Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mister Sinewave posted:

Dang, it's hard. It's tough just missing opening a chest when you know it is (or could be) your one chance to get help.
I was seriously considering lowering the difficulty of every chest (except the gimme, obviously) by 1 across the board. Do you think that would help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That sounds like an elegant way to up the average successful chest results, if that's what your game needs.

It's rough to miss out on chests because of bad rolls because you know they're your only shot at upgrades. But that's life in a random dungeon!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The Labyrinth of S'xsyde, Version 1.02!

I went ahead and changed the chest tables somewhat significantly, as well as a few other minor tweaks I'd been considering.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 21, 2015

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I'm in rapid prototyping mode, trying to get ready for Tomarrow night. I met a fellow game designer at my FLGS and now I need to put together tiles with 1/2" grid and the remaining units and cards I need. Excited and nervous because this will be my first real play-test.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Poison Mushroom posted:

The Labyrinth of S'xsyde

Your posts about making a small dungeon crawler inspired me.

I decided to try for a card-based angle, with each card representing a room. I think it feels, psychologically, more thematic that the dungeon is entirely pre-placed and you're just discovering it, rather than generating it on the go. I also decided to use regular playing cards so that anyone can play it (sort of a similar idea to using graph paper). From there it was just a matter of coming up with card-based mechanics for everything.

I ended up writing a bunch more rules than 2 pages, but it should be simple enough to understand. I also ended up making the game modular, with each dungeon and each hero having unique rules, mostly because I couldn't decide on a "one-rule-fits-all" for many cases.

Try it out and tell me what you think. You need a standard deck of playing cards and two coins.

Dungeons of Dex, v1
Alternate link

Morholt fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 22, 2015

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Poison Mushroom posted:

The Labyrinth of S'xsyde, Version 1.02!

I went ahead and changed the chest tables somewhat significantly, as well as a few other minor tweaks I'd been considering.

I tried the new version with an Explorer, again difficulty 1. Went OK but I still got creamed :haw:

Used my torch at the beginning to help find a Chest where I got a rad sword. Rolled snake eyes on a second chest that should have been a cakewalk near the end of level 1, so I took an exploring detour using up the rest of the torch to find a second chest (fireball scroll). Made short work of the boss (Giant Rat) with my sword.

Second level highlights: found another torch and used it up, found a bow (useless to me as it was better to use my sword anyway), and another Fireball scroll. Got hurt bad by a trap. Made it to the boss (Pyromancer). Used both fireball scrolls then laid into him. Took damage but still just managed to kill him... but his 2 damage death blast killed me. We joined each other in death :black101:

Might make a fun app in the style of e.g. Totally Random Hero

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mister Sinewave posted:

I tried the new version with an Explorer, again difficulty 1. Went OK but I still got creamed :haw:

Used my torch at the beginning to help find a Chest where I got a rad sword. Rolled snake eyes on a second chest that should have been a cakewalk near the end of level 1, so I took an exploring detour using up the rest of the torch to find a second chest (fireball scroll). Made short work of the boss (Giant Rat) with my sword.

Second level highlights: found another torch and used it up, found a bow (useless to me as it was better to use my sword anyway), and another Fireball scroll. Got hurt bad by a trap. Made it to the boss (Pyromancer). Used both fireball scrolls then laid into him. Took damage but still just managed to kill him... but his 2 damage death blast killed me. We joined each other in death :black101:

Might make a fun app in the style of e.g. Totally Random Hero
Yessssssssss :getin:

I'll have to give this a look!

1.03 is coming down the pipeline soon. I'm completely gutting the random tables and taking a much more structured approach with how they're laid out. This should soften the difficulty somewhat, as well as make it more consistent. Holding off on dropping it with just that, because I want to improve the formatting in some places, bold some important passages, etc.

Labyrinth of S'xsyde v1.03! With exciting new features like "intuitive table layout", "competent formatting" and "different opening image". I did a pretty massive overhaul of the Monster, Trap, and Obstacle tables so they're more consistent now, and simplified the HP-gaining rules. The game is a bit easier, but that's what the difficulty slider is for. I think this is going to be the last "main" update unless something major jumps out that needs fixing.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 23, 2015

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Also I tried this out and I have to agree that it's really hard. Some people might like that, I found it frustrating. One thing that stood out to me is that getting lucky with room rolls is probably the largest factor in how successful you are. Perhaps pre-placing a few rooms (two or so chests even) in each floor might be a good idea? It would give the player some incentive to do something else than beeline for the guardian as well. Just roll 2D6 and use one for the row and the other for the column where the room appears.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Morholt posted:

Also I tried this out and I have to agree that it's really hard. Some people might like that, I found it frustrating. One thing that stood out to me is that getting lucky with room rolls is probably the largest factor in how successful you are. Perhaps pre-placing a few rooms (two or so chests even) in each floor might be a good idea? It would give the player some incentive to do something else than beeline for the guardian as well. Just roll 2D6 and use one for the row and the other for the column where the room appears.
...that is a brilliant idea. It doesn't give guaranteed items, but it does give a guaranteed CHANCE of items. I think I prefer it being in the top-left corner, though, as opposed to randomly placed. Simpler to explain, and kind of subtly hints at the "explore more of the dungeon to find more chests" strategy.

Edit ...and I saved the doc in the wrong format (2007 docx, I think), so now all the formatting is busted when I load it. God dammit, LibreOffice.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Perhaps stating the obvious, but with Manhattan distance (orthogonal movement only) traveling along the edge of the map is the same distance as diagonally through. So a single chest in a corner is not a detour.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Morholt posted:

Perhaps stating the obvious, but with Manhattan distance (orthogonal movement only) traveling along the edge of the map is the same distance as diagonally through. So a single chest in a corner is not a detour.
It is if you hit a "back to previous room" obstacle. :getin:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just finished up the rough draft of a new game. Dragon, Griffon, Troll, a two player abstract strategy/deduction game inspired by what I felt where some flaws in Battleship's design. It could also seriously use some playtesting.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Huh. That's actually really cool looking. I'd playtest it. Do you wanna open up a thread or something to play it on?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ActingPower posted:

Huh. That's actually really cool looking. I'd playtest it. Do you wanna open up a thread or something to play it on?
Sure, what the hell. Why not? Does anyone else want to be the other player? That way for the first game, I can be a neutral, rules-answering third party.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

The rules seem pretty straightforward. I'm willing to play against you. I'll just log my moves somewhere that I can't change them.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'd be up for giving a shot.

Quick question re Dragons - do they always point up, or can you pick a facing when you summon them (e.g. making their attack area 2 squares to the left and one to the right)?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

I'd be up for giving a shot.

Quick question re Dragons - do they always point up, or can you pick a facing when you summon them (e.g. making their attack area 2 squares to the left and one to the right)?

I'm pretty sure they have to be facing the same way. Otherwise the opposing player wouldn't be able to predict it as well.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I guess it could be an advanced variant or something. Should be easy enough to represent by drawing the triangle differently.

Also I made a thing which may help with playing the game:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Poison Mushroom posted:

...that is a brilliant idea. It doesn't give guaranteed items, but it does give a guaranteed CHANCE of items. I think I prefer it being in the top-left corner, though, as opposed to randomly placed. Simpler to explain, and kind of subtly hints at the "explore more of the dungeon to find more chests" strategy.

Edit ...and I saved the doc in the wrong format (2007 docx, I think), so now all the formatting is busted when I load it. God dammit, LibreOffice.

I used the Explorer twice for the ability to use the torch to increase my chance (a little) of finding Chests because the earlier the better for gear.

I was considering starting my last game as a "Rich Explorer" who got went "shopping" and got two chest rolls for free before starting but that's just cheating :ssh:

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

I guess it could be an advanced variant or something. Should be easy enough to represent by drawing the triangle differently.

Also I made a thing which may help with playing the game:

Oh, hey! Those pictures are cool! I have a piece of paper in front of me, so I was just going to use that. :v:
I've created a thread over here to play it. I'll play against anybody who's up for it, so drop by if you're interested!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The first playest went pretty well, I think the game has legs!

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Master List of Characters
Capital > Reaction: Block Foreign Aid taken by an opponent.
  • Duke: Take $3 from the Bank.
  • Bureau Chief: Take $1 from the Bank and an extra action. Cannot be claimed during the extra action.
  • CEO: Take $4 from the Bank. Reaction: Steal $1 from an opponent who claims CEO.*
  • Inside Trader: Take coins from the Bank equal to your current holdings, to a max of $5. If you claim this and lose a challenge over it, the challenger steals all your money.
*All players who Reaction claim this do so simultaneously before challenges may be issued.

Informant > Reaction: Block any Agent action used against you.
  • Ambassador: Exchange 2 cards with the Court deck.
  • Journalist: Take $1 from the Bank and exchange 1 card with the Court deck.
  • Broadcaster: Pay $1 to the Bank to exchange 3 cards with the Court deck.
  • Investigator: May exchange 1 card with the Court deck, +1 for each $1 paid to the Bank when you claim this role.

Agent > Reaction: Block any Agent action used against you.
  • Captain: Steal $2 from an opponent.
  • Illuminati: Steal $1 from all other players.
  • Revolutionary: Steal $3 from the richest player and give it to the poorest player.
  • Confidence Man: Reaction: If an opponent gains more than $1 from an action, intercept the gain.

Force
  • Assassin: Pay $3 to the Bank to make an opponent lose 1 Influence.
  • Militia: Pay $5 to make all opponents lose 1 Influence each. Reaction: Protects you from the effect of an opponent's Milita.
  • Mafia: Pay $5 to the Bank to make an opponent lose 1 Influence. That opponent can give you $2 to Block this.
  • Judge: Give an opponent $3 to make them lose 1 Influence.

Support
  • Contessa: Reaction: Block any Force action used against you.
  • Missionary: Reaction: If you lose an Influence from anything but a Coup, you may lose this card facedown to gain another card.*
  • Scholar: Reaction: If you lose an Influence, you may lose this card facedown to take $5 from the Bank.*
  • Lawyer: Reaction: If a player loses their last Influence, steal all their money.**
Some of these roles are 100% better if you don't take into account revenge. For example, mafia and judge are both worse than assassin. Was this intentional? I can see the 'worse' versions can be used to soften the blow while bluffing, but it would be nice if they were buffed to make them match up to their equivalents.

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 25, 2015

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So, in Lost in the Woods I feel like the risk management aspect is bland. As I said, you set aside one random card of 6(Might want more) total, half of which are "good" and the other half "bad" (This check is represents things like if the stranger offering help wants to help or harm you.). Players look at half of the cards minus one to judge whether the risk is worth continuing.,

But this just doesn't seem an interesting way for players to make an informed guesses of which to choose and feels just kind of random and uninteresting. Any thoughts on this?

I want this game to be about two things, cleverly using items to overcome obstacles, and judging risk/rewards of resources during "scenarios" (cards in the deck). The primary resources for the player besides items are their morale (which is constantly ticking down) and health.

Edit: Another idea in the game I'm thinking of is the idea of temptation. The narrator player offers things like more items, or a chance to heal at a cost, but I'm not sure that works. it feels like a player would never make a deal with their direct opponent (i.e there's only two teams in this game). I feel like maybe there was hidden info each player had this might increase the chance of this working and rules about sharing info), but I think this game is maybe too complex already for a story game as it is.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 25, 2015

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

My board game is ready for playtesting. It's only about the first third of the game, but I felt it's a good idea to test the foundation.

I have some friends coming over to test it this weekend and I planned on giving them some playtesting sheets. For those of you who have experience, what do you ask of your testers?

I'm thinking of breaking it down piece by piece and asking for their opinions on everything from the card size, clarity of the rules, and overall flow to costs, balance, and art style.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'll paraphrase something that might come in useful if you're asking people for their feedback on a game.

When people tell you they didn't like something, or that something didn't work for them, take it to heart because they're almost guaranteed to be right.

When they proceed to tell you how they think it should be fixed, they are almost guaranteed to be totally wrong. :goleft:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Get specifics and reasons. In this case more than any other in discussing boardgames, 'I had fun/didn't have fun' is really not remotely useful feedback.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

The worst submarine posted:

Some of these roles are 100% better if you don't take into account revenge. For example, mafia and judge are both worse than assassin. Was this intentional? I can see the 'worse' versions can be used to soften the blow while bluffing, but it would be nice if they were buffed to make them match up to their equivalents.

The point is that you only pick one from each category, so in a game where the Mafia is used that will be the only action capable of making players lose influence, which has a strong effect on the overall flow of the game.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So, I’m trying to design a rhythm tabletop game. I have no idea if this is even something that can be reliably done? But my vague idea is a simple card game that is done in real time, with a song of the players’ choice used as a timer. The length of the song would determine how many cards players use, so it’ll be appropriately difficult. Players would have to play cards in beat with the music, with the group of players policing the timing. If a player is too slow on the beat, then they’re skipped and the next player goes instead. If they’re too fast, they’re skipped and need to take a penalty of some kind. Not entirely sure how the actual card game itself would play, to be honest - I'm thinking it'd be based on trying to combo cards together to earn points - you'd have your string of cards in front of you that you could play cards onto, and maybe be able to play onto others' as well to try and mess them up. Whoever has the most points at the end of the song wins.

I’m not entirely sure how well this would work towards keeping the beat, but it might do well enough to encourage players to go along with the beat. Anyone know of any really simple real-time card games I might look to for inspiration? Along with card games that take maybe 3-5 minutes to play.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
This might turn on some ideas in your head, but have you played Falling? It's kind of a speed game but the pace and tempo is set by one player who is the dealer. They deal cards one at a time faceup around the table, one to each player. If card resolution requires it they pause to resolve stuff, then move on.

Sort of like a conductor, they control the tempo. Perhaps the idea and flow might help your thought process.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Huh, I’ve never played that! I recognized the name, but didn’t really know anything about how it plays. After looking up a quick gameplay explanation on youtube, it does sound fairly similar to what I was thinking - not exactly the same, but enough to give me some stuff to think about. My vague idea was having each card have a colored border or a symbol, and you’d need to make chains of cards to get more points. Not really any decisions being made in that situation aside form which card to chain into to keep the chain going, so was thinking maybe you could slap cards onto another player’s chain in order to mess them up - like if you place a card in a chain that doesn’t match colors, it’s worth negative points instead of positive.

Dunno, I'll try out some different ideas. Thanks for bringing Falling to my attention, though!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
No prob. One other thing that comes to mind when you mention chains is Markov Chains. They are useful as the basis for making - among other things - "random" melodies.

You can't just randomly go from one note to another because not all note transitions are melodious. So you set up a Markov Chain which says things like "note C can lead to D (30%) or E (20%) or F (50%) because those sound okay, but never to F sharp because C directly to F# sounds like poo poo." (Note: may or may not sound like poo poo, just an example.)

Set up enough of that - permissible transitions are ones that sound melodious, non-melodious ones are forbidden - and you have a random music generator where you can play with the tempo, pitch, rhythm, weightings within the chain, or whatever and it might sound weird but never dischordant. And despite being random it's not random in the sense that "any note can lead to any other unpredictably".

OK that's less applicable to you maybe but Markov Chain state weighting sounds oddly like not only how melodies are structured, but also sounds like the basis for a scoring or matching system, doesn't it?

But I have a soft spot for that poo poo so maybe I just like stories :unsmith:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Can anyone share any words/thoughts/articles as to the worker placement (if that’s the right term) allocation within game design. For fun rather than production, I’ve been making a game that’s more like Dungeon Petz crossed with some other mechanics, and while I’ve had fun designing and soon to be testing those mechanics, I’m not sure how to spread the actions performed. There are many actions you can do to build up your ‘base’, but I’m not sure whether to make them exclusive, or use an auction system, or how many ‘worker’s per turn to have and all that. I’ll probably just have to copy something and develop it as I go along, but if anyone has anything to consider while I focus on this aspect of the game, it would be appreciated.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

The point is that you only pick one from each category, so in a game where the Mafia is used that will be the only action capable of making players lose influence, which has a strong effect on the overall flow of the game.
I figured that out eventually, but thanks! My group played with some of these today, always with one of each category (randomly selected) Thoughts:

Bureau Chief was a pretty fun way to bluff. No one wanted to call someone out over one extra money, and it didn't have a lot of problems the other cards tended to have (mass money).
CEO has some issues. Say you CEO turn 1, everyone else (5 other players) can claim CEO and take your poo poo. It's a better than half chance to call someone out, but it's not a good chance. Most of the other CEOs won't call others out either because 1) it's funny and 2) they can save that information for themselves. Basically, CEO was a bad action to use most of the time until the game has <= 3 people left, then its really really good. It might work fine with 5 people but not with 6.

Journalist was the only ambassador-like we played with because it worked so well (and people had doubts about the others). In 6 player games ambassador is one of the stronger moves because of the information and the potential to swap, so trading some of that information for a money worked well.

Revolutionary was a funny card, but also extremely frustrating. It's more annoying than captain to deal with and it can pump the entire table up to ridiculous sums of money. Then if everyone has dumb amounts of cash no one wants to pull the trigger because they can get shot right back.
Confidence Man is fundamentally broken with a few other cards. The ability to completely negate most of the Duke-likes was stupid good, and often confusing to boot. It left a lot of sour feelings even after we ruled it to steal half of the money (rounded up).

Mafia some people liked (including myself) but we were confused by the wording. In the end we ruled that if someone blocks your assassination, you keep the money used ($5) and take their paid money ($2) for a total of $7 if they don't lose a card. It worked well and it felt like an interesting choice to make sometimes, especially with some of the Contessa replacements.
Judge we played with briefly, but I kind of enjoyed it. It might be worse than assassin, but if someone's dead it doesn't matter that much. And it does a good job of stopping revenge kills!

Missionary is completely ridiculous in 6 player games. If someone has a missionary, then they get access to one of the remaining three cards in the deck, so they have that information and a new card. In addition, when the pile runs out (3 missionaries and 3 extra cards), then the ambassador-likes are mostly useless. Did not like.
Scholar, conversely, was really fun (especially with mafia or judge). It made the game swingy, but also made you feel Cool&Smart when you racked up 5+ money when it's not even your turn. It's also a hilarious bluff because it keeps hidden information hidden. I would almost replace the Contessa with Scholar in regular games if the assassin wasn't so good.

Basically we really liked scholar and journalist but there were some really bad ones (confidence man, missionary).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I couldn't sleep, and I was tossing and turning came up with this idea. I decided to write it down:

Engarde is a game of dueling among swashbucklers. Each player holds a rapier in each hand, and is facing off against an opponent on either side. For 3 to 6 players.

Players arrange themselves in a circle. Each player gets a rapier deck for each hand, representing the moves they can make with that hand.

Each turn players look through their rapier deck and choose one of the following,
Thrust
Feint
Parry
Riposte

One player is "on point" and has a button indicating this. They are first to act. They choose which hand goes first, and flip over the card they've chosen for that hand. The player next to the hand then flips over their matching card. The cards resolve in the following way
Thrust:
TO thrust, it is a tie. Instead of discarding the thrust cards, they are put back into the deck.
TO feint, the thrusting player kills the feinting player. They are out of the game after resolving any other unplayed card.
TO parry, the thrusting player is disarmed. They get rid of the deck in that hand, and now face off against their opponents on either side with their remaining deck. The player who successfully parried gets to add the thrust card to the deck of the hand that successfully parried. If a player has both decks parried away, then they are defenseless until killed by a thrust. If they survive one round like this, they may reclaim one of their decks.
TO riposte, the thrusting player is killed. They are out of the game after resolving any other unplayed card.

Every other combination provides a null result.

Each player gets a single "fate" token. They may use this once per game to immediately turn their back to the table, effectively making the left hand result into the right hand result and vice versa. However, they must play with their back to the table for the rest of the game.

Play is resolved going in whatever direction the player on point decided to start in (if they started to their left move clockwise, if they started to their right move counter clockwise).

All played cards, once everything has been resolved, move to a space in front of the player. The cards may be placed ANYWHERE still touching the last played card placed, and players may place cards in an effort to confuse their opponents as to what hand has played what, but the symbol on the card must always be visible.

So, play proceeds as follows:
Each player chooses a card for any hand's deck that remains.
When they are ready they say "Salut"
After each player has confirmed "Salut" the player on point says "En Garde!" and reveals whichever card they'd like to begin.
Play proceeds around in the corresponding direction, resolving duels between hands.
After play has resumed players place their played cards in front of them and when they are finished they say, "Salut"
Once every player has said "Salut" the on point button moves to the left, and a new round begins.

Special conditions.

If a player is facing off against two opponents with a single deck and they are killed by the first match-up, then they resolve the remaining attack with the same card before they leave the game. If they were both parries, the first player to have parried gets the thrust card and the other player to have parried gets nothing.

If players are left who lack thrust cards to make killing blows, then they must show their remaining cards, and then may pick up a thrust card in front of them and put it back into the deck.

Any time a player is out of cards in a deck they must play the next round as if they had feinted, and if they survive they may take any three cards from the pile in front of them to reconstitute their deck.

The last player alive is the winner. If it gets down to two players, then they play player 1's left hand to player 2's right hand and vice versa.

STUFF I'M NOT SURE ABOUT:
Not sure about how to balance the TFPR cards. I'm thinking 2 each.

Do you have a set deck for each hand, or do you have a general pool of cards that you can split evenly between the two and once you do you can't swap between decks?

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I would like to note Reiner Knizia has a game named En Garde if that's any concern (it's what Flash Duel ripped off was inspired by). Not to mention that term immediately conjures ideas of a duel (i.e. two-player game) over a free-for-all.

Also turning your back to a board sounds exhausting.

In regards to what you're not sure about :

• Playtest both obviously, but each player having their own set deck would probably work better.
  • If you're doing player elimination, making the game as fast as possible would be smart. See if you can get away with 1 of each card, or only 2 of some cards, etc.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Look at how BANG! works as well. It's a (usually) very quick game with similar-sounding mechanics and purpose.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trynant posted:

I would like to note Reiner Knizia has a game named En Garde if that's any concern (it's what Flash Duel ripped off was inspired by). Not to mention that term immediately conjures ideas of a duel (i.e. two-player game) over a free-for-all.

Also turning your back to a board sounds exhausting.

In regards to what you're not sure about :

• Playtest both obviously, but each player having their own set deck would probably work better.
  • If you're doing player elimination, making the game as fast as possible would be smart. See if you can get away with 1 of each card, or only 2 of some cards, etc.

En Garde was just the first (sort of lazy) thing that popped into my head, but that's good to know. I think I'm going to leave turning your back in, because it also makes it harder to see what cards have been played.

I agree about timing, especially since the first round is the most luck based and it would be easy to get eliminated early. I was thinking 2 of each card makes sense. Without playtesting my ideas is that there's a pretty clear hierarchy of cards in power:

Feint: not good at all. You want to play these strategically, ideally when you think your opponent isn't going to thrust. You want them out of your deck so that you're down to the wire with your power cards.
Thrust: the major way to kill people, but also incredibly risky.
Parry: No real risk in playing this, other than wasting it. You may also gain another offensive card and seriously disable an opponent.
Riposte: Easily the best card in the game since it's defensive, no risk, and can kill.

So maybe

F1
T2
P2
R1?

Yeah, I have to playtest to see how long it takes and what gameplay is like in practice.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I don't know how much you know about fencing, but I've taken a class on it, so I thought I would clarify your terms. I'm having a bit of trouble following how you're using them. Look at it this way: If I thrust and hit you, I get a point. If you try to thrust after me, I'll still hit first and get the point. But if you parry, my thrust will go off-center and miss. That's when you riposte and hit me while I'm off-balance. However, if I feint, that means I pretend to thrust instead of actually thrust. When you parry my feint, you won't deflect my sword (since it, you know, isn't there), meaning you're the one who's off-balance, not me. Now I can get around your parry, no problem. But if you realize I'm feinting, you can just thrust, since I'm too busy not hitting you to parry.

So to review:
Thrust beats feint, Parry-riposte beats thrust, feint beats parry-riposte.

ActingPower fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 31, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ActingPower posted:

I don't know how much you know about fencing, but I've taken a class on it, so I thought I would clarify your terms. I'm having a bit of trouble following how you're using them. Look at it this way: If I thrust and hit you, I get a point. If you try to thrust after me, I'll still hit first and get the point. But if you parry, my thrust will go off-center and miss. That's when you riposte and hit me while I'm off-balance. However, if I feint, that means I pretend to thrust instead of actually thrust. When you parry my feint, you won't deflect my sword (since it, you know, isn't there), meaning you're the one who's off-balance, not me. Now I can get around your parry, no problem. But if you realize I'm feinting, you can just thrust, since I'm too busy not hitting you to parry.

So to review:
Thrust beats feint, Parry-riposte beats thrust, feint beats parry-riposte.

Yeah, I knew I was using the terms improperly. I'm interested in Feint being a worthless card that you have to play strategically to improve your deck. Having a straight up rock-paper-scissors mechanic might work better though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
This isn't what you're asking, but:

I took fencing for a while in a previous life :corsair: and one thing that might work into your game and be a thematic match is that .. well, if we were in person this would make 100% sense 100x more easily but I'll try to explain. You can have multiple parries in the same "thrust" and at high levels it is as much a mind game as anything else, because it's happening too fast to actually see and react to.

When I thrust and you parry, the parry is actually a very small movement but it is the difference between the tip going into your chest (hit) and the tip sliding past your body (miss). This is how it works: your blade is crossing mine on its way to me and and I can parry by rolling my wrist and pushing your blade to the side just enough to make it miss. But the thruster can counteract this by a tiny movement - if I dip the tip of my blade UNDER your parrying blade to the other side, then you're now pushing thin air (in the wrong direction) and I'm back on the way to your chest unopposed. The correct parry direction started out one side but is now the other side.

This is a two-way street. If there is still time, the small parry movement can reverse to put the parry back on track. Which the thruster can counteract with another little dip. And so on. At high levels this can happen multiple times during a single thrust. So I've been told, anyway.

The point is that in the game, the actual thrust and parry might be abstracted away but there might still be an opportunity -- if you want to add something -- for the attacker to react to defeat the parry and for the defender to recover if the attacker is trying that. It could be used to add an element of what are you going to do, what do you THINK I'm going to do, what do you think I think you're going to do, etc.

In game terms, players could each have - number of each depending on the fencer's "Skill" or handicap - "Switch Direction" tokens and "No Change" tokens. You always play one to go with your play, revealing it along with your play. A plain Parry defeats a plain Thrust. But a Thrust + Switch Direction defeats Parry + No Change. A Parry + Switch Direction FAILS against plain Thrust BUT defeats Thrust + Switch Direction. And so on.

This may of course have no place in your game design but if it does there might be a way to make it work.