Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Having sat through AGE in my gundam marathon, I refuse to believe that unless proof is provided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm hoping the love for Tryon 3 begins a new renaissance in super robot anime.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Ka0 posted:

Having sat through AGE in my gundam marathon, I refuse to believe that unless proof is provided.

There was a post about it in the ADTRW Gundam AGE thread, if you can find it in the archives it was after the first couple episodes or so.

IIRC there was no telling if it was accurate or not or if it REALLY prompted the writers to scramble to rewrite everything, but I remember the thread's initial reaction to the leak to be something close to "Well, this show is being written by the writers from Level-5 and that seems like a suitably Laytonesque bullshit plot twist, sounds legit".

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 31, 2015

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm hoping the love for Tryon 3 begins a new renaissance in super robot anime.

If Shin Mazinger couldn't do it nothing can.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ethiser posted:

If Shin Mazinger couldn't do it nothing can.

Long have we lived in the age of fluffy cellar-dweller pandering.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gearhead posted:

Long have we lived in the age of fluffy cellar-dweller pandering.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ethiser posted:

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Studios are afraid to take risks because the current generation of their secondary demographic target are extremely touchy and sensitive. They will consume large amounts of merchandise for very little reward, but if you manage to somehow OFFEND them the fallout is horrible. Such as the disaster with Kannagi, where the main heroine mentioned that in her centuries of life she had once had a boyfriend.. and the fans of the books started BURNING THEIR MERCHANDISE.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gearhead posted:

Studios are afraid to take risks because the current generation of their secondary demographic target are extremely touchy and sensitive. They will consume large amounts of merchandise for very little reward, but if you manage to somehow OFFEND them the fallout is horrible. Such as the disaster with Kannagi, where the main heroine mentioned that in her centuries of life she had once had a boyfriend.. and the fans of the books started BURNING THEIR MERCHANDISE.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also the Kannagi thing was Sankaku taking like a few posts out on the internet and trying to spin it as something everyone was doing.

They have zero journalistic integrity whatsoever, and are best ignored.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

I like how he's reminiscing about "classy" animes of the past, when his sig is flogging his Dirty Pair mailing list.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

pnumoman posted:

I like how he's reminiscing about "classy" animes of the past, when his sig is flogging his Dirty Pair mailing list.

While everything about that picture is just perfect, that part especially so.

And of course if people could post on the internet in the 70s I bet we'd see posts decrying similar things for anime of that era.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well Manicured Man posted:

There was a post about it in the ADTRW Gundam AGE thread, if you can find it in the archives it was after the first couple episodes or so.

IIRC there was no telling if it was accurate or not or if it REALLY prompted the writers to scramble to rewrite everything, but I remember the thread's initial reaction to the leak to be something close to "Well, this show is being written by the writers from Level-5 and that seems like a suitably Laytonesque bullshit plot twist, sounds legit".

Having watched some of Level 5's other anime? Yeah "Humans from the future who are pretending to be bad guys to change the present to save their future" sound exactly like the sort of thing they'd do. I think what makes me saddest about AGE is we didn't get Level 5's usual ridiculousness. There's nothing in AGE that compares to stuff like toy robots assassinating leading political figures or traveling through time to become the best soccer players ever using the power of famous historical people.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Don't talk bad about Level 5, they gave use the sequel to Katamari Damacy!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

One thing that sort of bothers me with regards to both Tryon 3 and mobile armors is that it really appears that what it does is just leave two guys sitting on the sidelines despite being part of a three-person team. It feels sort of weird when Sakai's entire thing is "We want to keep playing Gunpla Battle as long as we can! Now you, Sakai, take over for all three of us!" It's the same with the Sid in that Sugita-guy's team is basically Him. We see his two allies but only in one walking shot and then welp.

With Tryon-3 it at least falls into the usual "our hearts become one" Super Robot stuff but still.

Hopefully this is only just because its a debut fight that only lasted for a minute or two.

I mean it's pretty much the SRX situation with Tryon 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qhGkwMHz4Y

Just give the other team members a line or two every once in a while to make them seem more than just warm bodies.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Having watched some of Level 5's other anime? Yeah "Humans from the future who are pretending to be bad guys to change the present to save their future" sound exactly like the sort of thing they'd do. I think what makes me saddest about AGE is we didn't get Level 5's usual ridiculousness. There's nothing in AGE that compares to stuff like toy robots assassinating leading political figures or traveling through time to become the best soccer players ever using the power of famous historical people.

Tell me this is real.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's not the same series but yeah

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Tell me what series I need to watch to see this.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's danball and inazuma 11

danball season 1 and wars are supposed to be good, and i don't know if inazuma 11 has an anime but i'd be shocked if it didn't

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

muike posted:

danball season 1 and wars are supposed to be good, and i don't know if inazuma 11 has an anime but i'd be shocked if it didn't

There is an Inazuma 11 animated series. No idea if it's any good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

There used to be a thread, if you wanna dig through archives. The OP definitely made it sound good.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The games are decent fun too, and are the original thing the anime is based on. The first series of Inazuma 11 even got an incredibly british localization, if you're into that.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Gearhead posted:

There is an Inazuma 11 animated series. No idea if it's any good.

Inazuma 11 started as kind of a Prince of Tennis type thing: Sports with super powers, although with a dose of the Power of Friendship and Guts! That was it for the first 2 games/seasons. And then we had Aliens Conquering The World Through Soccer. Then there was Time Traveling Soccer. It started out just plain old silly fun and then went full absurd and Saving The World And History Through The Power of Soccer And Guts!

It should be noted that the dubbed version of the anime was very much a "Dub For Kids" dub with lots of dumb translations and some stuff cut out and changed.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

muike posted:

I haven't seen W or Wars yet, but Danball Senki season 1 was surprisingly good with the presidential sniper plot and an antagonist trying to kill children with a humongous bulldozer. Also Inazuma Eleven is a wonderful Dragonball Z clone dressed up in a soccer uniform.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

nuru posted:

Tell me this is real.

As others have pointed out both are from different Level 5 Shows. The "Illuminati hired an Assassin to use a Toy Robot to kill the Prime Minister" is from Danball Senki, and early on at that. That's the plot of episodes 5 and 6. The "Get better at soccer using the powers of Joan of Arc and Oda Nobunaga to defeat the Soccer Illuminati from the Future" is from Inazuma Eleven GO's second season, and also the second time Inazuma Eleven as a whole did a Time Travel storyline. Basically if you thought AGE was an unfun, plodding, soulless failure go track down Danball Senki and Inazuma Eleven, you will be even MORE disappointed by the time those shows are over and you realize how much Level 5 were slumming it.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Inazuma 11 started as kind of a Prince of Tennis type thing: Sports with super powers, although with a dose of the Power of Friendship and Guts! That was it for the first 2 games/seasons. And then we had Aliens Conquering The World Through Soccer. Then there was Time Traveling Soccer. It started out just plain old silly fun and then went full absurd and Saving The World And History Through The Power of Soccer And Guts.

Please, it only took one season for them to diverge into "Aliens are invading the planet with Soccer!" And by that point they'd already fought the Greek Gods so it was barely a step up. And then to keep up appearances in the middle of the comparatively tame season 3 Inazuma Eleven had a filler arc where the heroes played a match against literal angels and demons and by the end brokered peace between Heaven and Hell. Using Soccer.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Omnicrom posted:

Please, it only took one season for them to diverge into "Aliens are invading the planet with Soccer!" And by that point they'd already fought the Greek Gods so it was barely a step up. And then to keep up appearances in the middle of the comparatively tame season 3 Inazuma Eleven had a filler arc where the heroes played a match against literal angels and demons and by the end brokered peace between Heaven and Hell. Using Soccer.

Ah, I hadn't watched much of the anime(which I may change) so I thought it more matched up with the games on a season-per-game basis. Guess I was wrong!

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I want a show centred around Minato, his team and Tryon 3. He's been one of the best parts of Try since the beginning and this episode just solidified it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Khisanth Magus posted:

Ah, I hadn't watched much of the anime(which I may change) so I thought it more matched up with the games on a season-per-game basis. Guess I was wrong!

Actually Inazuma Eleven does follow a 1 Season=1 Game thing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pXWMYhHhPDI

Have at it lads.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Holy poo poo, a cliffhanger?!

I am legit hyped for next week.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Astro Nut posted:

Holy poo poo, a cliffhanger?!

I am legit hyped for next week.

That and they get to fight GHIDORAH!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

LeadSled posted:

That and they get to fight GHIDORAH!

And from the last line of the next ep preview, this will probably be the point we see the HG Star Winning.

The fight was kinda fun, especially Fumina getting her badass moment to save the other two yet again, but it could have done without the clip show at the start.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Padding so they could make it into a cliffhanger I guess.

Not that I mind.

An observation: I think I've figured out what the Academy's gimmick is this season. They aren't intended to be villains, they're rivals. They're antagonists in a more literary sense, a contrast to the protagonists, forcing them to change and confront certain things. They have the same goal, winning Nationals, but approach it differently while starting from the same place. They are less outwardly emotional, more clinical and more detached. But all the same qualities the protagonists have are there, assembled in a different arrangement.

This may be why people feel like the Academy is a bit of a dud as a villain.

I'm REALLY expecting a dark horse.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 4, 2015

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Gyanko is still the best.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

shia strikes me as conniving for some reason, but i can't figure out what she's after

she comes off as a lot more bloodthirsty and arrogant in her conversations with her master than she does when dealing with anyone else

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

That was the most partsformiest partsformer I've ever seen.

Also I thought all the stuff with Gyanko and Shia at the beginning was really funny. Especially their speech to the triplets.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So far I think the only villain we're going to have is probably the other Jigen Haoh practitioner. Outside of a bit of arrogance and questionable writing, Gunpla Academy just seems to literally be the big rival team. Sure you can write Adou as a villain but after the summer thing, the show went out of the way to make him into just a rival for Yuuma. I don't feel like they were ever meant to come of as villainous.

Gyanko continues to be the best though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheManSeries posted:

So far I think the only villain we're going to have is probably the other Jigen Haoh practitioner. Outside of a bit of arrogance and questionable writing, Gunpla Academy just seems to literally be the big rival team. Sure you can write Adou as a villain but after the summer thing, the show went out of the way to make him into just a rival for Yuuma. I don't feel like they were ever meant to come of as villainous.

Gyanko continues to be the best though.

Adou definitely strikes me as someone who was initially intended to be a villain but I think they changed course on him. Now he just comes off as a dude who just really, really wants to have cool/challenging gunpla fights but is kind of an rear end in a top hat so he frequently forgets about sportsmanship and restraint instead of being actively malicious.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mejin- " At this rate he wont be able to rage on... " :smith:

Always be hamming Yuki.

Literally a clip show episode for the most part but I think they pulled it off as best as they could. You got some character comedy, some exposition confirming things we believed, when the fight actually started the Renato bros proved to be pretty good. Though these people keep underestimating the Winning. Sekai already looks beat so I doubt he'll be able to whip out burning at full capacity, Yuuma is already critical and is being towed by the star winning in the preview, I thought they were going to save off real mode winning till later but now's a good as a time to use it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gotta say, this episode wasn't bad but it was budget.

The first half was almost entirely recycled clips from the first half of the show and the second half was barely animated. They used every chance they could to avoid showing the robots moving and the 'fight' involved all four robots involved being completely incapable of moving.

Also the SD-Dragon looks really really ugly.

Ethiser posted:

Also I thought all the stuff with Gyanko and Shia at the beginning was really funny. Especially their speech to the triplets.

My general problem with it is just that Sekai's harem is the most forced thing ever. He has no fewer than three girls literally throwing themselves at him and doesn't even have a wacky comedy response to it. That scene was funny but mostly because Gyanko is helluva funny by default.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Oh my stars, this episode felt like it went by way too quickly. Time for Fumina to solo and save the day I guess.

• Locked thread