Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
What is this Hardhome adventure speculation based on again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Maarak posted:

What is this Hardhome adventure speculation based on again?

I remember there was rumor about Jon being at Hardhome on Watchers a few weeks back. And the trailer seems to show a Wildling army fighting at a snowy coastal town, and there's a part of the trailer where you can hear Jon shouting "With me!"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wouldn't be upset if they skip the stabbing, especially if Jon is just going to be brought back

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My official guess would be the battle will be interspersed with cuts of Melisandre walking naked on the wall for some reason.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

bobjr posted:

My official guess would be the battle will be interspersed with cuts of Melisandre walking naked on the wall for some reason.

That's the easiest guess you can possibly make.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

On the other hand, everything they've added with Brienne, Pod, Arya and Sandor (including their fight) was wonderful. Even the megabrothel in the first two seasons was full of good stuff, even if it was mostly stupid ("Play with her arse").

Eh, I don't know. When Jaime and Ned had that duel in Season 1 I was pretty annoyed and almost stopped watching, because that's not how that scene happened in the books. Sure it was cool to watch, but completely made up for the sake of television. Same thing with Brienne and Sandor's fight. Fun scene that actually never happened.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

"Cool to watch" is the most important thing. You have to either accept that or you be mad until you decide to stop watching.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 31, 2015

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Steve2911 posted:

That reminds me that he hasn't even been elected LC yet. If he's going to be stabbed at the end of the series there's so much poo poo to get through. :psyduck:

Someone got hold of the script for episode 1 and summarised plot-points in a facebook post (spoilers obviously) back in August. People assumed it was bullshit but it contained a line from the trailer and the serpent/necklace thing that would have been impossible to guess.

More of the leaked script ( EP2 or EP3 perhaps):
-2)A short scene where Jon Snow is elected Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch. That was expected.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

enraged_camel posted:

Fun scene that actually never happened.

God, I don't know how to break this to you...

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Lycus posted:

My official guess is:

Jon will lead a mostly Wildling army to Hardhome.
The show's version of the battle will be a success. Jon will kill one or a few White Walkers with obsidian. The Wildlings will now look up to Jon as a legit leader and agree to the alliance with Stannis.
The Wildling love will upset the Night's Watch old guard, leading to the stabbing.

I think Marsh & Co are basically committing suicide if they do that, the reason they stop Jon in the books is because Jon is leading the Watch to certain doom while at the same time breaking one of the most important vows. I reckon the stabbing will be for the same reasons.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lycus posted:

"Cool to watch" is the most important thing.

There's already plenty of cool stuff in the show. Re-writing dialogues is fine, but I don't want them to rewrite entire scenes or invent new ones. Just rubs me the wrong way, that's all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

enraged_camel posted:

There's already plenty of cool stuff in the show. Re-writing dialogues is fine, but I don't want them to rewrite entire scenes or invent new ones. Just rubs me the wrong way, that's all.

So... I take it you never saw the other three seasons?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

meristem posted:

What were the most ridiculous theories in the past seasons? I remember 'Tyrion doesn't kill Shae', 'Talisa is a spy'... what else was there? Something about Locke? Anyhow, I consider 'Sansa turns into Lady Stoneheart (whether literal or figurative) on par with those.

Back in Season 2, some people on Winteriscoming theorised that Dagmer Cleftjaw was actually Ramsay Snow in disguise. This was because there was no casting news for Ramsay, Dagmer would fill the same corruptive role for Theon as Ramsay, Dagmer Cleftjaw didn't have a cleft jaw and because Ramsay originally disguised himself as Reek. There was also something about Dagmer's tunic with the Kraken sigil being ripped or 'flayed'. People believed it because this was back when the show followed the books pretty closely and also people wanted it to be true.

It was pretty dumb.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

So... I take it you never saw the other three seasons?

I skipped Season 2 and 3, yeah. Only recently watched Season 4, and I agree with your assessment that it was basically a rollercoaster ride of awesome stuff and terrible stuff.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

But would there be plenty of cool stuff if they strictly adapted Feast and Dance? Again, a lot of fans think those books are poo poo and that's why they don't mind hefty cuts and changes. It's possible that a strict adaptation would please you and a handful of superfans of those two books, but turn off most people. That would be bad.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
I think they're pretty decent with inventing standalone scenes (Tywin/Arya, Brienne/Sandor fight, etc.). Their track record for filler plotlines (Yara 'rescue', Gin Alley) however, has been atrocious.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

mr.capps posted:

Potato Kid has greatly improved the GoT universe and I can't wait to see what he does in this season.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
His name's Olly.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gin Alley guy was great and I will drink from the skulls of anyone who disagrees.

You think he knew how to make a skull into a cup already, or he had to practice on some of the other corpses lying around first to figure it out?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
When you been on the mean streets of Gin Alley that long I think you learn a thing or two about skull drinking.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mr.capps posted:

When you been on the mean streets of Gin Alley that long I think you learn a thing or two about skull drinking.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The main thing that bugs me about the Gin Alley plot is that Westeros doesn't have distillation. It's like having someone come from Gunpowder Alley.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's actually Jean Alley. Westeros doesn't have distillation, but they have denim.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If Westeros lacks distillation, where does strongwine come from?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Maybe they meant gin as in Gin Rummy :downs:

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Lycus posted:

It's actually Jean Alley. Westeros doesn't have distillation, but they have denim.

loving Levi of loving Jean Alley.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's Djinn Alley. Where wishes come true.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

It's Djinn Alley. Where wishes come true.

Aw, if only, then all the people who came into the thread after Robin Williams died and bizarrely proclaimed they wished he had been on GoT would've had their wish.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I tried thinking of what role Robin Williams could possibly play, only to realize he could play anyone. The less it fits, the better.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Maarak posted:

If Westeros lacks distillation, where does strongwine come from?

Stronger yeast, more sugar? You can make some fairly potent drinks without distillation. 26% ABV is not unheard of from simple fermentation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dolash posted:

I tried thinking of what role Robin Williams could possibly play, only to realize he could play anyone. The less it fits, the better.

The Kindly Man.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Besides Needle does she even have anything worth a drat?

The scene in the book has her tossing away stuff she's gathered in her various guises, they can make some poo poo up for her to throw away that connects with a few of her adventures.

I'm kinda disturbed by the shot of Sansa in a tub; I know Sophie Turner is like 19 now, but the character had explicitly been said to be 14 on the show. It would be creepy if they start sexualizing her now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

but the character had explicitly been said to be 14 on the show.

I don't know why they did that. Before that line, I think the show felt like it was one year per season, and I was cool with that.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Midnight City posted:

That shared reading app where you can put indentations in parts of books to see what other people were thinking at the same time was only ever worth it for three parts that I used it in, Darkstar's 'of the night' which was just a sea of "LOL", 'the north remembers' a wall of 'whoa' and Varys' speech made for no reason that was all 'uhhhhh'
Tell me more about this app, it sounds fun.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lycus posted:

I don't know why they did that. Before that line, I think the show felt like it was one year per season, and I was cool with that.

The books feel like its been a few months since Ned's execution to, I don't know, Kevan's murder. The show feels a lot longer as you said.

Dany is like 13 in the books, while the show they just haven't mentioned her age.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

meristem posted:

What were the most ridiculous theories in the past seasons? I remember 'Tyrion doesn't kill Shae', 'Talisa is a spy'... what else was there? Something about Locke? Anyhow, I consider 'Sansa turns into Lady Stoneheart (whether literal or figurative) on par with those.

Also, that Ros would be the Arya imposter seeing as there was no Jeyne Poole. For some reason that was really popular despite being incredibly stupid.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
It's kind of best to just go MST3K mantra on the age and timeline stuff, there just isn't anything they can do besides keep it fuzzy since the kids are just gonna keep aging like crazy. They cast more with the first season in mind, and they did an amazing job of it. If they went any younger, the kids would not have had the acting chops for the roles. I think only Bran really seems like he aged totally out of the role for suspension of disbelief.

I can deal without sexualizing Sansa for sure though, but I don't think there's much need to freak out over a potential bath scene that I assume isn't going to show anything.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

The books feel like its been a few months since Ned's execution to, I don't know, Kevan's murder. The show feels a lot longer as you said.

Dany is like 13 in the books, while the show they just haven't mentioned her age.

But the books actually have taken place over about two years so far. Robb was 14 when the series began and 16 when he died IIRC.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Beeez posted:

But the books actually have taken place over about two years so far. Robb was 14 when the series began and 16 when he died IIRC.

The first book took place over the course of a year but I think the others were a lot shorter timeframe.

Yeah, apparently the first book begins in 298 and ADWD ends near the end of 300, so about three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

computer parts posted:

The first book took place over the course of a year but I think the others were a lot shorter timeframe.

Yeah, apparently the first book begins in 298 and ADWD ends near the end of 300, so about three years.

I thought Joffrey's wedding coincided with the new century

• Locked thread