Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Cricket's 5 megabit is still a lot better than the ntelos unlimited 3g at 30kb/sec(on a good day) i was paying $80 a month for before. Also faster than the 4Mb DSL at my parents house. Pretty cool to get internet through the air faster than most of the county can get through wire. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I want to give an update on the Simple Mobile sims I have been using from the previous post.

I went to Simple Mobile's website to see if there is a way to check your current data usage. There is no way to do it, no way to do it on an app either. Oh you need sim# and phone# to add a sim/device to your online user account, hilarious.

The good news is they upgraded the cheapest $40 plan to 2GB a month. So that's good. I probably can get by with just 2 sim every month.

As for the prefund sims on ebay, you can get one for less than 2 each if you buy 3-5 at a time. Keep in mind that these sellers are amateurs, out of 7-8 sims I have purchased so far, quite a few of them come in in wrong sim size, so keep your sim cutters handy. Cutting a regular sim to micro sim is easy, you can just do it with a scissor. However cutting a nano sim is harder. One time I also got a nano sim even though I wrote in the ebay message I need a micro sim. So I recommend getting a nano sim adapter jacket ahead of time too. This is something you can't jerryrig yourself.

I personally don't worry about the blacklist rumor anymore. Simple Mobile's discussion traffic on howardforum is so ridiculous small I don't think TMobile will bother. You can always switch to a different MVNO once in a while to break up the streak.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

whatever7 posted:

You really don't (need that speed), but what's the point of offering LTE models on Cricket anyway?

Anyway I look around this phone (Moto G LTE XT1045) is completely locked down. There is no root, no tether menu, no way to unlock bootloader or downgrade from 4.4.4. Actually this is the first Android device out of 20+ I have owned that I can't root. I think I will just get the $75 rebate and sell it.

I would too. I'd pay for an unlock code and dump it on swappa.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got a txt from cricket that I am qualify for the 100 porting credit, that's 5 days after I activated the number. That's pretty good.

I still see only 1GB data on my account online. What will happen will I switch to the $50 plan and switch back to the $40 plan? Wil I lose 10 dollars?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

whatever7 posted:

I got a txt from cricket that I am qualify for the 100 porting credit, that's 5 days after I activated the number. That's pretty good.

I still see only 1GB data on my account online. What will happen will I switch to the $50 plan and switch back to the $40 plan? Wil I lose 10 dollars?

It'll be prorated.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SB35 posted:

It'll be prorated.

Unless they fixed it, it'll reset your data meter too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Unless they fixed it, it'll reset your data meter too.

It does reset your data meter. I changed from Pro to Advanced as soon as it was mentioned here and my meter was reset.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SB35 posted:

It'll be prorated.

So if I change to $50 plan today, change to $40 plan tomorrow, I only pay 33 cents extra? And I get another 2.5gb bucket of data? Sounds good. I will do it when I get my promo credit.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

whatever7 posted:

So if I change to $50 plan today, change to $40 plan tomorrow, I only pay 33 cents extra? And I get another 2.5gb bucket of data? Sounds good. I will do it when I get my promo credit.

You only get two changes per month, so choose wisely.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SB35 posted:

You only get two changes per month, so choose wisely.

2 changes per month is alot, you get your data counter reset twice.

If you make the change on the 10th and the 20th days of the month, you can use 7.5 GB of data, for 43 bux.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I see Cricket has a $100/month plan for 5 lines with 2.5gb data each. Are there any catches that I should be aware of? If you are already on a Cricket individual line are you able to merge accounts together to get a group? I can easily come up with 4 people so this is very promising unless there's a detail that I'm missing.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I see Cricket has a $100/month plan for 5 lines with 2.5gb data each. Are there any catches that I should be aware of? If you are already on a Cricket individual line are you able to merge accounts together to get a group? I can easily come up with 4 people so this is very promising unless there's a detail that I'm missing.

I got in on a plan with a redditor last month and all I had to do was call in and get his account number and ask to move it over to mine. 5 minute phone call. Cricket is amazing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

I got in on a plan with a redditor last month and all I had to do was call in and get his account number and ask to move it over to mine. 5 minute phone call. Cricket is amazing.

Any other differences from an individual plan that I should be aware of? I do currently tether from my line, is that something that is actively prevented on a group one? Not that I expect there to be a difference but looking to root out anything that I may care about.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Any other differences from an individual plan that I should be aware of? I do currently tether from my line, is that something that is actively prevented on a group one? Not that I expect there to be a difference but looking to root out anything that I may care about.

Technically you're not allowed to tether at all but I haven't heard of anyone really been cut off or terminated. The only other difference would be losing out on autopay but gaining the group discounts as long as everyone is on the $40-$60 plans.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

Technically you're not allowed to tether at all but I haven't heard of anyone really been cut off or terminated. The only other difference would be losing out on autopay but gaining the group discounts as long as everyone is on the $40-$60 plans.

Right, technically I cannot but I didn't know if there was any different enforcement on the group plans. I haven't had any issues for nearly a year now with mild daily use.

What do you mean on losing out on autopay? That one person will have it and everyone else has to pay them? Or are you only talking about the autopay discount, which seems irrelevant when you're averaging $20/line.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Right, technically I cannot but I didn't know if there was any different enforcement on the group plans. I haven't had any issues for nearly a year now with mild daily use.

What do you mean on losing out on autopay? That one person will have it and everyone else has to pay them? Or are you only talking about the autopay discount, which seems irrelevant when you're averaging $20/line.

If you've got only one line on the account, you get a $5 discount for doing autopay. If you add even one more person, you can not qualify yourself for autopay anymore but instead get a group discount ONLY if they use the Basic, Smart, or Pro plans. So if you had two people on the account and they both had for instance the new Advanced plans or just the Talk & Text, you wouldn't be able to get the group discount OR autopay. This is probably an edge case, but for simplicity's sake I could see people doing it if they just gave their kids dumb phones or didn't want internet.

The one cool thing about Cricket though is that you can have anyone on your account log into the site and pay a portion (or all) of the bill. So with the random reddit guy I have on mine, he just pays his portion each month on his own and I see it reflected on my account summary and get a nice text message. Logging in doesn't give them any ability outside of paying.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

If you've got only one line on the account, you get a $5 discount for doing autopay. If you add even one more person, you can not qualify yourself for autopay anymore but instead get a group discount ONLY if they use the Basic, Smart, or Pro plans. So if you had two people on the account and they both had for instance the new Advanced plans or just the Talk & Text, you wouldn't be able to get the group discount OR autopay. This is probably an edge case, but for simplicity's sake I could see people doing it if they just gave their kids dumb phones or didn't want internet.

The one cool thing about Cricket though is that you can have anyone on your account log into the site and pay a portion (or all) of the bill. So with the random reddit guy I have on mine, he just pays his portion each month on his own and I see it reflected on my account summary and get a nice text message. Logging in doesn't give them any ability outside of paying.

Oh, that is a fantastic feature. It's as if they're designing this for this exact purpose. Smart on them. Everyone I'd be including would be on the 2.5GB plans so I think I'm all set. To clarify, I would lose the autopay discount or the ability to have my monthly payment automatically paid completely?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Oh, that is a fantastic feature. It's as if they're designing this for this exact purpose. Smart on them. Everyone I'd be including would be on the 2.5GB plans so I think I'm all set. To clarify, I would lose the autopay discount or the ability to have my monthly payment automatically paid completely?

Just the discount, payment can still be automatic each month. People can also switch data plans at any time in the month and it will prorate you depending on how far into the cycle you are.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 3, 2015

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cricket knows people tether but they currently aren't doing much about it. This doesn't mean they won't later but,tight now, I don't believe they're doing anything unless you're tethering your laptop or desktop or something.

Cricket, when owned by Leap Wireless, had tethering as a monthly add-on. I'm not sure if AT&T will do the same but with 20GB per month, I wouldn't be surprised.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThermoPhysical posted:

Cricket knows people tether but they currently aren't doing much about it. This doesn't mean they won't later but,tight now, I don't believe they're doing anything unless you're tethering your laptop or desktop or something.

Cricket, when owned by Leap Wireless, had tethering as a monthly add-on. I'm not sure if AT&T will do the same but with 20GB per month, I wouldn't be surprised.

So do you have to change your browser User Agent when tether with a laptop?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Moto G is back in stock on Crickets site. I was remorseful that I didn't grab one for the $25 ($100 - $75 gift card) earlier. Am I eligible for the $25 pricing as an upgrade or is that only for new customers?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

Moto G is back in stock on Crickets site. I was remorseful that I didn't grab one for the $25 ($100 - $75 gift card) earlier. Am I eligible for the $25 pricing as an upgrade or is that only for new customers?

Pretty sure it's for everyone, but keep in mind Cricket usually wants you to pay a month's service ontop of the phone price.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pretty sure it's for everyone, but keep in mind Cricket usually wants you to pay a month's service ontop of the phone price.

So money I'd already spend? I'm cool with that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

So money I'd already spend? I'm cool with that.

Haha yeah, pretty much.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cricket support is weird:

quote:

Erika: Hey Stavros
Erika: welcome to Cricket
Erika: how are you?
Stavros: I am well, how are you?
Stavros: Hello Erika, I see that the Moto G is available for $25 after rebate ($### - $75 gift card). As an existing Cricket Wireless user, is this offer available to me or is it only to new customers? What is the process, if not?
Erika: I'm fine thank you so much for asking
Erika: You like that Moto G?
Erika: That phone is awesome :)

Thinking the G would be a great backup / media phone, especially at $25.

edit: She said only for new activations though, but their customer support has been known to be bad. When I go to 'upgrade' on my account it shows up as an option at $25.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 5, 2015

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
That $25 Moto G does seem like a great backup phone. If I order it with an additional line, can I just take the SIM card out when it gets here, and use it in an iPhone 4S? I've been meaning to switch the wife over to Cricket, and that works out to $15 more than just ordering the SIM card kit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you're ok with her getting a cricket number and being hounded by collections agencies and scorned lovers.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

If you're ok with her getting a cricket number and being hounded by collections agencies and scorned lovers.

This can happen with any carrier. I've had it happen with Sprint, Google Voice, Straight Talk, and most recently Verizon.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

That $25 Moto G does seem like a great backup phone. If I order it with an additional line, can I just take the SIM card out when it gets here, and use it in an iPhone 4S? I've been meaning to switch the wife over to Cricket, and that works out to $15 more than just ordering the SIM card kit.

This is a really good plan. You can totally do this. Get a backup phone and you can still just port your wife's number over at the same time. PM me and I can hook you up with a referral for $25.

Cojawfee posted:

She can just port over her old number...

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
It seems like if you don't go to areas without T-Mobile service, Harbor Mobile is the way to go. Cheaper than Cricket, no speed caps, supports tethering, and has international data and SMS roaming included. Am I missing something?

Can someone that uses Harbor Mobile with an iPhone comment on iMessage and Facetime compatibility? I've heard there there are some issues with the verification of the phone number for those services.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
AT&T GoPhone is bumping the data on their $45 and $60 smartphone plans: http://blogs.att.net/consumerblog/story/a7797591

$45 gets 1.5gig then throttled to 128kbps
$60 gets 4Gig then throttled to 128kbps

Also unlimited calling to Mexico on the $60 plan. I know it's not Cricket good, but this is unthrottled data with no proxy lag and legitimate tethering.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
TracFone now does 4G LTE. Check the IEMI of the phone first through the BYOP to see if it's activatable. If it askes for the SIM card number say you don't have one and they'll send you one Fedex 2nd day air for $10. You need it for the NAC.

Speeds are throttled to 5/2 Mbps.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SlayVus posted:

Speeds are throttled to 5/2 Mbps.

I like to think it's a timed average of speed over the course of a 1-minute period during which the user actually sees one webpage load at approximately 20 Mbps but all other attempts time out, resulting in an average of 5/2.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hey all, have a quick question. I am on Cricket and sending my Sony Z3c in for a warranty repair and my friend loaned me his Z1S as a loaner phone until I get it back. He said he was pretty sure it was unlocked but when I put my sim in I can a prompt to a code to unlock the sim. Does this mean that the phone is not unlocked or that something needs to be done on the Cricket side of things to work with this phone? I've swapped my sim with other unlocked phones before and never encountered this issue but wanted to make sure I was troubleshooting down the right path from the start.

Thanks!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Finally activated my wife's new phone on Ting using their GSM sim. So far, so good and I was really happy/impressed with how easy and fast activation was. I'll be curious to see how her coverage compares to mine since I'm still on Sprint.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

TraderStav posted:

Hey all, have a quick question. I am on Cricket and sending my Sony Z3c in for a warranty repair and my friend loaned me his Z1S as a loaner phone until I get it back. He said he was pretty sure it was unlocked but when I put my sim in I can a prompt to a code to unlock the sim. Does this mean that the phone is not unlocked or that something needs to be done on the Cricket side of things to work with this phone? I've swapped my sim with other unlocked phones before and never encountered this issue but wanted to make sure I was troubleshooting down the right path from the start.

Thanks!

Yep, his phone is carrier locked.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TLG James posted:

Yep, his phone is carrier locked.

Great, thanks for the clarification. I popped it back in my Z3C and just went ahead and ordered the Lumia 635 as I want to dabble with WP anyway. I always got text messages from Cricket talking about all these rewards I was earning but see no mention of them on the website or my account for redemption. It's a free phone anyway with the VISA gift card so I'm not terribly concerned.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Great, thanks for the clarification. I popped it back in my Z3C and just went ahead and ordered the Lumia 635 as I want to dabble with WP anyway. I always got text messages from Cricket talking about all these rewards I was earning but see no mention of them on the website or my account for redemption. It's a free phone anyway with the VISA gift card so I'm not terribly concerned.

I think it's only free for new customers... As in I'm not sure you'll be approved for the rebate.

You probably could've just went on eBay and bought a carrier unlock code for like $3

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

SB35 posted:

I think it's only free for new customers... As in I'm not sure you'll be approved for the rebate.

You probably could've just went on eBay and bought a carrier unlock code for like $3

Hrm, that is odd because when I click 'upgrade your phone' from my account page it takes me to the store screen with the $0 price. If that's not false advertising I don't know what is. They will receive a stern and angry letter if that rebate is not honored.

I would have, but it's not my phone and didn't want to do that. I know it's easy as I've done it in the past but I don't like to do anything non-standard to other people's tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

TraderStav posted:

Hrm, that is odd because when I click 'upgrade your phone' from my account page it takes me to the store screen with the $0 price. If that's not false advertising I don't know what is. They will receive a stern and angry letter if that rebate is not honored.

I would have, but it's not my phone and didn't want to do that. I know it's easy as I've done it in the past but I don't like to do anything non-standard to other people's tech.

Cricket's upgrade program isn't that great anyway. You get a credit for every month you pay, and 12 credits gets you $50 off a phone.