Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Raiding parties have to be marked as raiders while in your territory so make sure you set them as such before loading them into the ships. Raiding can also give your ruler the Viking trait which gives you +15 relations with all Norse characters and another +10 from other Vikings. In my last Norse game I found that many of my Jarls (dukes) did a ton of raiding and so most of them were Vikings. Having +25 with powerful vassals can make all the difference in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I just bought Resident Evil HD Remaster. I haven't played this game in about ten years so I forget a lot of the specifics. What should I know before I get back into it?

...How long does it take crimson heads to come back? :ohdear:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Save yo' typewriter ribbons.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Bloodcider posted:

I just bought Resident Evil HD Remaster. I haven't played this game in about ten years so I forget a lot of the specifics. What should I know before I get back into it?

I read like half an hour. I also read you should only kill zombies in rooms you will going through frequently and make sure to burn them. Personally I sort of said gently caress that game after fighting 7 crimson heads since I don't feel like starting a new game.

Oh, Jill is no longer "the master of unlocking" and she also doesn't almost become a "Jill sandwich".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bloodcider posted:

Just before the halfway point of the game you're going to fight a crimson head as a boss, after that they start coming back. It will be really obvious when this is about to happen so you can go back and burn bodies if you have to. IIRC ones you killed with the dagger or taser don't come back either.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Just before the halfway point of the game you're going to fight a crimson head as a boss, after that they start coming back. It will be really obvious when this is about to happen so you can go back and burn bodies if you have to. IIRC ones you killed with the dagger or taser don't come back either.

It wasn't obvious to me :smith:

Anyone know of good reliable mods for Banished?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sloober posted:

Starlight Soldier + real armor + shield makes you super tanky, but you need to have two points in shields to use a shield and polearm at the same time. Augment with banners and you're even harder to kill. Dungeonmans as a start just gives you any weapon/armor you could possibly want to start using and 5 skill points to distribute as you see fit, the other mans starts with 5 preallocated points according to what type of mans it is. Don't forget to turn in all relics and books to the headmaster and to use the drill sergeant to apply proofs of stremf to your characters, which you get from killing champion monsters. Don't be afraid to spend them, every proof you turn in gives you 2 points to spend and all future mans 1 point.

Thanks for this.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Bloodcider posted:

Unless you really have to, don't kill zombies, saves ammo and stops the crimson heads from spawning. A bit of practice and you should be able to dodge them even in tight corridors. If you do have to, shotgun them while aiming up at very close range to blow their heads off and stop reanimation.

The first giant snake you can just grab the key item and run away, saving ammo.

Dump the pistol in the item box once you reach the guardhouse.

The map shows when there's still an item to be found in a room.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

juliuspringle posted:

Any mods worth using or things worth knowing for Banished?

I haven't tried it myself, but from watching Let's Plays, it looks like the Colonial Charter mod would be worthwhile. It adds a bunch of new buildings to make, that will help fill in the time after you get past the basics, adds production chains to set up with new materials and some new animals for variety..

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've played a bit, but how about anything for This War of Mine? I'm pretty quickly getting the idea that sooner or later, you have to do something either dangerous or immoral to survive, but that's about as much as I've figured out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Actually, screw that. Doublepost.

This War of Mine
  • Yes, when a character dies, they die for good. And yes, there's only one save at a time with no way to go back.
  • Your first set of characters is random, but if you don't like them, you can reset immediately and pick from all the starting options.
  • At some point, you will be in a position where to survive, you will have to either do something terrible or something dangerous. This is, in essence, the core point of the game. Deciding, in that situation, what's more important, your safety, or your morals.
  • Now stop looking up tips for this game. It's balanced around learning how to survive as you go, and if you stumble upon overzealous help, you'll lose everything that makes it worth playing.
  • If you absolutely need more help, there's one more tip to give. Seriously, though, don't look at this spoiler unless your options are 'make the game easier' or 'stop playing entirely'.
  • Wait until your people are at Very Hungry before feeding them.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 30, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Bloodcider posted:

-Crimson heads come back in around 30-40 minutes, which isn't that big of a problem because if you know what you are doing and don't waste time, you will be leaving the mansion by the time they start spawning.
-The places where you should bother with burning bodies are around the save rooms.
-If you ever have to deal with a crimson head, just keep running. I would argue that they are less of a threat than regular zombies because they do this really wide lunge that almost always whiffs.
-Dump your knife and ink ribbons in the item box. With Chris, don't bother with holding onto healing items.
-Certain zombies never turn into crimson heads. There is only one already dead that will turn, but he is scripted to turn and as far as I know it is impossible to prevent him from doing so.
-Take the Wind Crest outside with you.
-Don't bother fighting the snake the first time.
-You run a little faster with no weapon equipped.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Anything for Invisible, Inc.?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anything for Dying Light?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Any tips for Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep? I just started the Final Mix HD remaster.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

Have a lot of normal zombies that you need dead, but can't clear them in melee safely? Stand up on something tall enough to be safe (like a van or a building) and toss firecrackers to gather them, then molotovs to clear them out. Neither firecrackers nor the molotov counts as anything loud enough that fast zombies will come to investigate.

Giant zombie in your way? Throw melee weapons at them. There's a relatively early game talent that will let you throw any melee weapon. Coincidentally, the big concrete club those assholes swing around makes a really good ranged weapon when you throw it at them. It's so good that it's worth carting around one or two of those rebar clubs in the early game so you can throw them whenever you encounter a giant dude.

Living people are really annoying to fight. Fortunately living people also really don't handle being lit on fire well. So any time you find a group of 3 thugs camping something you want (like a supply drop), throw a molotov right into the middle of them. All three of them will burn to death without any further intervention on your part. Also living people usually have great weapons that sell for good money, too, so don't forget to loot their weapons.

In coop, the loot you see (with the exception of weapons actively being wielded by the NPCs) is all instanced. So you see your own loot. Each of your coop buddies sees their own individual sets of loot. So feel free to take anything you see lying around; you're not being a greedy dick when you hoover up everything in sight.

Talent tips: Extra bag space is great. Crafting more items for fewer resources (aka make more molotovs) is great. Instant escape from zombie grabs is a literal life saver. Instantly killing prone zombies is revelatory. Camouflage is good. Jumping off of zombies while sprinting is good (and with the drop attack is hilarious). I never used two handed weapons, so I can't tell you if the talent abilities for two handers are any good, but the charged swing power attack for one handed weapons is garbage and usually will get your rear end eaten.

Don't go outside at night. The night time special zombies are real bad news.

Coop is really fun if you get strangers who will actually talk to you.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 1, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Counterpoint to the above: DO go outside at night, there are no penalties for dying at night and you get double EXP for agility and power, plus any night-time air drops are totally uncontested. It's pretty hard, but also pretty drat fun, so you'd be doing yourself a disservice avoiding it completely.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
You don't lose xp at night? I did not know that.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Any tips for Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep? I just started the Final Mix HD remaster.

Use a guide for Command Melding and Ability synthing. This is the best one I know of.

Second Chance, Once More, and Leaf Bracer will, as you probably understand, make things MUCH easier.

Dodging gives you mad invincibility frames, especially as Ven and Aqua. Blocking is incredibly responsive as well and Aqua's block protects her around all sides. Use dodges and block liberally.

Shotlocks (hold R1) are amazing and a great way to get free, safe damage.

If your normal finisher comes up after Land of Departure, you're not using your commands enough.

D-Links are great fun to level up and blast through trash enemies with, but they aren't that great against bosses.

...Except early game as Terra or Ven, who can both D-Link Aqua for easy access to early Cure magic.

When you beat the game with a character, keep their save file. If you lose their file you lose the credit for completing their story and you can't unlock the Final Episode.

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!
Just started SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked. The only other MAY I've played is the first third of SMTIV. What's the best way to handle the demon auction with all the various types of one kind of demon? Other various tips are welcome.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anything for Soul Nomad and the World Eaters?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Turtlicious posted:

Mod the poo poo out of whatever you don't like. All the game's data files are easily editable in Notepad++.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Iron Rose posted:

Mod the poo poo out of whatever you don't like. All the game's data files are easily editable in Notepad++.

Any personal suggestions here for something you might want to mod? Curious about this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Iron Rose posted:

The devs just patched the game to change data files and make it harder to mod, and they sent takedown notices to all the mods online they could find.

Kinda dickish.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone have anything for Invisible, Inc.? I forgot I picked that up at some point. Not sure why, because strategy games are so hard for my feeble brain :saddowns:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I feel like no one has played this--I plan on 100% syncing the PC version of Assassin's Creed Liberation HD. I did all the other ones (haven't played this year's yet) but I know there was some kind of glitch standing in the way of this before. Has that been fixed? Also any general poo poo I should know?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ProfZoom posted:

Just started SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked. The only other MAY I've played is the first third of SMTIV. What's the best way to handle the demon auction with all the various types of one kind of demon? Other various tips are welcome.

I've only played the original DS version, but Overclocked doesn't seem to have changed too much.

IIRC DeSu has a penalty for a demon's base level on damage it takes and receives, so you can't get away with something with an amazing resist set like Hecate forever as it'll eventually be rendered obsolete.

Racial skills are important to remember. Wilder's Devil Speed is extremely valuable for missions where you just need to get to a place quick enough. Get used to Wilder Mothman, as there is a 20 level gap between it and Catoblepas and that level gap happens to hit a lot of important 5th and 6th day events. Avian's Flight also helps with utility for movement. Megami's Affection costs a shitton of MP but is your only ranged healing option. Dragons and Viles can help your team pick on an enemy without enough range to counterattack, but extra turns are a big part of murderlizing an enemy so keep that in mind. Tyrant's Tyranny restores your MP and makes the enemy's next turn come later. Enough Tyrant beats and you can lock enemies out of turns.

Dances are better than elemental dynes - Elec Dance will vastly outperform Ziodyne against a single elec-weak enemy, though you may prefer regular spells for their reliability sometimes. Drain and Holy Dance are loving bonkers in general and are probably the best skills in the game. Thanks to adding an almighty strength-based attack and Pierce+ Overclocked makes physical attacks actually worth it besides Atsuro havving Hassohappa for grunts so I guess you can actually have two physical-based characters at once, if you want.

Skills have stat minimums to assign. Since you have allies to handle physical attacks, it's probably better to spec the protagonist as a wizard. 16 VI and AG will cover almost everything you want like element resists, though some of the neat-sounding new tricks in Overclocked go up to 20 AG.

Mystic resistance covers every status ailment so Resist or Null mystic will save you from everything from poison to petrify.

Beldr will kick your rear end.

Regardless of how badly you gently caress up the dialogue choices and time management you always have an easy-but-bad-and-lovely ending available, and in fact it might be worth taking first-time just so you get NG+ benefits for how sharply the level curve goes up in the real endings. Another note about endings, if you see an event related to the character Haru (the redhead singer in a dress that does not fit her) loving take it because she gets into a lot of trouble and literally every ending besides the failsafe requires her to get out of those jams.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

The devs just patched the game to change data files and make it harder to mod, and they sent takedown notices to all the mods online they could find.

Kinda dickish.

They claim they took those down to protect the online multiplayer they have coming, but are putting in some kind of mod support for single/Co-op play.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Watch Dogs on last gen.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Dying Light Mods work just fine with the Dying Light Manager Tool, and the devs are planning to reintegrate modding on the next patch. As for what mods to install... check out the Dying Light Nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/categories/

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Anything to know for Sly Cooper 1?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Anything to know for Sly Cooper 1?

In the one level (I think the first one with a hub) you can enter a "level" and then go back to the hub and the extra lives will respawn. Use that trick to stock up on as many lives as you feel you need or want.

edit: It's The Tide of Terror.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kind of an obscure one but any tips for Baroque? I played it a ton like seven years ago and recently had the urge to jump back in and try to beat it, but the game is so freaking cryptic I don't remember much of it.

I'd prefer spoiler free stuff - I know the plot progression is loving difficult and bizarre but I'm going to try to figure that out on my own, at least. Vague hints would be great though. Wii version if it matters.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ryoshi posted:

Kind of an obscure one but any tips for Baroque? I played it a ton like seven years ago and recently had the urge to jump back in and try to beat it, but the game is so freaking cryptic I don't remember much of it.

I'd prefer spoiler free stuff - I know the plot progression is loving difficult and bizarre but I'm going to try to figure that out on my own, at least. Vague hints would be great though. Wii version if it matters.

Both versions are identical (aside from the Wii version letting you access your special attack by waggling) so what works with the PS2 works with the Wii.

In any case, there's not really too much to work out that isn't plot-related. Throwing items into Consciousness Orbs lets you carry things over to your next playthrough (of which there will be at least a dozen or so at an absolute minimum), but you can only throw in one item per orb. There's almost always one on the final floor (you'll know it when you see it) with others scattered around the place randomly. Personally, I'd store whatever sword you have at the end of any run. Armour and wings are fairly common, but good swords are hard to find, especially the rarer ones with good effects. Glass equipment is nice, but utterly useless.

To start off with though, you'll want to find equipment that slows down your VIT consumption. It'll let you get a feel for the game without feeling like you're under as strict a time limit. Any time you go back to town, talk to everyone. The Coffin Man opens up a tutorial dungeon that explains the goddamn mechanics more clearly for you, so you may want to go there once it opens. he actually offers several tutorial dungeons, but they don't really explain too much more that you won't have already figured out

Don't try and fill out the voice collection. That way lies madness. While you're in the dungeons though, try throwing different things at the folks you meet in it - for example, toss various fluids at Dr. Angelicus. She has various things to say depending on what you use.

And when all else fails, die. You can continue from a mid-dungeon save at any time, but the people in the starter village have a lot to say. There's really only one 'puzzle' in the game (which is more a 'what the gently caress does that mean' kinda thing) and they can basically spell it out for you if you don't know what's being asked of you (very mild spoiler for clarification: it's 'pure water', they'll fill in the blanks for you if you don't understand what you need to do to trigger the next part of the plot

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Anything for Darkest Dungeon? I picked it up on a whim last night and oh god it is destroying me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There's a thread, if nothing else.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Bussamove posted:

Anything for Darkest Dungeon? I picked it up on a whim last night and oh god it is destroying me.

Hieronymous Alloy posted a pretty good Starter Guide on Steam

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alpha Protocol? Going to start it tonight so time is of the essence goons!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

oldpainless posted:

- Don't save scum, it messes up everything good about the game.
- Pistols / stealth are a great combo for a first run as they're very powerful together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

oldpainless posted:

Don't bother playing on Hard unless you're on the 360 and going for achievements. Pistols/Stealth is probably one of the most broken combinations of skills there is. Play as a Recruit your first time, the lack of ability points won't hurt you that much and you'll get some extra responses that'll make up the difference in the beginning.

Finally, this is a game made for multiple playthroughs.