efficiency goes down. Most prop losses are at the tips. The more tips you have, the more you're "giving up" to those losses.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nerobro posted:

Where have you seen that? yes, it will get you more lift. You'll also get less stability. And your efficiency goes down. Most prop losses are at the tips. The more tips you have, the more you're "giving up" to those losses.
I was hoping for more stability, but judging from this guy's video he is also having stability problems. It seemed like a neat way to double the props without adding the weight of a 2nd set of motors, but won't do what I hoped it would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c-3ekccx6U

EDIT: I just ordered the MultiWii based Hobby-King Super-X instead of the KK2.1 based Turnigy . Looks like an easy way to get into/learn about a brushless setup and I can still fly it indoors.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 3, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The Super-X and the Turnigy are completely different sizes. The turnigy one is 250 class, the Super-X is 125 class.

The stability problems that guy is having are most likely related him using a KK v3 board, instead of a KK2 board. The KK (original series) boards have gyros only, no accelerometers, so it can't determine "up"

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I wouldn't touch a KK these days. I've got a couple of naze32's around, the inbuilt frsky telemetry is pretty useful.