Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I decided to look at the Salty Suite and it's really boring. Are these guys lower end of pro players or what because it's not hype at all :sigh:

It's been swallowed by eSports. They used to drink and throw dollar bills at each other but then they sold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

laplace posted:

My boy completely wrecked Chillin and before that PC beat Ken.

It's a good day to be into smash.

How the hell does anyone a douche like Leffen?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Leffen has been really awesome these past few tourneys, he plays incredibly well and different from a lot of players, and he has an incredibly good work ethic. At Beast5 when he beat Mang0 and got interviewed, D1 asked him if there was anything he had to say to Mang0 and instead of popping off all he said was 'I just practiced a lot at this matchup and got better. That's all there is to it.'

Leffen talks poo poo but he backs it up with legitimate hard work and motivation, which is something I respect quite a bit. He's also a final fantasy villain in real life which is incredibly amusing.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

PC Chris showed up after a 9 year retirement and still beat Liquid loving Ken. :lol:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

laplace posted:

It's a good day to be into smash.

So it is a day. :geno:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I've had Smash Bros for a month now, and I'm having a hard time staying motivated to play. I really enjoyed the original game and Melee, but I think that this being the third time I've had to relearn to play well is taking its toll. I'm making progress, but it's very slow and frustrating. Aside from fighting online, what are some of the funner solo things the game has to offer?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

How the hell does anyone a douche like Leffen?

Heels>Faces

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've had Smash Bros for a month now, and I'm having a hard time staying motivated to play. I really enjoyed the original game and Melee, but I think that this being the third time I've had to relearn to play well is taking its toll. I'm making progress, but it's very slow and frustrating. Aside from fighting online, what are some of the funner solo things the game has to offer?

this game has some of the worst single player content i have ever seen in a video game. if the multiplayer isn't grabbing you then this game probably isn't for you unfortunately.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i guess home run contest is still fun

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

sharrrk posted:

if the multiplayer isn't grabbing you then this game probably isn't for you unfortunately.

to be fair there is no smash bros. that this is an exception for

it's still really bad though

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

At least Melee and Brawl had their stupid little Adventure/Story modes. I have fun in single player just trying out completely random characters, but I also a. suck at the game and b. don't mind losing a lot.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

What the gently caress is wrong with you people I am not giving you 10 Rosalina amiibos no I will not take your bribe I kept the stock behind a locked cabinet for a reason you chucklefuck.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you people I am not giving you 10 Rosalina amiibos no I will not take your bribe I kept the stock behind a locked cabinet for a reason you chucklefuck.

Look, I'm just trying to buy them all up to express my hatred of the character. That's pretty reasonable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I realize this isn't the thread to get mad about it so I'll leave you with this.

Rosalina is a JoJo character. In a game where most projectiles don't stuff much. Outstanding.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Today I learned Link's down tilt has a spike hitbox. Huh.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

messagemode1 posted:

He's on stream in the salty suites right now. He's getting destroyed by Leffen.

:(

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

mabels big day posted:

there is a Konami spot open with Snake's removal

But the Konami slot is already reserved for Bomberman.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The 3DS version has the much better single-player content. The Wii U version may as well be online only.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Well poo poo. Is there an easy way to grind out special moves and such at least?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Well poo poo. Is there an easy way to grind out special moves and such at least?

Trophy Rush until your eyes bleed.

Which takes gold, so also get used to Spectator Mode, which is still probably the fastest way to grind out cash even without it looping the same six matches over and over for easy loot like at launch.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Japanese Greninja play is pretty cool

and now we got Robin and Rosalina this character variety is nice.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Plasbad posted:

One of the easiest and quickest ways of getting custom moves for me is to go into Target Blast and pause as soon as it starts. If you see a target with a wrench symbol on it, then good. If you don't just press LR/LZ/Whatever button on your control is mapped to retry, and it'll reload everything so you can keep reloading until you get a layout with a wrench. I personally enjoy Target Blast anyway so it was much quicker than most of the other methods, but if you want something different then Crazy Orders is another good way of getting customs. Just pick fights that have the symbol of the character you want the moves for.

Coaaab posted:

Yeah, this was the main method I used, if you mess around with an initial character (test custom moves, train, go online, etc.) and then go to target blast with whatever character, the custom moves (wrenches) that you can acquire tend to focus on that initial character.

Scrree posted:

Japanese Greninja play is pretty cool
Oh wow, aMSa's Greninja 2-0'd Ally's Mario

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Don't call it a comeback.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Scrree posted:

and now we got Robin and Rosalina this character variety is nice.

Someone please post the link to the VOD later, this is something I really wanna see.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

Don't call it a comeback.

What's the deal with that phrase? I don't get it.

Also, for those paying attention, how many Diddy Kongs are in the finals?
e: get murdered, Diddy :getin:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 1, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Your Computer posted:

"I've been here for years"

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Your Computer posted:

Also, for those paying attention, how many Diddy Kongs are in the finals?
e: get murdered, Diddy :getin:

You would be better at the game if you would stop whining about good characters all the time.

Everybody says omg diddy is such a problem, but if it wasn't diddy it would be ZSS or sheik or whatever the next-best character is. Just shut the hell up and play.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sade posted:

You would be better at the game if you would stop whining about good characters all the time.

Everybody says omg diddy is such a problem, but if it wasn't diddy it would be ZSS or sheik or whatever the next-best character is. Just shut the hell up and play.

Nah I'm just wondering how many Diddy Kongs are in the finals. I still loving love the game, don't worry :munch:

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
I know Zero and M2K play diddy, but they're facing each other in winners semis. Arrowlink played diddy game 1, but switched to Palutena (and still got bodied by THE PAC). I don't know of any others actually.

E: Honestly the character variety has been amazing. Rosalina, Greninja, Diddy, Shiek, Pac Man, DHD, Ness, Robin, Palutena, Mac, Sonic, and Mega Man at least in top 16.

E2: and now Fox too.

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 1, 2015

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LanceKing2200 posted:

I know Zero and M2K play diddy, but they're facing each other in winners semis. Arrowlink played diddy game 1, but switched to Palutena (and still got bodied by THE PAC). I don't know of any others actually.

E: Honestly the character variety has been amazing. Rosalina, Greninja, Diddy, Shiek, Pac Man, DHD, Ness, Palutena, Mac, Sonic, and Mega Man at least in top 16.

E2: and now Fox too.

That's a good mix :monocle:
Why haven't I seen a single Dedede though? Are heavy characters just bad competitively or are fast characters just more suited to the playstyle of ~*~competitive smasherz~*~ (considering most have been playing for many years)?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Dedede's projectiles suck because you can hit them back at him with extreme ease and they KO very low on reversal.

People generally don't play him because of this.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wait, is Zero the scarf dude who played ZZS at the invitationals? He's actually a good player? :aaa:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Wait, is Zero the scarf dude who played ZZS at the invitationals? He's actually a good player? :aaa:

Yes. Zero is considered the best Brawl player ever and possibly the top, if not in the top 5 for PM. He is very good.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Why haven't I seen a single Dedede though? Are heavy characters just bad competitively or are fast characters just more suited to the playstyle of ~*~competitive smasherz~*~ (considering most have been playing for many years)?

Because there's 50+ characters and not every one of them is gonna be able to make a splash. Makes sense that one that was overexposed in Brawl and ate some nerfs in 4 is among the ones not getting a lot of rep. (also see: Metaknight)

I'd also add that I don't think Dedede is very good in 4, but there's Pac Man in the top 8 so if an actual garbage trash character can show up and, well, show up, the King's playerbase really has no excuse.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

laplace posted:

Yes. Zero is considered the best Brawl player ever and possibly the top, if not in the top 5 for PM. He is very good.

Zero's never won an international for Brawl (unless he won this Apex? I haven't seen anything about Brawl this year). Nairo is considered higher.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Huh, you learn something new every day.

Ninjalady Team Vs. Monkey Team is kinda hilarious and very Smash, dislike the characters or not.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I think it was determined by overall winrate, he's beaten the top/won the most tournaments in general compared to anyone else and has a positive win record against the other Brawl Gods.

I don't really follow brawl so I'm not sure if that's changed recently, but for a long while he was considered to be the #0 Brawl player on the rankings.

EDIT: oh i forgot about 9B, who is the current #0. I forgot Japanese players were sort of insane in brawl. Still.

laplace fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 1, 2015

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

The fastest way I've found to grind out custom moves is play All-Star on hard, if you can do it.
For CDs, it's probably Crazy Orders, though you need to get tickets or gold to do it.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Your Computer posted:

There's also been ZSS, Lucario, Pikachu, Falco, Luigi, Yoshi, ROB, Link, Dark Pit, Villager, Shulk, Marth, DK, and Bowser JR, that I've seen do very well in pools. Pretty much the whole cast is viable.

The only characters I haven't really seen at all have been MK, DDD, Wario, Peach, Ike, and Doc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

• Locked thread