Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Say Nothing posted:

Probably already posted, but meh.

Grumpy catte, cute kid, both fancy-eyed. Good stuff. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Alteisen posted:

I love how apparently the best image of him is one where his dogs are all over him. :3:

Why would they use any other picture anyways

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

*Pulls the pin from a Cute Grenade.*
*Lobs it into thread.*

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

*Pulls the pin from a Cute Grenade.*
*Lobs it into thread.*

So do Red Pandas not have natural predators, or have they somehow weaponized adorable?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Kwyndig posted:

So do Red Pandas not have natural predators, or have they somehow weaponized adorable?

Snow leopards hunt them, although sadly their biggest threat is human poachers.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

One day, if I am rich, I will start a fund with the sole purpose of domesticating red pandas.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

If they get cornered they stand up to make themselves look bigger, so weaponising adorableness isn't too far off.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

MikeJF posted:

If they get cornered they stand up to make themselves look bigger, so weaponising adorableness isn't too far off.

That reminds me of this very accurate illustration (by Coelasquid).

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

Probably because humans have poached all the snow leopards too.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

MikeJF posted:

It's already too late to stop them. :kimchi:

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

Beardless posted:

My uncle has a friend, Randy, who, due to a neurological condition, went slowly blind, starting when he was 22. For several years he was in a wheelchair because of it. He eventually was able to walk again, and started hiking, with his guide dog Quinn, as well as some friends.

In 2012, he became the first blind hiker to reache the summits of all 48 mountains over 400 feet in New Hampshire.

The guide dog in these photos, Quinn, passed away about a year ago, but he has a new dog, and has taken up marathons. He'll be running in the Boston Marathon this Spring.

All of the photos came from his website.

quick aside: I also have a friend who knows Randy. He was his guide during the marathon they did just recently and is going to be part of his entourage when they do Kilimanjaro in the Spring. Randy is amazing. He seriously belongs in the feel good thread somewhere. To relate this to animals - I saw a video where he talked about the last thing he saw as he lost his sight and it was Quinn's face looking up at him.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Khazar-khum posted:

Quinn was happy his person had him along to keep things under control. Service dogs tend to consider their humans to be totally helpless without their constant attention. I'll bet Quinn preferred the snow to the rocks--if Randy fell, he was less likely to get hurt. They get stressed out if their partner isn't in sight. It's the deepest bond you will ever have, short of a marriage. And a lot of marriages aren't that close.

They totally seem to feel like their owners are helpless without them! My blind friend, who is also named Randy, once had an infected gum from a wisdom tooth extraction. He asked me to drive him to the dentist, and we took his guide dog, Butch, along. Randy was in a lot of pain, but he didn't know how long he'd have to wait, so he asked me to take Butchie outside for a pee. In the three or so minutes we were outside, the dentist called Randy in to the exam room. When we came back to the waiting room, Butch freaked. He ran around the room in a panic, looking for where his poor lost human might have gone to. I think he would have literally knocked the door down if I didn't grab him and restrain him. Thankfully, as soon as we showed him where Randy was he calmed right down and sat quietly in the exam room. The receptionist was so touched, she started crying. It was a really beautiful moment, but it was also kind of hilarious, as you could almost see the thought bubble above Butch's head reading "Oh poo poo! I lost him!".

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Domus posted:

They totally seem to feel like their owners are helpless without them! My blind friend, who is also named Randy, once had an infected gum from a wisdom tooth extraction. He asked me to drive him to the dentist, and we took his guide dog, Butch, along. Randy was in a lot of pain, but he didn't know how long he'd have to wait, so he asked me to take Butchie outside for a pee. In the three or so minutes we were outside, the dentist called Randy in to the exam room. When we came back to the waiting room, Butch freaked. He ran around the room in a panic, looking for where his poor lost human might have gone to. I think he would have literally knocked the door down if I didn't grab him and restrain him. Thankfully, as soon as we showed him where Randy was he calmed right down and sat quietly in the exam room. The receptionist was so touched, she started crying. It was a really beautiful moment, but it was also kind of hilarious, as you could almost see the thought bubble above Butch's head reading "Oh poo poo! I lost him!".

I wonder what makes that attitude form, though.
Is it part of their training? I know rather little about their training, other than using flutes to teach them which heights it's safe to walk under.
Or is it just normal for the owners themselves to inadvertently teach them by occasionally being helpless?

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Kwyndig posted:

They've developed fully automatic, armor piercing adorabullets.
And its seriously effective against pumpkins.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

aerion111 posted:

I wonder what makes that attitude form, though.
Is it part of their training? I know rather little about their training, other than using flutes to teach them which heights it's safe to walk under.
Or is it just normal for the owners themselves to inadvertently teach them by occasionally being helpless?

Dogs are selected for training based on temperament, and that is reinforced throughout the training period. Most dog training is about reinforcing or suppressing a basic dog instincts (find, stalk, chase, get, kill, return) that they have 'built in' from their wolf days. In this case, we take a universal instinct, 'parent', and reinforce it instead.

The dogs think we are helpless young packmates and the dogs go ahead with the requirements of that role as shown to them by other packmates (trainers). Like any parenting, this is a highly demanding, high energy position, so the dogs have to be able to manage it, but they are also incredibly social, and helping their pack to succeed is incredibly rewarding.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Domus posted:

. The receptionist was so touched, she started crying. It was a really beautiful moment, but it was also kind of hilarious, as you could almost see the thought bubble above Butch's head reading "Oh poo poo! I lost him!".

poo poo I started tearing up just reading this post. Dogs are probably the best thing that exists in the world.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Chexoid posted:

poo poo I started tearing up just reading this post. Dogs are probably the best thing that exists in the world.

They are bar none the best thing that people have ever created.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

EoRaptor posted:

Dogs are selected for training based on temperament, and that is reinforced throughout the training period. Most dog training is about reinforcing or suppressing a basic dog instincts (find, stalk, chase, get, kill, return) that they have 'built in' from their wolf days. In this case, we take a universal instinct, 'parent', and reinforce it instead.

The dogs think we are helpless young packmates and the dogs go ahead with the requirements of that role as shown to them by other packmates (trainers). Like any parenting, this is a highly demanding, high energy position, so the dogs have to be able to manage it, but they are also incredibly social, and helping their pack to succeed is incredibly rewarding.

This is pretty close. Caring for both young and the pack is instinctive. What the dog learns to do is understand that the person is its partner, and that they are responsible for each other's safety/well-being. Once the dog is placed with its partner, the normal human/animal bond is amplified by the constant interplay between the two. Dogs quickly become used to the idea that they are responsible for the success of the team.

That's why the dogs will raise hell if they can't be with their person. You can't trust the stupid, hairless apes to do anything right!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I know a service dog that's the sweetest thing around. But she's probably also the most lazy service dog there is.

:byodame: Get
:staredog: Are you sure you want that?
:byodame: C'mon, get it
:staredog: It doesn't look like a big deal.
:byodame: GET IT
:regd09: *sighs*
:regd09: *meanders*
:regd09: *gets it and returns*
:smugdog: I'M AWESOME

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

dupersaurus posted:

I know a service dog that's the sweetest thing around. But she's probably also the most lazy service dog there is.

:byodame: Get
:staredog: Are you sure you want that?
:byodame: C'mon, get it
:staredog: It doesn't look like a big deal.
:byodame: GET IT
:regd09: *sighs*
:regd09: *meanders*
:regd09: *gets it and returns*
:smugdog: I'M AWESOME

I really love that we had enough appropriate smileys to accentuate this interaction.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

They've developed fully automatic, armor piercing adorabullets.
And its seriously effective against pumpkins.

I'm convinced red pandas are just drunk raccoons.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Lipumira posted:

quick aside: I also have a friend who knows Randy. He was his guide during the marathon they did just recently and is going to be part of his entourage when they do Kilimanjaro in the Spring. Randy is amazing. He seriously belongs in the feel good thread somewhere. To relate this to animals - I saw a video where he talked about the last thing he saw as he lost his sight and it was Quinn's face looking up at him.

drat. Randy is also a huge Patriots fan, and once my Uncle went with him to a game (Randy gets season tickets every year, and apparently has an arcane system for figuring out which of his friends will take him to which game). After the game, Randy told Quinn to find my uncles car, which they had only been in once, in the parking lot of Gilette stadium. Quinn went right to it.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Sorry to interrupt dog chat, but I have some news I'm too excited to keep quiet on. My family member, who I mentioned before was in the hospital, is doing much better! She has Guillain-Barre, which has an 80% recovery rate BUT that recovery can take up to a year. I just found out today, that she might WALK out of the hospital next week! She is feeding herself and her stats are back to normal. I knew she was a fighter, but I didn't expect her to bounce back so quickly. Naturally, the disease will affect her for the rest of her life (the flu might be the end of her, and she's a nurse, so returning to work is likely impossible), but she's doing so much better!

She's the tiniest, most adorable, yet feisty and stubborn lady I know, so there's plenty of cute in this story too. I'd post her picture but I want to respect her privacy as much as I can while sharing the good news. :)

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Sorry to interrupt dog chat, but I have some news I'm too excited to keep quiet on. My family member, who I mentioned before was in the hospital, is doing much better! She has Guillain-Barre, which has an 80% recovery rate BUT that recovery can take up to a year. I just found out today, that she might WALK out of the hospital next week! She is feeding herself and her stats are back to normal. I knew she was a fighter, but I didn't expect her to bounce back so quickly. Naturally, the disease will affect her for the rest of her life (the flu might be the end of her, and she's a nurse, so returning to work is likely impossible), but she's doing so much better!

She's the tiniest, most adorable, yet feisty and stubborn lady I know, so there's plenty of cute in this story too. I'd post her picture but I want to respect her privacy as much as I can while sharing the good news. :)

:respek:

It's so awesome when people pull through stuff like this. It's like they just go NO gently caress YOU REALITY I'M BETTER THAN THAT.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

IslamoNazi posted:

:respek:

It's so awesome when people pull through stuff like this. It's like they just go NO gently caress YOU REALITY I'M BETTER THAN THAT.

Thank you! You've pretty much nailed it. She's the last person I know who would wither away in a hospital bed. I'd be willing to believe she'd say exactly that. "Nope, not gonna take this poo poo lying down, I got this poo poo."

She's a very close family member, and we've butted heads before (we're BOTH incredibly stubborn and headstrong), but I've always had a ton of respect for her. I'm so thrilled.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Innovative cat storage solutions

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

Azhais posted:

Ah, the Ikea Cättsrak.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Azhais posted:

Reminds me of the best subforum title:

Roguestar posted:

YOSPOS: some cats may go to sleep unexpectedly when stacked

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

The definition of :smugcat: (Why isn't this an emote?)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've also got a :lazycat: to go with that :smugcat:

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
cats have evolved the ability to grab things

we're hosed

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Is that how this works? Strangle the heterochromic cat, get the eyes?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

:kimchi:

awwww, that's a baby Leopard Cat isn't it?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
My brother stole a cat once. Her name is Belle.

He was living with someone who did not have a good grasp on anger management and used to beat the cat, well kitten at the time, severely. Her voice box really doesn’t work anymore, she can’t cry out for help, she has a lot of trouble even just purring. Belle did not have a good start to her life. So my brother stole her.

5 years later and she is still scared of basically anything. If you win her trust though it’s probably impossible to find a cat that will give you more affection than Belle does. I lived with her for years, fed her daily, before she was cool with me. This is a cat that does not have a good reason to trust people.

Now days she lives in a little 3 room shack in the middle of nowhere and couldn’t be happier. There are a bucket load of birds that she’s way to scared to actually catch but absolutely loves stalking for a bit. She’ll go up and say hello the the kangaroos and it’s amazing trying to work out who is more scared of who.

There are two things she really likes in life. Chasing down cat biscuits and getting brushed. You can’t stroke, scritch, pat, rub her for more than 30 seconds before she’s had enough of your poo poo but if you bust out the brush she’ll basically overdose on happiness. It’s still the only way to make her purr. It’s also guaranteed cat drool. A lot of cat drool. She’s pretty cool about it though because she’ll lick it up to stop you from being coated in cat drool, well to smear it around a bit anyway.

She’s still pretty good at hiding if she doesn’t want to hang out. She’s also so good at not wanting to ride in a car that people get enlisted to house sit to stop her from having to get in one. That isn’t much of a problem though, the super cool Thai lady next door will feed her home made fish cakes day in and day out and it costs a bucket of limes when you can get them. Belle is doing the best out of the deal but it’s pretty easy to get everyone else to the table to make it happen. (Jossies fish cakes are amazing btw).

So I’m currently on house sitting duties and have a bit of time and thought I’d write this up.

edit: Spellings

Birb Katter has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Feb 1, 2015

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Corssposting from the gif thread.

Jamesman posted:

A gif of bats hanging from a ceiling, but the image has been flipped upside-down.

It's so :3:

Chard posted:

Bats! They are the cutest friends of the night.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

Beardless posted:

drat. Randy is also a huge Patriots fan, and once my Uncle went with him to a game (Randy gets season tickets every year, and apparently has an arcane system for figuring out which of his friends will take him to which game). After the game, Randy told Quinn to find my uncles car, which they had only been in once, in the parking lot of Gilette stadium. Quinn went right to it.

(I was wrong.. it was his previous guide dog Ostend that was his last sight. Still. :( HBO did a series on fans and this is Randy's. It's a bit old now.. but TOTALLY shows off his Pats addiction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9-5ksq8iJE)

And.. to get back to cute critters: Some of the otters at the Woodland Park Zoo are named after the Legion Of Boom Seahawks secondary and they got to play with footballs and raise the 12 man flag in preparation for the Superbowl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpzg4BR9ttc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Bats are so freaking cool.

• Locked thread